ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Idle Mixture Screw Problem

My soon to be track bike is getting prepped for some thrashing at Summit Point. I did the usual upgrades. I ditched snorkle and kleen air hoses. Put on rearsets, full Yoshi exhaust, K&N, clip-ons, sticky rubber, and jet kit. I have the Factory Pro and DJ Stage 2 kits. I got both by accident.

I decided to go with the DynoJet kit. So I snatched out the carbs after about 2 hours fighting with the darn airbox. I replaced the main jet, which was easy. Then I drilled aluminum coverings to access the idle mixture screws. I backed the screws all the way in and proceeded to adjust them to 2.5 turns to start. The left carb went to 2.5 turns and beyond to about 4.5 turns. The right carb would only go out 2 turns. And by turns, I mean rotated 360 degrees two times. Beyond that, it's very difficult to turn the screw. I didn't want to take any chances turning it beyond that since it became so difficult.

At idle, it runs fine. But when I blip the throttle, the revs hang for about 2 or 3 seconds and then come down slowly. I made sure the throttle cables weren't sticking. Based on what I read, it sound like the idle mixture screws need to be turned out more.

So frustrating... This is my first time working on carbs. I spent about 2 weeks researching just to make sure I understood what I was doing before tearing into things. And I know I'm so close to having this done. My hope was to have the bike done for the track day this weekend. My track plastics came in today. Thanks Richard! But I'm not so sure if the track is going to happen this weekend.

So am I screwed?
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:37 AM   #2
vmax
ninjette.org member

Name: max

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Your idle screw too lean that why when you blip it hang a while, turn your idle screw both 3 turn and put your needles clip at #3 from top

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
My soon to be track bike is getting prepped for some thrashing at Summit Point. I did the usual upgrades. I ditched snorkle and kleen air hoses. Put on rearsets, full Yoshi exhaust, K&N, clip-ons, sticky rubber, and jet kit. I have the Factory Pro and DJ Stage 2 kits. I got both by accident.

I decided to go with the DynoJet kit. So I snatched out the carbs after about 2 hours fighting with the darn airbox. I replaced the main jet, which was easy. Then I drilled aluminum coverings to access the idle mixture screws. I backed the screws all the way in and proceeded to adjust them to 2.5 turns to start. The left carb went to 2.5 turns and beyond to about 4.5 turns. The right carb would only go out 2 turns. And by turns, I mean rotated 360 degrees two times. Beyond that, it's very difficult to turn the screw. I didn't want to take any chances turning it beyond that since it became so difficult.

At idle, it runs fine. But when I blip the throttle, the revs hang for about 2 or 3 seconds and then come down slowly. I made sure the throttle cables weren't sticking. Based on what I read, it sound like the idle mixture screws need to be turned out more.

So frustrating... This is my first time working on carbs. I spent about 2 weeks researching just to make sure I understood what I was doing before tearing into things. And I know I'm so close to having this done. My hope was to have the bike done for the track day this weekend. My track plastics came in today. Thanks Richard! But I'm not so sure if the track is going to happen this weekend.

So am I screwed?
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:17 AM   #3
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Your not screwed. Change things and see what effect it has. You won't do any damage playing around with your jetting.

Here's a link that might help you out. Thanks to Chris for the link.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the replies. I understand that the bike is running lean. The the problem is that I am not able to turn one of the mixture screws beyond 2 rotations to make it run richer. Has anyone had this problem before with not being able to turn the idle mixture screw?

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yea... must be debris in their somewhere. Do a carb soak, blow out with forced air and try again.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I think that if you turn the screws out far enough counter-clockwise, that they will eventually come out. As @csmith12 said, there may be some debris or gunk that's preventing the screw from going past 2 turns.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Took the carbs off again (which I've got really good at) and hit the idle screw with the air compressor. Also, dremelled the rest of the aluminum covering from over top of the idle mixture screws. What that allowed me to do was to insert a full length screwdriver and turn the stubborn screw with some pressure. I was able to turn it enough. Unfortunately, the air blowing didn't help. The screw became hard to turn after about 3 turns, which was enough to get the bike running decently.

Now it's time to tune it!