ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 29th, 2018, 07:04 PM   #1
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

Something Melting / Dripping onto Exhaust

Hey guys,

I've owned my Ninja for 8 years now and been around these forums for about that long as well, and have never heard of this one. So I took a 20 mile "spirited" ride around the lake, and when I parked I noticed smoke coming up from my exhaust in the area of the gear selector. Sure enough, something was dripping onto it.

It's definitely not coolant (been there done that), and does not look nor smell like oil. It almost looks like a ton of melted road tar, it's a goopy consistency. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it's an overflow hose melting, or even the sheath to a wiring harness melting? I really have no clue. I find it odd that this has never happened before though.

It was getting dark when I got back from the ride, so I figured I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has had/heard of anything similar to this. Either tomorrow or the next day, I'll put it on the center-stand in daylight and look into it further. I attached some pictures of what I'm dealing with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (84.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (175.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (117.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (57.7 KB, 2 views)
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2018, 08:54 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
What's it taste like????
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2018, 09:15 PM   #3
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994Ninja250F View Post
Hey guys,

I've owned my Ninja for 8 years now and been around these forums for about that long as well, and have never heard of this one. So I took a 20 mile "spirited" ride around the lake, and when I parked I noticed smoke coming up from my exhaust in the area of the gear selector. Sure enough, something was dripping onto it.

It's definitely not coolant (been there done that), and does not look nor smell like oil. It almost looks like a ton of melted road tar, it's a goopy consistency. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it's an overflow hose melting, or even the sheath to a wiring harness melting? I really have no clue. I find it odd that this has never happened before though.

It was getting dark when I got back from the ride, so I figured I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has had/heard of anything similar to this. Either tomorrow or the next day, I'll put it on the center-stand in daylight and look into it further. I attached some pictures of what I'm dealing with.
Eight year build-up of chain lube?

Bill

Old June 30th, 2018, 07:39 AM   #4
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Eight year build-up of chain lube?

Bill
Was thinking that, since it does have kind of a grease smell to it. And the underside of my bike could use a good degreasing. Do you usually get a buildup of lube there? I thought the front sprocket was fully contained and shielded within that front sprocket cover and thus, shielded from this kind of situation. Apologies if I’m wrong on that, drove my car to work today/don’t have bike in front of me to look at right now.

Old June 30th, 2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Ram Jet

Quote:
Was thinking that, since it does have kind of a grease smell to it. And the underside of my bike could use a good degreasing. Do you usually get a buildup of lube there? I thought the front sprocket was fully contained and shielded within that front sprocket cover and thus, shielded from this kind of situation. Apologies if I’m wrong on that, drove my car to work today/don’t have bike in front of me to look at right now.
There can, and probably is, a grrrrrrate deal of crud under the sprocket cover. Open er' up and see what I mean. Especially if you have been diligent in lubricating your chain. The counter shaft (small) sprocket is exposed just like the rear sprocket.

Bill

Old June 30th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
It's shielded in sense that oil can't get flung outwards to coat your calf and engine. But it's still being flung away from chain and gets caught on inside of sprocket guard. Over time it builds up to many, many gallons stuck to inside surface. Eventually it builds up enough to actually touch chain and gets scraped down and out by moving chain.

Remove sprocket guard and clean out insides.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2018, 10:52 AM   #7
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

I opened it up and that looks to be the exact issue, and yes I lube the chain every 2 tanks of fuel so about every ~500 Miles. Thanks to all for the help!

Old June 30th, 2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
I opened it up and that looks to be the exact issue, and yes I lube the chain every 2 tanks of fuel so about every ~500 Miles. Thanks to all for the help!
See, that's what you get for proper maintenance! Good for you Sir!

Bill

Old June 30th, 2018, 02:30 PM   #9
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
See, that's what you get for proper maintenance! Good for you Sir!

Bill
Haha right? Now it gives me an excuse to strip the bike down and get all the gunk and goo out of all the nooks and crannies. I’m honestly surprised it took 8 years for this to happen, that’s a lot of chain lube!

Old June 30th, 2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
Haha right? Now it gives me an excuse to strip the bike down and get all the gunk and goo out of all the nooks and crannies. I’m honestly surprised it took 8 years for this to happen, that’s a lot of chain lube!
Your OK! You'll be riding that little baby till 2030! I'm riding my 07' to the Keuka Park Cemetery. Unless I find a 1971 Ducati 750 Super Sport in the interm.

Bill