Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2016, 07:05 PM   #81
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
What kind of plane do you fly that requires 3,000 feet of runway for stopping?
EMB-175. Aviation practices would be a huge boon to driving safety. all those recent crashes involving the Teslas wouldn't have happened.

We have anti-skid, auto-brakes, three-axis auto-pilot, auto-thrust, and we don't trust any of it. We're always monitoring what it's doing . We've got sensors everywhere, bells, whistles, and chimes, yet someone still goes outside and walks all the way around it inspecting it for problems before every flight, even when it's -20 degrees in blowing snow. Our engines have failure rates measured in millions of hours, but we still review failure procedures before every takeoff.

My point is, use the automation you have, it'll get you out of tight spots, it'll save your ass on occasion, but don't intentionally put yourself in a place where it's the only thing that will save you, because someday it's going to fail you.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old August 31st, 2016, 07:08 PM   #82
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
My point is, use the automation you have, it'll get you out of tight spots, it'll save your ass on occasion, but don't intentionally put yourself in a place where it's the only thing that will save you, because someday it's going to fail you.
That's my mentality. I'm happy to have ABS on the cars (and I'll get it on any bikes that I can) and I hope to drive so that I never engage it. It's a fallback if I mess up. I won't use it as a main strategy.

Old August 31st, 2016, 07:24 PM   #83
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
EMB-175. Aviation practices would be a huge boon to driving safety. all those recent crashes involving the Teslas wouldn't have happened.

We have anti-skid, auto-brakes, three-axis auto-pilot, auto-thrust, and we don't trust any of it. We're always monitoring what it's doing . We've got sensors everywhere, bells, whistles, and chimes, yet someone still goes outside and walks all the way around it inspecting it for problems before every flight, even when it's -20 degrees in blowing snow. Our engines have failure rates measured in millions of hours, but we still review failure procedures before every takeoff.

No **** Sherlock you repeated the point I made in my last post I understand its limitations. It's not as good at breaking as I am but it sure does ease the workload as you I'm sure know

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99

Old August 31st, 2016, 08:07 PM   #84
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:

That's a nice ride you're flying there, modern but not too big.

Yeah, on the licensing requirements, in the states we have a simple driving test around a neighborhood with maybe 15 items on a checklist, a simple written test that's frequently less than a hundred multiple-choice question, then boom, you're on the road with no restrictions. No graduated licensing, no real road tests that measure ability to deal with skids, etc, nothing much else. Commercial licenses are a whole different matter, but just about any person with one eye to drive with and one finger to punch buttons on a multiple-choice testing machine can get a license after a few hours of study.

People who tailgate rely on perfect brakes, perfect road conditions, their own "superior" reflexes, and frankly luck to avoid collisions. maybe that's why there are a couple million rear-end collisions a year here. If driver's licenses were treated like all the other licenses like yours, truckers, doctors, etc, maybe it would be a different story. Maybe nearly 40 thousand mothers, fathers, sons, daughters will still be alive this time next year.

Back to the plane, that yellow and black handle isn't a parking brake, is it?

Old August 31st, 2016, 09:42 PM   #85
Chocula
ninjette.org member

Name: Chocula

Motorcycle(s): Lots

Unhappy

Wow! As arguably some of the most vulnerable users of the road, I am flabbergasted at the comments in this tread boasting of intimidating and assaulting other drivers (forcing someone off the road) with their vehicles.

For some people, there are only 2 types of other drivers, the idiots going slower than them, and the maniacs going faster. Using your vehicle in an attempt to alter other drivers behavior is not only dangerous to them, you, and anyone unlucky to be near you, but also futile. The only thing you can reliably do is increase their aggression.

Do you really not see the hypocrisy of enforcing your ideals (with a several ton weapon) upon others claiming it is the other persons fault because they were preventing you from speeding?

While annoying, not letting someone pass does not cause a dangerous situation. Choosing to force your way past or tailgating does create a dangerous situation, especially when there is a significant difference in vehicle size, and is therefor an unreasonable (even if common) response.

I hope that you can relax and safely avoid those who choose not to operate their vehicles in a safe and prudent manner. For those who choose to endanger others, I hope you lose your license before you injure or kill someone.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:13 AM   #86
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post

For some people, there are only 2 types of other drivers, the idiots going slower than them, and the maniacs going faster. ......
That is pretty universal for everyone. If someone is slower they are and idiot and if they are faster they are a maniac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
:

Do you really not see the hypocrisy of enforcing your ideals (with a several ton weapon) upon others claiming it is the other persons fault because they were preventing you from speeding?
I have repeatedly said that I tailgate when people are doing less than the speed limit in the left lane.

People driving slower in the left lane are quite often doing it on purpose to force their will and view of speed laws on others. They are just as aggressive as the "Aggressive" drivers, but just doing it in a passive way.

My point has been that they are contributing to any accident just as much as a tailgater is.

It takes two to tango and those blocking the left lane are just as much at fault and more should be done to enforce the law against them.

The article at the beginning of this thread states that there are less traffic accidents and fatalities on the German Autobahn (with no speed limits) because people there understand that the left lane is for passing only and they stay out of the left lane. If they don't they can get a ticket. (or a BMW flashing it's lights up your ass)

If everyone drove properly and courteously there would be a lot less road rage and accidents.

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:35 AM   #87
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old September 1st, 2016, 08:26 AM   #88
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Back to the plane, that yellow and black handle isn't a parking brake, is it?
That is the parking brake. Best airplane parking brake I've used, previously they've either been very stiff, had to smash the regular brakes to set it, lost pressure after shutting down, or all of the above. This one is light, don't need apply brakes first, and doesn't lose pressure, just like a parking brake should be. Sometimes I wonder why it's so hard for airplane manufacturers to do what cars have had for years.

Somebody is missing my point. When you set eyesight to 1 second and let it get that close, you're relying on it to save you. If it fails, you won't be able to stop before you hit. If you're not actually letting it get that close, then no problem, but that's not what it sounded like.

Old September 1st, 2016, 08:33 AM   #89
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
That is the parking brake. Best airplane parking brake I've used, previously they've either been very stiff, had to smash the regular brakes to set it, lost pressure after shutting down, or all of the above. This one is light, don't need apply brakes first, and doesn't lose pressure, just like a parking brake should be. Sometimes I wonder why it's so hard for airplane manufacturers to do what cars have had for years.

Somebody is missing my point. When you set eyesight to 1 second and let it get that close, you're relying on it to save you. If it fails, you won't be able to stop before you hit. If you're not actually letting it get that close, then no problem, but that's not what it sounded like.
wrong

see post #69

Old September 1st, 2016, 09:59 AM   #90
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
@FrugalNinja250 88 feet at 65 mph

Easy and not superhuman if you can see well ahead of the vehicle just in front of you.
If you can not see well ahead, you compensate with more space.
Simple.
Ah, you're assuming they're going to slam on their brakes only if the person in front of them does. What if a dog runs in front of them? What if they spill food/drink in their lap? What if they have a seizure? What if they realize they're almost past their exit? What if they just don't like you being so close and have a road rage moment? Yeah, most of those "what ifs" are a case of stupidity, how many stupid drivers do you see everyday?

Depending on anything other than your own reaction time to save you is increasing the risk beyond what is necessary. In this case, you're depending on being able to see and react to something that causes them to slam on the brakes, which is not always going to be the case.

It's too bad there aren't simulators for driving, it would illustrate how fast things can happen. I intentionally caused a prop overspeed in a Brasilia simulator once at cruise speed. What's the worst that could happen? We can handle (barely) prop overspeeds on takeoff. Well, it flipped upside down literally in the blink of an eye and headed for the dirt. Didn't matter how fast I was, or thought I was, it happened faster.

Old September 1st, 2016, 10:26 AM   #91
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Ah, you're assuming they're going to slam on their brakes only if the person in front of them does. What if a dog runs in front of them? What if they spill food/drink in their lap? What if they have a seizure? What if they realize they're almost past their exit? What if they just don't like you being so close and have a road rage moment? Yeah, most of those "what ifs" are a case of stupidity, how many stupid drivers do you see everyday?

Depending on anything other than your own reaction time to save you is increasing the risk beyond what is necessary. In this case, you're depending on being able to see and react to something that causes them to slam on the brakes, which is not always going to be the case.

It's too bad there aren't simulators for driving, it would illustrate how fast things can happen. I intentionally caused a prop overspeed in a Brasilia simulator once at cruise speed. What's the worst that could happen? We can handle (barely) prop overspeeds on takeoff. Well, it flipped upside down literally in the blink of an eye and headed for the dirt. Didn't matter how fast I was, or thought I was, it happened faster.
I am confused how I have seen ALL of this and never have close calls in well over a million miles commuting in heavy LA and then Baltimore traffic daily. I know I am not any quicker then the next guy, well 90% for my age but that just makes me average for a 30 year old. I do not believe luck has anything to do with it One second is plenty for the average person who pays attention and it is not tailgating. You know this and I do not understand why you are playing this dummy down game. My guess is you are hypocritical and do it. FrugalNinja250's busted up ass is a true believer and I do not know what he is doing to be crashing so often but I do know I do not want to follow his example.

Old September 1st, 2016, 12:05 PM   #92
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
I am confused how I have seen ALL of this and never have close calls in well over a million miles commuting in heavy LA and then Baltimore traffic daily.
You must be in your 70's or 80's to have that many commuting miles under your belt. If you were in the 8% of drivers whose commute was 35 miles or more one-way (70 miles a day just commuting) you will have had to drive 14,285 days on average at that mileage to hit a million miles, much less "well over" that. If you worked five days a week, never missed a day for illness, vacation, etc, that's 2,857 weeks of commuting to work, day in and day out. That's 54.9 years of commuting. Assuming you started at age 15 with a hardship license and a full-time job requiring a 70 mile commute that would put you at age 69 or 70 now.

Maybe you commuted twice that distance, or 140 miles a day in LA or Baltimore traffic (snork!), that's 27.5 years of non-stop commuting. In LA the average commuting speed appears to be around 17-18 mph, so if half those miles were in LA it would take 27,777 hours to commute them. That's well over 3 years doing nothing but sitting behind the wheel.

Edit to add: I saw where you said you were 30. Assuming you started commuting when you were 16 that means you've averaged around 71,428 miles a year, or "well over" that, commuting. In LA and Baltimore. If you worked 365 days and commuted every single day, your average commute would have to had been 195 miles a day, excluding leap years, to hit a million miles. That's 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, not a missed day, for 14 years. That's amazing...

The average miles driven by a male in this country is 16,550 per year. To get a million miles at that rate would take around 60.4 years.

There are people who drive as many miles as you claim you have. They tend to be professional drivers such as long-haul truckers and couriers. Professional drivers don't, however, have a policy of tailgating because of the risks to their career and professional licensing. I highly doubt you are now, or ever have been, a professional driver.

No, your writing style and attitudes as you've indicated here on this forum make me think you're actually in your early to mid 20's. You just haven't driven enough to have real-world experience with crashes you cause by your behavior. It will catch up with you sooner or later, though, and the real shame will be that someone else will pay the price for your education on this.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...628-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...826-story.html

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Last futzed with by FrugalNinja250; September 1st, 2016 at 03:59 PM.

Old September 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM   #93
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
You are wrong on everything about me but my writing style, I blame my mom for that.

Old September 1st, 2016, 01:34 PM   #94
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:
You are wrong on everything about me but my writing style, I blame my mom for that.

he didnt know you were OTR trucker

. . .and carlin is the greatest comedian ever

Old September 1st, 2016, 01:48 PM   #95
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
You must be in your 70's or 80's to have that many commuting miles under your belt. If you were in the 8% of drivers whose commute was 35 miles or more one-way (70 miles a day just commuting) you will have had to drive 14,285 days on average at that mileage to hit a million miles, much less "well over" that. If you worked five days a week, never missed a day for illness, vacation, etc, that's 2,857 weeks of commuting to work, day in and day out. That's 54.9 years of commuting. Assuming you started at age 15 with a hardship license and a full-time job requiring a 70 mile commute that would put you at age 69 or 70 now.

Maybe you commuted twice that distance, or 140 miles a day in LA or Baltimore traffic (snork!), that's 27.5 years of non-stop commuting. In LA the average commuting speed appears to be around 17-18 mph, so if half those miles were in LA it would take 27,777 hours to commute them. That's well over 3 years doing nothing but sitting behind the wheel.

The average miles driven by a male in this country is 16,550 per year. To get a million miles would take around 60.4 years.

There are people who drive as many miles as you claim you have. They tend to be professional drivers such as long-haul truckers and couriers. Professional drivers don't, however, have a policy of tailgating because of the risks to their career and professional licensing. I highly doubt you are now, or ever have been, a professional driver.

No, your writing style and attitudes as you've indicated here on this forum make me think you're actually in your early to mid 20's. You just haven't driven enough to have real-world experience with crashes you cause by your behavior. It will catch up with you sooner or later, though, and the real shame will be that someone else will pay the price for your education on this.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...628-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...826-story.html

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

I giggled.

Old September 1st, 2016, 04:06 PM   #96
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
he didnt know you were OTR trucker

Quote:

So you're a long-haul trucker? You tailgate people in your tractor trailer rig? You'd have to be an independent because no corporate would allow you to get away with that kind of driving in a rig.

Quote:
. . .and carlin is the greatest comedian ever
That's the truth, amen on that. Sadly, it's "was" now instead of "is". We lost him at 71 back in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlin

Last futzed with by FrugalNinja250; September 1st, 2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Fix the quote order to make more clear

Old September 1st, 2016, 04:17 PM   #97
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So you're a long-haul trucker? You tailgate people in your tractor trailer rig? You'd have to be an independent because no corporate would allow you to get away with that kind of driving in a rig.

That's the truth, amen on that. Sadly, it's "was" now instead of "is". We lost him at 71 back in 2008.
i am not a trucker lol i work on trucks and will be getting a cdl soon, but will not tailgate, paid by the hour

i say "is" about carlin because until someone surpasses him to make him a "was", he still "is". get what i mean?

Old September 1st, 2016, 04:32 PM   #98
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
i am not a trucker lol i work on trucks and will be getting a cdl soon, but will not tailgate, paid by the hour
I fixed the quote order to make things more clear. Sorry 'bout that. Congrats on getting a CDL, they're tough to get and keep. OTR seems to be paying fairly well nowadays, it's come back a long way from $4 diesel and the Great Recession of 2008.

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:13 PM   #99
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

I must have missed where I said I'm the perfect driver and always minimize my risk, but since I am apparently a hypocrite, I must have said it, so I would be much obliged if you could point it out to me.

Since you can't benefit from any change, you must be the perfect driver, no? Must be nice.

Old September 1st, 2016, 07:55 PM   #100
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
I must have missed where I said I'm the perfect driver and always minimize my risk, but since I am apparently a hypocrite, I must have said it, so I would be much obliged if you could point it out to me.

Since you can't benefit from any change, you must be the perfect driver, no? Must be nice.
Don't let the youngsters get under your skin. They like pretending they're the alpha male with lots of bluster and bravado, but that's about all they've got.
Life is about minimizing low-value risks and maximizing the return from high-value risks. Wisdom is what separates the former and the latter. People engaging in low-value risks such as driving aggressively just don't know how pointless that is, how little, if anything, it accomplishes, and how much it costs. It's like spending a dollar to get back a dime.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:22 AM   #101
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Don't let the youngsters get under your skin. They like pretending they're the alpha male with lots of bluster and bravado, but that's about all they've got.
Life is about minimizing low-value risks and maximizing the return from high-value risks. Wisdom is what separates the former and the latter. People engaging in low-value risks such as driving aggressively just don't know how pointless that is, how little, if anything, it accomplishes, and how much it costs. It's like spending a dollar to get back a dime.
Anyone with a any stalking skill will know you live in a made up world. I am not a trucker but I was payed to drive from almost the day I got my drivers licence in 1978 (that is about 30,000/year) I stopped getting payed to drive in 1999 and now have a 120 mile daily commute. How do you think I got 95,000 miles on my 2014 car and 34,000 on my 2013 Ninja? I have owned 10 other cars all with 100.000 miles + and 2 of them with 200,000+

Truckers do get road-rage, just not in your fantasy world.

One second is not tailgating. Have I tailgated, yes after getting cut off I get mad. It is rare and I cool off quickly and regret it after. I am working on it so it never happens. Riding motorcycles has greatly improved me on that.

You on the other hand, you have learned no lessons and so will continue finding yourself in the hospital hating the people who crashed into you when you are such a safe driver?

Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:44 AM   #102
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Anyone with a any stalking skill will know you live in a made up world.

Quote:
I am not a trucker but I was payed to drive from almost the day I got my drivers licence in 1978
You said you were 30 in an earlier post. 1978 was 38 years ago. Not calling you a liar or anything, just wanted to point out that your math has some problems. If you really did get your license in 1978, and likely you would have been 18 to get a job as a professional driver back then, that'd make you around 56 now.

Quote:
(that is about 30,000/year) I stopped getting payed to drive in 1999 and now have a 120 mile daily commute. How do you think I got 95,000 miles on my 2014 car and 34,000 on my 2013 Ninja? I have owned 10 other cars all with 100.000 miles + and 2 of them with 200,000+
I don't know how many miles you've got on any cars because I've never seen you or any of your vehicles. I'll just accept that you've stated the above. FWIW, I put 82K miles on my '06 Ninja that I bought in '09. That's mainly commuting plus some multi-state road trips.

Quote:
Truckers do get road-rage, just not in your fantasy world.
I don't have a fantasy world as such. I do enjoy reading fantasy, but generally in that world there's generally more swords and magic and less trucking and traffic.

Quote:
One second is not tailgating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgating

Even more information, with math!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assure...Distance_Ahead

Which leads to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule "...has been shown to considerably reduce risk of collision, and also the severity of an accident, if an accident occurs. It also helps to avoid tailgating and road rage for all drivers."

I disagree with your personal opinion that 1 second is not tailgating. You can disagree with the math, but you certainly can't deny the math. Physics and biology doesn't care one whit about your opinion of your own abilities.

You fall into the first category of tailgaters, "Negligence":
Tailgating can occur because of a lack of perceived risk in so doing. Thus, it is done unconsciously or negligently, very often by people who consider themselves safe drivers and generally obey the other rules of the road. Evidence shows that more experienced drivers are more likely to be involved in rear-end collisions, possibly because they overestimate their skill and become complacent about allowing sufficient distance to avoid an accident.

VaFish falls into the second category, "Coercion":
In its most uncivic form, it can be a case of road rage and/or intimidation. An example would be where the tailgating driver (the driver in the following vehicle) threatens damage to the leading vehicle and its occupants by driving aggressively — perhaps also with use of headlights and horn — to bully the leading vehicle's driver to get out of the way.

Some thoughts about reactions and aging:
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...&ContentID=562

Quote:
You on the other hand, you have learned no lessons and so will continue finding yourself in the hospital hating the people who crashed into you when you are such a safe driver?
What lessons should I learn from being hit by a tailgater? Or from a person turning onto my side of the road and hitting me head-on while I was stopped at a stop sign? Or swerving across a shoulder into the entrance lane (and my mirror blind spot) and sideswiping me? Or deliberately swerving into me then filing a fraudulent claim against my insurance? (After viewing the video of that one my insurance company told them to go pound sand, lol.) I've never rear-ended anyone, though back in my younger days when I was like you I had plenty of close calls. The lesson I learned was not to tailgate. Maybe you'll learn that one before it's too late.

And I don't hate the people that crashed into me, thus rejecting your claim otherwise. They made mistakes, their insurance companies paid me handsomely for their driver's mistakes, and I would hope they learned a lesson and changed the way they drive. I would, though, gladly trade all that money for the ability to go to sleep and wake up without pain. But the life I have is the life I have, best to make the best I can of it rather than be bitter about what could have been but for the bad driving decisions of other drivers.

And I'll end with this one question: Would you promise to maintain a minimum 2 second following distance behind motorcyclists? I have asked nothing of you at all before, and I promise this is all I would ask of you now or in the future.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:01 AM   #103
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:

You said you were 30 in an earlier post. 1978 was 38 years ago. Not calling you a liar or anything, just wanted to point out that your math has some problems. If you really did get your license in 1978, and likely you would have been 18 to get a job as a professional driver back then, that'd make you around 56 now.

I don't know how many miles you've got on any cars because I've never seen you or any of your vehicles. I'll just accept that you've stated the above. FWIW, I put 82K miles on my '06 Ninja that I bought in '09. That's mainly commuting plus some multi-state road trips.

I don't have a fantasy world as such. I do enjoy reading fantasy, but generally in that world there's generally more swords and magic and less trucking and traffic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgating

Even more information, with math!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assure...Distance_Ahead

Which leads to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule "...has been shown to considerably reduce risk of collision, and also the severity of an accident, if an accident occurs. It also helps to avoid tailgating and road rage for all drivers."

I disagree with your personal opinion that 1 second is not tailgating. You can disagree with the math, but you certainly can't deny the math. Physics and biology doesn't care one whit about your opinion of your own abilities.

You fall into the first category of tailgaters, "Negligence":
Tailgating can occur because of a lack of perceived risk in so doing. Thus, it is done unconsciously or negligently, very often by people who consider themselves safe drivers and generally obey the other rules of the road. Evidence shows that more experienced drivers are more likely to be involved in rear-end collisions, possibly because they overestimate their skill and become complacent about allowing sufficient distance to avoid an accident.

VaFish falls into the second category, "Coercion":
In its most uncivic form, it can be a case of road rage and/or intimidation. An example would be where the tailgating driver (the driver in the following vehicle) threatens damage to the leading vehicle and its occupants by driving aggressively — perhaps also with use of headlights and horn — to bully the leading vehicle's driver to get out of the way.

Some thoughts about reactions and aging:
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyc...&ContentID=562

What lessons should I learn from being hit by a tailgater? Or from a person turning onto my side of the road and hitting me head-on while I was stopped at a stop sign? Or swerving across a shoulder into the entrance lane (and my mirror blind spot) and sideswiping me? Or deliberately swerving into me then filing a fraudulent claim against my insurance? (After viewing the video of that one my insurance company told them to go pound sand, lol.) I've never rear-ended anyone, though back in my younger days when I was like you I had plenty of close calls. The lesson I learned was not to tailgate. Maybe you'll learn that one before it's too late.

And I don't hate the people that crashed into me, thus rejecting your claim otherwise. They made mistakes, their insurance companies paid me handsomely for their driver's mistakes, and I would hope they learned a lesson and changed the way they drive. I would, though, gladly trade all that money for the ability to go to sleep and wake up without pain. But the life I have is the life I have, best to make the best I can of it rather than be bitter about what could have been but for the bad driving decisions of other drivers.

And I'll end with this one question: Would you promise to maintain a minimum 2 second following distance behind motorcyclists? I have asked nothing of you at all before, and I promise this is all I would ask of you now or in the future.
We are making progress, you accept "I am".
In a round about way, already posted we all have diminishing reactions as we age. I know I am slower. I do not believe in luck or karma or God for that matter, there are only probables. How do I keep the odds in my favor? How come you are on the opposite side? I drive my GF crazy because as she puts it I am "hyper aware of all the cars around me and what they are going to do" That is the opposite of complacent.
I am convinced under many condition in heavy traffic on freeways one second is safer then two. It pisses fewer people off and I get cut off less frequently. It is not ideal but I drive in the real world and not in utopia. When computers take over the roads your two seconds will be safer all the time.

Nepotism makes me a few months younger then Obama. When did I say I am 30? LOL you need to reread that post.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:59 AM   #104
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Good grief Al! Extrapolating from your posts, post count, frequency, pay as you drive plan, total mileage estimate, a 120 mile daily commute and only a one second space between you and the vehicle you're following; you gotta stop texting while driving!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM   #105
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Good grief Al! Extrapolating from your posts, post count, frequency, pay as you drive plan, total mileage estimate, a 120 mile daily commute and only a one second space between you and the vehicle you're following; you gotta stop texting while driving!
I never text and drive, it is to disruptive to watching netflix

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:08 AM   #106
Chocula
ninjette.org member

Name: Chocula

Motorcycle(s): Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
That is pretty universal for everyone. If someone is slower they are and idiot and if they are faster they are a maniac.
No, that is not universal. The vast majority go with the flow of traffic and have no issues. As humans we tend to only remember the few idiots and maniacs out of the hundreds of other drivers we encounter.
Quote:
I have repeatedly said that I choose to operate my vehicle with willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property tailgate when people are doing less than the speed limit in the left lane.
Fixed that for you.
Quote:
People driving slower in the left lane are quite often doing it on purpose to force their will and view of speed laws on others. They are just as aggressive as the "Aggressive" drivers, but just doing it in a passive way.

My point has been that they are contributing to any accident just as much as a tailgater is.
Their actions do not create the hazardous situation that yours do. I doubt the legal system will side with you on this either.
Quote:
It takes two to tango and those blocking the left lane are just as much at fault and more should be done to enforce the law against them.
What your mom was trying to tell you is that unless you choose to react negatively to the situation, there is no conflict; hence, it IS your fault!

P.S. I don't care if she did call you a poopy head, it is NOT OK to hit your sister. Ten out of 10 wife beaters agree, it is her fault for making them angry.
Quote:
The article at the beginning of this thread states that there are less traffic accidents and fatalities on the German Autobahn (with no speed limits) because people there understand that the left lane is for passing only and they stay out of the left lane. If they don't they can get a ticket. (or a BMW flashing it's lights up your ass)
The article is the opinion of Evans Brasfield and should be viewed as such. Some of the things Evans does not address include the laws and attitudes in Germany towards not paying attention to your driving. Older BMWs did not have drink holders largely because eating and drinking (even Pepsi) while driving is not an acceptable practice in Germany, and can result in a citation. Drink holders were introduced in BMWs because of demand in the U.S. market. Also, the U.S. has substantially lower standards for getting a license and our courts are reluctant to revoke ones ability to drive.
Quote:
If everyone drove properly and courteously there would be a lot less road rage and accidents.
On this, we agree.

Last futzed with by Chocula; September 2nd, 2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:34 AM   #107
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
I am convinced under many condition in heavy traffic on freeways one second is safer then two. It pisses fewer people off and I get cut off less frequently. It is not ideal but I drive in the real world and not in utopia. When computers take over the roads your two seconds will be safer all the time.
It's not my two seconds, it's established science after almost a century of people looking at the matter. Your opinion is wrong, and almost two million people a year will be hit by someone sharing your opinion.

Quote:

Nepotism makes me a few months younger then Obama. When did I say I am 30? LOL you need to reread that post.
I don't understand the "nepotism" comment, maybe you've been autocorrected? Here's your own words on your age:

Quote:
I know I am not any quicker then the next guy, well 90% for my age but that just makes me average for a 30 year old.

Quote:
...we all have diminishing reactions as we age. I know I am slower.
Quote:
...I am convinced under many condition in heavy traffic on freeways one second is safer then two.
Quote:
...I drive in the real world and not in utopia.
It's apparent that tailgating is a core value to you, more important than society, family, probably even God. It's the most important thing to you beyond pretty much anything, that's the strong impression I get.

FWIW, if and when autodriving cars become mainstream following distances will be dramatically reduced. Why? Because as was stated in one of the links I gave you (and is common sense) the 2 second following distance is a function of reaction time. It takes measurable time for a human to recognize there's a situation that requires applying the brakes, time to decide what to do, time to move your foot over to the brake pedal, time to apply the brakes, time for the pedal to actually start moving downward, time for the car to rotate forward around it's polar moment of inertia as the brakes take effect, before the car actually starts slowing down. Self-driving cars eliminate all those hundreds of milliseconds that your meat brain inserts into the equation. Another cool thing about grid-controlled cars is that there's no reason to have traffic lights or stop signs at intersections. You just space the cars out as needed to provide a gap for another car to turn through. This can be done at high speeds, too. It'd be like figure eight racing but without the crashes.

The facts are that the less time there is between you and the car you're following, the harder you have to apply the brakes to bring your deceleration rate up to match the car in front of you. That gives the person behind you less time to match your deceleration rate, etc. Even if you successfully avoid rear-ending someone you've just created a traffic snake and messed it up for everyone else.

Still hoping to hear you say you will give motorcyclists 2 seconds, though.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:45 PM   #108
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
It's not my two seconds, it's established science after almost a century of people looking at the matter. Your opinion is wrong, and almost two million people a year will be hit by someone sharing your opinion.
point missed but you have been missing the point this whole thread and I am done repeating myself sorry for you but happy for your doctor and lawyer.

Quote:
I don't understand the "nepotism" comment, maybe you've been autocorrected? Here's your own words on your age:
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
Figure it out, I am done explaining things to you.

Quote:
It's apparent that tailgating is a core value to you, more important than society, family, probably even God. It's the most important thing to you beyond pretty much anything, that's the strong impression I get.
WRONG point missed but you have been missing the point this whole thread and I am done repeating myself sorry for you but happy for your doctor and lawyer.
Quote:
FWIW, if and when autodriving cars become mainstream following distances will be dramatically reduced. Why? Because as was stated in one of the links I gave you (and is common sense) the 2 second following distance is a function of reaction time. It takes measurable time for a human to recognize there's a situation that requires applying the brakes, time to decide what to do, time to move your foot over to the brake pedal, time to apply the brakes, time for the pedal to actually start moving downward, time for the car to rotate forward around it's polar moment of inertia as the brakes take effect, before the car actually starts slowing down. Self-driving cars eliminate all those hundreds of milliseconds that your meat brain inserts into the equation. Another cool thing about grid-controlled cars is that there's no reason to have traffic lights or stop signs at intersections. You just space the cars out as needed to provide a gap for another car to turn through. This can be done at high speeds, too. It'd be like figure eight racing but without the crashes.
TLDNR

Quote:
The facts are that the less time there is between you and the car you're following, the harder you have to apply the brakes to bring your deceleration rate up to match the car in front of you. That gives the person behind you less time to match your deceleration rate, etc. Even if you successfully avoid rear-ending someone you've just created a traffic snake and messed it up for everyone else.
point missed but you have been missing the point this whole thread and I am done repeating myself sorry for you but happy for your doctor and lawyer.

Quote:
Still hoping to hear you say you will give motorcyclists 2 seconds, though.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 04:46 PM   #109
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:32 PM   #110
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/closed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Closed Thread