ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2022, 06:59 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

New Carb for the TT250 !

the other day I stumbled across a video on you tube about putting a bigger carb on the TT250.... I already knew by the looks of it that it was woefully small
anyway this guy got a Nibbi carb and put on it and was very impressed
so I followed his link and found it and sense it was on Amazon i put the 3 things into my shopping cart... then a window pops up and says if I apply for a card all this would be free.... so I thought what the heck i'll give that a try...
a few seconds later a new window pops up and says I am approved and I have $150.00 credit on the new card available immediately. so I tried to complete the order but the air cleaner was out of stock or they could not ship it to me so I deleted it... checked the rest of the order and found they added a few other things... or I had recently (you have to watch for that) anyway I completed the order and it said I should get it in a few days..... which I think it took 2 days to get to me ! which is like WOW really fast here !!!!!
so I got my new 30mm carb for the TT250 and a new intake manifold to fit it
(instead of having to modify the stock one) and I got them for FREE and still have $30.00 credit to boot !
the carb looks like a good one and every thing about the transaction was great ! ...
I can hardly believe I got this carb for free though ! it's like Christmas !
only one problem.... Not using the card !!!!! credit cards will sink your ship faster than anything else in the modern financial world ! so I plan to give it to the wife for safe keeping I know she won't touch it ! LOL
it has a $500 credit limit on it so it's not a big risk !
but it does make shopping at Amazon alot easier !
so the next thing is taking the TT250 into the shop and swapping carbs on it and seeing if I can get the stock air cleaner tube to fit that big carb !
....I found the TT250 laying on it's side a few minutes ago the snow softened the ground so much the side stand sunk and it fell over ! I think it was only on it's side for like 15 minutes though... cotton pickin' weather ! HAHAHAHAH
China carburetor for a China bike..... make sense to me !
HAHAH
Bob......

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old November 3rd, 2022, 10:51 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yup credit-cards can be eeevil!! I just use them for 30-day interest-free loan.

Looking forward to seeing how this carb works for you.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2022, 05:56 PM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I was planning on installing it today but I woke up at 5:00 PM !
(that's what I get for staying up all night I guess ! LOL)
In my youth I played around with swapping carbs on my Honda 90cc
and I got some Amazing results ! I put a Zundapp 200cc carb on that little honda 90cc and although it was a bitch to start, when I did get it going it was a real powerhouse ! it's like it would not start without pushing it up a big hill and then starting it in gear going down.... but it did run... I had to keep up the RPM to about 3000 RPM all the time or it would die... but that bike has twice the normal power !
I do Not expect that results here with this slightly bigger carb but I am hoping it will start easily and give it more grunt .....it should but weather it will be noticeable is another story.... to me , this carb is the one that should have been on it to begin with ! so I am not going over board at all....
I've seen on Youtube that the guy that posted putting on a 30mm carb on his Hawk wound up taking it back off as he could not get it dialed in correctly
I think it had a sogg in acceleration... which is easy to get doing this.
it seems silly to me to only change the carb and expect a change in performance because an engine needs to breathe and if it can't exhale it can't breathe ! so changing both the intake and the exhaust is also in order
...which I will probably do in the near future. but not right at this moment
I will just see if the darn thing actually works and go from there !

Bob.....

Old November 6th, 2022, 06:36 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well I put the carb on the 250 today but I do NOT like it
the intake manifold holds the carb at a fairly steep angle and I can't get the intake snorkel to reach it like that ....
I had the intake manifold on it 2 ways as it has a slight angle to the carb side
for clearance... I put it on how it should go but the carb hits the frame
so it can't go on that way... I flipped the intake manifold over and got the carb on it that way but it is at a angle and not level and I don't care for that.
not to mention the air cleaner won't fit....
so I've decided to Make an intake manifold for it myself one that would allow it to be level and Not hit the frame.... this may will take a while to fabricate.
but I really do like the Looks of it the slide is about half again bigger than the original carb which should really improve performance... if and only if I can get that big thing tuned to the bike ! LOL which may well be a can of worms !
I had to JBweld a plastic tab I didn't see, that I broke off which was a bummer on a brand new bike. But it came out better than the original !
and you can't see it as it is under the tank fairing...
...there is also a few other issues with the setup I bought, the intake manifold on the original has a vacuum port on it and the new intake manifold doesn't and it's aluminum so I can't really slice it from the side and position it at a steeper angle and re weld it as I don't have a TIG welder just a AC stick welder.... and aluminum rod for a stick welder uses DC
so I think I will just make a intake manifold out of steel and put in a vacuum port while I am at it...
IF I do that I am hoping I can get the original air box Snorkel to fit on the carb properly but I may have to make a Radiator hose snorkel from scratch
I don't know yet ! or perhaps get a 2" flexable hose for a house heater vent
and use that HAHAHAHAH.
it was too cold to work out there for long last night so this morning I worked on it some more.... and that is the conclusion I came to this afternoon
I'll make a new intake manifold out'a steel ! LOL
(that won't be the first one and probably won't be the last either! )
problem is there is a TT250 in the shop right now all tore apart and I need to use the Shop.... so I think I'll kick it outside when it's not raining !
because it has been for the last 2 days !
Bob........

Old November 11th, 2022, 07:35 AM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Wow ! it really got cold out there .... into the high 20's now !
but I can only putter out in the shop for about 30 min. before my old arthritic bones say enough is enough ! and I have to go back into the warm house !
.... but I did get the flange plate I made to match the hole of the intake on the head real good now.... it's not Absolutely perfect... but very close only about a 1/64" overhang in one place... so a round file should make quick work of that
...it was about 1/32" off for half the circle but now it is spot on ....more or less!
I drilled the bolt holes small on purpose so I could get the flange to fit real well before continuing on with the build so it's a snug fit and there isn't any overhang except in one tiny spot...
I also trimmed the tube that the carb will mount on and tried to give it a bit of an upward tilt.... not real sure I accomplished anything but wasting time on that part though....
... I think I will add the vacuum port before I weld it together as it will fit better in the Mill vice as a lone tube and I can drill and tap the hole easier.
( that's the theory anyway ! LOL)
... it took longer than I anticipated to smooth out the edges of that tube !
i guess it is time to buy some more files !
I think I'll make the vacuum port out of a 1/4x28 bolt and try to drill a hole through it and then shape the outside to be a push on vacuum line fitting
... that's mighty small so I may use a 3/8" bolt instead....we'll see what it looks like.... and I'll more than likely be forced to re-align the tail-stock on the lathe to drill a 1/8" or smaller hole !
I may warm up a bit and go back out there and tack it together and see of the carb will fit on it.... i don't know.... i'm still cold typing this !
LOL
Bob......

Old November 12th, 2022, 12:07 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I never did go back out there ! LOL
but early this morning I was back at it at 4:00 am ! and so far I have the new 30mm carb mounted on the new home made manifold (with the vacuum port i might add)
a gasket made from some cardboard and gooped up with copper coat on both sides and
it's mounted... the carb is on and the original air box is connected to it...albeit a bit wrinkled as I had to bend it up quite a ways to fit on the carb.
so.... all that is left to do is put the gas tank back on and battery in it and give it a try
if my energy holds out I might get a chance to see if I can get it running again with the new carb.... if not it's tomorrow's job !
Bob.....

Old November 13th, 2022, 04:54 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

interesting !.....
I put the carb on and fought the gas tank and finally got the 2 lines under the tank connected and then hooked up the battery and tried to start it.... no fire at all
gave it a shot of quick start and it fired right up for a second then died...
so I decided that the carb had to come off again as it was not getting fuel
... pulled the carb again and took off the float bowl and I found the problem immediately
the float arangement was bent in such a way as to not alow any gas in to the bowl
so I fixed that and in the process i lost the float needle it was on the tang and then it wasn't.... and I was watching it when I turned it over and it was like it dissapeared
all of a sudden I looked for over an hour ..figuring i had just dropped it but I could not find it anywhere... I widened my search and still no luck.... so I took the one out of the original carb and put it in the bigger carb and put it back together
.... the problem with the float was that they had rivited a aluminum tab onto the float but the aluminum tab only had one side attached and it was slightly bent so I un bent it and pushed it down onto the tabs of plastic where it was supposed to be and used my soldering iron to melt the tabs into place.... so the problem was cured.
I put the carb back on and gave it a shot of quick start turned on the gas and tapped the carb float bowl a few times with the screw driver handle and I could see no leaks...
turned the key on and hit the starter button and it fired right up...
died when I gave it throttle so I started it again.... died when I gave it throttle again
so I turned on the choke... started it again and it idled at a faster RPM and ran fine
turned off the choke and the RPM was so low it almost died so I increased the Idle a bit
opened the throttle a little and it died again....
it still wasn't warm but it looks like I need to do alot of adjusting to get this thing to run right .... but it is idling good with the choke on !...
it's below 30deg. out there so I called it quits and came in the warm house !
I think it's working but we will see if I can get it to take throttle or not...
Bob.......

Old November 13th, 2022, 05:06 AM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

it's really odd to have things disappear in the shop.... I am beginning to believe in the "Void theory" where if you inadvertently drop a screw or something and it completely disappears it went into the VOID ! some times they return right where you thought it landed some times 20' away.... but that usually takes 12 to 24 hours for them to re appear !..... LOL
I remember dropping a 9/16" end wrench when carying an arm full of VW parts back to the Quanset hut one time ...I went back to look for it but it was no where to be found
and I had seen it fall and laying on the ground....
it was NOT there !.... I looked and looked ...it was gone...
the next morning about 10:00am I went up there to finish working on the VW and there was my wrench right where it had fallen the night before.....
these sort of things defies logic.... it can't do that ! but they do !!!!!
I bet you tomorrow when I go into the shop to work on the TT250 I will find that float needle laying there in plane sight ! ..... that just seems to be the way things work !
WEIRD !!!!
...lol later !
Bob.....

Old November 13th, 2022, 08:59 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok I fired it up easily.... left the choke on and it raises the idle to about 4,000 RPM
but I figure that is to get it warm.... i turned the choke off and it would idle at about 500~800 RPM for a few seconds then it would die so I adjusted up the idle thumb screw
and tried it again a few times till I got the idle screw in far enough to effect it...
I set the idle at about 1000 to 1,500 RPM and tried adjusting the fuel air screw and man that really changed things.... after I slowed it back down again I re adjusted the fuel air screw for the peak RPM and then hit the throttle and it took throttle very well
... the gain of RPM is almost DOUBLE how it used to be.... it grabs the RPM MUCH faster than it used to .... I'm thinking it will wheelie now ! it's that much better than it was....
when I had the carb off I put in the smallest main jet I had for it I think it's a 122
it came with a 124 in it I think...
..... now that little bike should do something !
I still have to do a color check on the sparkplug to make sure it's burning right on top RPM but as far as sitting there and grabbing the throttle it is MUCH better than it was !
.... Obviously I need to take it out for a ride and see what it does, but at the moment there is frost on everything and it's supposed to get to 49 degrees today so I'm going to wait till it warms up a bit ! LOL
that new carb really made a big difference.... ! I don't have the snorkel hooked up to the air box right now.... so if that changes allot when I put it back on I'll have to open up the air box some .... I doubt I will have to as the manufacturers usually leave some head room on the intake side....not much but some !...we'll see I guess! but they do notoriously choke down the exhaust side something terrible..... I've addressed that a little bit earlier... but I'ed love to get a flow through type muffler for it.
so far ...so good !
Bob........

Old November 13th, 2022, 10:22 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

an interesting observation I had earlier ...
when I could not get it to start ( no gas in the float bowl but I didn't know that)
I pulled the spark plug and looked at it and it was fairly black like it's running too Rich with the stock carb.... I had put their jet kit in it....and hadn't checked the plug color sense.... a mistake I know ! but it was running very well and I just forgot about it.
so when I pulled the spark plug this morning and saw it was black it reminded me of that fact ! it's like OOPS !
as crisp as it sounds now it is probably right on the right color... i.e. TAN not black and not white ( it is an air cooled 4 stroke...you don't want to run them lean!)
evidently the jet kit that I added was a bit too generous on the jet size....
I'll have to keep an eye on that. !!!!
Bob....

Old November 17th, 2022, 11:50 AM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Welp.... now I'm waiting on a intake tube to go from the carb to the air box....
the stock one just won't fit the new carb , although I could probably jerry rig it, by slitting the side of the rubber tube and then putting a form in side and then filling the split with silicone or shoe-goo (which would be my choice as that is the best liquid rubber I have ever found).... But I decided to buy a aluminum tube for the intake that cost $17.00
on Amazon that should make the intake adaption much much simpler. that way if I ever want to put the old carb back on the bike I can use the old intake boot as well....

we'll see how that goes when it get's here on Saturday.
Bob.

Old November 17th, 2022, 07:36 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
it's really odd to have things disappear in the shop.... I am beginning to believe in the "Void theory" where if you inadvertently drop a screw or something and it completely disappears it went into the VOID ! some times they return right where you thought it landed some times 20' away.... but that usually takes 12 to 24 hours for them to re appear !..... LOL
I remember dropping a 9/16" end wrench when carying an arm full of VW parts back to the Quanset hut one time ...I went back to look for it but it was no where to be found
and I had seen it fall and laying on the ground....
it was NOT there !.... I looked and looked ...it was gone...
the next morning about 10:00am I went up there to finish working on the VW and there was my wrench right where it had fallen the night before.....
these sort of things defies logic.... it can't do that ! but they do !!!!!
I bet you tomorrow when I go into the shop to work on the TT250 I will find that float needle laying there in plane sight ! ..... that just seems to be the way things work !
WEIRD !!!!
...lol later !
Bob.....
Yeah there IS something to that. I can't figure out how that works... but it's happened enough times that you know it's real!!

One time I was cleaning up after dinner. Wiped down stove-top at kitchen island and tossed sponge into sink while walking to bathroom. Wait a minute... no sound!!! Sink was full of dishes and silverware. It always makes noise when it lands!

I walked over to sink at same time as my wife, who was on other side of island. "It disappeared in mid-air!!!", she said. We look all over sink for it, under the dirty dishes, on floor around sink, all over kitchen, nowhere!!!! We loaded dirty dishes into dishwasher, figuring we would find it at bottom of sink. Nope! Cleared out sink and no sponge anywhere! Even reached down into garbage disposal and fished around in the gooey slimy mess... Nope, no sponge!!!

So we just went to bed; figured we were tired and didn't do thorough job of searching. Next morning, went to kitchen and THERE IT IS!!! In the nice clean sink I had hosed off night before!! WTF!@$#%€£!?

I should've set up video camera overnight! I bet it would've caught footage of "the VOID" portal opening up and my sponge flying out on same trajectory it was on when I tossed it night before!

Old November 17th, 2022, 09:45 PM   #13
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL Man that is PROOF !!!! that has happened to me more times than I can recount ! especially while working on engines.... I remember one while I was working on my Honda 90 transmition .... I swapped the cluster from another engine I had there for parts as I had burned the one in my bike pirty bad because of a sticky shifting fork... so I had the parts I just replaced the whole set.... I was getting ready to put both halves of the split cases back together
and making sure I had all the components in there and it dawned on me the shimms were missing on the ends of the transmition shafts.... so I rounded them up and inadverntly dropped one but it never hit the ground I looked for a good hour for it and finally said fooie on it and took one from the set I had just replaced.... now when I dropped that one I was not standing over the engine
I was a good 2 feet from it...so I thought I could find it on the dirt floor...but no luck.... I put the bike back together and ran it for a few weeks and I took the side plate off of it to do some clutch checking ... and I found that shim washer laying inside the clutch plate cover..... it could NOT have gotten there !
there is no way ! the only thing I could figure was it re appeared after it was assembled..... and that made cold chills run down my spine it could have very easily locked up the transmition and destroyied the engine !!!!
.... yet it could not have fallen into the engine half.... but I guess the VOID knew where it was supposed to go and sense there was one already on it it just dropped it in the cases ! ..... it's like UH? WHAT ? it hurts my head to think about that !!! LOL
.... another was dropping a 12" nail/spike I was using to hold the ridge beam
on in my log cabin I built in Big Bend ca. i had to shimmy up the main post about 35' high. and got up there and hoisted up the ridge pole and drove in one spike so it was secure... I reached for the other one in my back pocket while dangling up there and I inadverntly dropped the big nail.... I saw it hit and bounce and lay there..... so I climbed down went over to pick it up and it wasn't there.... I looked all over in the thick pine needle covered ground but I could not find it.... finally I took a rake and raked the entire area ....no nail
so I called it quits as I was too tired to care anyway... I had 3 more spikes so I figured I'ed get it in the morning..... morning came and there it was laying right where I saw it land with the pine needles raked away ! in plane view !
.... no doubt there is more going on in this world than we are aware of !
HAHAHAH
Bob......

Old November 17th, 2022, 09:52 PM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

And No that float needle has not re-appeared yet ..... maybe it has something to do with the phases of the moon eh?
Bob........

Old November 18th, 2022, 03:09 PM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well the new intake pipe arrived a bit ago... took it out there and out the rubber connector onto the back of the carb.... it fit nice and tight. then I took the pipe that came with the kit.... and tried to put it on it fit as well.... but....
the tube itself is way too long and to use it I will have to cut a new hole in the air box and block off the original one.... and doing that will flex the rubber connector tubes that hold the carb on quite a bit....meaning the carb will probably fall off with hard riding... so that's no good.
the new carb sets back a good 2" farther than the original carb does which is the major problem here....and that is too short a distance to make a bend down to the hole in the air box.... as the carb is now higher than the original carb's position so I need to go down and in with the connection from the carb to the air box.... I think it would be alot easier to just fabricate some 2" PVC pipe connectors together and do it that way but I don't want to use a 90deg. connector as it will restrict the flow of air.... I'm thinking a 2" PVC pipe could be heated and bent into the shape I need with a hot air gun
( I have one) but that will require another hole in the air box and blocking off the exhisting hole. ....
obviously I am going to have to make something myself, as the restrictions
of the space is to tight ! PVC is fairly easy to work with, and relitively light compaired to steel pipe, so I'll go with PVC and weld it all together with the soldering iron.
... I could re work the intake manifold I made and angle it down more
which would help quite a bit. but getting that angle would be very tricky !
I could slice the under side of the pipe I welded on it and bend it down slightly , tack it, fit it and see if that is enough, but I don't think one slice would be enough it would need to be 2 or 3 slices and that gets more and more ragged the more you do that....( I know from experience !)
.... But even if I get the carb pointed at the hole in the Air box that still leaves me with hooking from the carb to the air box, but if it'a a straight shot instead of a slight "S" shape it would make it alot easier !
I went to the auto parts store and asked about a 2" radiator hose.... the cheapest one he had was $37.00 so I'll pass on the radiator hose !
so I am left with 2 options Rework the intake manifold I made...
and fabricate a connector pipe of some sort.
or leave it as it is and just fabricate a connection to the airbox the way it sits
..... I am favoring the latter ! LOL
So no progress at all today although I did start it and then did a color check
and I think I have a lean spot about 3000~4000 RPM but I can't be positive by just running it in the shop....
Danno isn't 3000~4000 RPM the area where the Jet needle takes effect ?
so I should LOWER the jet needle 1 clip right ?
I've never liked messing with jet needles in the past but this thing definitely has a flat spot at 3k and 4k RPM.... maybe I should leave the jet needle alone and go with a larger main jet ?
it runs great above that RPM ....
... I'm getting old and forgetful any more ..... it sucks !
later !
Bob........

Old November 18th, 2022, 09:48 PM   #16
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL I figured out how I'm gunna do it ! ....
I found a piece of 2" PVC pipe in the back... I cut off about 18" of it and took that piece into the shop.... I then cut wedges out of it in 3 places so it could bend easily
and then I plastic welded the seems and I'll cover them later with silicone glue....
then I was having a hard time deciding how to attach that piece to the air box...then it hit me.... put the tube on the carb and mark it on the air box and slowly cut slices off the PVC
till it was a good flush fit to the air box.... got that done, and then I marked the airbox as I will have to make a new hole for it and plug half of the old one.... I then drilled a bunch of holes in both pieces ( air box and PVC intake tube) and once the air box is cut to size I will wire the PVC pipe to the air box and then fill the voids with silicone glue
that should be strong and robust for decades to come ! I have to move the oil breather connection as the intake pipe is too close to it but it is removeable and therefore easy to do.....
so I have a PLAN now..... and it seems to be working I'll paint all that ugly black so it shouldn't look bad..... then I'll take it out and see what it does ! HAHAHAH!
Bob.....

Old November 18th, 2022, 11:57 PM   #17
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
So no progress at all today although I did start it and then did a color check
and I think I have a lean spot about 3000~4000 RPM but I can't be positive by just running it in the shop....
Danno isn't 3000~4000 RPM the area where the Jet needle takes effect ?
so I should LOWER the jet needle 1 clip right ?
I've never liked messing with jet needles in the past but this thing definitely has a flat spot at 3k and 4k RPM.... maybe I should leave the jet needle alone and go with a larger main jet ?
it runs great above that RPM ....
... I'm getting old and forgetful any more ..... it sucks !
later !
Bob........
Tough to say as I'm not familiar with that particular bike+carb combo. You can test by raising needle to richen mixture see if it improves. If gets worse, then too rich initially. So lower needle from original and that should be better. Simplest to just stick wideband-O2 on it and know for sure and make just one adjustment without trial & error.

Old November 19th, 2022, 05:31 AM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The thing that determines which carburetor circuits are active is throttle position, not RPM.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 19th, 2022, 12:18 PM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok that's a good point Jim ! dually noted !
although throttle position USUALLY corresponds with RPM.... but that is not always the case....

in this case throttle position is above idle position by about 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle.... it's Mid range and when mid range kicks in it feels lean ...when it's cold it is a very large area that it boggs in.... when it's good and warm it will go through that area fine with no bogg at all... at least in the shop in neutral
but I expect under load it will be a big sogg/bogg, area... so sense I am working on
getting the air tube connected up today I'll pass on doing any carb adjustments .... in the past I used to do 2 or 3 things at once but I have learned not to be so hasty as many things interact and can throw you off easily
if I can find some small wire in the shop I'll sew the PVC onto the Airbox and try to get the air box all buttoned up today.... I doubt I will as I have alot to do and it is cold out there....
Thanks guys !
Bob.......

Old November 19th, 2022, 12:21 PM   #20
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Hay Danno what is this wide band O2 sensor you are on about ?
Never owned one before, but it sounds like it would be a good thing to have !
gott'a link ???
Bob......

Old November 20th, 2022, 05:19 PM   #21
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I put the TT250 all back together and ran it up to the end of the road and back ( a whole 2 ~3 blocks) after idling it a very long time.
it definitely has alot more bottom end but there is a soft spot in acceleration
around 1/4 to half throttle. so I do think raising the jet needle is in order but I will do that later.
the air snorkel tube I finally wound up with was a hard thing to make but it did
turn out fairly well, I'm happy with it....
it is not peppy enough to wheelie by any means , without dumping the clutch
but the acceleration from a stop is quite a bit better than it was to begin with.
it's too darn cold out there to do much on the bikes.
it works but it's not real impressive .....yet !
Bob......

Old November 21st, 2022, 10:12 PM   #22
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, I took the bike back into the shop and took the seat off it and lifted the rear of the gas tank and heard a snap/pop and I thought ooooh darn it ! I keep forgetting that fairing connection infront of the tank ! and sure enough I broke the same one off again....
so I pulled that fairing off the tank and J.B.welded it again !
I then pulled the slide out of the carburator and got the jet needle out and raised it one clip and put it back together again... tomorrow I will heat the one side pannel a bit more and try to get it to bend around the air box snorkel I made a bit better as it was sticking out a bit.... I also used the last of the J.b.Weld on a clip I made for the front of that piece to help hold it in... we'll see if that helps LOL
.... tomorrow I have a stupid doctor's appointment so I don't know if I'll get it back together in time to test it out or not... maybe !
I did a plug color check and it did look lean so I went ahead and lowered the clip so we'll see if that helps or not...I may well have to put in a larger main jet to get it to work right....
Bob........

Old November 22nd, 2022, 02:05 PM   #23
DannoXYZ

Bah, JB-weld is crappy glue, not very sticky and not tough.

Try this polyurethane glue for fairings. Be sure to taper the joint to remove stress-risers. If it cracked in same spot, do 2 layers with some fibreglass in between.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LOCTITE-...0595/202020473

Old November 22nd, 2022, 05:38 PM   #24
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Thanks Danno...... but that link didn't work !
yah I've never really liked J.B.Weld as it stays too runny for too long
it's fine for repairing aluminum side plates though.... never had that fail
but I figure there has to be something better for plastic stuff !
.... my repair worked good ...again but time will tell if it holds this time or not
I scratched the surface this time with 80 grit sandpaper so that should help it grip.... ( i didn't the first time and it all just popped off)
so there is not much adhesion in that stuff !
I just got back from town.... went to my doctor appointment and got there 30 minutes early.... I waited an hour and then walked out.... I figure if the doctor has that little of respect for his patience, i don't want him working on me in a surgery type sinerio .... and no one bothered to say it will be a little longer or anything it's like ok he took a 2 hr lunch ! I can understand that but for gods sake tell me so I don't waste my time waiting doing nothing ! I have no patience when it comes to waiting rooms Doctor care should not be an assembly line ...it's supposed to be personalized care ! this idea of
10 minutes of the doctors time and then hit with a bill of $85.00 is not some game I am playing ! ..... I've been through 3 different appointments and not one has told me why and what they are planning to do... they are just running me through the cattle shoot and will get paid as fast as possible
well, this is one guy that ain't playing their game ! I hate that stuff !
that's inconsiderate beyond words the rich bastard has no considerations for others so I want nothing to do with him I don't care if he is the best in the field ! screw him and the horse he rode in on !
sorry ...rant over !
Doctors ! Bah humbug !
I'm not going to get that TT250 back together today/tonight so I'll plan on it tomorrow....
Bob.....

Old November 22nd, 2022, 07:20 PM   #25
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well I went out to the shop and put the charger on the almost dead battery again...
turned on the gas and choke and it cranked a long time and only fired every once in a while. (not like it had been starting it had been starting real easily)
but after a while I finally got it to fire and try to idle but died after playing with it for about 5 minutes I finally got it running and warming up... it was really cold I have to admit
.... anyway I let it warm up a few minutes and then reved it up to 4000RPM where there was a stumble before and the stumble is completely gone now... so I am happy about that ! and it seems alot faster grabbing the RPM's ....
and no flat spot so we'll see what a run does as far as plug color goes now .....
so I shut it off and came back inside and thought about it.... i didn't think about it at the time but changing the jet needle will probably effect the idle air screw mixture depending on if it is seated completely or not... so I should re adjust the idle air screw for highest idle at really low RPM's.... I will do that tomorrow !
doing that should fix the hard starting I think.
I have a friend I have been chatting with in Butan for about 15 years now , a young kid
who is very enthusiast about strap on the back helicopters.... although that has wained
we have been batting projects back and forth for years..... and he finally got himself a Yamaha MT 15 V2 .... a 155cc 2022 bike and he is extatic to say the least !
he's finally got a motorcycle ! it turns out that that bike isn't sold here, just in other countries like Deli, India ! so I down loaded a owners Manual for it and I am really impressed with that little bike it has fuel injection abs brakes on the front wheel ( not both!) and puts out about 18 hp
and that is almost the same HP as my TT250 ! LOL half the cc's and the same hp is really impressive.... sure the design of the TT250 is decades old technology but still
that is quite a change is a short period of time !
..... I thought that very interesting !
later !
Bob......

Old November 23rd, 2022, 05:59 PM   #26
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

ok I put the TT250 all back together and gave her a run.... it ran great no flat spots anywhere and she pulls much harder than she did stock ! I came back home and pulled the spark plug to check the color and it is dark tan to light brown which is exactly what I want for a air cooled 4 stroke !
I got up to 55 mph on a slight incline and in general had no troubles at all
she started with a single kick after I warmed it up and then moved it out of the shop....
all in all I will say it was a worthwhile endeavor.... it's stronger by quite a bit
and starts real easy when cold and using the choke so it's a total win !!!!
Bob....

Old February 11th, 2023, 08:09 PM   #27
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I just fired up the TT250 after it had been setting for 4 months over the winter....
i reached way in there and pushed up on the choke button till it clicked.....
gave it 3 kicks and it was running.... I warmed it up turned off the choke and it ran perfect
..... seems that Sta-Bul 360 Works ! same gas I parked it with !!!!!
Bob...........