ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 28th, 2018, 09:14 PM   #1
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Name: Tylor

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Where do you guys get parts?

I'm looking at ordering most of the stuff for my overhaul soon, I need pads and rotors both front and back, chain and sprockets, and fork seals.

Just wondering if you guys had a secret website you use for stuff like that. My local kawasaki parts manager seems intent on bending me over the desk
Tylorwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorwashere View Post
I'm looking at ordering most of the stuff for my overhaul soon, I need pads and rotors both front and back, chain and sprockets, and fork seals.

Just wondering if you guys had a secret website you use for stuff like that. My local kawasaki parts manager seems intent on bending me over the desk
I've had good experiences with Partzilla.com for O.E.M., Motosport.com for Galfer brake parts, and Bike Bandit.com. I think you'll get the best deal on O.E.M. parts at Partzilla. I've ordered from all and have received good service.

Bill

Old January 28th, 2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Name: Tylor

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I've had good experiences with Partzilla.com for O.E.M., Motosport.com for Galfer brake parts, and Bike Bandit.com. I think you'll get the best deal on O.E.M. parts at Partzilla. I've ordered from all and have received good service.

Bill
Thanks, I always appreciate the input
Tylorwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2018, 12:33 AM   #4
Ram Jet

Quote:
Thanks, I always appreciate the input
The least I could do for a fellow Michigander. Gawd, I hate "Michigander". Wouldn't you prefer Michigainian? Michigander sounds like some species of goose.

Bill (a New York State transplant)

Old January 29th, 2018, 05:19 AM   #5
Ram Jet

Quote:

Hi Taylor,

I got this in my E-mail this morning;

https://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/o...10958531&jb=33

Bill

Old January 29th, 2018, 06:27 AM   #6
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
anywhere that's a bargain. i use ali express quite often. trying to tap indonesian market but it's been a no go so far.

Old January 29th, 2018, 07:45 AM   #7
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I have good luck with Amazon, and eBay. Brand name parts, and good prices. I go with whomever is cheaper, and shipping quicker.

Amazon will even get it to you on a Sunday!

Old January 29th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #8
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

BTW, I have sometimes found it cheaper to purchase a longer chain than I need, and cut it down. For example, a 110 link chain, when I really only need 106 / 108.

Old January 29th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #9
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent_too_much View Post
BTW, I have sometimes found it cheaper to purchase a longer chain than I need, and cut it down. For example, a 110 link chain, when I really only need 106 / 108.
Since we are on the theme of parts in this thread, does anyone know of a manufacturer of an oversize front brake rotor for a 250 pregen and the caliper relocating bracket to go along with it? I probably don't need it since I drive like the old fart I am but would probably install a quality package anyway.

Bill

Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:31 AM   #10
GreasedLissik
ninjette.org member

Name: silentlyloud

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja eX250

I have been using:
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250_...E_COVER(S).png
As a reference to the part number, and trying to google it, I seen partzilla on eBay; but I also am using bikebandit for some gaskets, you might get 10% off there and they do free shimpping at a certain cost.
It might seem like a lot of research, I put the 5 digit part number and add the part type, if I am on the hunt for it. That way I try to make sure it is for the motor/bike rather then the (please smack me with a 2x4) Z3 or a 500 or gpz. Just do the research to make sure you get the right parts.
GreasedLissik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I get most of my parts from Amazon, and some Partzilla.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
cheapcycleparts.com good diagrams too.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:40 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Since we are on the theme of parts in this thread, does anyone know of a manufacturer of an oversize front brake rotor for a 250 pregen and the caliper relocating bracket to go along with it? I probably don't need it since I drive like the old fart I am but would probably install a quality package anyway.

Bill
IMHO it's not needed, I run EBC extreme HH pads and a wave rotor on my 250,and I can stop in a dime and leave you nine cents change. I also do a full service of the caliper with every pad change. Write up available upon request

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:49 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^^^ werd. Get a master/caliper combo that's sized right for feel, bleed it rock hard, and go ham.

If you want to blow money, you can get some awesome big rotor/caliper/master combos that provide hella power and finesse with minimal finger effort, but really it's not "necessary" unless you're picky about your brakes, which I totally understand and appreciate.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:54 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

If your looking for better brake pressure, swap out the master cylinder with one from a Ninja 600 etc.. They have a bigger bore 5/8" Vs 1/2" which translates to more fluid, more pressure for the same amount of force applied, etc.. It's simple hydraulics.

I've done this, and it does make some difference, less pulling force, but a little not crazy amounts.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:27 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
If your looking for better brake pressure, swap out the master cylinder with one from a Ninja 600 etc.. They have a bigger bore 5/8" Vs 1/2" which translates to more fluid, more pressure for the same amount of force applied, etc.. It's simple hydraulics.

I've done this, and it does make some difference, less pulling force, but a little not crazy amounts.
Ninja 650 is what I used. Same lever. Identical casting/appearance of the reservoir/master. Very subtle.

While it does give more bite and strong power with one finger, it feels give a little less feel than the stock sizing. Still acceptable and I preferred the extra bite, but notable at least.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:32 PM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Ninja 650 is what I used. Same lever. Identical casting/appearance of the reservoir/master. Very subtle.

While it does give more bite and strong power with one finger, it feels give a little less feel than the stock sizing. Still acceptable and I preferred the extra bite, but notable at least.
Thanks Ghost and Choneo, I think you just saved me a-lot of money.

Bill

Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:39 PM   #18
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Thanks Ghost and Choneo, I think you just saved me a-lot of money.

Bill
If you ever feel the need to spend a lot if money I'll give you my PayPal account info

On a serious note, if you use the proper parts, do the maintenance, including fresh quality guild, you won't go wrong.

The calipers are amongst the items that get neglected, like doing the valve adjustment, etc... I've had friends come to me complaining about how there brakes suck, not working after they spent money on new this and that, only to find the calipers were the cause of their problems.

That's why I make it such a big deal about servicing them.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:27 PM   #19
Ram Jet

Quote:
If you ever feel the need to spend a lot if money I'll give you my PayPal account info

On a serious note, if you use the proper parts, do the maintenance, including fresh quality guild, you won't go wrong.

The calipers are amongst the items that get neglected, like doing the valve adjustment, etc... I've had friends come to me complaining about how there brakes suck, not working after they spent money on new this and that, only to find the calipers were the cause of their problems.

That's why I make it such a big deal about servicing them.
I'm with you 100% Ghost. The first thing I do when I buy a used bike is bleed the brakes and install new fluid. I'm a moderator on another site called the Yahoo Honda-Ascot Forum. Nuts like me are trying to keep old Honda FT500s alive and well. The number of members that experience brake failure is amazing. As you can imagine finding replacement parts for a bike made in limited numbers for only two years ('82 &'83) is difficult. The first thing I'm going to do this spring is replace my brake fluid. $5.00 and 1/2 hour of your time is cheap insurance.

By the way, I have on order some Galfer Kevlar front brake pads. I don't like sintered pads because they chew-up your discs. I'll let everyone know if they are any good.

Bill

Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:34 PM   #20
Ghostt
in your machine

Agreed, I do all fluilds, caliper service, needed adjustments, just so I know what I'm dealing with. It's like the oil pump screen on the 250, it's amazing how many people don't even know about it, and it goes unchecked.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:50 PM   #21
Ram Jet

Quote:
Agreed, I do all fluilds, caliper service, needed adjustments, just so I know what I'm dealing with. It's like the oil pump screen on the 250, it's amazing how many people don't even know about it, and it goes unchecked.
Yep. I think that pre-oil filter screen is a very slick bit of engineering. After 9,700 miles my used 250 only had slivers of aluminum from where the idiot previous owner stripped-out the oil drain plug threads. Got thing to check periodically.

Bill

Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:02 PM   #22
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Yep. I think that pre-oil filter screen is a very slick bit of engineering. After 9,700 miles my used 250 only had slivers of aluminum from where the idiot previous owner stripped-out the oil drain plug threads. Got thing to check periodically.

Bill
When I got Serenity I checked it, and it was the first time it was checked at 28k miles!! The only thing I found was pieces of RVT, I'm assuming from original assembly of the engine by Kawasaki.

I have since installed the NewGen cover and picked up a pack of gaskets, but in metal, along with crush washers too.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:33 PM   #23
Ram Jet

Quote:
When I got Serenity I checked it, and it was the first time it was checked at 28k miles!! The only thing I found was pieces of RVT, I'm assuming from original assembly of the engine by Kawasaki.

I have since installed the NewGen cover and picked up a pack of gaskets, but in metal, along with crush washers too.
Yeah, the NewGen cover and some JB Weld on the old drain plug solved my stripped drain plug problem.

Bill

Old February 3rd, 2018, 10:58 PM   #24
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:

It's actually the other way around. Bigger bore gives you less leverage, firmer feel and requires more lever force with less travel, (same exact fluid volume needs to be moved).
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #25
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
It's actually the other way around. Bigger bore gives you less leverage, firmer feel and requires more lever force with less travel, (same exact fluid volume needs to be moved).
Yeah, that too

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 4th, 2018, 11:28 AM   #26
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I think it comes down to personal preference as max braking force is the same since that's dictated by front tyre's contact patch on ground. Some people like firmer squeeze with more force, thus larger MC. Some people like more leverage with lighter softer 1-finger squeeze. At the limit when front tyre start to slide, you end up with same max deceleration force anyway.

I recently got some brake rotors, clutch discs, clip-ons and fork seals from Ali. Got lithium battery, smart charger, stainless lines, Galfer pads off eBay. A Ninja 500r, spare newgen wingarm, stock rear brakes, newgen wheels, vRossi wheels off Craigslist.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #27
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I think it comes down to personal preference as max braking force is the same since that's dictated by front tyre's contact patch on ground. Some people like firmer squeeze with more force, thus larger MC. Some people like more leverage with lighter softer 1-finger squeeze. At the limit when front tyre start to slide, you end up with same max deceleration force anyway.

I recently got some brake rotors, clutch discs, clip-ons and fork seals from Ali. Got lithium battery, smart charger, stainless lines, Galfer pads off eBay. A Ninja 500r, spare newgen wingarm, stock rear brakes, newgen wheels, vRossi wheels off Craigslist.
Where did you get your highway pegs?

Bill

Old February 4th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #28
Ghostt
in your machine

I totally agree with everyone is different when it comes to the way the want it to FEEL to them.

My 250 & 500 both share common parts, I went with some parts that are different, which makes them FEEL different, the 500 has a bit more quicker bite.

But it's important to remember that both systems have been well maintained.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 4th, 2018, 02:42 PM   #29
Ram Jet

Quote:
I totally agree with everyone is different when it comes to the way the want it to FEEL to them.

My 250 & 500 both share common parts, I went with some parts that are different, which makes them FEEL different, the 500 has a bit more quicker bite.

But it's important to remember that both systems have been well maintained.
A stitch in time saves nine?

Bill