ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 29th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #1
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

Coolant Leak from Head Pipe

Hey guys,

The other day I unfortunately noticed a coolant leak dribbling right down the middle of the two carb intake boots on the backside of the engine. I've heard before that the 90 degree coolant pipe near the head can be problematic, so I took off the body work and fuel tank to have a look.

The leak looks like it's coming from the base of the coolant pipe, and the area where the pipe sits in the hole looks "wet". It only leaks while the engine is running. (See attached pictures)

I obviously checked the hose itself to make sure it's not loose, and it's not. On there nice and tight. So to me, this all points to the O-ring on the pipe as the culprit. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'm definitely comfortable working on the bike and mechanically inclined, I just like to have a basic idea of what needs done. I do know that the O-ring is the same one that comes with the oil filters that fit the bike.

-How do you get the pipe out?
-Do I need to take off the valve cover?
-Does the coolant need drained first? Don't want to make a mess.
-Anything special about reinstalling the pipe, other than just being gentle?

Thanks in advance guys!
bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #2
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

I probably should mention that the leak is NOT coming from that crappy looking area on the pipe, see last picture. The camera makes it look like there's a huge hole there, which is luckily not the case.

Old September 29th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #3
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Have you worked on it at all before the leaks?
If not, then you need to take apart the area and make sure it's all sealed and not damaged/cracked.
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
There are O-rings on the pipes odds are that's the problem, and replace them all and while your at it might've well flush and fill the system.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #5
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Thank you ghost. I don't have those pictures yet, I'll be saving that.
But yes that's what I was trying to get at too make sure all the gaskets were in good condition.
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Ninja250F View Post
Hey guys,

The other day I unfortunately noticed a coolant leak dribbling right down the middle of the two carb intake boots on the backside of the engine. I've heard before that the 90 degree coolant pipe near the head can be problematic, so I took off the body work and fuel tank to have a look.

The leak looks like it's coming from the base of the coolant pipe, and the area where the pipe sits in the hole looks "wet". It only leaks while the engine is running. (See attached pictures)

I obviously checked the hose itself to make sure it's not loose, and it's not. On there nice and tight. So to me, this all points to the O-ring on the pipe as the culprit. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'm definitely comfortable working on the bike and mechanically inclined, I just like to have a basic idea of what needs done. I do know that the O-ring is the same one that comes with the oil filters that fit the bike.

-How do you get the pipe out?
-Do I need to take off the valve cover?
-Does the coolant need drained first? Don't want to make a mess.
-Anything special about reinstalling the pipe, other than just being gentle?

Thanks in advance guys!
Attachment 43788

Attachment 43789

Attachment 43790
I have never pulled this pipe and I was very careful not to disturb it much when doing a recent valve adjustment but;

The cam cover, "cylinder head cover" - Kawasaki, has to be removed. There is a small tab welded to the pipe that the cam cover contacts to hold the steel tube in place. Absolutely drain your coolant before removing the cam cover or you will likely get coolant into you cylinder head and contaminate your engine oil. The steel tube should just pull out pulling straight up. If I were doing the job I would clean the area or hole that the pipe inserts into in the cylinder head. Install the new "O" ring with a light coating of lithium grease on it and a light coat of grease on the inside of the hole in the cylinder head. Reassemble and you should be OK. Not a big deal just a pain in the tail feathers.

Bill

Old September 30th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #7
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Thanks for the great help guys, much appreciated. And to answer someone’s question, it just started leaking out of nowhere. Valves were checked/adjusted about 2 years ago (by me) when it was due, but yeah it’s been fine from then until now. Oh well, stuff wears out eventually Thanks again all.