ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - Go Ride–Safely: Start of New Riding Season is G

By Christine Firehock

Most of us have felt like “bait on a hook” while riding on the roadways at one time or another. And rightfully so. If there’s a collision, motorcycles are at the bottom of the food chain.

The good news, though, is that we are born with basic survival skills that translate well to our riding. However, those skills must be honed. As motorcyclists, we need the correct muscle memory to deliver the most effective inputs into the motorcycle at that moment of truth. Unless we practice and strive to perfect those riding skills, they will not be there during our moment of need.

We can all strive to be safer riders. But aging, returning riders represent the highest numbers of crashes. The first year of riding at any age proves to be the most dangerous. Yet nothing is more dangerous than when we become complacent. Most of us believe that if we practice our riding, we can become proficient, and we aim to be as perfect in our riding style as we can.

You’ve heard that “practice makes perfect.” In reality, “practice makes permanent.”

How does this translate into riding safety? If we continue to practice only what we know, whether these are beginning basic riding skills or what we know from our personal school of hard knocks, then the only skills we have permanently ingrained are the basics or our poor riding habits. This is why many trainers say that most seasoned riders have only one year of riding experience that they have repeated over and over.

I consider myself a seasoned rider with 40 continuous years of experience. I have been a motorcycle rider trainer since 1986 at the American Motorcycle Driving School Inc. My observations lead me to concur that many riders don’t continue to advance their riding skills.

To get better, you need more than just miles on the bike. More seat time can build proficiency, but not skills.

Personally, I thrive on a variety of motorcycles brands, styles, environments and evolving technology. Still, my first ride of the season is in a parking lot, sharpening my winter-rusted skills. Then I find a rider course, schedule a track day or locate a demo ride and research what new safety techniques have been discovered and shared with organizations, such as the AMA, that are committed to rider safety and high industry standards.

You can’t change the fact that a motorcycle is physically smaller, and more vulnerable, than other vehicles on the roadway. But you can take steps to help keep yourself safe.

Although the methods may vary from rider to rider, the pursuit of new riding skill sets and evasive maneuvers is critical.

At AMDS, we refer to riding with “Mental Armor.” Our KickStart Motorcycle Training Series teaches not only quality riding skills from beginner to advanced, but a high level of rider responsibility. We all love our bikes, gadgets, safety features, chrome and carbon fiber, but the most expensive, high-tech, valuable part on our motorcycle is us, the rider.

We are a fourth-generation motorcycling family that dates to my great grandparents in 1913. My mother, Diana L. Marafioti (a 2004 AMA MVP Award winner), liked to say that the day you think you know everything there is to know about riding is the day you need to hang up your leathers.

Always invest in yourself first with professional rider training. You will be amazed at how much you benefit. The thrill of knowing there is always more to learn, another bike to ride, another road to explore and new skills to master can keep our passion alive.

Christine Firehock is CEO and a master motorcycle trainer at AMDS, a chartered AMA promoter and a member of AMA District 34. For more information, see www.kickstartmts.com.

Click here for full story...