ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 15th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #41
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonieibarra View Post
The key turns and all the lights and the odometer lights up is it really the battery?
1. Measure voltage of battery with everything off
2. Measure voltage of battery while cranking

These two pieces of data tells a lot!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM   #42
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
The key turns and all the lights and the odometer lights up is it really the battery?
Yes, the load before you hit the "start" button is small. A nearly discharged battery can handle that small load, but not the high current requirement of the starter motor.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #43
Jonieibarra
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 99 yamaha r6

So charge it. If it doesent start then how to i drian the bowls?
Jonieibarra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #44
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
So charge it. If it doesent start then how to i drian the bowls?
You need to take one step at a time. If it doesn't start, you'll need to make a voltage measurement at the battery terminals while cranking to see if the problem is still the battery. Sometimes batteries fail and charging doesn't help. If after charging, the battery can hold something around 11.5 to 12.0 volts during cranking, then you can move on to the next possible cause of the non-start. If the battery voltage still drops excessively, you'll need to replace the battery and see where you stand.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:34 PM   #45
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That may mean a bit of work to get it going.

If you didn't add stabilizer and run it enough to get it into the carbs, or drain the floatbowls (best), then you probably have a tank of bad gas.

Left sitting long enough in the carbs, the gas will evaporate and leave a film of "varnish" in the bowl and jets. If it's bad enough you'll need to remove and completely disassemble the carbs to remove it.

Start by charging the battery and draining the floatbowls. The gas that sits there loses volatility and goes bad the quickest - making starting difficult.

Draining the tank completely and filling with fresh gas and stabilizer is a good next step. A full tank of stabilized ethanol-free gas will last a long time, but draining the floatbowls while it's in storage is always the best imo.
I just took a 30 mile ride on my 07 250. On 11/14/2017 I put about 2oz. of Stabil and about 4oz of gas line antifreeze in the tank and filled it. It's 42 degrees out and after cranking a-bit to fill the float bowls she fired right up. WHEW!!! I had to choke it a-bit until she warmed up. She ran fine thank God. It was good to get a few miles in during mid winter.

Bill