ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
faran
ninjette.org member

Name: SS

Motorcycle(s): "None yet"

Question Is it a good price for 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250?

Hi Guys-

I am new on the forum and found a lot of useful information.

Wanted to ask few things about 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. It has nearly 4500 miles on it. Bike doesn't have Original gas tank, fairings and fender. It has kinda blister on the Gas tank, not at all a dent or anything. Can be easily covered with a sticker or something. Has rust(not too much) on both muffler pipes.

Brakes are in good condition, tires are good for next 1-1.5 years, has flush mounted turn signal on front as well as rear. All electrical does work and bike started on first start.

Deal can be done for $800. Do you guys think it's a good price or I should stay away from the bike?

Please feel free to give any feedback or advice. Thanks in advance for helping out
faran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I don't know the used market at all, but these are my thoughts:
It's probably a good price, but you'll put a little more into it. Based on the rust, and low mileage, I gather it's done a lot of sitting. I assume the carbs will be pretty nasty. If you can't get them clean, you can pick up a new set from ebay. Just make sure they say if they've been cleaned or not. Check the tires for cracking. You'll likely need a new battery (EDIT: I see you mentioned it actually does start, so it may be good). Check the condition of the chain. This gives you another clue how the bike was treated, and it may need replacement too. If you're planing on putting fairings on it, they can be costly, but I gather you might be making a street-fighter. How it runs might give you a clue about the carbs too.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
faran
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I don't know the used market at all, but these are my thoughts:
It's probably a good price, but you'll put a little more into it. Based on the rust, and low mileage, I gather it's done a lot of sitting. I assume the carbs will be pretty nasty. If you can't get them clean, you can pick up a new set from ebay. Just make sure they say if they've been cleaned or not. Check the tires for cracking. You'll likely need a new battery (EDIT: I see you mentioned it actually does start, so it may be good). Check the condition of the chain. This gives you another clue how the bike was treated, and it may need replacement too. If you're planing on putting fairings on it, they can be costly, but I gather you might be making a street-fighter. How it runs might give you a clue about the carbs too.
Thanks so much for your help and response. According to the seller they have cleaned the carb and changed oil 2 months ago.

Rear tire is in decent shape, front one has small cracks in it but hopefully be good for another 1000 or so miles. Chain seems to be in good condition, no rust or anything.

It already has fairings on it, but not the genuine ones, as I said it has aftermarket Gas tank and fairings. Do you think $800 is a good price or no for a bike like this?

Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:52 AM   #4
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by faran View Post
Thanks so much for your help and response. According to the seller they have cleaned the carb and changed oil 2 months ago.

Rear tire is in decent shape, front one has small cracks in it but hopefully be good for another 1000 or so miles. Chain seems to be in good condition, no rust or anything.

It already has fairings on it, but not the genuine ones, as I said it has aftermarket Gas tank and fairings. Do you think $800 is a good price or no for a bike like this?
Sounds good to me... I say get a couple more opinions for good measure, since I don't really know what I'm talking about

Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:39 AM   #5
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Have any pictures? Sounds like a decent deal but never hurts to negotiate.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
faran
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
Have any pictures? Sounds like a decent deal but never hurts to negotiate.
I started negotiating from actually $1200

I am definitely leaning towards buying it. What's the worst problem I can run into? Suppose, if bike has any major issue/problem and how expensive could it be?

Please feel free to give any opinions.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:

I am definitely leaning towards buying it. What's the worst problem I can run into? Suppose, if bike has any major issue/problem and how expensive could it be?

Please feel free to give any opinions.
Hidden frame damage

Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM   #8
faran
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
Hidden frame damage
Thanks for the tip.

That definitely can be a possibility. How can I check and avoid that?

Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM   #9
headshrink

Quote:
That's a good thing. I thought they were asking $800, and although I didn't articulate it at the time, the low price kind of worried me a little.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:04 PM   #10
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Clearly the bike has been laid down, so bad that the owner chose to replace all plastics and gas tank. But if the bike starts up and seems to be working fine, I'd offer like $500
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:16 AM   #11
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Good job negotiating the price down to $800. Like previously mentioned, check the frame for marks and take a good look at the forks and swingarm while you are at it. Mileage is good and you can't buy much for $800 so the bike should be worth the price.