ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
JarodVoss
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jarod

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

ignition bypass? 100ohm resistor

My buddy has a 2002 ninja 250 and I have a 2011 ninja 250 his little brother got ahold of the keys and broke his key off my ignition tried to get the key out wouldn't come so I decided to try and hot wire it (dumb idea) I know that you need a 100 ohm resistor somewhere in the ignition system but I can't figure out how to I get the bike to turn over without the resistor but won't crank how do you wire the resistor into the ignition system. New system costs 250$ don't have the money cause my transmission in my truck went out so now my truck and bike are useless to me. Any help is needed thanks
JarodVoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:24 AM   #2
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodVoss View Post
My buddy has a 2002 ninja 250 and I have a 2011 ninja 250 his little brother got ahold of the keys and broke his key off my ignition tried to get the key out wouldn't come so I decided to try and hot wire it (dumb idea) I know that you need a 100 ohm resistor somewhere in the ignition system but I can't figure out how to I get the bike to turn over without the resistor but won't crank how do you wire the resistor into the ignition system. New system costs 250$ don't have the money cause my transmission in my truck went out so now my truck and bike are useless to me. Any help is needed thanks
I'm sorry that I can't help you with your main question, but you can buy a new ignition for much cheaper than $250. Mine has minor issues in the winter when water/condensation freezes inside the turning mechanisms so I was looking at replacements. You can get them as low as $55 and high as $100.

Also, I've been told that if you can find JUST the ignition, you can take it to a locksmith and have it re-keyed to your old set so you wouldn't need multiple keys for the same bike. I don't know how true this is but it might help you.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
jconolty
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Speed Four, 600rr, 250r

I have one ill sell ya with key and gas cap to match
jconolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Was going to start a thread on this as there is 20 threads that didn't quite conclude as to the 100ohm bridging 2 wires.

My race bike has a loose ignition (I think the shear bolts are butchered or loose.)
it looks like it weighs a tonne and I want it gone, its about to fall out.

What are the racers using for a switch n the US?
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've seen Chinese replicas of the ignition cylinders and gas caps with new keys (different key design so hang on to the old one for the other locks). I bought the replica gas cap. I can't seem to find the replica ignition for the EX250F anymore but I can find the ol' EMGO replacement one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-EX2...13d246&vxp=mtr

The wiring harness and CDI is different in later year models so that old one probably won't work (before they had the 100ohm lockout). Perhaps a $40 replica from the J-series will work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-EX2...7faf08&vxp=mtr

I'll try it and see. It mounts under the triple the same way but the triple doesn't surround it on the F-series.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #6
HotRedTurbo
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesus

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2003 GSX R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
Was going to start a thread on this as there is 20 threads that didn't quite conclude as to the 100ohm bridging 2 wires.

My race bike has a loose ignition (I think the shear bolts are butchered or loose.)
it looks like it weighs a tonne and I want it gone, its about to fall out.

What are the racers using for a switch n the US?
I wired my racebike to use a switch. The information is in the service manual electrical wiring diagram. Well, except the 100 ohm resistor part.

The resistor is in the ignition from the igniter side (gray) I believe. When turning on the ignition switch, it is positioned in series with a 12V source (2 White wires). You also need the regulator wire seeing a 12V source when on. If you want to do this mod, I would recommend getting a switch with an LED, just to make sure you have 12V when turned on. I did just incase something goes wrong at the track it'll help me troubleshoot faster (ie: bike is not turning on and LED is not turning on means there's no voltage. Battery/wiring issue). I'm working now but I'll try to go home and take pix during lunch, which is very soon.

PS: When in doubt, ohm it out. Cut all wires to ignition switch and start ohming out every combination of paired wires possible (with position ON of course). You'll find which 2 wires it is that way.

Last futzed with by HotRedTurbo; April 18th, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: adding PS information
HotRedTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #7
ascencionalberto
ninjette.org newbie

Name: joey

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r 09 ninja 250r stunt 2011 ninja 250r

hot red turbo do you have pictures on how you wired yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRedTurbo View Post
I wired my racebike to use a switch. The information is in the service manual electrical wiring diagram. Well, except the 100 ohm resistor part.

The resistor is in the ignition from the igniter side (gray) I believe. When turning on the ignition switch, it is positioned in series with a 12V source (2 White wires). You also need the regulator wire seeing a 12V source when on. If you want to do this mod, I would recommend getting a switch with an LED, just to make sure you have 12V when turned on. I did just incase something goes wrong at the track it'll help me troubleshoot faster (ie: bike is not turning on and LED is not turning on means there's no voltage. Battery/wiring issue). I'm working now but I'll try to go home and take pix during lunch, which is very soon.

PS: When in doubt, ohm it out. Cut all wires to ignition switch and start ohming out every combination of paired wires possible (with position ON of course). You'll find which 2 wires it is that way.
ascencionalberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #8
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

http://www.garth285.com/howto/08-12-...nition-wiring/

garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
You don't even need to bother with the white/black wire on a race bike. It forks off the white wire just before the ignition switch, so you're simply creating something like ---<===>--- with that setup. Assuming your race bike doesn't need lights or a horn, the only thing the brown wire is even powering is the ignition fuse (ignitor and kill switch). Wiring Diagram

For a street bike, the ignition switch normally connects the white wire to the brown wire for switched power to accessories and to the gray wire (including the resistor) for the ignition, as pictured in garth's diagram. The white/black wire (again, it's just a branch off the white wire) feeds the white/green wire that powers the turn signal fuse. The ignition switch also bridges the red/blue wire (coming from the taillight fuse) to the red wire (running to the taillight).

In summary, the ignition switch is a 3-pole switch. 1 feeds constant power to the ignitor and switched power circuits. 2 feeds fused taillight power to the taillight. 3 feeds constant power to the flasher circuit.

I'm half tempted to try making some PnP replacement parts for racebikes to easily remove all the unnecessary stuff, without having to learn/know anything about the wiring.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 25th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Razaraac
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

2008 ninja 250r ignition

So I'm having to replace the ignition switch on my bike. I know I have to drill the security bolts out and if I buy an aftermarket switch I need to wire in a 100 ohm resistor. Which wire do I install it on with the new switch, or does someone know of an aftermarket switch that doesn't need a resistor. My other question is about the bolts. When I drill them out, what kind of bolts should I use to install the new switch
Razaraac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2022, 02:39 AM   #11
Texas boy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki ninja zx750

What color wire does the 100 ohm resistor need to get soldier onto on my 1996 Kawasaki ninja zx750
Texas boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2022, 06:11 PM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas boy View Post
What color wire does the 100 ohm resistor need to get soldier onto on my 1996 Kawasaki ninja zx750
Hi and welcome!

You'll need to get wiring-diagram and determine if '96 ZX750 has similar ignition-switch wiring as '95+ Ninja 250.

Here's some photos and diagrams on these threads that will help you: search for "ignition-switch 100-ohm resistor"
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote