ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 4th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
What do I need to know to rebuild my engine?

I was greeted with coolant in my oil today... Woohoo...

Anyway, FSM is already being shipped to my house. I've done just about everything on this motorcycle except for monkeying around in the engine.

What should I replace while I'm in there? What should I check while I'm in there? What special tools will I need? Do I need to get the head machined? I'm just very new and lost when it comes to open heart surgery.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Don't do more work than you have to, Yes. Figure out where the leak is before you tear into the engine. Maybe a head gasket change will fix the problem, for example. Have you looked at the spark plugs? If coolant is getting into a cylinder, that plug will look unusual, probably very clean.

I can't tell you how many times I've assumed the worst and made myself extra work, but now that I'm almost 60 I do it slightly less often.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Its pretty much a head gasket or... water pump shaft seal ?? I cant think where else coolant could sneak in.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Do compression-test, identifies blown headgasket pretty easily.

When headgasket goes, intake-stroke creates vacuum in cylinders and that sucks in coolant. Especially when warmed up as there's maximum vacuum in cylinders and maximum pressure in coolant-passages. Coolant then gets forced past rings by compression-pressure and bingo! it's in your coil!

Another possibility is bent con-rods from hydrolocking cylinders.

For this engine, I'd disassemble, clean up and measure everything. Then replace just what's needed: headgasket, rod/main bearings if worn, valve-stem seals, maybe valve-job if seats are worn past limits. Wouldn't hurt to do some porting & polishing of intake while it's out.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Come on, Edware-Hubert, you think Yes should disassemble his whole engine, inspect and rebuild, rather than install a low-cost whole replacement engine as you suggested to another member recently?

I'd do a little diagnosing and see if there's a fairly easy fix, and if not, swap engines.

Old December 4th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

In this case, amount of disassembly and measuring is really minimal, probably 3-hrs. As is rebuild, perhaps 5-15hrs.

Compared to 10x more work and cost of milling and machining that other destroyed engine.

Yes, I've replaced blown-headgaskets in the parking-lot of Willow Springs. But if I had it at home, I'd spend a little more effort and just replace all worn or half-worn components while I'm in there.

Old December 4th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Let's not get way ahead of ourselves. He has a coolant leak, not a worn out engine.

Old December 5th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #8
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I was under the impression that this was, for sure, a head gasket issue if there was coolant in the oil. Where else would it be coming from?

Compression test is a good idea, though.

Old December 5th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #9
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Just buy a pre-owned motor for a few hundred bucks.

Easy-steasy.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #10
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post

Easy-steasy.
$400 was the cheapest halfway-decent looking one I could find, and I'm really not so sure that investing $400 in my $600 motorcycle is a good financial decision.

Old December 5th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #11
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post

Easy-steasy.

With the same problem or worse?

Bill

Old December 5th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The factory "base manual" has a nice step-by-step procedure for removing the head on page 4-12. Not the supplement, the base manual. If the engine is otherwise symptom free, there's no need to remove it or get into the bottom end, just to change the gasket.

Old December 5th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The factory "base manual" has a nice step-by-step procedure for removing the head on page 4-12. Not the supplement, the base manual. If the engine is otherwise symptom free, there's no need to remove it or get into the bottom end, just to change the gasket.
Yeah, THAT'S the ticket T.J.!

Bill

Old December 5th, 2017, 07:37 AM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It's like I said in post #5 above, if it's a fairly easy fix, do it. If its not, like a cracked block or something, swap engines.

Old December 5th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
We blew a head gasket on our Ninja 500 a while ago, but the symptoms were different.

Depending on where the leak is, a blown head gasket may not allow coolant into the oil.

In our case, combustion pressure leaked into the cooling system - over-pressurizing it. The coolant then filled and overflowed the reservoir bottle as soon as the engine warmed-up.

As suggested - I would try the compression test first, just to get more info before pulling things apart. I wouldn't disassemble any more than necessary to cure the problem if everything else has been working properly.

If you do pull the head and cylinder, I suggest being prepared to lap them both before reassembly. I would also get your hands on a service manual of some kind to help you through the process if you are not familiar. We purchased an online Service Manual from Cyclepedia for the 500 that was pretty good.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #16
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I was under the impression that this was, for sure, a head gasket issue if there was coolant in the oil. Where else would it be coming from?

Compression test is a good idea, though.
I've seen cracked heads leak coolant into oil also. Compression test would show that as well. If you don't find a compromized headgasket, look for cracks in head.

Old December 5th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #17
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

a leak down test beats a compression test, if possible, but both are helpful for different things.

In any case, if it is just a leaky head gasket, if you can do valve clearances, you can do a head gasket swap.

side note: I had the same problem as Jay + others. My "leak" was a sunken cylinder that allowed both coolant into the cylinder AND for excess pressure to go into the cooling system over pressurizing it.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
My suggestion: swap & seal water pumps. Diagnose/tear apart and inspect the head gasket. Both are cheap.

If those don't fix it, here's a useful link:
http://www.rcramer.com/bikes/ex250/rebuild_notes.html

A complete rebuild is both more time consuming and expensive than you can wrap your head around if you have to ask, no offense. I did a bunch of work on mine and it was entirely too much effort for what it was. Then I swapped a built newgen engine in. Besides a few small details, that was very easy.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #19
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
My suggestion: swap & seal water pumps. Diagnose/tear apart and inspect the head gasket. Both are cheap.

A complete rebuild is both more time consuming and expensive than you can wrap your head around if you have to ask, no offense. I did a bunch of work on mine and it was entirely too much effort for what it was. Then I swapped a built newgen engine in. Besides a few small details, that was very easy.
What I'd learn in the process is worth my time. Y'know, getting out of your comfort zone and all that crap that keeps us all from killing ourselves. But, as this is my only motorized vehicle, I'll try to not bite off more than I can chew for now. At least until I get my hands on a Craigslist Virago that doesn't suck ****.

Old December 5th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #20
Ram Jet

Quote:

It's difficult to take this guy too seriously with the Barbie doll and grammar. Two things I wish to point out regarding the valve adjustment procedure. Remove the two tear drop shaped rubber cam cover gaskets. If you don't you might lose one down your cam chain tower (ask me how I know). You must drain ALL the coolant out of your system or the engine will "burp" coolant into your crankcase via the vertical tube to the rear of the cam cover (ask me How I know). You do not need to remove the radiator completely. remove the attachment bolts and hang the radiator with a nylon zip tie or a piece of mechanics wire.

I spite of my somewhat snide comments an interesting read.

Bill

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 8th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
What I'd learn in the process is worth my time. Y'know, getting out of your comfort zone and all that crap that keeps us all from killing ourselves.
I get that 100% and that's likely the best reason to get into it for someone like us.

But... again... been there done that on this engine. I was literally in your shoes with your thoughts before I tore into it. I got and ignored the same advice I'm now giving to you. ...and they were right. It was a great learning opportunity but it wasn't worth it.

If you want to pull apart, repair, and rebuild an engine, go trash pick a lawn mower and make it run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
You do not need to remove the radiator completely. remove the attachment bolts and hang the radiator with a nylon zip tie or a piece of mechanics wire.
Even better, drill out the spot welds that attach the coil pack bracket to the engine mount. Then you can get the valve cover off and make a little space for yourself without having to take radiator off or dangle it to make space. A little touch up paint to keep the drilled section from rusting and no one will ever notice that you've drilled anything unless they look closely.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #22
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Actually, trash-picked small engine repair was what I did to make money in high school.

Old December 8th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #23
Ram Jet

Quote:
I get that 100% and that's likely the best reason to get into it for someone like us.

But... again... been there done that on this engine. I was literally in your shoes with your thoughts before I tore into it. I got and ignored the same advice I'm now giving to you. ...and they were right. It was a great learning opportunity but it wasn't worth it.

If you want to pull apart, repair, and rebuild an engine, go trash pick a lawn mower and make it run.

Even better, drill out the spot welds that attach the coil pack bracket to the engine mount. Then you can get the valve cover off and make a little space for yourself without having to take radiator off or dangle it to make space. A little touch up paint to keep the drilled section from rusting and no one will ever notice that you've drilled anything unless they look closely.
Good advice Chris. Especially if you plan on adjusting the valve lash more than once in your life.

Bill

Old December 8th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #24
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

I have completely taken mine apart 5 times....it gets easy around #3.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #25
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I'm an idiot. The only time I'd been riding is when I was going to work because I injured my knee and bicycling wasn't good for it. It's a short distance, so it's just water that didn't evaporate. Explains why my compression is still good. Thanks, everybody. False alarm.

Old December 9th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #26
Ram Jet

Quote:
I'm an idiot. The only time I'd been riding is when I was going to work because I injured my knee and bicycling wasn't good for it. It's a short distance, so it's just water that didn't evaporate. Explains why my compression is still good. Thanks, everybody. False alarm.
Good to hear your engine's OK. Better safe than sorry. I bet you learned a-lot too. Like, never do an engine rebuild.

Bill

Old December 20th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #27
agnt_kruger
ninjette.org member

Name: Tedd

Motorcycle(s): 11'Ninja 250r, 06 Ninja250r(Sold), 01'GSX-R750(Sold), 07'GSX-R1000(Sold), 96 GSX-R600(Sold),11' DR-400s(SOLD)

glad to hear you didn't have to rebuild!
agnt_kruger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2017, 07:10 PM   #28
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I kinda hoped for a cuss an thrown wrench filled build thread