ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old February 25th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - 11 Questions with GNCC ATV XC1 Pro Class Champi

By Bill Kresnak

Walker Fowler captured his first XC-1 Pro Class championship title last year in the AMSOIL Grand National Cross Country Series, presented by Maxxis. We asked him a few questions to see what the season was like, and what he expects this year.

AMA: What was your 2015 season like?
Walker Fowler: The 2015 season went extremely well overall. We started the season with a win at round one, a mud race at round two where I was able to salvage a third, and the wheels sort of fell off, so to speak, at Round 3. I always struggle at the North Carolina track, and a seventh was the best I had that day. From there we flip-flopped wins and seconds with Adam McGill, which kept the points really tight -- ending the first nine rounds nine points behind. I worked hard all summer on my training and quad set up and came back to racing with three consecutive wins while Adam had some bad luck. The last round in Indiana I had to finish tenth to clinch the championship. I think the pressure got to me and early in the race I was barely in the top 10 with Adam leading, but as the race wore on I got into the top five. Adam ended up not completing the last lap, so I cruised in to the finish in fourth for the day and my first career pro championship.

AMA: Was McGill your toughest competition?
WF: No question. He was on fire early in the season, getting some wins and staying on the podium consistently. Suffering a seventh and a DNF in the first five races really had me in a deep rut to climb out of. I had to really focus on winning because Adam was always right there. Had it not been for a DNF on his part at Round 10, I think the last three races would have been even more challenging than they already were. He rode a great season.

AMA: What’s the funniest thing that happened to you during the 2015 season?
WF: At the first round I had the flu really bad leading up to the race. I fought all day and used up every ounce of energy I had. I was so dehydrated that I tried to fist pump crossing the finish line but my entire body cramped all at once -- if you can picture a T-Rex fist pumping that's more what it looked like -- and crashed myself coming into the finish. It was rather embarrassing, but looking back we get a good chuckle.

AMA: What was the most heart-breaking thing to happen to you during the 2015 season?
WF: Breaking a chain at Round 5 in a terrible mud run after a bad race at Round 3 was tough. I was running third and had a chance for second. It was a good day to make up some points but we don't have control over everything. It made us just work that much harder the rest of the year.

AMA: What was your first race? How old were you? What was it like?
WF: My first race would be in the winter of 1996. I was 4 years old. I don't remember anything from those days, but we had a VHS tape camcorder so we have proof I was there and racing. All I know is that I must of loved it, because 19 years later I'm still doing it and love every minute of it.

AMA: What do you like about racing in an AMA ATV series?
WF: It's a prestigious organization. So when you win a championship in an AMA series, you know you've competed against the nation's best and have earned something very special. Also, AMA events offer a wonderful family-friendly atmosphere where you can bring grandparents and grandkids to the same place and everyone have a great time.

AMA: What are your plans for 2016?
WF: My plan for 2016 is similar to 2015. Defending this No. 1 plate won't be an easy task. My main focus is positioning myself every round toward the front and having an opportunity to win every race. Finish in the top five all year and eliminate DNFs. And, most importantly, have more fun than anyone else on the race track!

AMA: What would people be surprised to know about you?
WF: I have a sweet tooth problem, haha! Cookies, chocolates, candy bars -- you name it -- it's my weakness. But, luckily, every time I eat something I shouldn't I just add a lap or two riding or another mile of jogging to try and balance it out. I have a bad feeling one day it's going to catch up with me.

AMA: Who would you like to thank for supporting your racing?
WF: AmPro, NFAB, Yamaha, Maxxis, LSR, MXP, Fox, MSR, Atlas Brace, Fasst, Cycra, Graphic Worx, Hiper, Tireballs, Precision, Antigravity, Works Connection, Moto seat, Fuel Customs, Web Cam, Scott, Waynesburg, CV4, Gaerne, IMS, Outerwears, Wiseco, Vortex, ODI grips, Hill trucks, DP brake pads, Gytr, Yamalube, Bell, D&V, VP racing fuels, BNR, A+ Powder Coating, Atvriders.com and Xc photos.

AMA: What advice would you give others who want to race ATVs?
WF: Find a friend or relative that owns one that is the proper size for you and give it a shot! You won't know you like it until you try it. Then, a little practice goes a long way. You need to be confident in your ability before going racing. Remember, it's about having fun. If you can't enjoy it, then maybe it's time to rethink it. I have been racing 19 years, and I hope I have another 19 in me. It's been the single best decision so far in my life.

AMA: What would you be doing if you weren’t racing ATVs?
WF: That's a tough one. I've done this my entire life so it's really hard to say what I would do. My plan after racing is, hopefully, to either find myself working with one of the great companies that have helped me over the years or possibly even own a dealership. But without ATV racing in the beginning, I suppose neither of those "jobs" would have been likely choices.

Click here for full story...