ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1
coolcatjames
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

Fuel tank/Fuel gauge issues

So i was out for a ride yesterday and noticed that my fuel gauge on my '08 was close to empty, so i go to a gas station and put in the pump. 1.5 gallons later, it stops pumping and my tank is "full". i have no clue what a full tank looks like. gas level was probably an inch below the metal oval, and that looked decent. which meant that when my gauge was at empty, i actually had like 3 gallons left ?! When i turned the bike on, i noticed that the fuel gauge was only at ~60-70% full.

Am i not fueling it right? should i go off the tank over the gauge? should i change out the fuel gauge?
coolcatjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

It's not the gauge it's actually the fuel sending unit. This is a popular issue with our bikes. Just reset your trip each fill up and then fill again at 200 miles.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Ah, people like you make me feel like I read way too much about this bike before I bought it..

Yeah, from what I've read, it's a pretty common issue. Mine does kinda the same thing. It says it's like 80% full on the gauge when it's all the way full and now instead of getting leery when it's hovering towards E like in my car, I know I can let it go all the way to E before I really have to worry. And yeah, 200...unless you're riding my bike. Then you might not make it that far on one tank.

Old July 9th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

off: noticet that you have fuel gauge instead of temperature gauge... so how do you know what temperature of engine is? or is there just a light for overheating?
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartin View Post
off: noticet that you have fuel gauge instead of temperature gauge... so how do you know what temperature of engine is? or is there just a light for overheating?
its the idiot light inside the fuel guage.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i got it to read full once by luck.
E = 1/2 tank for me.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatjames View Post
Am i not fueling it right? should i go off the tank over the gauge? should i change out the fuel gauge?
You're not filling it up. You can't wait for it to pop off like in cars and call it done. To fill the tank you need to hold the pump control manually, and fill it until it just touches the metal ring at the top of the tank. The difference between there and a few inches below is a significant portion of tank volume. Be careful to not overfill it though, up and over the metal rim, as it will go straight out the overflow tube. If it's a California bike, it can also start to soak the charcoal canister, eventually causing hard starting. (not an issue for a 49-state bike).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I too have noticed the same problem with my last 3 fill ups, I fill it until it stops then I go just a little more and stop at about an inch or two from the metal ring. I just filled up today and when I started my bike it showed about 3/4 tank on the fuel gauge. I had 203 on my odo and it took 3.2 gallons of fuel. I am going to fill up to the ring and see if that makes a difference. I have to get my 600 maint. check and was going to mention it to them, but if I am not filling it up all the way maybe it is not a problem, just an error on my part. If I am reading the posts correctly, will I have this problem continuously? Or does actually read full if you fill it up to the metal ring?
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

I don't pay attention to the gas gauge anymore. I fill up around every 180 miles or so because the gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate. My first post on the forum was actually about the gas gauge. I would fill up everytimethe gauge shows empty and its always empty at 125 miles on the trip. Everytime I would fill up, it'll only take 2.5 gallons. So i decided to just ride it out until I ran out of gas and went over 200 miles before I filled up. But, like I said, i always fill 180 on the trip just to be safe

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
I too have noticed the same problem with my last 3 fill ups, I fill it until it stops then I go just a little more and stop at about an inch or two from the metal ring. I just filled up today and when I started my bike it showed about 3/4 tank on the fuel gauge. I had 203 on my odo and it took 3.2 gallons of fuel. I am going to fill up to the ring and see if that makes a difference. I have to get my 600 maint. check and was going to mention it to them, but if I am not filling it up all the way maybe it is not a problem, just an error on my part. If I am reading the posts correctly, will I have this problem continuously? Or does actually read full if you fill it up to the metal ring?
Lol, Toua posted it before I could. The fuel gauge is notoriously off. My personal experience with it is that it always shows full when it is full but the tank is a little over 1/4 when the gauge reads empty. For me, this works out since it's consistently wrong but others have had different experiences. My advice?

Stay seated on the bike to keep it straight up and fill it to a little under the metal ring. Reset your trip and fill up around 180-200 miles. That, or if you know your bike and it's as consistent in it's inaccuracy as mine, use that.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #11
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Thanks Mark for the advise, this evening I went to fill-up more and slowly got the gas just under the metal ring, like you said, and IT WORKED!!!!! I actually got my gas gauge to the full mark. I am going to watch the odo and will fill up around 200 miles, just to be safe. Thank you soooo much.
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote