ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

650r

In my search for a bike that's more comfortable on long hauls, I have looked at all kinds of bikes. I stopped in a Kawi dealer the other day and looked at the 650R. The reviews are good, but the handle bars were terrible. Very dual sport like. I come from a dual sport background, but I don't know if I could handle those bars on a sport bike.

Anyway... Does anyone have any experience with the 650R on long trips? Any opinions on comfort?
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Try going to kawi forums and you can post with some 650R riders there. They should be able to tell you first hand. Were sure gonna miss you.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Alot of the 650r riders have changed out the handle bars for similar reasons.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Not to be "mutanous" but did you try the Yamaha Fizzer 600? (FZR6)... I loved the way it seated, the eronomics were very friendly, adjustable seat, not bad pillion area for passenger with nice grab bar. Only downside is the graphics on the yellow (but passable) and found the one I was on (2009) started peeling on the handlebars, which concerned me about other surface applications. The N-650 is still my no. 1.. yet that FZR6 is a nice little machine as well. If only they put the 250 handlebar applications into the 650... would be perfect.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

SV650 perhaps? I've been poking around the internet on info for the 650r as well and often times its put up against the SV....and most of the time the SV is the clear favorite.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #6
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

that yammie is sweet. i dont think the graphics were necessary. blue seems to have the least graphics. could always remove them i guess.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
SV650 perhaps? I've been poking around the internet on info for the 650r as well and often times its put up against the SV....and most of the time the SV is the clear favorite.
+1. Except for the looks department

Though the Kawi 650 went through a number of mods in 09 to make the ride smoother and more comfortable...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
sombo

Personally I plan on my next bike being the Suzuki GSX650F. It's a sweet looking bike and has tons of great reviews. I'm thinking of that one because I'm more interested in more of a sport/touring configuration and that's what it has. Also found these wicked 'beetle bags' from Corbin that are such a match that it looks like Suzuki made them.

Corbin beetle bags.

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Personally I plan on my next bike being the Suzuki GSX650F. It's a sweet looking bike and has tons of great reviews. I'm thinking of that one because I'm more interested in more of a sport/touring configuration and that's what it has. Also found these wicked 'beetle bags' from Corbin that are such a match that it looks like Suzuki made them.

Corbin beetle bags.
I also kinda like the gsx650f but it looks kinda awkward, but still looks pretty good. It seems like it is missing something, I don't know.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Not to be "mutanous" but did you try the Yamaha Fizzer 600? (FZR6)... I loved the way it seated, the eronomics were very friendly, adjustable seat, not bad pillion area for passenger with nice grab bar. Only downside is the graphics on the yellow (but passable) and found the one I was on (2009) started peeling on the handlebars, which concerned me about other surface applications. The N-650 is still my no. 1.. yet that FZR6 is a nice little machine as well. If only they put the 250 handlebar applications into the 650... would be perfect.
That new fz6r does seem really nice! I like the yellow one, it's color & graphics match my current helmet
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i rode my brothers 650 around for a couple of hours a couple of years ago. it was pretty good from what i remember. handlebars were my biggest issue. i think he's got clipons on it now, but i haven't ridden it since then.

he really likes the bike though and is talking about converting it over to a race bike.

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #12
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
I also kinda like the gsx650f but it looks kinda awkward, but still looks pretty good. It seems like it is missing something, I don't know.
Did you look at it with those Corbin beetle bags on? I think that the bike looks like a sport-tourer that's just missing the hard luggage. The Corbin beetle bags are hard luggage that complete the sport-tourer look. I would post a picture of the bags but can't seem to get a picture to post.

Old June 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #13
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Did you look at it with those Corbin beetle bags on? I think that the bike looks like a sport-tourer that's just missing the hard luggage. The Corbin beetle bags are hard luggage that complete the sport-tourer look. I would post a picture of the bags but can't seem to get a picture to post.
Ok that makes sense. I could see how that would fill out the look. I wouldn't mind a bike with some hard luggage.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

spent 500 or so miles on a 650R. It is a very good bike for an all arounder. the bars would definately need to be replaced - but its a pretty easy thing to do and not too expensive. there are several options out there that keep a little easier ergos than clip ons - i would really think about getting a 650R for a commuter
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #15
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
That new fz6r does seem really nice! I like the yellow one, it's color & graphics match my current helmet

My friend just got this bike and its nice and the seating position isnt as straight up as the 650r but the handlebars are still somewhat High. It is a pretty smooth ride.. BUT LET ME TELL YOU that thing HEATS UP YOUR lower body very well when your not in motion at a stop light you can feel the heat from the motor, but it looks better than the 650 imho and mostly because of the split seat deal. Although Im not to fond of the single headlight I like the eye type look of two.
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #16
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
In my search for a bike that's more comfortable on long hauls, I have looked at all kinds of bikes. I stopped in a Kawi dealer the other day and looked at the 650R. The reviews are good, but the handle bars were terrible. Very dual sport like. I come from a dual sport background, but I don't know if I could handle those bars on a sport bike.

Anyway... Does anyone have any experience with the 650R on long trips? Any opinions on comfort?
You don't like the Huffy bars?!

Search youtube for "AtlasRider". He went cross country on his 650R. Get the Sport Bars 2.0 and never look back. Clip-ons are just too much effort.
elars is offline   Reply With Quote