ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Oil level -- how low is too low?

Okay, so this year I've pretty much just ridden my bike, an 08. I've been a bit lazy about maintenance... life is very busy, but I figured I'd be fine as long as I went over everything at the end of the season or at 3k miles, whichever came first. As it happened, both arrived at about the same time.

I decided to park it for the winter over the weekend, and got the necessaries to do the oil change. To my distress I found when I put the bike up on its stand that there was no oil in the sight glass.

I hate that freakin' thing. I can't see it while on the bike and I have in fact dropped the bike trying to look at it while standing off to the side when I couldn't find the telescoping mirror I keep around for the purpose. But enough of that. Point is that I haven't been checking the oil.

So I've been low on oil for an unknown period of time. However, the bike has been running just fine, the oil pressure idiot light has not lit and does not take overly long to go out in the morning.

I believe I should be okay. Machines are designed with safety margins, and given the lack of anything bad having taken place it would appear that I've landed in that territory.

Anyone got insight on this?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #2
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

usually on the rear stand it throws off the sight glass, at least mine does slightly. i usually just keep it on its kicktand and hold the bike up with my left hand and kneel down and look at the sight glass.. or if you have someone around have them hold the bike up while you check it.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

It should always look empty when on a rear stand. You have to check it while on the ground.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Well, actually the embarrassing tipover trying to check the oil while off the bike happened last night, when I had that exact same thought about the level being inaccurate because it was on the stand.

When I took it off the stand and stood it up I still didn't see anything, but the act of bending over far enough to see the glass resulted in the bike leaning just a bit... too... far..... oh.... no.... DANGIT.

Anyway, assume for a moment that the level was in fact lower than the sight glass.

Is there a safety margin?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #5
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
It should always look empty when on a rear stand. You have to check it while on the ground.
Not necessarily.
When my bike is up on my t-rex stands, if I fill it up to the low level, then it is exactly in the center when the bike is on the ground.
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Provided that the oil pressure light functions like it should and does not flicker or come on while the engine is running, I think you are fine. If you are really worried about it, not that you could do anything now about it, you can send the oil in for analysis when you change it. I'd say just visually examine it yourself though for any metal particles and try to measure how much is drained to give an idea of how low it was.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #7
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

on a leveled ground i use a brick slipping the kickstand in to 1 of the holes on the brick that is ass perfect i can get it level w/out tipping her over i would not except any thing less that the low line in the sight-glass

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Well, actually the embarrassing tipover trying to check the oil while off the bike happened last night, when I had that exact same thought about the level being inaccurate because it was on the stand.

When I took it off the stand and stood it up I still didn't see anything, but the act of bending over far enough to see the glass resulted in the bike leaning just a bit... too... far..... oh.... no.... DANGIT.
Sorry about your tipover, but you're on the right track as far as getting an accurate oil reading is concerned. Do it that way but start out already crouched down on the right-hand side of the bike so there's no bending over to read the sightglass. This way you can keep a careful feel for the balance point of the bike. Moving your head (noggin, melon) out of the vertical causes (caused) you to lose track of the bike's balance point (this is a weak spot in our basic physiology. Aerospace Physiologists will tell you that this is a common contributor to airplane crashes where human error is at fault).

The best method for determining whether the oil level is actually where it should be on an unmodified (i.e. normal rear shock, not raised or lowered) EX-250 is this:

On a very flat garage floor or driveway or sidewalk. Starting with the bike on its sidestand and you crouched down on the righthand side of the bike so you can see the oil sightglass. Reach up and grab the right handlebar grip (squeezing the brake lever with it) and bring the bike up toward vertical. With your left hand grab the center stand and bring it gently down to the floor (or driveway or sidewalk). When both of the center stand legs touch the floor at the same time your bike is perfectly vertical (if the bike is even a tiny bit tilted one of the side stand legs won't touch the floor). This is when you check the oil level.

Throughout the process you tell yourself that maintaining the bike's balance and keeping control of it is the most important item, while getting a good look at the sightglass is secondary. Slow and gentle.

Of course, having somebody to help you (even just as a spotter) would be best, although I can't get my own wife to come out into the garage.

Any other position of the bike gives a bad oil level reading. If it's on the centerstand it'll be tilted too far forward to give a true reading. If you're sitting on the bike you'll be compressing the rear shock and the bike will be tilted too far to back to give a true reading.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Sucks about dropping the bike. Definitely take your time next time. Working on anything in the garage can be dangerous for you as well.

I'm wondering about why the oil level dropped in the first place. I don't have a lot of miles on mine (~2200) but have never noticed a drop in oil level. I know it is 'normal' for these engines to burn a bit of oil, but I haven't noticed it happening.

+1 on measuring the amount of oil that was in the bike when you drain it out. Are you certain that the drain plug washer was sealing completely? Could there have been a slight leak there?
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote