ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Question Best way to get to 65mph really fast?

No, I'm not trying to act like a squid. Here's the situation:

At one of the places I frequent, there is only one entrance/exit to the highway service road. The onramp to the highway is approximately 100 feet to the right of this entrance. The onramp is about 500 feet until I can merge. The service road is three lanes. Basically, I have to cut across 3 lanes, hit the onramp, and get to 65mph (or potentially faster), all from a standstill.

I've tried two ways to get to the target speed:

1. Accelerate in 1st until hitting 9K rpm, then hit 2nd, get to 9K rpm, then hit 3rd.
2. Accelerate in 1st until hitting 6K rpm, then hit 2nd, get to 9K rpm, then hit 3rd.

The problem is that doing it using the first method almost makes me feel like I'm losing control of the bike during the rampup to 9K rpm in 1st. I can get to the target speed, but it raises my blood pressure (since I feel like I was about to fly off the bike) and makes me nervous.

The second method is more relaxed, but I often don't quite make the target speed, as the onramp is pretty uphill, which makes me nervous, and it causes me to slow down even more to try to merge behind someone.

Missing this onramp is out of the question as I would have to wait at three lights before hitting the next onramp, which isn't fun in 90 degree weather.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #2
bobguy
ninjette.org member

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

assuming that the bike is past the break in period I'd say #1!

9k in first isn't that hard to get to on the n250. Though I would say that you shouldn't be attempting to ride the bike in ways that make you uncomfortable. I'd take the bike somewhere where you can practice take offs safely and get used to reving the bike up that much.

Until you are comfortable and in control of the bike I'd say you should buy mesh riding gear and wait for the three lights. Especially if you feel skweemish about accelerating in a congested on/off ramp setting. This means you are having to focus too much on controlling the bike and might miss that cager changing lanes w/o a blinker while texting, eating, and watching the news on his dash board T.V.

just my 2 cents.

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Yup, I'm way past the break-in period (over 5K miles already). My typical shifting RPM is around 5-6K rpm (you can tell I used the Kawasaki recommended break-in procedure....)

My gear is mesh.... and it's still really bad when it hits the 90s. I can see now why people would be willing to only ride with only a t-shirt and shorts. I end up drinking close to several hundred ounces of water these days to prevent myself from dehydrating on my commute home.

The weird thing is hitting 9K rpm isn't as "rollercoasterish" at 2nd gear in contrast to 1st.

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #4
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

just curious, why shift at 9K?

nb

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

yea when accelerating i take it up to redline. Even with the power band drop off the bike is still more powerful in the lower gear at high rpm's than a higher gear at lower rpms imho.

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #6
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

yeah if you are needing to accelerate fast, the only option i really see is to kick it as high as you need in lower gears before upshifting. if 9k does it fine, then upshift at 9k. you wont fall off the bike or anything; having higher rpms doesnt make the bike less stable (correct me if im wrong, i was told that a revving engine actually helps stability). so i agree with bobguy (steve? haha) that you should practice somewhere safe until you feel comfortable with it
billybobjoeiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well me personally in that type of situation of needing to get to 65ish about 2minutes ago.... I normally take first up to at least 11-12k where it's hitting it's upper power band before shifting. But that's just me and I have the 250 F-model. The 250 J-model like yours doesn't hit max torque till 9750rpm and max hp at 11000rpm. So you are actually shifting just before hitting your real power and therefore not getting the full acceleration the bike is capable of.

I think what may be the issue is never having been on a vehicle that revs as high as the 250. If you spent your driving days till now in vehicles that have a max red line at 7000rpms, then being on a bike that doesn't even get it's main power till almost 10000rpms will make you nervous for awhile.

As was already said, you should go out someplace secluded and safe with support (just in case) and practice hard accelerating with your bike. Work on getting up to red line just to see how it feels and to know the bikes limits for acceleration. The more you know about what your bike can do, the more you can anticipate and plan what you need to do as a rider to keep safe.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

forgive me for the long post, especially if your riding position is already correct, and the problem is strictly about you getting used to accelerating, but maybe my experiences could help...

As far as stability i ride my ninja 45 min to work any day it isn't raining... traffic flows at around 70 in the right lane, 85 in the middle lane, and 90-95 in the left lane, even though the posted speed limit is 65. I generally ride in the left lane for the duration of the trip. At this point the bike is pretty much up there near redline, and i ride like this for 45 minutes. the bike is stable as ever.

Now, I admit, my first season out, I was being blown all over the place by the wind, and i thought the bike felt like a WWII warplane about to shake itself apart from the high speed through the wind, but i learned the problem was my riding technique. A few mistakes I made, and how i've corrected them to promote a more stable feeling ride...

mistake 1 - supporting my upper body weight on my wrists
correction - keep wrists loose, do not put weight on the bars
mistake 2 - riding on my ass, and keeping my body weight on the seat
correction - shift my weight to my legs
mistake 3 - stiff upper torso
correction - loosen up torso

these corrections have really stabilized my ride, at 90+ mph commutes, which i am now completely comfortable. i no longer have my body weight dictating my steering, i no longer feel like the seat is a hinge between me and the bike (we are now one and the same), and i no longer have my upper torso and jacket creating a wind sail, blowing me around the highway.

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #9
bobguy
ninjette.org member

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I know the heat can be annoying especially if you are commuting and you don't want to be all sweaty. I find that my mesh jacket works very well...when moving. So I know what you mean. But it isn't worth getting hit by someone while you are getting used to the bike still.

I've been almost run over so many times by oblivious cages while simply cruising along that I'm super edgy at intersections and on/off ramps. accelerating should be smooth and second nature in these situations so you can make sure some jerk isn't about to kill you....this happened to me recently....I'm still a little bitter.

Just practice revving the engine up more at safer lights until you are used to it. Make sure you find that redline ever now and then. Also good riding position like Dimeifeid said. This will help to make it feel more second nature and more stable. Clamping on the bars just means you are gunna feel every little bump even more.

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, the ride before I got my bike was a car which I refused to take above 3K rpm (which is how I can get 30-40MPG from it).

I chose 9K because I know the powerband is somewhere in that area, and I'm still a bit nervous taking it past that, even less up to redline. I've taken it past 9K, but that was in 2nd gear. Hitting 9K in 1st gear almost feels like being kicked in the . I guess I'll practice when there aren't as many cars around.

I'm pretty comfortable once I get up to 75mph in 6th (and I've done it in 20mph crosswinds in the Texas Hill Country.... it's pretty fun following a BMW and a Harley and see them waver as much as I did) and I don't have trouble controlling the bike once I get to 6th gear. I do have to consciously remember not to have a stiff upper body, though.

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Hehe I used to bounce off the rev limiter in every gear on my poor little 250. That thing can get up to 65mph in no time!

Definitely work on your confidence. Being a good rider and driver depends on your ability to believe in your skill. Never doubt yourself.

Aside from that, when accelerating quickly, extra bracing will be required. Clamp on that tank with your legs, tighten up your core, but relax your shoulders, arms and neck. Open up that throttle then start screaming obscenities at the top of your lungs if you have to....but make sure you get the speed you need.

As motorcyclists our only advantage over cars is our ability to out accelerate and out maneuver them. Don't ride like an idiot, but sometimes being safe means being on the more aggressive side of "assertive riding".

To build my confidence on entering the freeway, I used to wake up early on weekends and practice going on freeway onramps when the traffic was lighter. You may want to give this a shot. That's just my suggestion. Whatever you do end up trying....good luck!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
As far as stability i ride my ninja 45 min to work any day it isn't raining... traffic flows at around 70 in the right lane, 85 in the middle lane, and 90-95 in the left lane, even though the posted speed limit is 65.
Holy cow, 90-95?!?!?!? The police would nail you where I live for driving 90-95. I don't even drive past 80 in my car!

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #13
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Aside from that, when accelerating quickly, extra bracing will be required. Clamp on that tank with your legs, tighten up your core, but relax your shoulders, arms and neck. Open up that throttle then start screaming obscenities at the top of your lungs if you have to....but make sure you get the speed you need.

As motorcyclists our only advantage over cars is our ability to out accelerate and out maneuver them. Don't ride like an idiot, but sometimes being safe means being on the more aggressive side of "assertive riding".

To build my confidence on entering the freeway, I used to wake up early on weekends and practice going on freeway onramps when the traffic was lighter. You may want to give this a shot. That's just my suggestion. Whatever you do end up trying....good luck!
Hehe, I think I'll brace the tank and yell obscenities while hitting the throttle! I do know obscenities from several languages!

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #14
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

is your bike stock?

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #15
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
is your bike stock?
Stock except for the brake and clutch levers.

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #16
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
Yup, I'm way past the break-in period (over 5K miles already). My typical shifting RPM is around 5-6K rpm (you can tell I used the Kawasaki recommended break-in procedure....)
Shifting around 5-6k is the root of your problem. With 5K miles under your belt, you really need to be winding out the tach more. Frankly, the bike is a dog under 8k rpm, especially if you find yourself needing acceleration. I have just over 2k miles on mine (and that's my sum total riding experience), and I find myself using lots of throttle and all of the powerband. My typical commuting rpm is 8-9K, which is in the heart of the midrange.

Your riding skills will never expand until you start using more rpms, to be really honest. And you want your riding skills to expand, believe me.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #18
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I've been hit in the head one too many times back in school.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #19
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

A few more will not hurt.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #20
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
A few more will not hurt.
Hey, I've had stitches for two of the blows to my head.

I'm assuming you're probably trying to tell me to rejet my carbs, right?

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #21
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I'm not saying anything.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #22
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I'm not saying anything.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #23
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

jet it and get a pipe you can probably regear it as well. But then money starts adding up

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #24
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
jet it and get a pipe you can probably regear it as well. But then money starts adding up
That's waiting for the 7500 mile maintenance.

The guy who I helped out with his valve adjustment on his cruiser is going to help me with mine and I'm going to do quite a few "extra" things while he's helping me.

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #25
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

good

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #26
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Just do it

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #27
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

do it do it do it

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #28
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

you know you want to

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #29
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Hitting 9K in 1st gear almost feels like being kicked in the .
The reason for that feeling is just like I said, you are JUST getting into your power band at that point. When in 1st gear and you hit over 9k you are now feeling the max torque of the motor. Get it to 11k and you'll feel the max hp. Do that over and over and over........ This will help you know how it feels and start to get used to it.

I guess I'm just strange cause the first day I took my bike out I was hitting the highway at 70mph. And it was that real nice grooved cement that PA likes to use with the crappy tires before I got the sport demons put on.

Now when entering the oh so lovely I-4 of central Florida, I won't bother to shift till at least 11-12k on my bike. And a lot of those times I'm also passing a slow accelerating cager in front of me lol.

Of course I do admit that recently I have been wishing I had at least the power of the 500 to help with just a little extra umph on the highway (which most of Orlando is made of ).
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #30
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soujyu View Post
hitting 9k in 1st gear almost feels like being kicked in the .
Quote:
i'm not saying anything.
-------
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #31
kkim

practice, son... practice.

with control comes speed. control does not come from just going fast... that's how accidents and crashes happen. learn to control your bike and be comfortable with it first before you force yourself to push it beyond your current comfort level.

I suggest finding a nice open stretch of road with no cars and practice accelerating from a dead stop under the same conditions you describe. Try it as many different ways that you think will make a difference. In the end, you'll end up with a better understanding with how your bike runs when pushed to it's limits.

If I need to get from a dead stop to max speed in the least amount of time, I make the shift at redline.

I never redline in first gear though. I think of first gear as more of a rolling entry into second gear because the engine simply revs through first in a blink of an eye.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #32
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Best way to get to 65mph really fast?
1000CC's.
0-60 in 3 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gsxr1000.jpg (49.9 KB, 4 views)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #33
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Holy cow, 90-95?!?!?!? The police would nail you where I live for driving 90-95. I don't even drive past 80 in my car!
Route 287. They can nail us, and they do. 287 is notorious for speeding. Riverdale is the only town where municipal cops have jurisdiction on the highway. The speeding tickets are the towns biggest revenue, most are handed out on 287.

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #34
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
1000CC's.
0-60 in 3 seconds.

Old May 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #35
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Don't be afraid to wring the throttle and push the bike to redline. It will take it.

No reason to worry about running 9k. I cruise arround 9K all the time with no problems.

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I redline it from stops all the time in first. It helps that I'm now at 15:45 gearing. When you lane-split at a stop light and one of the cars doesn't want to let you back in when you all get green, I try to make sure that I get my choice of lanes!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #37
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If I need to get from a dead stop to max speed in the least amount of time, I make the shift at redline.

I never redline in first gear though. I think of first gear as more of a rolling entry into second gear because the engine simply revs through first in a blink of an eye.
You must not weigh 270 pounds then. I need every last bit of oomph the bike can give for fast acceleration.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #38
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
You must not weigh 270 pounds then. I need every last bit of oomph the bike can give for fast acceleration.
sounds like you need to mod your bike, if it's more oomph you're after.

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Clearly the next step is a pile of carbon fiber and titanium parts replacements on the bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #40
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Clearly the next step is a pile of carbon fiber and titanium parts replacements on the bike.

ta dum dum... pishh.