Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

learning to ride

So what is the best way to learn to ride? I am building up my confidence to get out of my drive way. What do you recomend? I learned to let the clutch out slow to the friction zone so I feel the bike moving. should I wait until my MSF class or should I go with a friend this weekend to the parking lot?
beqwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
kkim

When is your MSF course?

Practicing in a (big, open) parking lot is a good idea. Just be sure to fully gear up cause many drops occur when people are learning to ride.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #3
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

MSF is on the 11th of May. I have gear too.

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
kkim

If you can get to the parking lot safely, I think that would be a good idea to get you familiar with riding. The main thing is to get comfortable with the functions of the controls so it becomes second nature after awhile. Once you can control the bike, the real riding begins.

Have fun, ride safe

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #5
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

So its normal to feel a bit nervous. Friend is going to ride it there.

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #6
kkim

very normal. just take your time and practice one skill at a time. repetition and practice makes each seem second nature after awhile and that nervousness will disappear.

the idea is to get familiar with your bike and not feel totally foreign when you jump on the bike at the MSF course.

make sure your bike is setup properly before heading out. check tire pressure, adjust controls for comfort, etc.

have you spent the time to read through the owners manual? it contains a wealth of basic information for someone new to riding/motorcycle ownership.

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #7
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by beqwarrior View Post
MSF is on the 11th of May. I have gear too.
I'd wait till your MSF class and use their bike to learn on. Why drop your own bike trying to teach yourself. However, now would be a great time to sit on your bike and really learn where the controls are without looking at them. Making motor noises is optional

Just my 2 cents.

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #8
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by beqwarrior View Post
So its normal to feel a bit nervous. Friend is going to ride it there.
Normal? I've been riding for 2 years and every time I hop on it I feel nervous... with a combination of excitement and enjoyment of course. If all you plan on doing at the parking lot is clutch control and large radius turns, I doubt you'll drop it. It's the small slow maneuvers that get most of the new riders.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #9
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

Good advice here. Personally, I think the way my MSF started off was smart. They started you walking beside the bike (bike not started), then sitting on the bike and walking it (still not started), then starting it and learning to find the friction zone with the clutch lever.

Seems like a boring and slow way to get started, but it gives you a feel for the weight and size of the bike. And in reality, it only takes a bit of time. Just seems like forever when you're itching to ride for real

If you're headed out to a parking lot before the class and you've never ridden before, I think that's a smart way to start. Once you get acclimated to the clutch, start by riding around in big circles and just get comfortable with low speed starting / stopping / turning.

For me, once I learned how to deal with the stuff at slow speeds (stopping, starting, etc), everything above 1st gear was a piece of cake.

Edit: Didn't see that you already worked on the friction zone stuff. I'd give it a quick once over in the parking lot, then practice riding it up / down / around the parking lot at idle speeds and gradually build up a tiny bit of throttle each lap or pass.

Also, if you're riding a 250, let it warm up first. At least on mine, it isn't very well mannered at low speeds when it's cold.

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Having just completed my MSF this week with my wife they do a great job in the beginning of class helping new riders get used to the bike. My wife had never ridden a motorcycle before and she ended the class with one of the highest scores. But a open parking lot isnt bad either to get a bit of practice in before hand. good luck and have fun in class!!!
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #11
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I'd wait till your MSF class and use their bike to learn on. Why drop your own bike trying to teach yourself. However, now would be a great time to sit on your bike and really learn where the controls are without looking at them. Making motor noises is optional

Just my 2 cents.
+1 patience is a virtue. good things happens to those who wait.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #12
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

Here is an update. I took her out today I rode her all around the neighborhood up n down the street. I am actually feeling confident on this bike. Here is a noob question. Since I am only going around 40MPH max do I still need to shift all the way up to 6th gear or can I just cruise in 3rd or 4th? Oh a bonus down shift question when I am coming to a stop and I am down shift do I go all the way to one or can I stop in say 2nd Then start back out in 1st? THis is long winded...... Thanks

Old May 7th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
First, don't let the initial confidence boast go to your head. Riding is not hard, having good skill is learned with practice and time.

Don't sweat the shifting and gearing to much either, these bikes love revs, but as long as your upshifing/downshifting smoothly and you don't feel the bike jerking around your doing fine. (I am assuming your not redlining.)

Now as far as stopping technique's, I would rather a more experienced member offer their suggestions ahead of mine.

Be safe and good luck
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #14
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

Thanks. I really do feel much progress from today.

Old May 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #15
kkim

ride in whatever gear you feel the most confident in being able to control the bike right now. if that means 3 or 4 around the neighborhood, fine.

yes, coming down to a stop in 2nd is okay... I just pull in the clutch, apply the brakes and coast to a stop as the speeds decline. I only shift back into first when at a stop and watch the neutral light flash to confirm I'm passing between 2nd and first to be sure I'm really putting it into first and won't be trying to start off in a higher gear. yes, it's happened.

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #16
xlatinox
ninjette.org member

Name: Edison

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

NVM thread is already a month old.

Last futzed with by xlatinox; June 7th, 2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Woops
xlatinox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Yasko
Texas Newbie