ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 27th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #81
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I installed the Factory Pro shift kit. I've only had it at the track once since I installed it, but I ran it pretty hard and it never downshifted or popped out of gear once the whole day. If it will ever quit raining, I'll be out again this Sunday to give it another try
how much did that run you?

Old June 27th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #82
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

I actually picked mine up cheap from another forum member that bought one and never installed it. You can get them here

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages...standard_steel

It's $99 for the spring and the detent arm. Not sure if you can just get the spring only, but have a feeling that would cure 99% of the problems.

If you end up doing this mod, here is a tip on the install. When you remove the detent arm and put the new one on, it might seem impossible to keep the arm lined up in position with the spring tension while trying to start the bolt. You dont have to do that, let the arm dangle down, off the shifter star, and get the bolt started a couple of threads, then you can swivel the detent arm up against the spring and push it into position on the shifter star.

About the only specialized tools you might need are an impact wrench, or buy the clutch holding tool, I think I saw one for about $20. If you don't have or buy the clutch holding tool you will need the impact wrench to get the big clutch nut (19mm) off. I also used the impact to put it back on, it's not the right way, but I know it puts out about 100 ft/lbs of torque and you need to tighten the nut back up to 97.5 ft/lbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-BASKE...bee3f7&vxp=mtr
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #83
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quick update...

So far, the bike is doing great! I just hit the 1000 mile mark (all track days and racing), which is really a lot for just 5 months. I guess it makes sense with all of the GT events that I've done. Still, I'm really surprised.

I'm running the same Pirelli's from the beginning of June. Those tires hold up great. And the grip is still good. Though I can feel that they are giving up the ghost just a bit. I'm switching them for the next race weekend, but will keep the old ones for track days.

The engine is pulling a little bit stronger than before. I read somewhere that the engine wakes up after several hundred miles. I would say that's accurate. It pulls stronger down the straight compared to when I first got it. The popping out of gear is still an issue. It only does it when I don't want it to, like at race start or leaned over. It doesn't matter if I use the clutch or not. It still happens. Though it happens less frequently now.

Suspension I'm going to have to work on. The springs I put in up-front did great at the start of the season. Now, they feel wobbly and not as planted, or maybe it's me just pushing harder. Now I'm looking at cartridges. I'm still trying to keep this a fairly budget bike. Spending 1/3 the value of the bike on suspension kills me. So I'm considering emulators. I just know nothing about them and how they work.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #84
howlinhoss
ninjette.org member

Name: Jose

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

If you want affordable cartridges check out my retrofitted gsxr cartridges on my build thread. I got the retrofit and new springs done for under $500. Preload and rebound on top. Compression is accessible in the axle well but you need to remove your front wheel. If your interested email Matt Patton at Pattonme@yahoo.com. He does the same retrofit into sv650s fz07s R3s and other 41mm forks. PM me for question or more pics.
howlinhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #85
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinhoss View Post
If you want affordable cartridges check out my retrofitted gsxr cartridges on my build thread. I got the retrofit and new springs done for under $500. Preload and rebound on top. Compression is accessible in the axle well but you need to remove your front wheel. If your interested email Matt Patton at Pattonme@yahoo.com. He does the same retrofit into sv650s fz07s R3s and other 41mm forks. PM me for question or more pics.
I saw that in your thread. They look great. Where is he located? Have you raced/tracked them yet?

Old August 16th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #86
howlinhoss
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
I saw that in your thread. They look great. Where is he located? Have you raced/tracked them yet?
He is located in Alexandria, so I dropped my forks off to him since I live in MD. It was nice meet him and he gladly showed me what was involved in the retrofit.

I first discovered him on eBay, here is his link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-adjust-...84736e&vxp=mtr

Then he showed up as a vendor on the FZ07 forums. I have his cartridge kit in both my FZ and 300.

Although, this retrofit is not as beautiful as the Andreani kit or Traxxion kit, I would say they are just as functional. I have put the cartridges to work at 4 track days and it is a huge upgrade over the stock forks. Also, I dont have to worry about opening up the forks to adjust. Like I mentioned earlier, compression is not the most convenient to access but I rarely need to touch compression.

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #87
howlinhoss
ninjette.org member

Wow.... I just realized.... is your Youtube channel GoGoDre?

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #88
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Wow.... I just realized.... is your Youtube channel GoGoDre?
yeah, that's his channel

andre is stupid fast but I'll win someday

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #89
howlinhoss
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
yeah, that's his channel

andre is stupid fast but I'll win someday
Damn his TPM 300 race videos are amazing.

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #90
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Damn his TPM 300 race videos are amazing.

we (the main pack) have been closing in on him by a second here or there each race but he's the points leader now despite skipping a few races. Brandon's scored separately so they've both been on a 1st place tear. It's a lot of fun, you should head out. Both of the next two races are at NJMP

Aug 30th (a sunday) is lightning R
Sept 10th (a thursday) is thunderbolt, right before the motoamerica weekend there

Old August 17th, 2015, 06:40 AM   #91
howlinhoss
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
we (the main pack) have been closing in on him by a second here or there each race but he's the points leader now despite skipping a few races. Brandon's scored separately so they've both been on a 1st place tear. It's a lot of fun, you should head out. Both of the next two races are at NJMP

Aug 30th (a sunday) is lightning R
Sept 10th (a thursday) is thunderbolt, right before the motoamerica weekend there
I just got my Intermediate bump yesterday at NCBike. I think before racing with you big dogs I should get more comfortable at I pace/getting passed/passing. Also, I will need to sign up for that racing school. Next year I plan to be far behind you all!

Old August 17th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #92
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
He is located in Alexandria, so I dropped my forks off to him since I live in MD. It was nice meet him and he gladly showed me what was involved in the retrofit.

I first discovered him on eBay, here is his link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-adjust-...84736e&vxp=mtr

Then he showed up as a vendor on the FZ07 forums. I have his cartridge kit in both my FZ and 300.

Although, this retrofit is not as beautiful as the Andreani kit or Traxxion kit, I would say they are just as functional. I have put the cartridges to work at 4 track days and it is a huge upgrade over the stock forks. Also, I dont have to worry about opening up the forks to adjust. Like I mentioned earlier, compression is not the most convenient to access but I rarely need to touch compression.
Can you post up a picture of the compression adjuster? Did he have to modify your forks? Maintenance and support is a big concern. I'm curious why he didn't or couldn't pit compression in the other fork with the adjuster at the top.

Old August 17th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #93
howlinhoss
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Can you post up a picture of the compression adjuster? Did he have to modify your forks? Maintenance and support is a big concern. I'm curious why he didn't or couldn't pit compression in the other fork with the adjuster at the top.
Yes he had to modify the fork tubes. Similar to the Andreani installation, he had to grind the lip at the bottom of the inner tube so the bushing could come out.

Not sure why he didnt do single function forks like Traxxion and Andreani. I bet if you asked him he could make it happen like Zoran from TWF.

Here are some additional pics. The third shows the compression needle.

Old August 17th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #94
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I just got my Intermediate bump yesterday at NCBike. I think before racing with you big dogs I should get more comfortable at I pace/getting passed/passing. Also, I will need to sign up for that racing school. Next year I plan to be far behind you all!
if you have a lap timer then you should know how far off you are. Race passing is very different than I group passing (much more aggressive, I connected with another racer on sat when neither of us backed down over the position in the corner (we both stayed on)) Anyway, if you can run a 1:48 at ncbike you're solid to get in on the racing. The front guys are running 1:40s but they're breaking away pretty cleanly as a result. Midpack is around a 1:45

Old August 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #95
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yes he had to modify the fork tubes. Similar to the Andreani installation, he had to grind the lip at the bottom of the inner tube so the bushing could come out.

Not sure why he didnt do single function forks like Traxxion and Andreani. I bet if you asked him he could make it happen like Zoran from TWF.

Here are some additional pics. The third shows the compression needle.
Thanks for the pics. Keep us posted with how the forks feel in your thread over the new few months. If all goes well, I will look into this option a bit more.

And yes, that's my youtube channel. I try to post all of my races up there.

Old September 9th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #96
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

15 tooth sprocket upfront is bad. No pull at all in 6th gear with full throttle. Maybe on a track like Daytona it will work. But it was really bad on NJMP.

I'm going to try -1 and -2 in the rear. I want more legs on the straight, without sacrificing too much drive. I'm also hoping the change allows me to carry a gear longer. Many of my shift points are in the middle of turns, which is costing me drive out of the corner or slower corner speed. These are good problems to have. But getting around them are a bit of a challenge.

Old September 9th, 2015, 07:03 AM   #97
walk_n_wind
racer on a budget

Name: joeymink

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2006 ZX6R

I've been running 14 (stock) up front and a 42 in the back (stock is 45). I feel like I've gained a higher top speed on the straight at NJMP, but I feel like I lost up wheelie hill after the chicane. If course I've got 50cc less than you, so not sure how relevant it is to you.

Also a random observation: a 150 tire in the rear with a 45t sprocket appears to be the equivalent of a 140 tire with 42t rear sprocket
walk_n_wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #98
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk_n_wind View Post
I've been running 14 (stock) up front and a 42 in the back (stock is 45). I feel like I've gained a higher top speed on the straight at NJMP, but I feel like I lost up wheelie hill after the chicane. If course I've got 50cc less than you, so not sure how relevant it is to you.

Also a random observation: a 150 tire in the rear with a 45t sprocket appears to be the equivalent of a 140 tire with 42t rear sprocket
That's the plan, to play around with the rear sprocket size. 3 down in the back is about the same as one up in the front. I can't deal with that much of a power loss again. I'm going to try the -1 at VIR for the CCS races the following weekend. I'm hoping it turns out well.

Did you remove a link in your chain or keep the stock chain length?

Old September 9th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #99
walk_n_wind
racer on a budget

Name: joeymink

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2006 ZX6R

Stock chain length with 14T front and 42T rear. Though I replaced it with a non o ring chain - noticeably less drag...

Anyhoo, you've inspired me to try going up a tooth or two
walk_n_wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #100
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If you want to improve the front end without a huge investment, check out the Ricor Intiminators. They drop in like emulators, but are a more sophisticated solution that uses a shim stack. They might be a nice middle-ground option for you.

From an SV650S rider:
Quote:
Preliminary report on how these Iniminators are working on the Dragon, 'hala ...

HOLY CHIT!

These things are as close to my AK20's that if I would not look down and see the preload adjusters, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

My prediction is Gixxer fork swaps will be a thing of the past ... I am not exaggerating.

The front wheel is incredibly pliant, following the road soaking up irregularities with ease. Lots of HD riders around here have already heard about them and are asking me questions about if the Intiminators are worth it. My response ... you're crazy if you don't do it ... and that is to a HD rider.

To this crowd ... I would love to have anyone here tell me that a Gixxer swap is better than this.
Several of the SV track riders have found the rebound with the suggested 5wt oil to be too fast, so they went to 7.5 or 10. If you're going with thicker oil, it's probably a good idea to make sure the stock damper rods are drilled out (the no-drill aspect of the Intiminators is pretty highly marketed) so they don't unintentionally interfere with the compression damping.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #101
Yow Ling
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): EX300

Hi , where did you get the headlight stickers. Pretty shallow question for my first post. I bought a crashed EX300 and going down the same route more or less as you. Bike arrived yesterday needs to be on the track on the 22nd Nov
Yow Ling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #102
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
Hi , where did you get the headlight stickers. Pretty shallow question for my first post. I bought a crashed EX300 and going down the same route more or less as you. Bike arrived yesterday needs to be on the track on the 22nd Nov
eBay. Drippin Wet is the name of the eBay store. Just look for Ninja 300 headlight decal.

Old November 17th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #103
Yow Ling
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): EX300

Quote:
eBay. Drippin Wet is the name of the eBay store. Just look for Ninja 300 headlight decal.
Thanks heaps !
Yow Ling is offline   Reply With Quote