ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #1
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

Name: jacob

Motorcycle(s): 1996 ninja 250

how to change brakes on 1996 ninja 250?

how do i change my breaks? and what brand do you guys reccomend?

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2
dlebe250
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 1994 250

I'm also in need of changing my brake pads and looking for the right pads. Over the research I have done pads are a preference. I'd say you would want Sintered pads (SS) in the front for sure. Brand types I know of are EBC and Galfer. Brake pads different because of the material they are made with. Organic pads, usually made with Kevlar, and the cheapest and provide a less aggressive braking. Then there are semi-metallic pads and sintered pads. the Semi-metallic is a step up from organic and is made with some metal compounds which add to stopping power. Sintered seems to be the best option for braking power but could be dangerous if on the rear because you could lock it up. I'm probably going with a Sintered pad (SS) on the front and an organic (GG) pad in the rear. Make sure you get the proper brake pad for your bike too.

In terms of how to change them. Youtube is a great place to start. It seems pretty easy. Take off the caliper, take out the pins holding the pads in place, take out pads, clean up caliper, put in new pads, put back locking pins, rebolt calipers to the spec torque, and then pump brakes to get a lever.

I'm not one to really explain since I have no experience but check out youtube videos, thats how I'm learning.
dlebe250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #3
dlebe250
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1994 250

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHtxB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbr7E...eature=related

Hopefully this gives you an idea.

Dan
dlebe250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
kkim

might I suggest you both get a factory service manual for your bikes? Brakes are not something you should be guessing with when working on them.

Youtube does not count (in my book) as a definative source, either.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

I did my front and rear a couple months ago. I'm not really mechanical but I read up on the procedure a lot (as much material as I could find) and it went OK. Nobody ever says this but DO NOT FORGET to LOCTITE YOUR BOLTS. Unfortunately I have some experience with that .
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlebe250 View Post
I'd say you would want Sintered pads (SS) in the front for sure.
I was going to really rake you over the coals on this one, but I'll be nice since it seems your heart is in the right place. SS = Stainless STeel, and in the braking world that refers to the type of brake lines. I think (and hope) you mean to say "HH" pads.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I use EBC HH pads in front and GG pads in back. Changing pads is really pretty straight forward. It shouldn't take you much longer than about a half hour without having done it before. Take off the caliper, squeeze it further open, and take off the old pads. If it's dirty, clean it all out, push the pistons back in a bit with your thumbs (or an old brake pad like the one you just took off), then pop in the new pads and reinstall the whole thing. Loctite is a good idea too

this site has a much more detailed description than i just gave you.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._brake_pads%3F
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote