ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Where Did My Engine Oil Go?

Ok, so I did my first service at 1,100 km (600 miles or whatever).

I crashed it at around 1,300 but the dealership said it's fine. I just had to get the throttle cable fixed, shift lever and front left turn signal and they said it was mechanically fine.

Now I'm at 1,950 km. The bike actually feels different/weaker since I got it back.

But anyways, I noticed recently that my oil is.. kinda empty. I figured an Oil Change is necessary (but I'm only at 1,950 km). I was thinking of getting oil, filter, etc. and changing it but I figured why?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

Mine doesn't even have any oil. Should I just add some? Note: I've checked after riding it for 15 minutes.

Should I just be safe and change it or should I just add some? But I'm still stumped on where the oil went.

edit:

btw, I'm following this. http://www.kawiforums.com/oil-lubric...rocedures.html

Do I really need to get a new drain plug washer? I was thinking of just replacing the Oil, Filter and maybe gasket (i'l buy, but I won't replace unless it looks like I need to).

And another edit, is it safe to change to full-synthetic yet? I only changed my oil once at 1,100 and I broke it in hard, as in, I was going close to 7k rpms DURING break-in period.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

How are you measuring your oil level. "Kinda empty" is a little vague. Is the level between the min/max in the oil sight or do you not see any oil at all? Also, did you wait a few minutes after your ride for the oil to drip back down and are you measuring it while vertical on flat ground? I would imagine your oil light will come on if it's dangerously low.

An oil change definitely wouldn't hurt but I would figure out why it's low first (leak?).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
nebraskan
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

i'm sure someone will chime in that knows a lot more than me. but have you been running at a lot of constant, high rpm's? like highway riding? from what i understand that will burn oil quicker than normal and adding oil can do the trick.

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Francis

They said there's no leak.

And yea, I ride the bike and I let it sit before I check. And nope, the oil light doesn't come on.

When I check the oil, there's NONE. I barely see anything.

Anyways, it IS 1,950km. So I guess it wouldn't hurt, right? Can I go synthetic now?

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Synthetic should be fine after 1000 miles. I also don't always trust dealers because the oil must be going somewhere. If you lean the bike more right, do you see any oil?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Francis

I'll let you know.

In the mean time, I'm heading out to buy the stuff I need.

Oil, Oil Filter, Gasket/O-Ring. Wish me luck, bros.

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #7
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

When you do the oil change, empty it into something with measurements. Our bikes take approx 1.7quarts i think so depending on how much it's off, you'll know if you have an issue. It could be just as simple as being enough so the low oil indicator isnt tripped but low enough that it's just outside of the oil sight glass. Just a guess.

EDIT: Gasket/O-ring(rubber ring thingy) should be changed each time and usually comes with the filter depending on which brand you buy. I've been using K&N and they come with the 2 rubber gaskets (1-large, 1-small). As for the drain plug washer, I havent changed it out yet but as long as you torque it correctly and dont flip it, you shouldnt have problems with leaks. I think i'll change mine out after a couple more oil changes depending on how it looks.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #8
kkim

I find it interesting that he gets all of his info off other forums, then comes here to ask for help? wonder why that is?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Eyeball the bike real good for oil leaks. If none, do an oil change. Synthetic is fine (at any mileage). No you don't need a new sealing washer for the drain bolt. Yes, replace the filter. Make sure you fill it properly and take note on exactly where the oil lines up in the sight glass. Enjoy the motorcycle and check the oil level often. If the oil level drops enough that you can see it, take bike to bike mechanic.

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
When you do the oil change, empty it into something with measurements. Our bikes take approx 1.7quarts i think so depending on how much it's off, you'll know if you have an issue. It could be just as simple as being enough so the low oil indicator isnt tripped but low enough that it's just outside of the oil sight glass. Just a guess.

EDIT: Gasket/O-ring(rubber ring thingy) should be changed each time and usually comes with the filter depending on which brand you buy. I've been using K&N and they come with the 2 rubber gaskets (1-large, 1-small). As for the drain plug washer, I havent changed it out yet but as long as you torque it correctly and dont flip it, you shouldnt have problems with leaks. I think i'll change mine out after a couple more oil changes depending on how it looks.
I got the Kawasaki one. I was gonna get the K&N at another store, but out of stock so I just went to another dealer and told them to "get me an oil filter for the 250r" lol

Old May 1st, 2011, 04:58 AM   #11
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

You're not checking the oil with it resting on the kick stand are you?
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Wow!

Old May 1st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #13
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
You're not checking the oil with it resting on the kick stand are you?
+1

You'll find this in the Ninja250.org wiki you linked to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja250.org
This translates as: "Full" is the top line (near the top of the window) when the bike is held vertical and both wheels are on the ground. Keeping the oil at or close to the upper mark is desirable, but do not overfill it, as you could blow a gasket. Only add a small amount at a time.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote