ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #121
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Count me in for one of those who had moved from a larger cc bike to a 250. I have had my 250 for about a week and 350 miles later I gotta say this bike is FANTASTIC! Once I get past that 500 mile mark I will be able to commute with it and really start piling on the miles.

My other current ride is a Harley street bob. Beautiful bike and I will never get rid of it. However, my 250 fills in those gaps that the dyna can't touch. At this point I can't see myself getting rid of the 250 either. It has plenty of power and agility to do all the things I am after for the twisties.

I have also had:
1200 sportster
1200 goldwing

Gotta agree with CC Cowboy. Having a a cruiser and a sport bike truly has made me a happy man. If I could afford a dual sport and/or a dirt bike, life would be perfect.
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #122
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Zach, keep it down about the Goldwing. You don't want to get labeled in a certain way.

I saw a guy pumping gas while he sat on his Goldwing. You know where the gas filler is. All I could think about was him spilling gas on his unit, jumping up from the sting, and then the bike bursting into flames. Yea I chuckled a bit (for the rest of the day).

Old June 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #123
Nny
ninjette.org member

Wow, and I thought I was lazy. I guess I just don't have the kind of dedication that guy did.
Not willing to part with "the boys" just so I dont have to stand up for 2 minutes.

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #124
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

I took Harley up on their test rides today. I rode a few, but my favorite was the Street Glide. It was a different experience. Those big Harleys redline at 5500 rpm, so that took some getting used to, but overall I was surprised at how easily sport bike skills transferred onto a bigger bike. I felt right at home on it after the first mile. The protection of the fairing wasn't something I was prepared for. That was nice. I also liked the fact that it seemed unaffected by wind or passing traffic. It just plowed on down the road. I think I could get used to a big bike, but I'm not very happy about that big sticker price. I didn't ride the Ultra Classic, but I'd consider that too.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #125
Nny
ninjette.org member

I have been over at our local HD dealer here testing those bikes out too. Took the ultra classic out. I was really impressed with how comfortable it was. Sticker price is a bit high ..but I guess any big touring bike like that will be.

After a day of riding all their bikes I gotta say I am really happy with what I have.
Though I did like the fact I was able to go grocery shopping with my goldwing.
If it wasn't for winter I wouldn't have a need for a car.

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #126
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

my 250

i like it alot...once im in second gear, i find first to second , well just launching this bike period is its downside and as i rarely look at the speedo and i dont care how fast im really going once im in the wind this feels great here in my backwoods twisties i see no traffic or cops. i run with 1200 sporsters and 600's fine

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #127
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

250R is my first bike..Im the type of guy that like to change things around.. I love my 250R, it do all I need, the only reason I'd change bike would be for having something different.. I will admit that I'm really eyeing the suzuki sv650s..

Also I really loved the small yamaha v-star 250 we had at the MSF class, it had a nice exhaust tone for a 250. I can see myself with multiple old bike later on, I have no desire for the supersports, since I'm poor I'll never pay more than 4000-5000$ for any bike, lol.!
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #128
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
250R is my first bike..Im the type of guy that like to change things around.. I love my 250R, it do all I need, the only reason I'd change bike would be for having something different.. I will admit that I'm really eyeing the suzuki sv650s..

Also I really loved the small yamaha v-star 250 we had at the MSF class, it had a nice exhaust tone for a 250. I can see myself with multiple old bike later on, I have no desire for the supersports, since I'm poor I'll never pay more than 4000-5000$ for any bike, lol.!
New Yamaha 125 Rossi Replica. I'd love to have one but not sure I could handle the speed.

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #129
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

This is a great thread and a confidence booster for me considering I just bought a 250 :P

Old June 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #130
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm just curious what you all think of your bikes. Do you plan to move up to a larger bike once you "get used to" the awesome 250 power and are ready to properly ride a "real" motorcycle?? Or do you feel this bike is the cat's pajamas and it is all the bike you will ever need for the rest of your life?

For me, I've moved from previous CBR 600s to this bike and cannot be happier. I like my new toy and think it will be with me for many years to come. I love working on and modding the bike just to get a bit more edge than what it currently has, but, for me, the real kicker is when I hit the twisties and am able to carve tight lines quickly and effortlessly compared to my previous bigger, heavier, more powerful bikes.

So, what say you? Does this bike satisfy the itch or is your ninja 250 merely a gateway drug for bigger, better, more??

I'm very interested to hear what you all feel. I'm relatively new to the board, but can see the average user here is a bit more mature (read older) and sensible.

thanks in advance for your opinion.
after a quarter century hiatus from motorcycling i finally put my foot down and told my wife, "you knew i rode before we got married and now that i am retired i'll do what i damn please",... so that was three years and 52,000 miles ago...

put 41k on a couple of 250s and 11k on a zzr600...yes kelly, i am glad i started again on a 250, nimble and more than fast enough for the kind of riding i do...unlike the gs750 i used to ride, a barge from the late 70s...after fighting and honing your skill on a big heavy bike and finding yourself flicking through the corners on the 250, you realized that the wife is right, size does not matter...wait that did not come out right......guys and gals, after manhandling and bullying the gs, the 250 is a piece of cake...

but i digress, got the zzr over a year ago and when it is time to go riding i usually take the 250...the zzr just attracts too much attention with its' slip on...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #131
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
after a quarter century hiatus from motorcycling i finally put my foot down and asked my wife, "you knew i rode before we got married and now that i am retired i'll do what i damn please, if you will let me",... so that was three years and 52,000 miles ago...

put 41k on a couple of 250s and 11k on a zzr600...yes kelly, i am glad i started again on a 250, nimble and more than fast enough for the kind of riding i do...unlike the gs750 i used to ride, a barge from the late 70s...after fighting and honing your skill on a big heavy bike and finding yourself flicking through the corners on the 250, you realized that the wife is right, size does not matter...wait that did not come out right......guys and gals, after manhandling and bullying the gs, the 250 is a piece of cake...

but i digress, got the zzr over a year ago and when it is time to go riding i usually take the 250...the zzr just attracts too much attention with its' slip on...utlaw4

Sometimes my wife even lets me ride with her and her Harley friends:
You da man!

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #132
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Had not posted on this thread

So I thought I would, esp after Kkim bumped it. (I've noticed he likes to bump things )

I'll be keeping my 250 for a while. Like several others on here, it is my first bike. I didn't start riding till last winter and was only doing it for commuting and 60 MPG. But after getting it, I started just riding around to get used to it before I started riding to work, and found that it is a blast to ....just .....ride. I thought it would be waaay underpowered when I got it here to socal. But the ride from the port in San Diego changed my thinking on that. Although I had it rev'ing in 5 digits, it didn't take much to be going 80 and keeping up with traffic on the I-5. Before I got this one from a friend that was mvg up to a H-D road king, I was looking REAL seriously at a Vulcan 500. I sat on it in the showroom and, OMG, it was so comfortable. I don't regret getting the ninjette, but like several others, I wouldn't mind having a cruiser, if only to be able to take SWMBO with me on a ride. Jr is always wanting to go for ride, but momma put her foot down and said no way was I taking her baby on a motorcycle. Another bike that I have fell in lust, oops sorry, love, with is the Triumph Daytona triple. Sat on the 2010SE and was almost ready to start signing papers. BUT, and that is a big but, I could barely touch my toes on the ground, so unless I grow a few more inches, and at 43 that likely isn't going to happen (maybe out, but not up), I will have to look at the pictures.

Maybe in the future I may get a bigger bike, but for now, my ninjette suits me fine.

NB

Plus, I don't believe I need a big bike to compensate for a little......never mind, you know.

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #133
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
Plus, I don't believe I need a big bike to compensate for a little......never mind, you know.
For me, that reasoning is a moot point anyway - there isn't a bike big enough to compensate for nothing

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #134
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
For me, that reasoning is a moot point anyway - there isn't a bike big enough to compensate for nothing

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #135
tylerdurden119
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristopher

Motorcycle(s): BLACK 09 250r, burnt orange 09 zx 6r

hasta luego

I have moved up, but not for the lack of power or handling. It was for plain comfort. I'm 6'3 and the bike was just a bit too small, was murder on long highway riding, tucked in. If the seat to peg height was just a bit bigger i woulda kept her. I wound up gettin a zx 6r to keep it in the kawi fam. I do miss how i could flick her around but the 6 isn't that far off especially for a big guy. I thought i could manage with the tight cockpit but just couldn't take it anymore.
tylerdurden119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 02:51 AM   #136
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I would like the new 650r, but I really want to hold onto my 250r.... in case the 650r has to go back. It would also be nice to have in case I want to ride with a less experienced rider, who has no bike (very short list I would trust).

Wife said I could get the 650r when the 250r was paid off, which would be now but we underestimated the cost of gear, maintenance, farkles, etc. BUT, the pilot's license may have to take priority over another bike, since I do already have "the cat's pajamas," as Kelly says.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM   #137
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
It would also be nice to have in case I want to ride with a less experienced rider, who has no bike
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM   #138
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

It is a gateway bike depending on the riding you want to specialize in. For an in town commuter, I don't see a better option out there. It is enjoyable, peppy, stylish, efficient, and inexpensive, relative to bigger bikes.

However, I just came back from a 150 mile jaunt on the North Dakota highways with significant crosswinds. If I were going to be a cross country tourer, this bike would not be on my list. Props to you ladies and gentlemen that can take these touring!
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM   #139
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
why not?

Old June 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM   #140
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngrNewf View Post
This is a great thread and a confidence booster for me considering I just bought a 250 :P
250's rock.

I want a new bike. I want a brand new ZX6R, but I don't want to give up the little 250. It is a blast, and cheap to own/maintain.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #141
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

I originally thought I'd get the 250 as a gateway/learner bike. After riding it for ~500 miles, I'm not sure that I'll need any more bike unless I end up wanting to do long rides on highways.

I love this little bike!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM   #142
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I want a 600 sooo bad, but I'm afraid. I feel like I can barely handle my 250, lol!

1.) Anytime I'm parked on a slope, my feet can't touch the ground, so I usually have someone help me so I can get off the bike. When I'm ready to leave, I usually have someone turn my bike around and face it towards the decline so I can hop on and take off. I'm sure most of you are probably scratching your heads and wondering "WTF is this girl talking about?!" but I'm sure there are a few very-vertically-challened people out there with the same problem

2.) When I dropped my bike, my shifter bent inward. I couldn't bend it out myself, but luckily I always ride in a group, and one of them was able to un-bend the shifter.

3.) I'm still having problems putting the bike up on the rear stand. I feel like I have no muscles!

4.) Ever since my low side, I've felt terrified with the twisties. I love the twisties, but lately, when I even THINK about riding through the twisties, I start dry-heaving (I must be crazy.) When I get past the dry-heaving, I'm out in the twisties, and I get ready to go through turns, panic-mode takes over and my body clenches up as if it's waiting to hit the ground. I'm trying to fix this, but it seems easier said than done.

Ok now you all probably think I'm a short, weak, nutcase. I can assure you I'm not a midget (legally), I have enough muscle just to get around, and I'm not psychotic.
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM   #143
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

The 250 is my first bike, and I've only had it a month. I did my first road trip (240km) a couple weekends ago and didn't find the bike uncomfortable at all! I even got to experience the "semi-truck wind blast" and could handle it fine, even though both the bike and I are lightweights. (Really scary being suddenly hit by a wall of air though!)

I do lust over other bikes, but then the reality check sets in: Even if I eventually DO use the 250 to its fullest extent and have all the skills I need for a larger bike, I will not be able to physically handle one. I am too f*cking short.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM   #144
headshrink

It's funny how many of those who still do want a bigger bike, if they can afford too, still hold onto their 250r. Not to mention those who return to the 250r after owning 600+ bikes.

This is one of the few things I have purchased with ZERO regret or questioning, "what if" or "should I have bought..." The funny thing is, I always over research everything, if that is possible, but my search that led me to the 250r (2008) was uncharacteristically short.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM   #145
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zev42 View Post
1.) Anytime I'm parked on a slope, my feet can't touch the ground, so I usually have someone help me so I can get off the bike. When I'm ready to leave, I usually have someone turn my bike around and face it towards the decline so I can hop on and take off. I'm sure most of you are probably scratching your heads and wondering "WTF is this girl talking about?!" but I'm sure there are a few very-vertically-challened people out there with the same problem
*raises short arm*

I JUST posted about this issue in the n00bs thread... I have issues getting over the curb (getting off the driveway) because my feet are dangling. My boyfriend's been backing my bike out every single time I want to ride.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM   #146
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
I will not be able to physically handle one. I am too f*cking short.
Sure you'll be able to handle one! Ever hear of Danny Pedrosa? He races MotoGP. He's so small he can't lift his race bike if it falls over, he can't touch the ground when sitting on the bike and I think he eats for free at Denny's with a paid adult meal

I used to ride with a guy in PA that could only put one foot down when he came to a stop... I don't recall his actual height. He was on an old Ninja 750 back then.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #147
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Sure you'll be able to handle one! Ever hear of Danny Pedrosa? He races MotoGP. He's so small he can't lift his race bike if it falls over, he can't touch the ground when sitting on the bike and I think he eats for free at Denny's with a paid adult meal
LOL... He is my height exactly. The bike he started racing on has a pretty short seat height, though I don't know about the MotoGP ones...

I can't even lift a Honda CBR125.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #148
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
*raises short arm*

I JUST posted about this issue in the n00bs thread... I have issues getting over the curb (getting off the driveway) because my feet are dangling. My boyfriend's been backing my bike out every single time I want to ride.
For riders like you guys, you need to consider lowering the bike or other ways to make your feet touch the ground. Itll be way more comfortable!

Please, take your time and read through this! Itll make life on your 250 much more relaxed.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Am_I_to..._motorcycle%3F

Even though its for the earlier generation 250, you can take most of the ideas from it and apply it to newer gens, if thats what you ride. Stay safe
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM   #149
Jam3s
n00b

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r Blue Area P, Factory Pro Jet kit, woodcraft rearsets, Galfer SS brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
You know, I have a hard time predicting where my threads will go. I could have sworn there would be many that would have said the 250 was their stepping stone to a larger bike. I guess the make up of this forum is a lot more mature than I envisioned. It just seemed like every young stud out there is just itching to switch from their beginner bikes to a 150mph crotch rocket after a few months on their little 250.

kudos to you guys and gals for renewing my faith in 250 owners.

i bought my 09 250 in march and now have 3000 city miles on it. i love it to death! it will never leave my garage.... ever. Motorcycling is in my family so i had to get one and am now hooked for life. But as much as i do love the 250. Even though i am married man i still am a dumb young stud and if we weren't so poor "im a mechanic and my wife's a waitress" i would have a ducati 1198 S Type R Sti L twin monster. But for now the 250 is more than enough for me. And even if i had a super mega bike i still think that every time i hop on the ninjette i will smile and then bounce every gear off the rev limiter with my knee and elbow down
Jam3s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #150
MtnCruiser
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2 2004 Ninja 250 and 2008 VTX 1300

I've owned all kinds of bikes over the years so I would not say that the 250 is a "Gateway" bike for me. My wife and I both ride and she has always preferred cruisers. I have owned several cruisers but I personally prefer a standard type seating position, the cruiser slump takes a toll on my lower back after I ride for a while. My wife had to take a break from riding her own bike for a while due to medical reason. When the Dr. released her to ride earlier this year I talked her into giving the 250 a try so I immediately found a good deal on 2 2004's before she changed her mind. Within a couple of trips to the Mtns. I think she has been converted. The 250's work out great for us. Most of our riding is in the NE Ga Mtns so the maneuverability of the 250 is awesome. I use the bike as my primary transportation most of the year so the fuel mileage and inexpensive maintenence. My wife is more of a fair weather rider so when we take longer trips we usually haul the bikes, it is great to be able to load both bikes into the back of my Quad Cab Dakota and I have a lightweight 3 rail trailer that I can haul the bikes on when I take the Grand Cherokee.

Sometimes we talk about moving up to a bigger bike. I would like to have a bike with a more up to date look and there are times when I would like to have a little more power. Many times I find myself stuck behind slower moving vehicles that I would feel more comfortable passing if I had just a little more power. I would love to see someone come out with a bike that would fill the void between the 250 and the 600cc bikes. If Kawasaki would fit their 400cc ZR-X engine into a New-Gen 250 frame I would go out right now and put a deposit down on 2 of them, I think that could very well be my perfect all around bike.
MtnCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM   #151
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I love how varied the answers are here. I assumed everyone was going to say they are ready to upgrade. I see I was way off...

I guess this hits home for me because I am so conflicted about my 250. It's my first bike. I've only had it for 3 months. But I realize it's not meeting expectations. Power is a part of the equation. But, it's mainly because I know that I am going to have to spend a decent amount of money and time to get the bike exactly where I want it: Clip-ons, exhaust, tires, rearsets, windshield, and various tweaks like shimming. Money-wise, it's in the 600 territory when it's all done.

To be honest, I got the 250 because of peer-pressure. Everyone kept saying: "You need to start with a smaller bike." "A 600 is going to jump from under you since you are just learning how to ride." "You are going to die since you don't know how to handle that power." So, I caved and got the 250. Now that I've been riding for a bit, I can say that all of those things said about the larger bikes are true, but also true for the 250. You are just as likely to get in an accident, go down, or die on the 250. In some cases, I think you are more likely, but that's a whole different topic.

I'm hoping my attitude about the bike will change once I move back to DC. I like riding it. And as most people say, it's a blast! I just don't think South Florida is the place to have a 250.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #152
RED_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250r

I don't think I will step up to something bigger for many reasons. First, the 250 is just plain fun, abosolutely a blast to ride! I have ridden bigger sport bikes from a 600rr to a bandit 1200, and one thing is constant - temptation with all that power. I know my personality and its just too tough to control, human nature man. With that being said, the 250 looks great, handles great, and is LIGHT! I love being able to flick this thing around with no effort. I can hop on, and take off and use everything the bike has to offer on a daily basis - heck it has no torque so I have too! Also, with the driving laws so strict these days, and always having records with computers and what not, its not worth losing your license or even worse your life with a much much much faster rocket. At the end of the day it comes down to that old cliche to many people who appear not to be secure in their being - "who's --ck is bigger" I hate to say it but it's true. I find it humorous when people eagerly ask me what I ride and when I reply a 250 they look like they just got punched in the groin and walk away. Another example, one of my co-workers rides an r1 and he will never ever ever use the potential of that bike. I have asked him so are you going to do some track days with that beast and his reply is "nope".......so what do you need a liter bike for to putter back and forth to work from??? Oh well, maybe I am over simplifying peoples wants or needs with bikes.....one thing is for sure though, its clear to me what I want and need from riding.
RED_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #153
jasonfromca
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 08 Black 250

The 250 is my first bike and I plan on getting a bigger one at some point. I still need a lot of practice before that happens. I don't like having to shift so often when I'm driving around town (not really the case on twistys). I'm thinking about a CBR600 although I really like the look of the 1000s. I'm just afraid that the bike won't be as comfortable as the 250. I've sat on some bigger ones (older models) and they were really fat compared to the 250.
jasonfromca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #154
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:

I used to ride with a guy in PA that could only put one foot down when he came to a stop... I don't recall his actual height. He was on an old Ninja 750 back then.
I actually sat and watched that exact thing at Indy - I was sitting on the corner he went down in and had to watch him stuggle to get the bike up while everyone and their uncle ran by and away - it was rough.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #155
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
I'm not sure that I'll need any more bike unless I end up wanting to do long rides on highways.
Do you actually know you can't do long rides on highways from personal experience or are you making an assumption?

I just did a 2600 mile, 13-day, 11-state tour on my newgen a few weeks ago.

I still don't think I really need anything bigger. I was comfortable and the bike did just fine.

Shed preconceived notions. That's the key.

Think objectively. Judge based on fact and direct experience, not mob consensus. Think your own thoughts and ride your own ride.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #156
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfromca View Post
I'm just afraid that the bike won't be as comfortable as the 250. I've sat on some bigger ones (older models) and they were really fat compared to the 250.
It won't be....not even close. Whenever I jump from my gixxer to my 250, it's the same feeling I get when i plunk down on the couch after a bout in the gym doing deadlifts.

Maybe I'm still getting used to the positioning, but that aggressive leaned over stance makes working the rear brake a lot more painful too. I'm working my butt off at stoplights haha.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #157
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
MotoGP riders don't have to maneuver their own bikes. When they pull into the pits a crewmember catches them and holds the bike up. Same when they launch. The only time they have to put a foot down is on the grid.

Us mere mortals have to deal with crowned roads, backing the bike up against slopes and on crushed stone, etc. etc. etc. Riding is not the problem. Moving the bike around while not riding is.

I've had a bike that i could only tiptoe, and I MUCH prefer being able get my feet down. Makes things vastly more user-friendly. My driveway has a very mild slope to it, and I have to back the bike out of my garage and turn it around manually before I can ride off. With a tall bike it was a huge PITA and I did indeed drop the bike once or twice doing it. With my 250 it's a piece of cake, and it's all because the Ninjette is a little bit shorter.

Something I'd really like to see all these guys who are tall enough that they don't have any problem try is sitting on a cushion thick enough to force them to tiptoe, and have them maneuver the bike around. Believe me, it gets old fast.

To me a bike that's so tall I can't put my foot down is like buying a pair of pants four inches too long. Sure you can turn the cuffs up and look like Opie... or you can just buy a pair that fits you in the first place.

Old September 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #158
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Something I'd really like to see all these guys who are tall enough that they don't have any problem try is sitting on a cushion thick enough to force them to tiptoe, and have them maneuver the bike around. Believe me, it gets old fast.
Amen... I hate being told that I can ride "anything" if I just slide my ass off the seat and tiptoe on 1 foot while holding up a 400 lb thing. My boyfriend is one of these tall people and we found ONE bike at the dealership that he was tiptoe on. He felt awkward just sitting on it in the showroom. LOL

I really wish they'd make sportbikes with lower seat heights. It doesn't hurt the tall people much as long as the footpeg positioning doesn't cramp them. ;P

For now, my only available option is the 250 (and I'm not flat-footed on it), unless I can lower something else quite a bit. Bigger bikes are really WIDE too. :/

Old September 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #159
adouglas
Cat herder

I'd like to see more bikes made available with a few optional seats. Configure the frame so that a "short" seat will result in a seat height about that of the Ninjette, a "medium" seat would be an inch higher (typical height for some sport bikes) and a "tall" seat would be an inch above that (to give that absurd 32.5-inch-ish height you see on bikes like the Yamaha R6).

Some BMWs have optional short seats.

Kawasaki does in fact offer an optional "short" seat for the 650R, but they want almost $400 for it!!!!

Old September 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #160
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
MotoGP riders don't have to maneuver their own bikes. When they pull into the pits a crewmember catches them and holds the bike up. Same when they launch. The only time they have to put a foot down is on the grid.

Us mere mortals have to deal with crowned roads, backing the bike up against slopes and on crushed stone, etc. etc. etc. Riding is not the problem. Moving the bike around while not riding is.
That right there is a great point. Supersports are brutal in slow moving traffic. Generally speaking, they're fantastic at speed, but the slower you're going, the more muscle you have to put into maneuvering the bike and keeping it stable. Don't forget that your feet are also out behind you, instead of directly under your body. Less leverage.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote