ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
TheTraveler
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE (Red/Black)

Battery Replacement and Battery Charger

I'm a noobie when it comes to working on my bike, but trying to learn as much as I can so I can do as much of the service stuff myself. While looking for a battery replacement I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/YTX9-BS-GTX9-B...tx9-bs+battery

Is that the right battery? Why is it so much cheaper than anywhere else?

Also looking for a battery charger. Are the first 2 chargers on this page, what I'm looking for?

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/chargers.php

Does the 1st one do the same thing as a Battery Tender Jr? Any reason why I shouldn't just get the cheaper Battery Tender Jr?

After I get the new battery, do I just hook up to the battery charger and wait until it goes to Float Mode?

Thanks in advance for the help.
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2
TheTraveler
ninjette.org member

Nevermind my 1st question about the cheap battery. I just realized that that one is a generic no name one. I'll be getting the Yuasa battery.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

The page doesn't list the ampere hours. The factory battery on mine says 8Ah. Something to keep in mind.

I don't know if the Battery Tender Jr. is automatic. I use a CTEK US 800. It costs more but I can hook up the battery to it forever and not worry about over-charging. It stops charging when a specific voltage is reached, and turns on again when it sense it drop below a certain point.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
....Also looking for a battery charger. Are the first 2 chargers on this page, what I'm looking for?

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/chargers.php

Does the 1st one do the same thing as a Battery Tender Jr? Any reason why I shouldn't just get the cheaper Battery Tender Jr?
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery

Kawasaki recommends using a 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger. Battery Tender Jr. output is .750 amps. Schumacher makes a perfect charger designed for small batteries such as used on motorcycles. It can be purchased at Walmart for about $21.00

The Schumacher Model XM1-5 maintains both 6 and 12-volt batteries, keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring. The XM1-5 is perfect for charging small and large batteries found on motorcycles, classic cars, RVs, boats and more. Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer, 1.5-Amp:

1.5 amp charger and maintainer
Fully automatic
Microprocessor controlled
Automatic voltage detection
Automatic temperature compensation
Thermal runaway protection
Safety start feature
LEDs indicate charging, charged and power
Quick disconnect harness
Reverse hookup protection

This model comes with set of quick disconnect battery clamps, a quick disconnect cable with terminals to mount directly to the battery and the charger. Installation is quick and easy.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
TheTraveler
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies. I'll be getting the Schumacher Model XM1-5.

Old May 7th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll be getting the Schumacher Model XM1-5.
I just did the same but it was too late to save my old battery. That YUASA was a TANK! It took EXTREME neglect and plenty of time to ruin it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if 1.5A is too much for the initial charge of a new battery but I need a good tender regardless so that I don't ruin this battery too.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I really like the Deka AGM batteries sold by Advance Auto. They're pretty cheap and readily available. Mine's been going for nearly four years now in the Vulcan and Ninja, including sitting in the dead bike for a while, then on the cold garage floor for a whole winter.

The ETX9 is the cross-reference for the YTX9. They're usually around $80, and AA almost always has coupon codes for $25-$30 off. I'm happy with $50-$60 and available immediately.

You can also get the Shumacher battery tender at TSC for ~$25. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...intainer-6-12v It has an SAE plug on the end of the charger cable. It includes an SAE plug to mount permanently to your bike's battery, plus a set of clamps with an SAE plug (for easily hooking it up to any other battery).
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #8
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Go with the Shumacher. Best $15 I ever spent. The quick disconnect cable is plenty long enough to run from battery to under the rear set with enough room to connect. Easy to keep on tender.