ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Is any 520 sized 106-link chain "the right chain?" If so, what's wrong with these?

OK, typing "520 106" into eBay results in a ton of chains for ~$65 and up. Organizing by price, you can find "non-O ring" chans for $20 shipped and up. I just want a new chain to replace my two-year-old care-neglected and 12,000mile + chain which will give me many more miles (whatever lasts long).

When I go to CheapCycleParts.com, I see 520 chains for suspiciously low prices, like $2.66 or even ones that specifically say "Fits! Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250-J8F) 2008" for $8.06, like this one.

OK, I'm sure that there is something I'm missing. Is a "racing chain" not good for street use? Will it wear out faster? I'd much rather spend $9 than the $78 a quoted to me from a dealer.

Edit: Thanks guys. It's a poorly described and cetegorized "master link." So, it looks like I still need a cheap chain suggestion. Any advice?

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 8th, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

holy crap 8bucks??? i jusyt paid 68 for an orbit o ring at least thats a
D-I-D. hear theyr really good..

I do believe any 520 O-ring chains should work... 106 is # of links? most should come with 110+ so a fewll need to hacked off... is it O-RING? kool its also a rivit- try it and let us know-
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

When I go to CheapCycleParts.com, I see 520 chains for suspiciously low prices, like $2.66 or even ones that specifically say "Fits! Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250-J8F) 2008" for $8.06, like this one.
That looks like a master link for 8 bucks.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #4
sktrs_kpr
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninjette 250

Thats just the master link...

'90 Ninja 250, 12k miles
sktrs_kpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I see. "Rivet link" sounds like it's describing the type of links inside the chain... like "O-ring" would be descriptive, but it doesn't mean that they are selling you a single O-ring for your chain.

To someone, like me, who doesn't know what is what, they shouldn't be showing that picture and should describe it better. Basically, I entered my bike details on the site, told it to find compatible aftermarket parts, and then selected "chains" under the categories, where it was listed as the only one... so I, in my ignorance, had every reason to believe that it was a chain while they did nothing to tell me otherwise. If it truly "Fits! Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250-J8F) 2008," then the chain that it belongs with should be shown. I'm sure it doesn't "fit" the OEM chain.
Quote:
Description
Exclusively designed for motorcycle racing
High performance, lightweight and low friction chain provides the winning edge in World Class Competition
Features gold color plates

For 250-750cc Rally, 750cc Superbike and 250-750cc Endurance applications
Aver
I mean, if anyplace is where they should tell you that it's NOT a chain, it would be the description, which says just the opposite.

Well, I'm back to square one and I need a chain suggestion. Other than $78 for OEM, what else can I use that's not too expensive? What should I avoid? "Non O-ring" $20 eBay chains (I assume "non O-ring" is a bad thing)? sixer: where can I find the chain you used? Is "Orbit" any good?

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Jet, Go with an O Ring chain. That`s what your bike came with. If you don`t want to deal with your dealer, there are always independent shops that can do a great job for you. Your bike takes a 106 link chain. You can either have a shop do it or you can do it yourself. Since I am a bicycle mechanic, I chose to buy a chain breaker/riveting tool so that I can do the job myself. It is not difficult--certainly not rocker science. There should be a DIY someplace on that subject. When the time comes for me to change my chain, I will do a DIY.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
sixer
no joy

eh? i was fooled also LMAO it is just the one link rivit..

I bought mine in Temecula @ cycle gear and my bud (Mech)in temecula slapped it on fer another 30$ not 89$ the dealer charges.... i also bought the rivit link (not clip) fer 4.99$ Orbits good DID's are better your gonna pay for quality....

id be happy to link" up with you and introduce you to the mech ect...

BBL dinner time...

Old March 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Hmm... well, I contacted the eBayer that sells the chain and sprocket sets for the pre-gen. He says that he can do the whole set, two sprockets and a chain with the teeth/gearing I choose for $80; $83 w/ a colored chain. Sounds like a deal, but I'm willing to bet that it's a pre-gen sprocket that will need a shim. AFAIK, they all are except for that one JT sprocket made out of unobtanium.

Alternately, what about sources that charge by the link, like this? Does "number of pins" correlate directly with "number of links' +/- one? I don't even know if the inner link is counted in, say, a 106-link chain. I'd imagine that it is, but I never got down there and counted.

Another question: What lube is preferable if I decide to get a blue chain for the blue bike? IOW, which will be mostly clear without looking nasty, gummy, dirty, black, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Jet, Go with an O Ring chain. That`s what your bike came with. If you don`t want to deal with your dealer, there are always independent shops that can do a great job for you. Your bike takes a 106 link chain. You can either have a shop do it or you can do it yourself. Since I am a bicycle mechanic, I chose to buy a chain breaker/riveting tool so that I can do the job myself. It is not difficult--certainly not rocker science. There should be a DIY someplace on that subject. When the time comes for me to change my chain, I will do a DIY.
Thanks. I barely have enough tools to get the tire off when using a torque wrench as a snap-on, much less an impact wrench or breaker-bar to get the front sprocket off. Since the city will be paying for the dealer to mount my new tires, I might as well have the chain done simultaneously, but I will keep that in mind for the next 15K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
eh? i was fooled also LMAO it is just the one link rivit..

I bought mine in Temecula @ cycle gear and my bud (Mech)in temecula slapped it on fer another 30$ not 89$ the dealer charges.... i also bought the rivit link (not clip) fer 4.99$ Orbits good DID's are better your gonna pay for quality....

id be happy to link" up with you and introduce you to the mech ect...

BBL dinner time...
Ha! I figured something was "wrong" with that price, hence the thread title. I just didn't know what. It looks like a D.I.D. 520 106-link O-ring chain is about $73.

So chains do not typically include the link? Is this because they expect you to reuse it?

Old March 9th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #9
sixer
no joy

They do include a clip type link atleast the orbit does but I read up that getting a rivit link is safer... so i also bought the rivit...

so remember to get a matching rivit style link - usally a few $$'z xtra *shrug*

Most 520 chains should be 110+ links don't worry so much bout # of links just 520 Oring and rivit....

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Got a quote of $45 for a blue O-ring 520 chain from an eBay seller... No word on the brand or number of links, but I told him I needed at least 106.

Because I don't even know the brand, what indicators should I look for as far as quality? What kind of wear should I be looking for? I'm going to be lubing/cleaning more often, so I'll be looking much more closely than I have with my neglected old chain.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, first signs aren't great. The paper thing it was in was broken open and ants were all in the packaging (I guess they liked the grease). The blue looks like the blue paint on one of those kids toys that you slide beads along (I see thosein waiting rooms usually).

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
kids toys that you slide beads along (I see thosein waiting rooms usually).
Did you break yours?

Old March 24th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Did you break yours?
I might have.