ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Thumbs up Rapid Transit 23 Tailbag

Last autumn I decided to get some luggage to carry a few items on my '08 Ninja 250. I don't like tank bags at all: I hate having something big and bulky sitting on the tank in front of me, and any saddlebags that would fit are sure to scuff up the paint on the tail end of the bike.

I went down to my local motorcycle shop and found a "Rapid Transit 23 Tailbag" for $70 plus tax.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/browse/vi...duct_images/56

That page shows the tail bag strapped onto a different sportbike, but it gives you the idea.

The bag is a plain black heavy nylon, just one large compartment with a side-pouch. The pouch has a special port to feed an earphone piece through in case you wish to listen to an MP3 player or whatever. The bag has a nice comfy handle on the top, and has four heavy-duty bungee hooks on the bottom. I found that I can strap it to the back seat of the Ninja very securely: two hooks around the rear turn-signals and then onto the cargo hooks, while the front two bungees hook into the passenger footpegs. A rain pouch and a shoulder strap are also included.

I have rode perhaps a thousand miles since then with the tailbag, and the tailbag stays rock solid; it does't budge an inch.

It's fairly roomy (23 liters), so you could easily throw a change or two of T-shirt and undies inside, with room to spare for map, cellphone, book, you name it.

Here is the "Rapid Transit" 23 liter tailbag on my Ninja 250:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62935509@N00/2552790250/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62935509@N00/2552790248/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62935509@N00/2552790246/

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thats a very nice size bag.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

Nice stuff. I have the double stack tank bag, which is like a bigger Recon 19. I loved the 19, shoulda kept it. This one scuffs the tank. But their bags are very nicely made and look good while they are at it. I might have to look into this tail bag for those longer road trips. Thanks for the review!
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeclan View Post
Nice stuff. I have the double stack tank bag, which is like a bigger Recon 19. I loved the 19, shoulda kept it. This one scuffs the tank. But their bags are very nicely made and look good while they are at it. I might have to look into this tail bag for those longer road trips. Thanks for the review!
I have the stack as well and saw some scuffing when I first used it but some good thick waxing stopped it. I use it every time I ride ands it feels like part of the bike is missing if I ride without it now. haha

Old April 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

That's a nice tail bag. You think it can fit a towel, shoes and some workout gear(shorts and a shirt etc.)? In looking for a bag that I can take to the gym without being too big to carry around too.

Old April 29th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
That's a nice tail bag. You think it can fit a towel, shoes and some workout gear(shorts and a shirt etc.)? In looking for a bag that I can take to the gym without being too big to carry around too.
Why not strap a small tank bag to the pillion seat if you're just hauling gym gear?

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #7
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonracer76 View Post
Why not strap a small tank bag to the pillion seat if you're just hauling gym gear?
I've actually been using a crappy bag that my brother got me. it's one of those free drawstring bags, but its real flimsy and thin. I just need something that can hold a decent amount (gym stuff or occasional school stuff) but is also durable and economical. i don't like tank bags as i frequently go into a full tuck.

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

I've used the RT23 daily for about a year and it works great. I suppose it would work well for the gym if I ever went but I do know it will hold a 12-pack no problem.

BUT, keep an eye on cords and hooks. In the first week I had it, one of the cords came out of the plastic hook and the bag ended up in the ditch.

RT offered to send a replacement if returned mine first but I didn't want to be without for 2 weeks. I ended up replacing with standard bungee cords from ACE and it's been fine since.

Old April 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've actually been using a crappy bag that my brother got me. it's one of those free drawstring bags, but its real flimsy and thin. I just need something that can hold a decent amount (gym stuff or occasional school stuff) but is also durable and economical. i don't like tank bags as i frequently go into a full tuck.
I feel ya, but I meant you could put a small tank bag on the seat behind you.

Old April 30th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

hmm never thought of that... do tank bags have straps? i figured most were magnetic or something

Old April 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
hmm never thought of that... do tank bags have straps? i figured most were magnetic or something
some have straps and others are magnetic. the strap ones are generally cheaper and would work perfectly.