ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

Upgrading: 09 cbr600RR or 09 R6???

Hey all, so after 10 months of riding, and modding my beautiful Jade i was cut off at an intersection by a cager making an illegal left turn on the day after christmas. He cut in front of me and I broadsided him doing about 50mph. My girl and I were ejected off the bike and launched over his hood. My girl had a concussion and alot of bruising and had to wear a neck brace for a month but she is doing much better now. I was not so lucky: I suffered 3 fractured ribs, a fractured vertebrae, collapsed lung, bruised liver, lacerated spleen and ruptured achilles tendon. I was in intensive care for a week. Tests showed my spleen healed well enuff it didnt need to be removed. I had a tube in my lung for 2 weeks. The chest is healing ok, still some pain tho. the worst is i just had surgery on my achilles and will need rehab and alot of time off my feet to heal. Hopefully I get cleared to ride again by the spring.

Yes, I am going to ride again. I actually cant wait to get back on a bike. People say im crazy, including my girl who is very against it but she loves and supports me and understands its in my blood.

So my 250 is gone and I will be getting a decent settlement and will be upgrading to a 600 when it comes thru.

So I was considering an 07 or 08 zx 6r but i have read bad reviews.
My buddy has an 09 cbr600rr graffiti edition and he loves it. Everyone loves the CBRs from what i read.

I also have seen a couple 09 R6s that I like and have read good reviews as well.

I commute, ride twisties and hope to track next season. I may buy a cheap track bike eventually, but for now I need a street bike. I love supersports. My 250 was modded w clip ons and racing rearsets just to get a more aggressive riding position.

So I am looking for some feedback guys and gals. I have never ridden a 600. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and the ninjette was my first street bike. So anyone that has ridden the CBR and R6 lemme know what you think.

Thanks, and be careful out there

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The only CBR I've ridden was a 1997 CBR600F3 and I rode it all last summer. It has lot of useable midrange, and is still a rocket out of corners. Definitely took a different technique than the ninjette in twisties, as will any supersport. The honda will always be a good choice for reliability and quality because it's a honda.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
r6.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

CBR- great all around bike. does everything well.
R6- Race Bike.

No interest in Gixxer? Also a race bike.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:33 PM   #5
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

no real interest in gixxer... they look nice, and i hear they perform well, but i just associate the gixxer w squids. every noob who buys a bike jumps rt to a 1000cc gixxer w no riding exp... then they dump the bike on the way out of the dealership parking lot

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopmix View Post
CBR- great all around bike. does everything well.
R6- Race Bike.
thats the impression i am getting.

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

Why not a Kawi?
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 11:54 PM   #8
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Between those two, I'd do the CBR. Why? The powerband of the R6 doesn't really sit well for me. It's all high end, and I do a lot of city riding. I'm not saying you can't do city riding and commuting on the R6, it's just nicer with the powerband of the CBR. Also, the CBR will be more comfortable than the R6; in terms of comfort on a supersport.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
Why not a Kawi?
like i said, the 06-08 got bad reviews. 09 and up was better, but if im gonna go w an 09 im still leaning towards the cbr cuz it seems like the best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Between those two, I'd do the CBR. Why? The powerband of the R6 doesn't really sit well for me. It's all high end, and I do a lot of city riding. I'm not saying you can't do city riding and commuting on the R6, it's just nicer with the powerband of the CBR. Also, the CBR will be more comfortable than the R6; in terms of comfort on a supersport.
i am strongly leaning towards the cbr.... altho i have seen a few triumph daytonas tonite too, an 09 675 triple in particular w less than 1000 miles on it that would be in my price range....

decisions decisions LOL

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:06 AM   #10
saxnbass

Daytona vs CBR is tough. The Daytona is sexy. CBR is still more comfortable of a ride though. And getting parts and having the CBR fixed if anything should happen or a part wear out is usually easier and faster than with the Daytona.

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:10 AM   #11
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Daytona vs CBR is tough. The Daytona is sexy. CBR is still more comfortable of a ride though. And getting parts and having the CBR fixed if anything should happen or a part wear out is usually easier and faster than with the Daytona.
idk if the parts would be as big an issue, we have a triumph dealer in manayunk, which is rt next to me in philly. it is a tuff call.... the daytona is pretty nice, and with less than 1000 miles its practically brand new

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:36 AM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I really like the daytona I hope we get some demo rides out here one day. I rode a 2010 zx-6r for a hour though, that was slick. It handles great and riding position was nice for me too. In any case I have heard the cbr does everything well so between your choices I'd get a cbr.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I asked a rider last week who had a Daytona at the track how he liked it on the street - he shook his head and said it was NOT comfortable. I rode an 11 zx-6 and absolutely loved it, it was amazingly smooth in the power band with more than enough power everywhere and quite comfortable.

The R6 is definitely a monster on the track and very popular amongst track junkies. It handles like a hot knife through butter at high speeds and has most of its power in the upper RPMs.

CBRs are supposed to be great mid bikes between track and street - I've heard they do it all quite well.

Gixxers are very comfortable and has gobs of power in them - I would put them at a notch above the zx-6 which is saying a lot.

They all have tons of power, they will all perform on the street or the track, the differences there are mostly made up by the RIDER not the bike. Sit on each of them and see which is more comfortable and which position you like the most. I can say the R6 is the least comfortable and the zx-6 and gixxer are the most comfortable IMO. It's also nice having the midrange power the other bikes have that the r6 seems to be lacking in.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:07 AM   #14
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Never ridden an R6 but I own a CBR so my opinion can only cover he Honda. I bought mine because of Hondas reputation and Im glad I did. Its quick in and out of turns (not as nimble as the ninjette, but its alot bigger) and like others have said....... it has lots of mid range power (read that to mean its a unicycle if your not paying attention).

I DO NOT enjoy commuting on my Honda tho as my ride to work is ~30 mins highway. I mean, it handles great and the ride is almost climatic however.....The CBR has that sound that every cop has become aware of, usually by the time I get to work, my wrists and lower back are starting to become numb. Thats probably cos Im turning 40 this year and Im 6'1 and 240 lbs. Not in the best shape Ive ever been in. If I get stuck in a traffic jam, like parking lot time on the highway, my CBR likes to act like it wants to start getting hot.

Thats the only bad stuff that comes to mind. The Honda will do what your wanting easy.. and more. Ive never had it on a track but Id guess it perform on par with just about any 600cc superbike........ I mean, its a Honda.

When I bought mine I was looking at the Ducati monster and the Aprilia Shiver. I would have bought the Duc but the maintenance costs on those, just wow.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:54 AM   #15
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

If it's all about how user-friendly it is commuting on the street, get a 650 Ninja. If you want to cut your commuting time in half, get the R6. The 09 and later zx6 was supposed to be the best of the big 4, but Honda wins before that. Triumph wins for originality and sexiness, but not much else. If you're a total masochist get a Ducati...it's got a riding position that will make the R6 and Daytona look like a sofa. Just don't do any 400 miles days if you're single like I did when I got one, because your wrists will be too....um..nevermind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:07 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well if they Daytona 675 is coming in to the picture here, my vote is on that. Mid-range and beautiful sound, and it's a narrower bike physically.

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I sat on an 08 cbr 600rr in a dealer along with an 08 r6, the cbr is the most comfortable sport bike I've sat on and the r6 was the least comfortable. I've heard that the cbr has a decently smooth power band and the r6 has all it's power up top.

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:52 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Both are very capable bikes. Here is what I mainly noticed;

Ergo - CBR is not as aggressive as the r6
Powerband - CBR is smother through the powerband, the r6 has surges of power around 6k and again at 12k
Handling - r6 edges the cbr out but not by much
Braking - CBR all the way
Looks - r6 all the way

For a every day rider I would go to with the cbr, if you just wanna ride the canyons and track then I would go r6
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 08:57 AM   #19
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Well if they Daytona 675 is coming in to the picture here, my vote is on that. Mid-range and beautiful sound, and it's a narrower bike physically.
THREADJACK.gif

Anyone with experience with them know how a 675 would be for short people? I've got short legs. I just barely flatfoot the Ninjette. I would think the narrow seating of the 675 would help...
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you can barely flatfloot a ninjette, you're going to have trouble with a supersport. I have a 29-30 inch inseam, and the CBR600 I rode was perfect for just being able to solidly plant my heels. My legs are half bent on the ninjette

either lower it (dumb) or learn to only use one foot at a time, and walk it when you're in parking lots.

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:51 AM   #21
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

my lowered his R6 I fit perfect on it.

I say lower it
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #22
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

This could possibly help with the decision:

2006 Supersport Shootout Street
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/618/...IV-Street.aspx
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:16 AM   #23
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

First of all, I'm glad you are still around.

Secondly, I hate to be the one saying this, but heal up before you start doing anything else.

Plenty of bikes to choose and ride later, your next bike doesn't have to be your last, get something that's cheap and easy to ride in the city.

I commute on 2-wheel in the city a bit, I can't imagine carrying a passenger on a Ninja 250 and zipping around in the city at 50mph through intersections, that's just risky business.. outcome, as you experienced, not so pleasant.

After you regain your physical abilities, you may find that what you used to on the bike may have changed and you may need a different bike entirely. You may still go back to sportbikes, but it might take more work than you think intially.

With a major debilitating incident within 10 months of riding, you should really consider hard what your next step might be. Motorcycling can be done at another time, but what else could be more important than keeping your physical abilities to make a decent living; so you can have motorcycling as part of your life later on.

CBR, R6, Daytona, which one doesn't matter.. life is short, make enough money and you can ride all the bikes you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
Hey all, so after 10 months of riding, and modding my beautiful Jade i was cut off at an intersection by a cager making an illegal left turn on the day after christmas. He cut in front of me and I broadsided him doing about 50mph. My girl and I were ejected off the bike and launched over his hood. My girl had a concussion and alot of bruising and had to wear a neck brace for a month but she is doing much better now. I was not so lucky: I suffered 3 fractured ribs, a fractured vertebrae, collapsed lung, bruised liver, lacerated spleen and ruptured achilles tendon. I was in intensive care for a week. Tests showed my spleen healed well enuff it didnt need to be removed. I had a tube in my lung for 2 weeks. The chest is healing ok, still some pain tho. the worst is i just had surgery on my achilles and will need rehab and alot of time off my feet to heal. Hopefully I get cleared to ride again by the spring.

Yes, I am going to ride again. I actually cant wait to get back on a bike. People say im crazy, including my girl who is very against it but she loves and supports me and understands its in my blood.

So my 250 is gone and I will be getting a decent settlement and will be upgrading to a 600 when it comes thru.

My buddy has an 09 cbr600rr graffiti edition and he loves it. Everyone loves the CBRs from what i read.

I also have seen a couple 09 R6s that I like and have read good reviews as well.

I commute, ride twisties and hope to track next season. I may buy a cheap track bike eventually, but for now I need a street bike. I love supersports. My 250 was modded w clip ons and racing rearsets just to get a more aggressive riding position.

So I am looking for some feedback guys and gals. I have never ridden a 600. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and the ninjette was my first street bike. So anyone that has ridden the CBR and R6 lemme know what you think.

Thanks, and be careful out there
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM   #24
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
First of all, I'm glad you are still around.

Secondly, I hate to be the one saying this, but heal up before you start doing anything else.

Plenty of bikes to choose and ride later, your next bike doesn't have to be your last, get something that's cheap and easy to ride in the city.

I commute on 2-wheel in the city a bit, I can't imagine carrying a passenger on a Ninja 250 and zipping around in the city at 50mph through intersections, that's just risky business.. outcome, as you experienced, not so pleasant.

After you regain your physical abilities, you may find that what you used to on the bike may have changed and you may need a different bike entirely. You may still go back to sportbikes, but it might take more work than you think intially.

With a major debilitating incident within 10 months of riding, you should really consider hard what your next step might be. Motorcycling can be done at another time, but what else could be more important than keeping your physical abilities to make a decent living; so you can have motorcycling as part of your life later on.

CBR, R6, Daytona, which one doesn't matter.. life is short, make enough money and you can ride all the bikes you want.

Damn....you mean he's not gonna buy his new bike straight from the ICU?
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
This could possibly help with the decision:

2006 Supersport Shootout Street
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/618/...IV-Street.aspx
awesome link.

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #26
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Damn....you mean he's not gonna buy his new bike straight from the ICU?
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM   #27
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post

Anyone with experience with them know how a 675 would be for short people? I've got short legs. I just barely flatfoot the Ninjette. I would think the narrow seating of the 675 would help...
I've test ridden a D675; I'm about 5'8" and can easily flat-foot my Ninjette. I was able to stand w/the balls of my feet touching the ground on the D675 on even, flat pavement. The seat is ridiculously uncomfortable, IMHO, compared to the Ninjette. It felt like the seat is actually wider on the D675 than the Ninjette. It dug into my inner thighs when standing on it and if I was stopped at a stop light I found myself leaning all the way over to one leg to take the discomfort off my inner thighs.

The D675 was my dream bike but after the test ride and realizing that I'm mainly a commuter, I gave up that dream. I'm looking at a Street Triple for my next bike now.... eventually.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM   #28
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback thus far. Awesome 2006 link too.
also thanks "A" for the support. I am healing and not going to rush to ride till i am cleared. I also work as a stuntman so i have plenty of rehab to do before i can return to work.

Im not looking to rush into buying anything rt away either (tho if i could have bought a new bike rt out of the ICU i prob would have LMAO) but i like most of us i assume here on the site am an adrenaline junkie, thats why i ride and do stunts and parkour etc. I am very active usually and i have been stuck in my house not being able to walk or do ANYTHING besides sit around for a month and a half now..... IM GOING STIR CRAZY! the one thing that keeps me going is knowing i will return to the things i love eventually. I will be cleared to ride way before i am cleared to start doing flips and martial arts etc most likely so I am really looking forward to riding. Thats why I am doing my research now, so when spring comes and the docs clear me i will know what bike i am buying and i can hop back on the horse so to speak.

thanks again for the concern brothers and thanks for the feedback everyone.
rt now im prob leaning more towards the CBR, but that daytona is still very appealing. if its still available when i am cleared i think a test ride is def in order.

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #29
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

yeah dude the d675 looks dope. If I was in your position (buying a new bike not being hurt lol) Id look at those for sure

Old February 1st, 2012, 11:27 PM   #30
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Where are these bad reviews? The bike is great! I have no complaints except wanting a little more mid-range.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:21 AM   #31
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Where are these bad reviews? The bike is great! I have no complaints except wanting a little more mid-range.
i actually just read a review of the 90 zx6r and they said it was completely redone to improve the faults of the previous years, and it scored highest on dyno tests and had the best lap times in a few reviews i read.

i was originally looking at the 07-08 zx6r cuz i love the undertail exhaust but i read a few places that the 09s were a huge improvement. dont remember where.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM   #32
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Quote:
heres a review on the 09s that discusses some of the drawbacks of the previous years and why kawa tweaked alot of the 09.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-87541.html

Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM   #33
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Quote:
i actually just read a review of the 90 zx6r and they said it was completely redone to improve the faults of the previous years, and it scored highest on dyno tests and had the best lap times in a few reviews i read.

i was originally looking at the 07-08 zx6r cuz i love the undertail exhaust but i read a few places that the 09s were a huge improvement. dont remember where.
Quote:
heres a review on the 09s that discusses some of the drawbacks of the previous years and why kawa tweaked alot of the 09.
The thing to remember is that reviews are SUBJECTIVE and RELATIVE. In a shootout of 600s done by motorcycle.com, they actually say that there is not a single thing wrong with the bike when looked at individually. It is only after comparing the ZX to the others in the test that they feel the bike is lacking. And that goes for anything in life.

If money is no object, then get an '09-up ZX or an '11-up GSX-R if you are shopping for 600s. But don't pass up a good deal on an '07-'08 because of "bad reviews". Any supersport with a displacement of 600cc or more built in the last 20 years will have more to offer than the majority of riders can use. I wouldn't sweat the decision too much. Get what you think looks best at the lowest price.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #34
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Doesn't matter which bike you buy. The bike's only as good as the rider. Would have thought you'd learned that by now.

And with technology these days, all the bikes coming out these days are just about equal.

BTW, I have an '09 CBR600RR race bike as well and love it.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
it scored highest on dyno tests and had the best lap times in a few reviews i read.
dyno tests don't really matter. Unless there's a significantly large percentage difference in hp numbers, the only time you're going to notice is if you ride them back to back on a track, at the limits of what the bike is capable of.

Besides, hp numbers are all going to be different for each bike based on how it's broken in, how it's ridden, compression, etc. While one ZX might make the most hp in the class, another ZX might not.

FWIW, I've heard the new ZX6R's are very biased towards the top end.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM   #36
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

The '09 ZX6R does launch like a rocket in the upper RPMs - the low end has not been an issue. I test rode an '09 CBR600RR before buying the ZX6R - liked everything except the fact it lacks a slipper clutch - I found that out the hard way during the test ride when I down shifted three gears without blipping ( I though the bike had a slipper clutch and wanted to test it ). But, that should not be an issue if you know it does not have one and blip. Plus, the Repsol CBR1000RR is really the Honda I want.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #37
saxnbass

Might be a silly question; what's a slipper clutch / what's it do?

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #38
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

It allows the rear tire and engine to synch without the rear tire locking up when you down shift a couple of gears at speed.

"They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power."

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM   #39
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Essentially like the name says, the clutch slips a little to keep the rear from locking up during heavy down shifts. Like in the situation Austexjg, without the slipper clutch the rear wheel skips since the engine RPMs and the wheel speed are different. With the slipper clutch it give the rear wheel some degree of slip so the engine can eventually catch up.

It just smooths things out, and keeps the rear from going out or becoming jumpy.

Does that help?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM   #40
saxnbass

That does indeed. Guess I need to learn how to blip the throttle properly. I'm one of those, downshift and slowly release the clutch guys.