ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Need help upgrading my tires

Ok, well my tires need replacing. I'm currently on stock IRC's with over 15,000 Miles

Needless to say, they are a bit squarish (pics will be uploaded when I get home). I did about 95% commuting/highway with them. I had a few runs of twistie roads but those miles mean nothing as I'm not aggressive on the streets.

I'm currently looking at the the Battleax bt45's, Dunlop GT501's, Conti Go and Pilot Road/Activ tires. Which one you think would be best and do you know of any discount codes /low prices. I've done lots of research but looking for people who have put miles on the tires they recommend and low prices.

I have a set of Sport Demons at home for my track days and for the Level 1 CSS course.

Thanks
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Got stock Dunlop 501s on my 08. Still on the original set, going on 13 k miles. No issues, no complaints. They seem to work just fine for me.

Hard to really know if moving away from them would be a vast improvement. I've been riding since 1987, but this is my first bike after a long, long hiatus... so I have zero experience with anything other than what came on the bike.

The stock IRCs have gotten a lot of bad buzz on the net, but I've also read that the latest ones (current standard issue) have been improved somehow.

Sometimes I think that too much is made of the relative advantages of tires, particularly for street use. The track is a different matter, of course. When I went riding with eddiekay last year -- he's a pretty spirited guy and likes to go fast on the twisties -- I noticed that his bike had IRCs so I asked him if he'd had any issues. He wasn't even aware that's what they were! Never bothered to look. So I guess the "crap" IRCs were working just fine....
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

The 45s are plenty sticky for the ninjette on track. A few of us have tried them.

I bought my BT45s at Chaparral-Racing.com. I got the 120/140 size. They didn't have the 110 front so I got the 120. The 130 rear is like 3 dollars cheaper than the 140. I don't know if they still offer free shipping or not though.

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've had the Conti-Go's, now I have the BT-45's. See my review.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109350
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #5
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Got stock Dunlop 501s on my 08. Still on the original set, going on 13 k miles. No issues, no complaints. They seem to work just fine for me.

Hard to really know if moving away from them would be a vast improvement. I've been riding since 1987, but this is my first bike after a long, long hiatus... so I have zero experience with anything other than what came on the bike.

The stock IRCs have gotten a lot of bad buzz on the net, but I've also read that the latest ones (current standard issue) have been improved somehow.

Sometimes I think that too much is made of the relative advantages of tires, particularly for street use. The track is a different matter, of course. When I went riding with eddiekay last year -- he's a pretty spirited guy and likes to go fast on the twisties -- I noticed that his bike had IRCs so I asked him if he'd had any issues. He wasn't even aware that's what they were! Never bothered to look. So I guess the "crap" IRCs were working just fine....
The stock IRCs work fine, just don't always feel like it which can hurt a persons confidence. I've never been down because of the stock tires and have been in the wet/slush with them plenty of times. Hell, I got the tires with a plug in them to begin with lol. ODO says 15,100+ of which 13,000 were with plug.

I to think too much is made of advantages of street tires. I think they will all be "sticky" to a point. A point in which I never see myself riding in. Track tires, well that's where I think you have to be extremely picky.

I'm looking at these tires because most are recommended by the good folks here on the forum and because I know they will fit and I can expect certain things from certain tires (wet riding, wear...)

Wish I would've went on that ride with you and eddie. I never did do that valve adjustment on that weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
The 45s are plenty sticky for the ninjette on track. A few of us have tried them.

I bought my BT45s at Chaparral-Racing.com. I got the 120/140 size. They didn't have the 110 front so I got the 120. The 130 rear is like 3 dollars cheaper than the 140. I don't know if they still offer free shipping or not though.
Thanks. I'm trying to stick to 110/130 but will give the site a look. Also, I do know about how sticky they are for the track, I just want something that will last long for commuting as well. I did read that someone got about 5-8k out of them before, so I might go with these tires if they come on stock size.

I want something to last me from no until at least the end of may. I estimate I would have traveled about 1500-2000 miles of which 10-20 miles are from twisties. The rest would be from commuting/highway. Also, I would have hit the track at least once (TOTAL NOOB). After all this, I'm hoping to be able to do the level 1 CSS course with these same tires. If not, I would just install the Sport Demons.

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #6
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
I've had the Conti-Go's, now I have the BT-45's. See my review.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109350
DaBlue, Thanks for posting. Your thread has been an extended part of my research.

Problem is, I do not want to move up in size. I want to stick with the 110/130 combo. What you think?

Good Job on the thread.

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
BT45s will be good since they are dual compound touring tires. They won't square off as quickly as a softer stickier tire and they will still feel worlds better than the IRC's
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
... I do not want to move up in size. I want to stick with the 110/130 combo. What you think?
110/130 combo is good, however after having a 140, I'm a little partial to a 140. A 140 IMO should have been stock size, like it is on the Ninja 300.

Check here for other comparative pricing. http://www.americanmototire.com/index.php
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #9
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
BT45s will be good since they are dual compound touring tires. They won't square off as quickly as a softer stickier tire and they will still feel worlds better than the IRC's
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
110/130 combo is good, however after having a 140, I'm a little partial to a 140. A 140 IMO should have been stock size, like it is on the Ninja 300.

Check here for other comparative pricing. http://www.americanmototire.com/index.php
Thanks. That is a pretty good price on those tires.

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10
nycsteve
Biker

Just purchased the BT45's from American Moto Tire for $195.86 shipped.

Front: 110/70-17 M/C 54H

Rear: 130/70-17 M/C 62H

Thanks All.

Old January 18th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

I like my 110 front 140 rear combos. Currently I'm running the diablo rossa II's and really like the grip!
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
nycsteve
Biker

Ordered yesterday. Received today.

Super Fast

Old January 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

holy crap that's fast! Their warehouse must be close by!