Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 17th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I was just thinking

*it is not a good thing when I think*

I guess all this reading that I have been doing has sparked up that side of me that questions things.

So, I was thinking earlier this evening about how people tend to gravitate towards the "all-in-one" items. A TV is no longer just a TV. You can hook it up to your internet and surf youtube, watch movies on netflix, etc. Heck, you could use it for a computer monitor if you wanted to.

Your phone is a combination of an underpowered computer and a phone. Your cars are a small computerized nightmare in itself. Bluetooth, touch screens, all the latest gadgets and gizmos.

So what drives this? What drives us to want these all-in-one gadgets? Is it our desire to have more with us all the time? Text messages came about to end the use of a pager (though I still use one for work). Most people don't even own a calculator anymore, their computer and smart phone do that for them.

I do like having fewer items, I won't lie. I like how I can track my gas mileage from my phone now instead of needing an excel file, or, before that, a small spiral notebook. However, I give a sigh of relief when I power down my phone to go on vacation. I really would power it off more if my wife wouldn't freak out when I don't respond.

I like being unplugged. Granted, I am not everyone. Actually, I know tons of people who would freak out without having their phone. I have left for work without my phone before. I just shrugged and kept driving to work. No panic, no anxiety, no "feeling lost" without it. However, my wife feels lost without hers. Granted, she uses hers for work and needs to be on call for stuff, while I don't. So I understand her feeling that way.

Most of us don't require our phone for work, except to make phone calls. I am just trying to think, is it us who want this or is it manufacturers who push the want on us?

I miss the old phones that were just phones. They got reception all over the place. My iPhone sucks in comparison, but we sacrifice that for the all-in-one abilities of it. I appreciate my iPhone and all it does, don't get me wrong. It just reminds me of the saying, "jack of all trades, master of none".

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I think it's our desire to have all-in-one type devices. Less clutter and easier manipulation. It's more convenient to have less things when one thing can do multiple things. First thing that comes to mind is a Swiss Army Knife. I remember getting one when I was a wee bastard in cub scouts. I can see the dependency on these devices more or less being spoiled by it.

I totally agree with you on the whole phone deal. I sure miss my old Nokia and Ericsson phone. I had reception anywhere and everywhere. Can't say the same for the iPhone. The girlfriend pushed the whole smart phone idea on me. I do not like the texting or typing on the iphone or on a phone in general but people love it because it's soooooooooooo convenient for them and suits their fast pace lifestyle where people are constantly on the go.

My thoughts are disorganized at this time right now. Having a caffeine rush atm.

Old August 18th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

its not a problem with smart phones, just the iphone. most of the other smart phones get reception everywhere, iphones are notorious for sucking a big fat juicy one when it comes to being an actual phone.

Old August 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Can't wait till they make an all-in-one toilet. You can have your bowel movement, surf the internet, and drive to work at the same time!
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Isn't that the new ford edge or something
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

"Posted via mobile device"

I have wondered if computers (desktop towers) will disappear in our lifetime. Everything I do on my computer can be done on a netbook now. Unless you're some software engineer, gamer, or need some huge GPUs to render graphics, I don't know why the typical person would need a desktop.

TVs will definitely disappear.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote