ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #1
orooso
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

how old should a passenger be?

just like the title says how old should the passenger be? my nephew is 6 years old is that to young to ride him around on the back?.... i mean as long as he is ok with it an knows to hold on i wouldnt see the big deal....what do you people think do you ride your kids around how old were they when you started to ride them around????
orooso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #2
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

IMHO, I think 6 is a little young. I've never had a passenger before, but my neighbors kids ALWAYS ask to go on rides. The only one I'd feel comfortable taking is their oldest who's almost 10. Reason being is that he's old enough to understand the concept of "being one" (meaning he more than likely will not be squirly in the seat). My fear with a younger child is that they'd get scared and want to fight or resist your natural movement (specifically in turns etc).

Also, that child (or any passenger for that matter) should be wearing FULL GEAR (this should be a "no brainer"). And not just what you let him borrow either. He needs to be wearing stuff his size which will allow the maximum amount of protection in case of a spill.

Again, IMO, I think that age is too young...

My

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

As big-brother-ish some of the laws in California can be, one thing that always surprises me is how lax they were with some motorcycling laws. It seems like you have to keep your kid in a carseat until they graduate law school, but as for motorcycle passengers there are zero age or weight restrictions. The only criteria is that they must be tall enough to reach the rear pegs with their feet, that's it. So on a supersport bike with the pegs so close to the seat, I guess you can be 2.5 feet tall and be legal.

But I think it depends on the kid. Do they understand that they need to hang on to you at all times even if they get tired? Do they comprehend the consequences of not following your instructions or misbehaving while on the bike? I think some kids would be more than ready at 6, and some might not be ready at 10. It all depends.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
As big-brother-ish some of the laws in California can be, one thing that always surprises me is how lax they were with some motorcycling laws. It seems like you have to keep your kid in a carseat until they graduate law school, but as for motorcycle passengers there are zero age or weight restrictions. The only criteria is that they must be tall enough to reach the rear pegs with their feet, that's it. So on a supersport bike with the pegs so close to the seat, I guess you can be 2.5 feet tall and be legal.

But I think it depends on the kid. Do they understand that they need to hang on to you at all times even if they get tired? Do they comprehend the consequences of not following your instructions or misbehaving while on the bike? I think some kids would be more than ready at 6, and some might not be ready at 10. It all depends.
+1
Add this to my quote.

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #5
orooso
ninjette.org member

see thats the advice i was looking for i think he would know what to do but idk.....i wouldnt take him far just 5 min trips just to see if he is use to it or even likes it i mean i would be afaird of the littlest take off and him not expect it and off he goes or something i figgured it would depend on the kid just want to see other people side on it i dont even know if my brother would let me yet

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

maybe have them seated in front of you so they are in a more secure spot. Just ride easy and should be ok.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
My kids were on the back as soon as they wanted to be. Probably 2 or 3 years old. I'm not really sure. They each started riding two wheelers at 2 and their first motorcycles were at 3 so I'm thinking probably 2.5. I used to have them hold on to my belt and tuck their fingers under the belt so I could push my stomach out and they couldn't let go of the belt then. I had a sissy bar and saddle bags so they wouldn't fall of the back and their legs weren't near the rear wheel.

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #8
i916it
ninjette.org member

Name: Sky

Motorcycle(s): 250R 08

get him a seatbelt!
i916it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #9
orooso
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
My kids were on the back as soon as they wanted to be. Probably 2 or 3 years old. I'm not really sure. They each started riding two wheelers at 2 and their first motorcycles were at 3 so I'm thinking probably 2.5. I used to have them hold on to my belt and tuck their fingers under the belt so I could push my stomach out and they couldn't let go of the belt then. I had a sissy bar and saddle bags so they wouldn't fall of the back and their legs weren't near the rear wheel.

haha thats tight!!! well im glad people arent opposed of it and now i feel a little more sacure about rinding him once we get him some gear

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

my son is almost 6, but i don't feel comfortable taking him around on the streets. i barely feel comfortable with just me... or me and my girlfriend.

not sure when i think its appropriate, but i could never forgive myself if something crazy happened. off public roads or on the track is another story (parade laps). we've done plenty of that. i'm hoping to get him a dirtbike for his birthday this year.

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #11
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I haven't read the other responses yet, as I didn't want them to bias my response, but I don't think 6 is too young. I was 6 when I started riding with my dad, BUT I was in front of him, not behind him. That way he could keep his arms around me and keep a better eye on me. If you do take him, be sure that you have full gear for him, not just a helmet. You don't want to risk leaving him scarred for the rest of his life if something does happen. I would also limit it to an around-the-block type of thing until he's a bit older.
And remember, he's your sister's kid (or brother, sorry)... that child is the center of their universe. You will never live with yourself if something happens to him, and that's assuming that they let you live....

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #12
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

Given, the laws in your state are loose with regards to motorcycles, it doesnt mean they cant slap you with CHILD ENDANGERMENT.

Does his parents know of your intentions & how would they react if worst case scenario happens. If it was your own child & you were carrying him down the steps running & both of you falls & he gets hurt e.g. a cut on his forehead & blood gushing, how would you feel for a year. Could you forgive yourself?

I cant even entertain the thought of me giving my wife & much more, my 3 y.o. a ride with less than a full gear much more somebody else's child. In my humble yet accurate opinion, dont put yourself in such a tight predicament. Just avoid the situation.

I'd consider this a slippery slope. I understand that you are not going to be crazy with it, speeding, dodging traffic, etc but... refer to the 1st paragraph.

IMO

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #13
orooso
ninjette.org member

o i wouldnt be able to live with myself if somehthing happen the kid is AWSOME i just figured if he wanted to ride i wouldnt want to say no..tonight will be the first time he has seen the bike since he has been with his mom all week.....and is it legal to ride with the kid infront of me?...as i would feel WAY safer this way just to break him into the idea of the bike and what not it not like i would play around at all with a passenger if im solo then its just me and if something happens no one to blame but me

Old June 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

I would assume it would not be legal for them to ride in front since they wouldn't have foot pegs. If the have to be tall enoug to each the back foot pegs I would assume they actually had to use them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kolya1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #15
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

In Canada it is not legal to ride a passenger in front, I assume that the same would be said in the states. As for the age of your passenger, my son who is 7yrs. has ridden on the back of my 650 a couple of times. The first time my husband followed at a safe distance to watch him. It just depends on your comfort, on their comfort and the maturity of the child. I also keep the riding time down, little ones get bored and their attention span is short...gear the ride to the passenger.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I think my passenger should be at least 16 (as long as she looks 18).

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #17
orooso
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglory View Post
Given, the laws in your state are loose with regards to motorcycles, it doesnt mean they cant slap you with CHILD ENDANGERMENT.

Does his parents know of your intentions & how would they react if worst case scenario happens. If it was your own child & you were carrying him down the steps running & both of you falls & he gets hurt e.g. a cut on his forehead & blood gushing, how would you feel for a year. Could you forgive yourself?

I cant even entertain the thought of me giving my wife & much more, my 3 y.o. a ride with less than a full gear much more somebody else's child. In my humble yet accurate opinion, dont put yourself in such a tight predicament. Just avoid the situation.

I'd consider this a slippery slope. I understand that you are not going to be crazy with it, speeding, dodging traffic, etc but... refer to the 1st paragraph.

IMO

well my brother (his father) took him for a ride tonight so now i dont have to lol and well if i was running down the stairs and my kid fell and cut his head i would feel bad but i wouldnt beat my self up over it its a cut.....if he died thats a WAY!! diff story and i know what your saying any thing can happen at any time

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #18
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I think it's the matter of the person more so then the age. I'm speaking as the back seat rider. It really depends if the person is taking it seriously and they're actually listening and understanding what you're saying.

Mistakes can happen, and legal actions can be taken against you. I don't see a problem with it depending on the kid, but I'd never do it myself because I can't predict the future.
EngrNewf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Heavy enough so that wind while going 150-160mph won't blow them off if they let go of you for a split second.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #20
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
Heavy enough so that wind while going 150-160mph won't blow them off if they let go of you for a split second.
I'd probably blow off :P

Old June 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #21
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i believe the law here in hawaii is (or at one time was) 9 yrs. old for legal passenger. i remember this cuz i'd take my daughter riding on the homestead from when she was 3. just riding around this huge lot we had. she'd sit in fromt of me as first, moving to the back when she got older. she loved it, and i told her when she was 9 we'd go out on the road.
heck, the DAY she turned 9 i came home and she had mom's helmet, shoes, jacket...the whole 9 yards...waiting for me as soon as i pulled in from work.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #22
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Here's my thought.
I don't have kids yet but if I do I would wait till they can make their own decisions.
I think 6 is too young to understand the risks and consequences associated with motorcycle. Kids at that age just think it's cool to be on a bike. They have no idea how dangerous it is. As a parent I think it is a little selfish to put my kids on a bike because at that age they are still incompetent of understanding the risk and danger. If something terrible happens, I would not be able to forgive myself. If they end up in a wheel chair, there's a chance that they will hate me for destroying or altering their normal life. I am usually a risk taker, but this is one risk I will never take. I agree with Broom's method. When they are old enough I would get them a mini bike and introduce them to riding. Let them fall and get bang up on their own so they understand the danger. Only then I will ride them on the back.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #23
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
My boss said his parents would bungee cord him to the sissy bar when he was a baby . I guess if you are less than one you are not a passenger but cargo.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #24
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I think my passenger should be at least 16 (as long as she looks 18).
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

How old should a passenger be? I'd say 120 years max.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #26
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

My two kids started at 6

But it really depends on the kid, and your skills/mentality..and what their mom has to say about it..

there is a huge difference between taking your own kids, and someone else's. I do not take other people's kids for rides...I just don't know the kid well enough...I do know that when I told my kids something, they would believe me...my sisters kids? who knows?? They barely listen to her...

When I started riding with my kids I knew that they understood what hitting the pavement was all about...i.e. after they had taken a lick or two from the street on their bicycles.

Also, and this is important, I think, I was at a point where I felt I had COMPLETE control of the bike at all times...smooth starts, really smooth shifts...if you are a fairly new rider, you should think about it..

Last futzed with by Jerry; June 29th, 2009 at 10:10 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #27
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

My daughter has been riding around the neighborhood on my lap since she was less than two. She's got everything but good riding gloves. Until she can wrap her arms around my waist, I'll not let her on the bike for trips out of the neighborhood. She's very attentive and still when riding now, at four. There's a loop around my neighborhood, about four miles at 30mph. Traffic is light and sane, so we're fine. Lots of room with bicycle lanes, just in case. Sometimes, we'll take the loop ten times before she's ready to head home. It's also the loop that I used when breaking in my Ninjette when new (yes, by the book).

I don't take anyone else's kids on rides, only the people I'm responsible for. Just my SO and daughter ever become my precious cargo on two wheels.

Someday, I'll get a hack and take her around the world. For now, it's just to the local park and back.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #28
jr.
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 08 honda cbr 1000rr dads

im 12 and ride on the back with my dad all the time i wear full gear and we take it easy only sometimes we get crazy
jr. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #29
fishguy
rack maker

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250

My oldest daughter is now 6.5. She's been riding with me for about a year. Went on a 3 day bike camping trip last summer... just need to take a lot more rest stops than usuall.

I think it depends a lot on the child. Mine is very well behaved and responsible for her age. She take riding with Daddy very seriously. I don't know that my other daughter will be ready to ride at the same age she was.

I would never take someone else's kid.

fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote