ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Shawn
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Probably selling my ninja :(

So, i recently moved to Florida, brought my ninja with me and its been great, awesome weather and nice roads. Only problem is its my only means of transportation right now. I sold my car before I left with plans to buy one down here, but moneys running low and I don't have enough for a car and to make it legal. So the only conclusion I've come to is to sell my baby I've tried to get a job but its tough, I have a permanent injury that prevents me from sitting or standing for long periods of time, so that makes it even harder. By selling my bike I'd be able to get a car and have some money to start my own business. It's just gonna be tough without her

Not really sure what the point of this thread is, maybe to make myself feel better some how. I am defanitly buying another bike as soon as I can, I really want a gsxr telefonica so I'm going to work towards that, I will probably end up getting a new gen 250 for my girl down the road because she wants to ride with me.

Anyone else have to deal with a similar situation?
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

...similar but not so similar. This was before I got the bike, but directly related to my education. My fam used to be fairly financially stable (my dad had a business which spanned a few countries) so life was easy, I had a fairly expensive car, family was happy, we lived a pretty luxurious lifestyle...however the year I joined USF (two years ago) we found out that due to internal problems my dad's company went bankrupt, we lost everything, home, cars, and with the leftover money the choice was either spend it on my education or withdraw from USF, work with my dad to get his business back together and apply for uni again, and thats exactly what I did. I took a leave of absence for 8 months and in that time I personally went to dubai, and helped recover what we could of my dad's business. Now we are gradually climbing back up, after some time I rejoined uni and after some more time i bought my bike using some extra cash I got from helping out. I gradually got my life back together and focused on needs first, then went to wants such as the bike.

Old February 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Life hits you hard sometimes man and you do what you have to do. There will always be available bikes to come back to once you're ready to rejoin the fold.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Shawn
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. Yeah I know its just a bike, but 2 wheels have been my life since I was 9 and got my first dirt bike, I rode every second of my life that I could, I was never without a bike. Now not having anything its gonna be rough. Like when I got stressed I could go out and ride and all my problems seemed to melt away. But I've realized I have different priorities at this point in my life(I sound like an old person, I'm only 20 haha) and the bike is just not one of them right now. I'm just upset because I really don't want to sell it, we have a special bond lol, but as I said it'll able me to start my business and hopefully I can buy another soon

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
..............Only problem is its my only means of transportation right now. ............

Anyone else have to deal with a similar situation?
I have had the same "problem" for one year, and I can't be happier with it.

Unless your injury prevents you from riding, I see no problem.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I'd keep the bike if I were you. $1000 won't get you much as far as cars go, and you can't beat the gas mileage and low cost of ownership.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Unfortunately you moved the wrong state to be unemployed. Right now Florida is the #1 worst state for long term unemployment. Yah, it sucks having to sell your baby, but it sounds like you have a pretty sound plan going. So I say do what you have to do and get back on your feet for right now. If that means selling the fun transportation for a cheap ride and a chance at your own business, then that is what might be best in the long run. With the way our economy is going thanks to the private sector not wanting to create the jobs that we need, you might be better off with your own local business anyway.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Shawn
ninjette.org member

It really doesn't prevent me from riding, maybe if I'm riding for a couple hours. It's more so I'm stuck riding in the rain, cold(it does get somewhat cold here at night), I have no way of getting groceries besides what I can fit in a backpack, picking up supplies for the business or any other car parts is out of the question. A car would just be more practical at this point, the bike was just my toy.

I'm about positive its going up for sale in the next few weeks, I want to do some maintenance including the valves and a carb sync and the oil before I sell it, maybe put some more miles on her before she goes.

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Shawn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
I'd keep the bike if I were you. $1000 won't get you much as far as cars go, and you can't beat the gas mileage and low cost of ownership.
It's going up for $1800, great condition 9k miles new tires Kerker 2-1 exhaust gonna have all major maintenance done, runs great starts every time, I should be able to get close if not my asking price.

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You are giving it away.

Check the local Craiglist for reference.

Gas is not cheap down here (FL) and Ninjas in good condition aren't abundant.

What about leasing a car for the business instead.

$2k won't buy much car + gas in Florida.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Shawn
ninjette.org member

I was gonna put it up for 2, probably end up getting talked down to 18, that's about the lowest Id want to take. I checked CL for reference and that was around the going rate, but who knows maybe start higher so I got some more working room

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #12
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I was gonna put it up for 2, probably end up getting talked down to 18, that's about the lowest Id want to take. I checked CL for reference and that was around the going rate, but who knows maybe start higher so I got some more working room
Always start high and work your way down. That way you get the best price you possibly can for it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Shawn
ninjette.org member

Moto - I don't have much if any credit, never had a CC and didn't use my bank much, always kept it in cash, so leasing is probably out of the question. The car I'm probably gonna end up getting is another 240sx, I know them inside and out and have lots of spare parts should something happen. I can find a decent one around $1500. As I've said I do have money saved up still so I can use that towards the business, it won't be too much to start up, under $600. It's going to be mostly internet(forum) based so most things would be shipped, but I will be doing local stuff as well. Gas shouldn't be too much of an issue

Sombo - that's what I'm gonna do, I just didn't want to go too high and scare some people off. But then again they'll always be low ballers