ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 12th, 2023, 01:02 AM   #1
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

replacement of fork seals and front fork bearing.

Hi

Today, 12th of June I have received quotes from 2 companies (in, or near Trondheim, Norway) regarding the replacement of fork seals and the main bearing for the front fork.
The 1st company estimated a price of about 930 USD / 10000 NOK.
The 2nd company suggested 8031 NOK / 747 USD, including 5 work hours.

Does anyone else have any examples of what the costs would be around where you live, and/or any viewpoint regarding the realism wrt the number of work hours mentioned?

Update: The first mentioned company now says that 6 hours of work is expected from their side..

Thanks and Best regards..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2023, 05:14 AM   #2
Section59
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): ZX10R 2022 & EX250R 2009

5 to 6 hours work sounds right to me.
what's there hourly rate and how much are they charging for parts?
Section59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2023, 06:40 AM   #3
Norway
ninjette.org member

Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section59 View Post
5 to 6 hours work sounds right to me.
what's there hourly rate and how much are they charging for parts?
Thanks for your viewpoint!
The company suggesting 6 hours charges close to 1400 NOKs per hour, and a total of 10000 NOK. That means between 1500 and 2000 NOK, or about 130 - 180 USD, roughly, for the parts.

Old June 24th, 2023, 07:15 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I am about to put in new front fork seals in my 2012 250R
the seals cost about $30.00 off Amazon and if the weather ever turns to sunshine again I will simply pull off the fairings so I can put a jack under the engine and lift up the front wheel... and then start removing the forks
...getting down to the bike is the hardest part for me for some reason i don't know why.... but the front forks have been leaking sense I got the bike and they need to be fixed. so this summer looks like a good time to do it.
it shouldn't be a big job at all once I can get to the forks but it may take a day for me just to get to the silly forks ! HAHAHA
i expect it will take me 3 days to complete it simply because I will not rush myself...i'm retired and I don't have to work hard anymore so I won't !
the manual does explain how to put the seals in and if there are special tools to do it I am sure I can rig something up that will work.
....never done forks on a 250R Ninja before so this may well be a learning experience for this old man !

Bob........

Old June 24th, 2023, 07:55 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
They're not hard to do. I changed mine when I got the bike, but it's been too long for me to offer specific advice.

https://ninja250.info/wiki/How_do_I_..._fork_seals%3F
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2023, 06:19 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Eh??? I did forks on my CBR600RR recently:

1. installed 0,85kg/mm springs, slightly lighter than stock
2. new oil and dust seals

Took all of 45-minutes. About 30-min to get bodywork off and back on. I did use power-tools to unzip allen-head bolt at bottom of forks initially. Saves tonne of time compared to doing it later with no spring-tension on bolt. I recall similar process for 250 forks when I did them couple years ago just before selling bike.

But 5-6 hours? Nah, they're scamming you! For 1st-time non-mechanic doing this, following step-by-step in manual, 2-hours max!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2023, 02:04 AM   #7
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
I am about to put in new front fork seals in my 2012 250R
the seals cost about $30.00 off Amazon and if the weather ever turns to sunshine again I will simply pull off the fairings so I can put a jack under the engine and lift up the front wheel... and then start removing the forks
...getting down to the bike is the hardest part for me for some reason i don't know why.... but the front forks have been leaking sense I got the bike and they need to be fixed. so this summer looks like a good time to do it.
it shouldn't be a big job at all once I can get to the forks but it may take a day for me just to get to the silly forks ! HAHAHA
i expect it will take me 3 days to complete it simply because I will not rush myself...i'm retired and I don't have to work hard anymore so I won't !
the manual does explain how to put the seals in and if there are special tools to do it I am sure I can rig something up that will work.
....never done forks on a 250R Ninja before so this may well be a learning experience for this old man !

Bob........
You are braver than myself, planning to do the job yourself..
Would be interesting to hear about your experiences later, if you find the time. Good luck!

Old July 4th, 2023, 02:05 AM   #8
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
They're not hard to do. I changed mine when I got the bike, but it's been too long for me to offer specific advice.

https://ninja250.info/wiki/How_do_I_..._fork_seals%3F
Thanks for the pointer!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2023, 02:12 AM   #9
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Eh??? I did forks on my CBR600RR recently:

1. installed 0,85kg/mm springs, slightly lighter than stock
2. new oil and dust seals

Took all of 45-minutes. About 30-min to get bodywork off and back on. I did use power-tools to unzip allen-head bolt at bottom of forks initially. Saves tonne of time compared to doing it later with no spring-tension on bolt. I recall similar process for 250 forks when I did them couple years ago just before selling bike.

But 5-6 hours? Nah, they're scamming you! For 1st-time non-mechanic doing this, following step-by-step in manual, 2-hours max!

Interesting! Thanks for the info.
What happened this far is that I used the "classic" Seal Mate" tool on both fork legs, after having revceived some new ones in my mail.
I have been driving the Ninja 250 more than 100 kilometers since, and both fork legs seem to stay dry from oil. :-)
Few, if any products, have saved me as much money during my more than 40 years on and off 2 wheels, than this product: https://sealmate.net/products/seal-mate
It has cured the leaks on one of the Ninja 250 fork legs 3 times, and the other one once. (Happened at mileages between 30 and 40 000 kms, and recently, when approaching 67 000 kms / 42 k miles).

Last futzed with by Norway; July 4th, 2023 at 02:37 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2023, 08:20 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

So far it hasn't been too bad....
I got them both apart tore apart and put back together...
special notes.... you must remove the wire c clip that holds the main seal on before you can get the fork tubes separated.
that clip is under the dust cover/wiper and you get it off by using a small screwdriver and working around the wiper seal many times to work it off the lower tube once it's free you can see the wire clip on the lower tube on top the seal.... take that out before you try to separate the 2 tubes....
i got in a hurry and forgot that on one tube and when I realized the fact I felt like a real dunce.... I pounded on the fork for hours it seamed like... but took out the clip and a good 20 whacks later and the tube's separated ....
and yes they need separated and cleaned up there was all kinds of gunk inside
they need cleaned inside and out.... I lubed up the new seals and wipers with grease...put them on the way the old ones came off and just re assembled them....
I did have trouble with the last fork in assembly ...I finally figured out that the damper tube that the screw on the bottom holds in needs to be assembled in the tube (inside the upper tube, not the lower tube) with it's spring and parts and threaded collar cap that the bolt screws into everything but the bolt goes into the tube.... assembled and sticking out the bottom of the top fork tube with the cap/collar on the tip you then slide the whole fork tube inside the lower tube... then try to get the bolt lined up and threaded in.... this took a few trys but it finally threaded in
and tightened down easy...
I used a 2" x 24" long piece of PVC water pipe to drive the new fork seals down home and then put the clips back in....then the dust covers on top of them....
...the book calls for 8W fork oil ...you can't find that easily ...i am going with 10W
and am sure there will be no problems ! ( got it off Amazon)Umm... no I didn't, life happened and I didn't get fork oil so I used automatic transmition fluid..... dumb move PROBABLY...but I wanted to get it back together !
got it all back together and it does indeed rebound quickly so I don't know I may be changing the oil soon !
Bob.......

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; July 9th, 2023 at 09:05 PM.
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote