ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Notices

Old April 27th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
kkim

Group Buy: PREGEN- Area P Full Exhaust System

Okay, pregen owners, this is your chance to get in on a deal!!! This is another Ninjette.org only, exclusive group buy from Area P, so if you know pregen owners on other forums, let them know about the offer so they can get in on the great pricing. Everyone is welcome to participate as long as they are a Ninjette member.

First, some background on the system and it's development...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13852

After working with Kerry for a few weeks to get the best pricing for these, this is what he's come up with...
So here's the deal - the system would only come one way; 18" stainless steel muffler, 2.0" inlet/core/turn down exit tip.

More details from the AP site...
http://www.areapnolimits.com/product...Ninja-1988.php

Price for this system will be...
$295.00, plus $19.50 shipping (within the lower 48 states). Outside, we'll quote them the best rates by USPS.

The "Performance Kit", Jet Kits and/or D.E.I. will be available at the normal discounted prices noted on the website page.

As a comparison, AP sells their universal Stainless muffler only for $295, but this is a full system being offered... header pipe and muffler for this GB for this same price!

This GB will be open for 4 weeks from today. It will close on 24 May at 12 midnight Hawaii Standard Time.

We need a minimum of 5 participants to make this happen, so if you are serious and want to participate, please add your name to the list below by copying and pasting.

Thanks, guys.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #2
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

1. Fjyang
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #3
kkim

Thanks, Frank.

Old April 27th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #4
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Read through the original thread but couldn't seem to find a definite answer to my question, namely, what muffler? Is the 18" the long or the standard (which I presume is the short?) muffler? Loudness, or better yet, lack of loudness, is important to me. Is the 18" as quiet as the original system? My main goal is a 2 into 1 so that I can use the helmet lock on the bike. Sounds simple I know, but that's what I want. A secondary goal is eventual conversion to FI so 2:1 is definitely needed for that.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #5
kkim

I'll check.

Old April 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #6
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Read through the original thread but couldn't seem to find a definite answer to my question, namely, what muffler? Is the 18" the long or the standard (which I presume is the short?) muffler? Loudness, or better yet, lack of loudness, is important to me. Is the 18" as quiet as the original system? My main goal is a 2 into 1 so that I can use the helmet lock on the bike. Sounds simple I know, but that's what I want. A secondary goal is eventual conversion to FI so 2:1 is definitely needed for that.
As indicated above, it is the 18" long stainless muffler only. With the 2.0" inlet/core/outlet, it is slightly louder than the long quiet core, but much quieter than the standard 12" muffler. No aftermarket muffler will be as quiet as the original oem system. Sound data & bytes are on our website for referance. The system should have no bearing on your helmet lock and/or location, but honestly I've never been asked that question before. Look at the picture and see if this will possibly answer this for you.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
As indicated above, it is the 18" long stainless muffler only. With the 2.0" inlet/core/outlet, it is slightly louder than the long quiet core, but much quieter than the standard 12" muffler. No aftermarket muffler will be as quiet as the original oem system. Sound data & bytes are on our website for referance. The system should have no bearing on your helmet lock and/or location, but honestly I've never been asked that question before. Look at the picture and see if this will possibly answer this for you.
The stock pregen helmet lock location places the helmet (face shield in my particular case) in direct contact with the left muffler, generally resulting in something melting, unless one waits long enough for it to cool down after a ride. The Area P system has one muffler on the right, making the helmet lock usable to me. IIRC you said an O2 sensor bung can be welded in place, can you supply one? Or suggest where to get one? I've got a TIG welder and just finished TIG class so should be able to weld it on myself.

Thanks!

Old April 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #8
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
IIRC you said an O2 sensor bung can be welded in place, can you supply one? Or suggest where to get one? I've got a TIG welder and just finished TIG class so should be able to weld it on myself.
Here is my reply to a similar request. "

For the Bungs you have noted, the issue with using automotive type units is primarily the material and design. Our system is made from 304 series stainless steel. Most Auto bungs are from 400 or 303 series (they may say they are 304, but it is highly unlikely....). 400 does not weld very well and will rust. 303 is easier and cheaper to machine, but also is dubious when welding. Also they do not machine in any kind of orientation shoulder, so there is not additional support or location set. One of them you have noted is steel. I don't recommend you use a steel version.

Our Bungs are cnc machined from 304 series stainless steel only, which is costly and a pain. But they are done correctly and TIG weld perfectly. We also machine in a "Shoulder" so when we drill/mill the hole in the tubing, the Bung stays properly located for a smooth transition through the tube, as well as having additional support on the material. We pre-heat the component when welding (since it is so much thicker than the tubing) to assure minimal distortion with no stress cracking when cooling."

We charge $25 when purchased/installed with the system. Simply let us know where you would like it located.

Old April 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 2016 Ninja 300 1994 KTM 300 EXC

1. Fjyang
2. Hunsy34

Was hoping for the 12 inch I like the way it looks but the 18 inch will do!!!!
Hunsy34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #10
kkim

Kerry... just noticed that Fjyang's bike is an 87'. Will this system fit his bike?

Old April 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #11
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Kerry... just noticed that Fjyang's bike is an 87'. Will this system fit his bike?
Good question. Though we only list it for '88 - 07, from an exhaust standpoint, I don't believe there is any fitment issue/difference for '86-87 models. If I remember correctly, they did make quite a few other changes in '88. I had a fairly big crash in 1988 at the Suzuka 8 hour race in Japan, so I may not remember exactly every detail, on every model, prior to that year....

Old April 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #12
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

1. Fjyang
2. Hunsy34
3. Sombo

Even though it's not the long quiet core it can't be any louder then my current Yoshi pipe that is in need of replacement soon from corrosion on the pipe.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #13
kkim

Mike,

if you click the link to AP in the original post, they have dB readings of the system. I don't know what level the Yoshi pipe emits, but if you can find that info, it will at least give you some basis for comparison.

Old April 28th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #14
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Even though the body work on 86-87 model is completely different from 88-07 model, the engine is the same except for carb which went down from 32mm to 30mm to boost mid range. The 86-87 model dosnt have a lower fairing so I know for sure the header and mid pipe will fit. In fact I just mounted the sprocket cover and kick stand from a 2009 250 to my 87 as I like the look and it bolt right on which tell me the 250 engine is pretty much the same from 86-11. The clutch cover bolt pattern looks the same too.

The only issue it might have is the canister mount as the rear peg position is different between the two bikes but since Area P is a removable bracket and can slide up and down the canister, I hope I get lucky The earlier Yosh and Muzzy full system for the 88-07 model have a fix mount tab that is welded onto the canister or mid pipe so it won't work on the earlier 86-87 model but later Muzzy systems change to the modern system of canister bracket which should work.

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #15
sombo

Quote:
Mike,

if you click the link to AP in the original post, they have dB readings of the system. I don't know what level the Yoshi pipe emits, but if you can find that info, it will at least give you some basis for comparison.
Yah, I've seen that and how each of their pipes compare to one another. I was more impressed with the long quiet cores numbers. I also have no idea what the yoshi pipe's numbers are cause I don't think anyone has ever really tested it. My point was that none of their systems could really be any louder then my aging yoshi pipe, and therefore an improvement.

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #16
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

I know each bike and climate are different but as far as a jet kit is there a base to go off of or is it a hit and miss. Really only wanna rejet this once and be done not keeping having to trouble shoot.

Old April 30th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #17
kbryant
Area P

Yes. We have jetting specs and can help fine tune them for your conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsy34 View Post
I know each bike and climate are different but as far as a jet kit is there a base to go off of or is it a hit and miss. Really only wanna rejet this once and be done not keeping having to trouble shoot.

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #18
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

Ok thats good to know I am sure my buddy who works on bikes and I can figure it out. So we have 3-4 people signed up what do we need 5-7 or a few more?

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
We need a minimum of 5 participants to make this happen, so if you are serious and want to participate, please add your name to the list below by copying and pasting.

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #20
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Yah, I've seen that and how each of their pipes compare to one another. I was more impressed with the long quiet cores numbers. I also have no idea what the yoshi pipe's numbers are cause I don't think anyone has ever really tested it. My point was that none of their systems could really be any louder then my aging yoshi pipe, and therefore an improvement.
I got a Yoshi system too but have to repaint the sytem every few years is getting tire for me. The Area P is made of stainless and have direct access to oil fitler without removing the header along with keeping the center stand made the decision easier.

Did you ever did a Dyno on your Yoshi systems? wonder how it compare to Area P's in terms of HP.

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM   #21
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjyang View Post
I got a Yoshi system too but have to repaint the sytem every few years is getting tire for me. The Area P is made of stainless and have direct access to oil fitler without removing the header along with keeping the center stand made the decision easier.

Did you ever did a Dyno on your Yoshi systems? wonder how it compare to Area P's in terms of HP.
Nope, never did a Dyno with it and until I get the exhaust leak fixed and cam chain replaced there's really not much point. I need those two things taken care of to make sure it's in top condition before even thinking about putting it on a Dyno. Only thing is that if this group buy goes through I plan to just use that to fix the leak lol.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #22
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

We have 3 people right now we only need two more. Can someone post a link on the 250.org site since there was a new topic started maybe they got lost.......

Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM   #23
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

been gone for a few daze

i'll be #4 on this list

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #24
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post

been gone for a few daze

i'll be #4 on this list
okay, I'll add you

1. Fjyang
2. Hunsy34
3. Sombo
4. komohana

Old May 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #25
FrugalNinja250

Still thinking about it. I really don't want a loud exhaust. The stock exhaust is ideal to me in terms of noise.

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #26
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

You would be our 5th that would give us enough to go ahead and make the group buy!!! Dont be shy haha. Does anyone know the stock exhaust to the Area P exhaust as far as dbA?

Old May 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #27
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsy34 View Post
You would be our 5th that would give us enough to go ahead and make the group buy!!! Dont be shy haha. Does anyone know the stock exhaust to the Area P exhaust as far as dbA?
Their site has it listed with the shorter 12" 2"/core muffler and the 18" 1.75"/core muffler vs the stock:

Static sound readings:
.................................................... Idle 5000rpm
Stock ....................................... 80 dbA 86 dbA
Standard muffler (2.0" core) ....... 88 dbA 99 dbA
Long Quiet muffler (1.75" core) ... 83 dbA 90 dbA

Not sure what the dbA of the 18" 2"/core is though since they don't have it listed. But I would imagine it being somewhat between their other offerings. Perhaps it's somewhere in the range of say 85dbA idle and 95dbA at 5000rpm?

Old May 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #28
kkim

This is a quote from Kerry when we were discussing the GB.

The sound will be deep and low frequency, but on the louder side of things. Probably slightly quieter than our standard mufflers (12" muffler/2.0" core) with a deeper tone (less high frequency).

Old May 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #29
kkim

come on guys... one more and we can get this GB moving. who's up for a great exhaust for their pregen?

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #30
poorfatjames
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550F, 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1975 Honda CB400F, [sold: 1999 Suzuki SV650]

anyone out there that has the 1.75" long pipe and wants to upgrade to this 2.0", I'd be interested it taking yours. send me a line.
poorfatjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #31
poorfatjames
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550F, 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1975 Honda CB400F, [sold: 1999 Suzuki SV650]

Does Area P have jetting recommendations for this group buy exhaust for stock air box and/or pod filter bikes?

-pfj

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #32
Hunsy34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
Yes. We have jetting specs and can help fine tune them for your conditions.

couple posts up this is what was said when I asked

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #33
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Come On guys..... just one more. Can't believed the demand is that low, got to post where people will see. Besides the Yamaha V-Max and Kawsaki Concourse, the 250 has been in continuous production for almost 20 years, theres gotta be more then 5 people who want an exhaust system?

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Come On guys..... just one more. Can't believed the demand is that low, got to post where people will see. Besides the Yamaha V-Max and Kawsaki Concourse, the 250 has been in continuous production for almost 20 years, theres gotta be more then 5 people who want an exhaust system?
Bump the post on Ninja250.org? Their community is much more pre-gen-leaning.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Even though the body work on 86-87 model is completely different from 88-07 model, the engine is the same except for carb which went down from 32mm to 30mm to boost mid range. The 86-87 model dosnt have a lower fairing so I know for sure the header and mid pipe will fit. In fact I just mounted the sprocket cover and kick stand from a 2009 250 to my 87 as I like the look and it bolt right on which tell me the 250 engine is pretty much the same from 86-11. The clutch cover bolt pattern looks the same too.

The only issue it might have is the canister mount as the rear peg position is different between the two bikes but since Area P is a removable bracket and can slide up and down the canister, I hope I get lucky The earlier Yosh and Muzzy full system for the 88-07 model have a fix mount tab that is welded onto the canister or mid pipe so it won't work on the earlier 86-87 model but later Muzzy systems change to the modern system of canister bracket which should work.
I'd love to see pics with the new sprocket cover mounted.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #36
kkim

Quote:
This GB will be open for 4 weeks from today. It will close on 24 May at 12 midnight Hawaii Standard Time.
One week left. If we can't get at least 5 people signed up, this GB will be closed at that time and will not happen.

Again, I have no vested interest in this, so if you own a pregen, please do what you can if you would like to see this happen.

gl, guys

participants to date...
1. Fjyang
2. Hunsy34
3. Sombo
4. komohana

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #37
poorfatjames
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Bump the post on Ninja250.org? Their community is much more pre-gen-leaning.
done.

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #38
Mad-B-Man
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250F, Honda NCZ50 Motocompo

I would have been interested if this was the quiet core
Mad-B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #39
kkim

sorry, this GB is only for the muffler option that is listed in the original post.

Old May 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #40
FrugalNinja250

I've decided not to get in, though this is a spectacularly good deal. Reason is that I don't particularly want a louder than stock exhaust.