ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 2010 yamaha fz6r raven

back tire slipping/clutch slipping???? help?

I am not sure what has cause this but i thought it was weird the last two days i have ridden my bike. this problem i noticed after i changed my oil and performed the 600 mile service. my bike has 755 miles on it (btw it is an 09). i used shell rotella 5-40 synthetic for my new oil. will the synthetic oil cause my transmission to slip?

here is the first instance of problem i noticed two days ago. i was sitting in a stop light waiting for it to turn green so i can make a left turn. i had the bike in neutral, so when the light turn green i popped it into first, then into second before entering the turn, when i was turning i got the feeling that the bike was going wide and it wasn't getting enough power. i just gave it a little throttle and rode it into the next parking lot right after the turn and parked it. i sat there thinking what could have caused this. then i went on my merry way and everything seemed fine.

the second instance was probably which happened an hour ago coming home from work. i was making a left turn, before i was in the turn i downshifted to 2nd gear and probably going between 10 to 15 mph. when i got into the turn the back end felt so light and it wanted to turn even more to the right, well i was thinking the tires are cold. i kept goin then i came to a stop in which i did a california stop (i was in a mall parking lot) and i had to make a slight right into a drive way into a bank (i was making a bank drop), i was probably just goin around 5 mph or less making that slight right and it felt the same thing, the rear end of the bike felt light and it wanted to pull to the left. to add to this i have a bag attached to the back seat with a 15 pound chain inside it. after i made my stop into the bank i went home and everything was fine.

i have been taking this route home everyday on the bike for 3 straight weeks and this has been the first time that i had this problem with the rear end feeling light and wanting to slip.

my apologies for the long read and thanks in advance for any input/help.
richierich781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Did you adjust the chain slack at all? You might not have the wheel centered. As for the oil, I wouldn't have suggested switching to synthetic yet, but it'll only cause the clutches to slip if it's an "Energy Conserving Oil" which the Rotella is not. The standard oils are meant to make things as SLIPPERY as possible, including clutch plates

Did you also make sure that the oil is centered in the sight glass? If you have too much air in your tires it could cause them to slip as well if you were doing a tight turn.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
kkim

yes, what's your tire pressures?

Last futzed with by kkim; June 17th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

i made sure the oil was centered in the sight glass. the tire pressure is 28 in the front and 32 in the rear (i just checked it now). i did adust the chain slack and the wheel is centered (it is evenly aligned on each side using the swing arm indicator notches.

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #5
i916it
ninjette.org member

Name: Sky

Motorcycle(s): 250R 08

Hmm... I seem to be having the same problem.
To me, it always feel like the back end wants to just swing out more.
i916it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #6
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i916it View Post
Hmm... I seem to be having the same problem.
To me, it always feel like the back end wants to just swing out more.
yes sir! thats the way it felt to me.

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #7
VeX
That's me!

That could be part of the problem. The notches on the swingarm are the devil. They're HORRIBLY inaccurate. It's been discussed numerous times and I know Alex for one has a picture of a cheap measurement tool for setting your rear wheel alignment.

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #8
i916it
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
That could be part of the problem. The notches on the swingarm are the devil. They're HORRIBLY inaccurate. It's been discussed numerous times and I know Alex for one has a picture of a cheap measurement tool for setting your rear wheel alignment.
Help me MASTER!

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #9
VeX
That's me!

LOL they literally talked about this the other day in this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21425

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Here's the thread you're looking for. Read all of it to get an understanding of why the marks are off, as well as a dead-simple way to align your rear wheel not worrying about the marks.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #11
i916it
ninjette.org member

Thanks, this could be the solution I've been looking for.
Cause ever since I changed the tightening, the bike felt different but I thought that was just cause I changed it.

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by i916it View Post
Thanks, this could be the solution I've been looking for.
Cause ever since I changed the tightening, the bike felt different but I thought that was just cause I changed it.
it is.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #13
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Looks like everything has been covered here!

Old June 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #14
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

thanks everyone for your input and help, got the problems fixed, i guess it was just a little out of alignment. during my first road test i felt the back being a little light again and wanting to swing out, this was with the tires cold, but when they warmed up it felt pretty normal when i took sharp turns, i guess its the tires, im still running on the stock irc tires in which through research in this forum a lot of peeps dont like them.

Old June 19th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #15
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich781 View Post
thanks everyone for your input and help, got the problems fixed, i guess it was just a little out of alignment. during my first road test i felt the back being a little light again and wanting to swing out, this was with the tires cold, but when they warmed up it felt pretty normal when i took sharp turns, i guess its the tires, im still running on the stock irc tires in which through research in this forum a lot of peeps dont like them.
I'm glad you got it figured out and that everything is for you. Seems like everyone is hitting the "Chain slack adjustment" all at the same time this year, LOL.

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #16
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

How often does one tend to have to adjust the chain, by the way?

I've had it adjusted at the 1000 km service by my dealer. I've now got 2800 km on my Ninja, and haven't done any adjusting yet. I checked the chain last weekend, and it seemed to be alright.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #17
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodE-E View Post
How often does one tend to have to adjust the chain, by the way?

I've had it adjusted at the 1000 km service by my dealer. I've now got 2800 km on my Ninja, and haven't done any adjusting yet. I checked the chain last weekend, and it seemed to be alright.
Check as per the manual, or more often, if you like. OK is OK. Some like to be on the tight side, some on the looser side, but within tolerance is within tolerance.

As long as you're checking it and can/will adjust it when necessary, you're fine.

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #18
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i adjusted mine at 700 miles and at 3700 it hasnt stretched much (a benefit of lower torque/hp)! glad you got the problem "straightened out". the stock irc go straight just fine, keep pressures correct and they will work fine for most road riding.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote