Old July 21st, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
As I approach 10,000 miles...

... I keep thinking how cool a little bike my 08 Ninjette is. Not perfect, but soooo well suited to my needs. I love this bike.

I'll probably turn 10k this summer. Bought the bike in 09 with 1600 miles on the clock. I've reached the point where it's like an old sneaker... utterly familiar and I don't think about the bike so much as the ride.

I've got the usual round of performance upgrades... AreaP QuietCore, jetted, K&N. It's got clip-ons and the low-buck rearset adjusters because I like the ergos better that way (I might go back to the angled risers at some point... they are slightly more comfy, but I'm riding aggressively these days).

I ride the bike hard for the street and it performs as well as it needs to every time. I don't feel like I truly need a lot more power or torque... though it sure would be fun. You have to shift a lot to keep it on song, but that's okay with me. Light, easy to manage, reliable, looks great, fast enough, fits me well....

The only thing I could really wish for is better suspension. I don't know a great deal about suspension tuning or what a great bike feels like because I've never ridden one, but I sense that the stock parts are crude. I often wonder how much better the bike would be if it had suspersport-grade bits. That's what makes me think about upgrading... but frankly, that's the only substantial thing.

I'm old enough that I've got one more shot at experiencing a really really nice bike. Young enough to really enjoy something serious, old enough not to do stupid things with it. So as much as I like my Ninjette, the next bike is likely to be something like a GSXR750. After I'm done getting that itch scratched I'll be in my 60s and it'll probably be back to this lovely little pocket sportbike.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I hit 10k..... 2 weeks ago....it is a great feeling of accomplishment.

Congrats!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I've been considering moving to a larger bike though I feel like it would have to be soon because my ninjette is nearing the 10,000 mile mark. It seems that after that mark the value and number of interested buyers plumits around here even though the bike has tons of life left . I have been eyeing up some different 600cc bikes and I would still love to have my dream bike (04-06 red r1). If I could find one for around $3000 then I could also keep my ninjette though I don't think it would be financially sound for me to keep both and would probably sell the ninjette either way. Since I'm a larger guy (240lbs. / 6'3") I feel like a larger bike would fit me more comfortably and suite me better for my weight and highway acceleration, etc. Highway acceleration on my ninjette is ok when riding solo, not good, just ok. Unfortunately when riding 2 up with my gf the acceleration at any speed is sub par and she rides with me a lot which plays a major factor in my decision.

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
adri99an

Cody- been thinking about the same thing as you- but I DON'T want that higher insurance for a supersport! I pay 100 bucks a year for my ninjette!

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The only thing I could really wish for is better suspension. I don't know a great deal about suspension tuning or what a great bike feels like because I've never ridden one, but I sense that the stock parts are crude. I often wonder how much better the bike would be if it had suspersport-grade bits. That's what makes me think about upgrading... but frankly, that's the only substantial thing.
The stock parts are relatively old-tech and crude, but they work surprisingly well on the road. Not as stiff as one would want for a dedicated track bike, and not as compliant as a more softly sprung / long travel suspension on some of the GS type bikes. But surprisingly well considering their costs.

I ride quite a bit on bumpy and twisty roads here in the bay area, and I prefer the suspension on my ninjette and on my BMW compared to my 10R. A bike that is optimized for triple-digit acceleration/braking, and agility on a smooth track, isn't the right choice on bumpy 30 mph - 50 mph tight twisties. That said, my 10R has a top-spec Ohlins shock in the rear, and re-valved / re-sprung Racetech gear up front, and works quite well at speed on track. Cost and componentry don't necessarily translate directly to "better" on the road though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I'm old enough that I've got one more shot at experiencing a really really nice bike. Young enough to really enjoy something serious, old enough not to do stupid things with it. So as much as I like my Ninjette, the next bike is likely to be something like a GSXR750. After I'm done getting that itch scratched I'll be in my 60s and it'll probably be back to this lovely little pocket sportbike.
Yup. You should ride all types of bikes. All of them are fun. Sometimes it's fun to own ones that you might not be sure of, just to see if you surprise yourself. I like the ninjette enough to choose it quite often for rides over other machines that are "superior" on paper, but by no means would I be excited about limiting myself to a single bike for all purposes either. Buy what you like, ride what you like, and hang out with folks who are doing the same so you get to ride their bikes too.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:21 PM   #6
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I've been considering moving to a larger bike though I feel like it would have to be soon because my ninjette is nearing the 10,000 mile mark. It seems that after that mark the value and number of interested buyers plumits around here even though the bike has tons of life left . I have been eyeing up some different 600cc bikes and I would still love to have my dream bike (04-06 red r1). If I could find one for around $3000 then I could also keep my ninjette though I don't think it would be financially sound for me to keep both and would probably sell the ninjette either way. Since I'm a larger guy (240lbs. / 6'3") I feel like a larger bike would fit me more comfortably and suite me better for my weight and highway acceleration, etc. Highway acceleration on my ninjette is ok when riding solo, not good, just ok. Unfortunately when riding 2 up with my gf the acceleration at any speed is sub par and she rides with me a lot which plays a major factor in my decision.
Other than having a taller seat, my CBR feels more cramped than the 250. Just saying, I am 5'9" tho
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup. You should ride all types of bikes. All of them are fun. Sometimes it's fun to own ones that you might not be sure of, just to see if you surprise yourself. I like the ninjette enough to choose it quite often for rides over other machines that are "superior" on paper
Yeah, the plan at the moment is to get a bigger machine as the next bike so I can find out. As it stands, I suspect I'll miss the ninjette and will want to go back to one later, or something equivalent.

But you never know... it's all good!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Andrew, I fully agree with Alex's post. I haven't gotten my ZX out to a track yet (money...ugh) but I have enough "good" roads and "bad" roads to comment on the suspension.

On the good roads: Much improved compared to the Ninjette, and I haven't even touched the settings. They worked well enough on the most compliant settings even for aggressive riding. But that should tell you something.

Because the suspension works so well even in its cushiest settings, it gets real bouncy, real fast. One bump, not a huge deal. If I know the road or see it coming, I lift the butt off the seat and let the suspension soak it. Multiple bumps start to get problematic. And hitting bumps in corners can make the rear end hop. Like as in catching air and moving some distance to either side. Ask me how I know!

I think if that is what you want, it would be a great choice. Just be aware that you are getting a very focused machine. I was personally wanting a Gixxer 750 myself. The new one was just out of my price range.

Old July 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Cody- been thinking about the same thing as you- but I DON'T want that higher insurance for a supersport! I pay 100 bucks a year for my ninjette!
Exactly! That is the major problem I'd run into. I pay $425 for full coverage and low deductables on my ninjette, its less than $35 a month. I've looked at ss insurance rates and they are through the roof!

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:02 PM   #10
adri99an

I might call Geico and ask what it would cost to insure like an R6 or something...curious about the rates.

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
I might call Geico and ask what it would cost to insure like an R6 or something...curious about the rates.
Geico wanted $1800+ / year for full insurance on my ninjette, I got it for $425 from progressive with even more coverage... Just saying.

Old July 21st, 2011, 04:08 PM   #12
adri99an

Geico??? Really?? Wow- Progressive wanted more from me? Weird!

Old July 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i love my ninjette. it's starting to get up there on the miles, but still runs great. hasn't given me any real problems. it may not be the fastest bike. it may not be the best looking (comes damn close, though!) it may not have the fanciest tech features. but it sure is damn fun to ride!

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM   #14
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Put an SV650 rear shock on. idc what people say, I have it on my 250 and it makes a WORLD of difference.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote