ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2023, 06:44 PM   #1
kaezone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Ticking noise coming off throttle in neutral, goes away as bike warms up

Hi all,
Apologies if this is a common question or just nothing to be worried about, but I'm getting a strange ticking noise when coming off throttle in neutral or clutched-in.

It's very audible at idle when I first start the bike, particularly in cold weather, but it goes away after a few kilometers. I haven't noticed any performance issues, or issues while starting - it starts up fine on about half choke, then idles smoothly with no choke after about a minute. The bike almost certainly needs a valve clearance inspection and a carb sync, but I'm waiting on parts for a service so I figured I'd ask in the meantime.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about, although it's only just audible at the very start: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jDtHroWy2gw
This was after riding for a few kilometers, and it went away entirely after filming. There's a slight tick or flutter as it drops to about 1700RPM, then goes away at idle.

Given that it sounds somewhat fluttery, my best guess is the cam chain making noise, although I'm not sure why it would only make noise at a specific low RPM range, and only when the engine is cold. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
kaezone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2023, 08:27 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I think you're right about it being the cam chain, and it's so minor that if mine did that (maybe it does) I don't think I'd think twice about it.

Valves get looser as the engine warms up, so if it goes away when warm I would not suspect it's valve noise.

Welcome to the board, Kay!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2023, 09:49 AM   #3
kaezone
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I think you're right about it being the cam chain, and it's so minor that if mine did that (maybe it does) I don't think I'd think twice about it.

Valves get looser as the engine warms up, so if it goes away when warm I would not suspect it's valve noise.

Welcome to the board, Kay!
Yeah, I was initially worried about it since it's my first bike (excluding my old 50cc scooter :P), but after reading up on the valvetrain and similar threads it doesn't seem like too much of an issue. I'll check over and reset the CCT when I get to working on the bike, hopefully that'll have some answers
kaezone is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.