ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #1
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

gear indicator?

I am looking for a gear indicator for my 08. I have been looking on line and have found nothing I am hoping someone can help me out , I also would like to get a speed healer but all I have found are ones for elect Speedos, This might sound funny but when I ware my race boots I have a hard time telling what gear I am in when it comes to down shifting thanks mike

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I found one somewhere that will work on our bikes for gear indication but it sounded like it would be hard to set up and keep accurate and was almost not worth it for $90. I reads on magnets on the front wheel and goes off gear by speed. I can see several reasons that may not work so good but I could be wrong.

When you do anything besides regular accell it won't say what gear you are in and there was all kinds of other conditions in which it won't indicate properly when I read the directions that made me think "Dang, if I had bought it first and then read the directions I wouldn't be happy with the product right now".

I will see if I can find it again. It's around here somewhere and I could be totally wrong. It might work awesome, I've never tried it.

I remember learning to stay focused enough to count gears on my GSXR, but then again that one was very loud and had a yoshimura pipe on it. It wasn't hard to hear at all and was easy to tell what gear you were in.

On my bike I know I'm in sixth gear when it hits 7,000rpm at 60mph.
I can't really hear much above 40mph even with my ear plugs on though so I occasionally find myself shifting up "into 7th gear" lol
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

ya i do not hear much even with my ear buds in

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

I can't seem to find the one I saw again. Something makes me think I saw it on one of the 250 forum/tuning sites.

I google searched motorcycle gear shift indicator and there seems to be a few hundred different versions.

I'm sure one would work for us. I've been looking for one too so if I do end up getting one I will let you know. So far haven't picked a unit yet myself either that I liked the sounds of in the directions.

If anyone has tried these let us know!

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #5
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

ya all of my Google searches have endedup be the ones made for a elect Speedo and I really just want this for my 1st track day in march I see my self being very nervous the 1st time out and trying to remember witch gear I am in is not something I want to worrie about

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #6
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Have you seen are new track in AZ i feel lucky its only 80 miles away from me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inde%20motorsports(1).jpg (51.3 KB, 6 views)

Old December 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #7
ninja250
You are sleeping

That's awesome! Never had the chance to ride on a track yet but wouldn't mind trying it once to see what it's like.

Man I don't know why I can't find that gear shifter that works on our bikes! I'm gonna find it, it's only a matter of time.

I remember there was a c and an e model. One worked from the electric spedo and one came with magnets to stuff in brake disk to sense RPM and therfore provide a readout of gear based on your programming. I think you had to program it while the bike was actually in gear and you had to do it on a stand or dyno or something.. whatever moves both wheels at once while you stand there. That's why I decided to pass on it

..now I remember

Old December 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #8
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

ya i cant wait for the 20th to roll around

Old December 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you could always build one yourself...
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/counter.asp
hook the up/down inputs to a double switch connected to your shifter rod and bam. 10$ gear indicator. only problem would be not being able to limit it at 6th gear (if you kept hitting it up, it would count to gear 7, 8, 9 etc) but im sure someone could find a way around that

Old December 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #10
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

I found this http://motydesign.com/images/DG8_Instr_Feb_03.pdf

Old December 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #11
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Has anyone had there bike on a dyno if I remember correctly the hooked up a clamp style wire to my coil wire and the dyno new what gear it was in do you think this would be one way to get a gear indicator to work

Old December 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yes thats called an induction wire. it picks up some of the electricity put off by your spark plug/ignition system and it can be used to figure out RPM. with RPM and speed you can figure out the gear ratio. with each different gear ratio, a different gear.
you can do basically the same thing with a magnet on your wheel and a reed switch to get the RPM of your wheel (giving you speed)

OR just replace the crappy 250 gauges with something nice... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11412