ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old April 5th, 2022, 09:25 AM   #1
Rstark
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS KRT

Aftermarket rear sets

Ok, I had a accident where the bike swerved and ended up on it’s side sliding the ground and then hit a curb. My rear sets bracket snapped nearest the frame mounting bolts. Bought a pair of what appeared to be stock replacements and also bought a rear set like the Satoauto ones.

For the life of me, since there are no instructions, I can’t figure out where the main spring for the rear brake attaches to. On the brake lever, there is only one drilled hole near the pivot bolt, I’m thinking that HAS to attach to the brake pedal but then where does the spring go? Here’s the dilemma, I have no clue how to attach the master cylinder AND the main spring. Can anyone help?
Rstark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2022, 10:05 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Easiest replacement is factory 250/300 rearsets. Direct bolt-in.

There's two springs to deal with. One is pedal return-spring and other is brake-light switch spring. Typically with aftermarket rear-sets, you also have to flip master-cylinder backwards as well. Post photo of how you have things installed and what's left over.

See step-by-step guide here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14945

Also this video

Link to original page on YouTube.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2022, 10:17 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to 300 tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Rstark
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Easiest replacement is factory 250/300 rearsets. Direct bolt-in.

There's two springs to deal with. One is pedal return-spring and other is brake-light switch spring. Typically with aftermarket rear-sets, you also have to flip master-cylinder backwards as well. Post photo of how you have things installed and what's left over.

See step-by-step guide here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14945

Also this video

Link to original page on YouTube.

I know the second spring is for the brake light switch which is of my least concerns at this point. I’ll have to look at the master cylinder again, but I’m guessing there will be a big gap between the master cylinder and the brake bracket. Even so, I still can’t see how or where the main spring goes or should I say terminates.

On the OEM bracket, there is a post on the back of the bracket to attach the spring to. Not here, no post to hook the spring on. The other end of the spring should connect to the brake lever. I can’t even get the main spring into the pre drilled hole on the brake lever due to the multiple bends in the spring. You can see what I’m talking about by looking at the thumbnail of the video you posted. So if some has pictures of this set up successfully installed, please post them!

Old April 5th, 2022, 08:56 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstark View Post
I can’t even get the main spring into the pre drilled hole on the brake lever due to the multiple bends in the spring. You can see what I’m talking about by looking at the thumbnail of the video you posted. So if some has pictures of this set up successfully installed, please post them!
Spring is inserted into brake-pedal separately before it's attached to rearset. If your brake-pedal is already bolted on, remove it to install spring. Go to 6:22 on video.

It's like some of those procedures in manual that starts with one simple step: "remove engine"

Post pictures if what you have. Some may have return-spring in between master-cylinder and brake-pedal. Note flipped master-cylinder.

Old April 6th, 2022, 07:38 AM   #6
Rstark
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Spring is inserted into brake-pedal separately before it's attached to rearset. If your brake-pedal is already bolted on, remove it to install spring. Go to 6:22 on video.

It's like some of those procedures in manual that starts with one simple step: "remove engine"

Post pictures if what you have. Some may have return-spring in between master-cylinder and brake-pedal. Note flipped master-cylinder.

Hi, the OEM lever has two holes at the rear to attach master cylinder AND main spring. The lever I have only has one hole.

Old April 6th, 2022, 07:54 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstark View Post
Hi, the OEM lever has two holes at the rear to attach master cylinder AND main spring. The lever I have only has one hole.
OEM lever should have hole for return-spring in front of pivot-hole. Again, post picture of what you have. If it's Sato-like design, then different return-spring is integrated into master-cylinder connection like in this photo

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...k7C503jx1lmGU4

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; April 6th, 2022 at 11:20 AM.

Old April 6th, 2022, 08:31 AM   #8
Rstark
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Again, post picture of what you have. If it's Sato-like design, then different return-spring is integrated into master-cylinder connection like in this photo.
Here’s some photos. Danno, so do I need a new brake master cylinder? There was no mention of this on the seller’s web page.

Also, why is the pushrod so long?

Old April 6th, 2022, 10:33 AM   #9
Rstark
ninjette.org member

Hey Danno, where do I get the part circled in red on the attached picture? Also, if I need a new master cylinder, where do I get it from, or what do I search for in google that will find places that sell it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F314F1DF-9492-469B-A33E-AEDD50F432B8.jpg (52.4 KB, 8 views)

Old April 6th, 2022, 11:29 AM   #10
DannoXYZ

Two things seems off with arrangement from your photos:

1. shifter push-rod is completely wrong length. Should be only about 20-30mm longer than stock. Probably got mixed up with rod from some other bike.

2. brake-pedal should be on same side as master-cylinder. Both inside like stock configuration or both outside. Try flipping master cylinder so it's on outside with body aimed towards back and mounting threads aimed forward. Clevis should line up with brake-pedal then.

Photo with red-circle appears to show an extension piece to connect brake-pedal on outside to master-cylinder on inside. Engineering no-no as it's loading bolt in single-shear cantilever configuration. Best to use double-shear clevis as in stock configuration.

Post link to vendor site on this item you purchased. It may be for different bike, or they mixed and matched parts incorrectly.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; April 6th, 2022 at 05:00 PM.