ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

How do you clean your Bikes?

Ok after double checking and learning that Armor All is BAD lol (see other post) I was wondering what do you use to clean your bikes? I searched and couldn't find anything. I live in New Mexico and the sun is EVIL to anything is comes in contact with,( I have seen it rot tires off a trailer in one summer) so keeping everything exposed to it is important to me. what does everyone use to clean their bikes soap and water are givens but anything else?

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The plastic on my blinkers is turning white. The black on my left bar end and around the key hole is wearing away (shiny metal). What can I use? A coworker told me to use a product called "Back to Black" but I don't know if it's OK to use on bikes, engines, etc.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

micro fiber towels and a hose without a spray nozzle.
and if it's really dirty i'll spray it at a coin op car wash ,but not using any pressure from the wand and by keeping a fair distance away when sraying

Most important get a good bike cover and use it whenever you're not riding.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Car- or Bike-specific soap is best. Lots of fresh rags. A shady spot to let the bike surfaces stay cool while you clean it is a big plus.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The plastic on my blinkers is turning white. The black on my left bar end and around the key hole is wearing away (shiny metal). What can I use? A coworker told me to use a product called "Back to Black" but I don't know if it's OK to use on bikes, engines, etc.
Should be fine to use. Should be able to find it at your local wally world or local parts supply stores.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:29 AM   #6
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Meguiars Final Inspection and a microfiber towel. No need to wash it since I clean it pretty much every time I ride it. Being black makes it a dust magnet. So I'm constantly wiping it down. Sometimes if it's real dusty, I'll blow it off with compressed air first.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:30 AM   #7
dubojr1

• Bleech-White for tires (sidewalls only)
  • Car wash soap for plastics and frame
  • Simple Green for any degreasing
  • WD40 for any "hard to remove" chain grease/road grim from plastics followed by a good wash with soap & water
  • Finish off with a quality auto wax on plastics and rims (do not use on black plastics as it is hard to remove and may discolor)

Did I miss anything?

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:16 AM   #8
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Here are some general tips and dont's.

Dont use dish soap or any other type of soap not specifically designed for automotive/motorcycles. They contain phosphates and other nasty stuff that will dry out and rot the lines on your motorcycle, like brake lines, hoses, fuel lines, etc.

Dont use pressure washers on your motorcycle. Pressure washers if aimed at the wrong spot can and will wash lubricants out of bearings, and force water where it should not be, such as into the frame and swingarm causing rust, into lines, wiring, lights, etc.

Never let armor-all anywhere near your bike. It can and will cause your tires to lose traction. If used on seats, you will find your butt will slide all over the place possibly causing you to crash.

Tips:

1. Soap and water is sufficient to clean a bike for most parts. Use a good automotive/motorcycle soap. Pour the appropriate amount of soap into a bucket, mix with water for sudsy, and wash the bike with a washcloth or sponge. Also, there are lots of specialty brushes out there. I use a toilet brush for cleaning the undertail, and around the rear shock, the extra reach works well for getting up in there.

2. Use a seperate washcloth/sponge for cleaning the wheels, undertail, and grimy bits. If you use the same washcloth for everything, you will scratch the paint with dirt that is picked up from the grimy parts. And that goes for dirty scrubbrushes too.

3. For wheels, use the same soap and water. Get a good soft bristled brush and scrub them down. There is no easy way...easy ways cause damage. It takes good old fashioned work. If you keep them cleaned on a weekly basis, the brake dust and chain lube will never get the chance to eat into the finish requiring a more acidic cleaner.

4. If you want a spot free drying of the bike...use a leaf blower. A leaf blower will quickly blow dry the bike, and leave it spot free.

5. The magical Lemon Pledge. This has been a debated topic for a long time. All I can say is Ive been using it on ALL my bikes for 15 years, and never once had a problem. Lemon Pledge without a doubt will make the paint shine like the paint on a ferrari. And I do mean LEMON PLEDGE...not the dollar store wannabe stuff...LEMON PLEDGE. You spray the pledge on a microfiber cloth(not the bike), and rub down the plastic fairings, windsheild, light lenses, etc. Then you come back with a clean dry microfiber cloth, and buff it to a shine, and it WILL shine.

The lemon pledge will not last a long time, if it rains...it washes it away. Also be aware that your bike will smell like citrus....and bees like citrus. So if you store your bike outside, dont be surprised to find bees around your bike. That being said....the shine rivals anything you can get via wax, its easier to apply, it wont leave white residue in the gaps, doesnt seal in dirt, acts like rain-x on the windshield, and it smells great.

6. Go to the motorcycle store and get a "exhaust plug". Its a rubber cone plug that fits in your exhaust pipe. It keeps water from going into the exhaust....which is a good thing. You might have noticed that if you get water in the exhaust you get this funky burnt smell for the next few days.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Lemon Pledge is GREAT for a quick wipe down and on a regular basis keeps the bike nice and clean and shiny. Even the Harley guys recommend it so you know it must be good.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #10
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

I use auto soap and water, 2 microfiber mitts, and hit up the highway to dry it.

As far as the black plastics on all the bike (i.e. blinkers, gauge bezel, etc.) one of the best and easiest things I have found to use on any rough black plastic is tire shine. Spray on a rag and whipe them down. Works really good on black moldings on you cars too.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I usually leave it out in the rain. If the bugs are so bad that they're causing drag I wash with car wash soap/water and micro fiber mit.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I clean the bike the same way I do my bicycles. I use a spray bottle with water and terry cloth towels. Plexus plastic polish finishes the job. I have also used Pledge.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
After you have cleaned your bike make sure to put a coat of wax on the bike to make it shine and protect the paint finish from the damaginh effects of UV rays. A well polished bike is also easier to clean.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27028
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12334

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM   #15
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

in a nutshell..i take all the plastics off at the end of the season here except the nose. Over the winter I'll wash them all in the tube with turtle wax car wash as per instructions. I usually wet them then squeeze suds over them and hand rub them with a steady stream of suds off the sponge for lubrication.then rinse. Then pour suds on them again then scrub with microfiber sponge. Then I'll dry them with compressed air or a blower vac. Then I wax and buff each piece with turtle wax and a microfiber towel and set them aside until next season.

in the spring I'll hose everything else of the frame down with cold water. Then I treat the tank and nose with the same care as the other plastics. The frame I just hit up with the wash mit and anything that is usually grimy or gritty I'll do last, first with a wash cloth then the wash mit.

I use two buckets.one for soap the other to rinse off the dirty mit before I dunk it back in the soap.

tires and rims. I pull the rear tire off when I do the chain. I pull off the sprocket and tape up the bearings.ill then use black magic tire foam on the rim as per instruction but I'll rub that around abit with my fingers then rinse off with water. To take care of any remaining residue on the rim I rub in wd40 with my fingers and wipe off with a clean towel making sure to never get WD40 on the tire. I do the sprocket and the carrier the same way.

Show room results

dring the season I'll hose her with water, fill up two buckets hand rub the body with constant suds off a sponge, rinse, and dry with compressed air or blower. Remaining water on the body gets taken off with microfiber towel,remaing water on frame comes off with wash cloth. Badda boom, badda bing

btw. To bryan. There is an easy way to clean the tires dude. Go get that black magic tire foam now. The stuff is amazing. After using it on my tires, I said wtf and used it on my chain instead of kero or a degreaser....im never goin back. It's good ****

Old June 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I spray the bike in the shade with S100 motorcycle cleaner then hose off until suds are gone then dry with a microfiber towel. Then I use Mequires spray detail to shine it back up in between waxes. quick and works like a charm.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): Trek Alpha 1.2

someone mentioned the leaf blower tip for drying... it works wonders..

just make sure it is not a gas powered leaf blower. i had a friend do that to his SS... and we had to re wash his car to get the junk off... electric only...
Perf_White_Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #18
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

gonna pick a leaf blower up tomorow! why haven't I though of this! 12A model should be ok?
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #19
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

A little hand held bucket filled with warm soapy water (usually dishwashing liquid, or hand soap), a towel, and a microfibre cloth thing to dry it all up.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #20
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_Gt View Post

just make sure it is not a gas powered leaf blower. i had a friend do that to his SS... and we had to re wash his car to get the junk off... electric only...
I use one of these. Well maintained so no issue with oils or debri. Have to be careful though, this thing is strong enough to peel the paint back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eb802rt.jpg (95.4 KB, 710 views)

Old June 7th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #21
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Ride it through a car wash. It will get you gear clean as well. J/K

I shine up the black plastics and seat with Armoral, but I keep it miles away from the tires. I scrup the tires good with soap and a sponge and then rinse them well.

Old June 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #22
bdavison
Wartown, USA

I bought a shop-vac combo a while back. The top of it comes off and converts into an electric leafblower. Thats what I use to dry mine off. I cant tell you how great this is for drying a bike. Within minutes it blows all the water off of it. No more water spots.

I used to hate drying it off with towels, and then the minute you drive off...water streams out from the gaps around the headlight or something.

The leafblower is so great.

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Anyone know of a traditional car wash with a hand-held nozzle in San Diego?

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Anyone know of a traditional car wash with a hand-held nozzle in San Diego?
Casey's Self Service Car Wash‎- more info »
218 South Rancho Santa Fe Road, San Marcos, CA‎ - (760) 598-7644‎

i believe i've been to that one before...

but washing your fairings? isn't that what riding in the rain is for?

Old June 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Casey's Self Service Car Wash‎- more info »
218 South Rancho Santa Fe Road, San Marcos, CA‎ - (760) 598-7644‎

i believe i've been to that one before...

but washing your fairings? isn't that what riding in the rain is for?
Thanks. I always ride in the rain... it just doesn't rain NEARLY enough here!

Old June 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #26
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I use one of these. Well maintained so no issue with oils or debri. Have to be careful though, this thing is strong enough to peel the paint back.
Woah, i've never heard of anyone drying their bike with a jet-pack before

Old June 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #27
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Lemon Pledge is GREAT for a quick wipe down and on a regular basis keeps the bike nice and clean and shiny. Even the Harley guys recommend it so you know it must be good.
could I use ORANGE PLEDGE? I bought LEMON PLEDGE, but was really hoping I could use orange.

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #28
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_Gt View Post

was me. I bought a rigid blower vac because I used one at work after goig through four different shop vacs at work. The rigid was and still is the toughest as it never failed like all the rest.in fact it's probably still going for who ever stole it.lol. When shopping around I found that the rigid blower vac is also the strongest. But yeah I'll have to agree on an electric blower or dry compressed air. There are spots that you don't want to blow at like the axles and maybe the air box. It's pretty good results. I think a microfiber towel is 2nd best aslong as it is a very clean surface.

Old June 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #29
Buffalony

I'd also like to add that I detail all the bolts with wd40 and a q-tip.

as far as dish washing soap. Big no no miks. unless ur planning on rewaxing after every wash. Dish soap is fine for such a thing as stripping off old wax, especially before rewaxing, using rubbing compound, or around an area where paint is going to be touched up. Other than that feel comfortable with what's avail at local auto shops as much time and research has been put into those soaps. Good luck dude.
btw: jon....the jet pack blower idea is still hilarious. If I ever seen a neighbor doing this I would lose all muscle control and fall to the ground only to need medical attention if I ever seen that ****. Funny funny stuff. Lol

also: pledge is a huge no no on the paint. HOWEVER..i have heard from many that it's the way to go on plastics.

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #30
bdavison
Wartown, USA

FYI....The plastics are painted. Pledge is fine on paint. Its the same stuff as Plexus, only half the price.

Its still a good idea to claybar it every once in a while to pull out the crud, but the pledge works fine on painted surfaces.

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #31
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
FYI....The plastics are painted. Pledge is fine on paint. Its the same stuff as Plexus, only half the price.

Its still a good idea to claybar it every once in a while to pull out the crud, but the pledge works fine on painted surfaces.
By plastics I meant what was unpainted!

I agree Pledge is fine on paint. I disagree with pledge because it has no durability.

Plexus is supposed to be fine all around, but I wouldnt rely on it all the time for painted surfaces. In fact I wouldnt rely on any silicon oil+solvent alone product. Not that they harm paint or aren't semi-beneficial, but because there are better things out there these days.
Not only this but car care chemists select the best performing silicones to create a desired finish for each kind of car surface but what do the furniture care chemists care about cars? Do they even think of them? sure!!

Unless Pledge has a product that specifies automotive paint application I'll say no thanks. Even then I'd still be iffy.

Look...Pledge has been used for years and years. Fine. It was and old home remedy. well so was chewing cow **** to get rid of headaches until science found asprin.
Old timers used to also use kerosene on car finishes in over lapping eras!

Now in time we have hundreds of car care products designed specifically for automotive paint applications. some better than others. So in this day and age what need would trigger someone to use a product designed for furniture on their vehicle? Cause it works. Being cheap. Sure! But remember...You get what you pay for folks. Don't short change yourselves.

Last futzed with by Buffalony; June 9th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: grammer
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #32
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
Woah, i've never heard of anyone drying their bike with a jet-pack before

I use the Mr. Clean car washing system which has a de-ionizing water filter to rinse the bike off. It air dries spot free. Well worth the investment.

Old June 10th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #33
Buffalony

+1 on the Mr. Clean system

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #34
Snake

Here is a review on the Mr, Clean auto dry system. http://housekeeping.about.com/od/pro...eanautodry.htm

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #35
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

Last night it was raining so on my way out i left it in the driveway. I'll let ya know how clean it got from the free carwash once i go check on it haha
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #36
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathdude View Post
Last night it was raining so on my way out i left it in the driveway. I'll let ya know how clean it got from the free carwash once i go check on it haha
You get what you pay for. Watch out for the water spots.

Old June 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #37
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

well the good news is that the rain did clean it off a little bit
the bad news is that some **** stick scratched the living **** out of the upper fairing on their way out of the house this morning, god damnit
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #38
Buffalony

Quote:
the bad news is that some **** stick scratched the living **** out of the upper fairing on their way out of the house this morning, god damnit
That made me sick and its not even my bike. Its probably not even worth claiming. so here's a start http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=65478503 Good luck

Last futzed with by Buffalony; June 10th, 2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: proper link
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #39
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
ouch, that sucks, go to the http://www.dpars.com and get something either a pen or a small brush paint, might be a bit on the $$ side, but you will get the original paint.

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #40
Buffalony

dpars looks cheaper but double check shipping. use the colorite link to get the paint codes.