ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Proper HID conversion?

After seeing all these ''quick'' HID conversions, I had me wondering if any of you have actually done proper HID conversions, what I mean by proper is using an actual projector designed for HID lamps retrofitted into our leadlights, not our stock headlight alone.

I know man many have done this mod on Asian forum but I hve yet to see any here. If anyone can show me some pic to a DIY, I would be very greatful.

jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
kkim

what's wrong with the "improper" way... works fine for me.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
laraider
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r green(sold) 2009 zx6r green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
After seeing all these ''quick'' HID conversions, I had me wondering if any of you have actually done proper HID conversions, what I mean by proper is using an actual projector designed for HID lamps retrofitted into our leadlights, not our stock headlight alone.

I know man many have done this mod on Asian forum but I hve yet to see any here. If anyone can show me some pic to a DIY, I would be very greatful.

can you link to some of the asian forums you mentioned? thx
laraider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

I'm curious as to the function of "projector" lenses. I have such lenses on my car's factory fog/aux lights and they don't seem to affect their performance. Is the effectiveness dependant on lumen output?

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:26 AM   #5
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Well the main difference is in the beam pattern. If you don't have projectors when using HID you will definitly be giving out a HUGE ammount of glare, which will piss off other divers and even the police. Projectors will hum concentrate the light below a certain height (correct me) and provide a cut off point that will not blind other drivers and keep the light on the road..

Check out this wiki for more info.

Headlamp

Halogen Stock

No Projector HID (no Cut Off)

Projector HID

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

I did not take any pics when I put them in my bike, it was not a simple remove lense cover and drop them in like the manufacturer said. I had to enlarge the holes in the reflector so the HID projecter would drop in far enough for the lense cover to go back on. I also machined some spacers to keep them from wobbling in the reflector after opening the holes up.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:40 AM   #7
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I must say, with halos as in the pics, this mod will make the bike look awesome! and much more evil.

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM   #8
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-Byte View Post
I must say, with halos as in the pics, this mod will make the bike look awesome! and much more evil.
Source:

TopSecret's bike on cyber-ninja250r forums:

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
I'm curious as to the function of "projector" lenses. I have such lenses on my car's factory fog/aux lights and they don't seem to affect their performance. Is the effectiveness dependant on lumen output?
It's about light dispertion. There is sooo much more about HID's than being "brighter".

HID projectors retro-fits are the way to go. Projectors will give you a nice even blanket of light ahead of you and won't waste light going over the horizon/FOV and blind people, hid kits will create a standard (crappy) halogen patterns with hot spots and random lights around it. Hots spots are needed with halogen as the lights are not that strong. And if you go all out, you can retrofit a bi-xenon HID projector and effectively have a HID high + normal halogen high beam.. now that's a nice highway setup.

HID kits are the half-ass(but cheap) way of experimenting this relatively new technology. All the kits are from China and made with no standards whatsoever. I did a HID retrofit in a past car I had, and played with a KIT, the quality of parts from OEM manufacturers make the kits looks like cheap electronics. Anyone that's handy and like project should rather attemp fitting a projectors like the top pictures..the results will be worth the efforts.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM   #10
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
It's about light dispertion. There is sooo much more about HID's than being "brighter".

HID projectors retro-fits are the way to go. Projectors will give you a nice even blanket of light ahead of you and won't waste light going over the horizon/FOV and blind people, hid kits will create a standard (crappy) halogen patterns with hot spots and random lights around it. Hots spots are needed with halogen as the lights are not that strong.
So, if HIDs reflect in a manner similar to "conventional" bulbs-albeit with more intensity, is it not then the "brightness" that necessitates the focusing properties of the lenses?

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM   #11
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
It's about light dispersion. There is sooo much more about HID's than being "brighter".

HID projectors retro-fits are the way to go. Projectors will give you a nice even blanket of light ahead of you and won't waste light going over the horizon/FOV and blind people, hid kits will create a standard (crappy) halogen patterns with hot spots and random lights around it. Hots spots are needed with halogen as the lights are not that strong. And if you go all out, you can retrofit a bi-xenon HID projector and effectively have a HID high + normal halogen high beam.. now that's a nice highway setup.

HID kits are the half-ass(but cheap) way of experimenting this relatively new technology. All the kits are from China and made with no standards whatsoever. I did a HID retrofit in a past car I had, and played with a KIT, the quality of parts from OEM manufacturers make the kits looks like cheap electronics. Anyone that's handy and like project should rather attempt fitting a projectors like the top pictures..the results will be worth the efforts.
And that's exactly what I plan on doing. I did this 2 summers ago on a 2004 Mazda 6 with my friend, it took us 12 straight hours, retrofitted 2 E55 projectors with HELLA ballasts and lamps, we were happy and we felt like we accomplished something, not to mention results were amazing. I do plan on having dual bi-xenon's for headlights. It will be amazing, and I'm all about safety, that's why I'm not for these cheap Chinese lookalikes. Not to mention I often get pissed at drivers with these, it's pretty obvious then someone has "fake" HID if you know what real ones look like.

Old January 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #12
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 07 Z-1000, 07 Ninja 250, 04 Honda Aero

iv got a cheap kit on my 07 Z1000 and would never go back.
b_eastep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #13
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Jon,

I don't know about the law in Montreal, but in the United States, all HID lights, whether "projector" or "Chinese", are illegal on any vehicle, unless OEM! Having recently completed my annual VA Safety inspection with my bike, I know beyond a shadow of doubt, it would have failed if the inspector saw "your" projector light installed. The normal "Chinese" HID bulb didn't draw a second glance. My point is "Don't draw attention to the headlights!"

As far as the "cutoff" factor in relation to safety, I like the very clear beam of the projector lens versus the non-projector beam. It obviously won't cause as much of a problem with oncoming drivers as the non-projector.

When I converted to HID lighting from halogen, it was for one reason: My safety. It was the cheapest alternative, with the biggest bang for the buck! I have dealt with bright misadjusted headlights from oncoming vehicles for 46 plus years of driving. Other drivers shouldn't have a major problem in the brief time that my headlights are visible to them.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #14
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

i think you misunderstood me. im in the US. i have the hid conversion not projectors. i did it strictly for my own safety and after riding with it for over a year theres no way anyone can convince me its not safer. every bike i ever own that this conversion will work with i will do it to.

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #15
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_eastep View Post
i think you misunderstood me. im in the US. i have the hid conversion not projectors. i did it strictly for my own safety and after riding with it for over a year theres no way anyone can convince me its not safer. every bike i ever own that this conversion will work with i will do it to.
I have corrected my post. It should have been addressed to Jon. Sorry Brad!

Old January 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #16
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

no prob.

Old January 29th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #17
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

http://www.ninja250.kaskus.ws/ they seems to sell this setup. Does anyone know the price ?
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #18
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac12345 View Post
http://www.ninja250.kaskus.ws/ they seems to sell this setup. Does anyone know the price ?
I figure that if he can do it, I can do it too. Cut the middle man.

Old January 30th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #19
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

This is what i got from the jungkiwenas from their forum :
Quote:
ccfl & 2projector (250$) + original headlamp ninja250 160$
or 250$ only i made 2 projector & ccfl in your original ninja250 headlamp housing
Seems to be acceptable for what he ask i think.
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #20
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac12345 View Post
This is what i got from the jungkiwenas from their forum :

Seems to be acceptable for what he ask i think.
Sounds good, i know these guys in the US do really nice jobs, i'm looking into doing one myself.

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/pages.php?pID=4

Also here is an informative link about illegal HID lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Old January 31st, 2010, 11:33 AM   #21
g21-30

Now for the legality of ANY HID Conversion kit!

FYI....

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html

Old February 1st, 2010, 08:46 AM   #22
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Ok, that's not a problem. Most HIDs kits are marked as such. Ever see: "For off-road usage only. Please check for compliance with your local authorities. "

Well, I'm sure you won't find a package without those markings sold at a reputable dealership/shop.

Problem is, people don't give a **** whether is legal or not to use them, they are just concerned about their safety and will plead "I didn't know" when caught. Some of them don't even know or aren't even aware there are restrictions to it's use, they assume because you purchased it at a store, that it's street legal. Wrong, read the fine-print. Then they get "busted" and come running back to the store.. saying "you sold me an illegal product". Lol, I laughed at one customer who had this reaction when I used to work retail. "Sir, look it says right here, it's for off-road use only, you didn't use this on the streets now did you? "

Anyways, do your research before buying a product you think might be an "upgrade" to your vehicle, and read the fine print.

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

So Jon are you going to do that retrofit?

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #24
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

I've been looking into it recently, went to see some projectors and found 2 sets of them that SHOULD fit due to their smaller dimensions.

When will I be doing this? Probably sometime this summer (June-July). I'm in school till then and I don't have the funds either.

I've already done a retrofit on a '04 Mazda 6, but I have a feeling this might be slightly more complicated.

I'll post when I'm ready to start this.