ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM   #41
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

I'm going to get smoked for this but... I don't do the all the gear all the time thing, it's just not particle around here, I graduate my gear according to what I'm doing. the bulk of my riding when I wear this will be in the city at speeds ranging from 25-50 mph. If I do the freeway (rare I lost 2 friends on the freeway) I will wear my coat because heat is less of an issue I can unzip it a little and get air flow going through it. I have crashed my BMX bike coming down from Sandia Crest which is a huge down the mountain road, I know I did it at at least 40 because the speed limit is 35 and I was blowing past cars, and when I would use my breaks to slow down they would smoke. would wear out my break pads in one run!!! that was when I was 16 and I wore no gear at all. Its a sacrifice between the safety of the riding situation and pure suffering. But I will probably get arm protection next they just didn't have any.

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM   #42
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
The Bombshell boots seem totally impractical as well, and that's coming from a shorty. A heel with no platform is useless.
i actually will have to disagree with this..upon first seeing them, i thought they looked stupid and impractical...my bf actually bought them for me, cause he thought they were hot i am fairly short, and i have to say that these are not only very comfortable, but being flat on the bottom, and having a thin toe, they are easy to ride/shift in...since i can reach the ground well enough to get good leverage with the balls of my feet, having the wedge makes is easier for me to get good leverage with my whole foot...they are obviously not racing boots, but i'd say they offer better protection than a lot of boots that are not geared towards riding...and they are easy to get on and off...i have worn them way more than i originally thought...especially since my first reaction was..."i'd be embarrassed to ride in those"
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM   #43
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
since i can reach the ground well enough to get good leverage with the balls of my feet, having the wedge makes is easier for me to get good leverage with my whole foot.
Ahh, I guess this is probably the difference between us. I can't get the balls of my feet down without a platform, so having a heel is not useful at all. I see how it would help those who CAN touch with the balls of their feet and give them more contact with the ground!
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 05:52 PM   #44
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Blackwidow go to shops try on gear. Post pics and we will help you with the selection. Or get what fits, is in reasonable price range and obviously has good protction.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM   #45
backinthesaddleagain

I find when I wear an Icon womens jacket the back of it rides up and reveals my ninjette.org lower back tatoo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM   #46
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
Ahh, I guess this is probably the difference between us. I can't get the balls of my feet down without a platform, so having a heel is not useful at all. I see how it would help those who CAN touch with the balls of their feet and give them more contact with the ground!
after i posted, i thought the same thing...it probably depends on the level of shortness i'm 5'4" ....i can easily see how if i were even an inch shorter, it wouldn't matter
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM   #47
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I used to buy cheaper chinese brands (scorpion etc) and was happy with them because they suited their purpose. they were cheap and provided adequate protection, but they didn't age well. bits would slowly break or fall off because instead of being properly secured, the manufacturer simply glued it on or took some other shortcut.
then I found out really how much nicer a set of quality gear is. there's a reason it's more expensive... it's because it doesn't suck.

as other people have said; make sure before you buy your gear (or anything, really...) you go check it out in the store. look at it's competition. look at the next models up and compare the quality. look at the stitching. cheap crap has poor stitching that comes undone. what material is the stitching made out of? how are the stitches tied off? any loose threads? how is the fabric/material folded at the seams? what about the inside? are there any rough materials on the inside that could irritate you? are the seams flush on the inside? and most importantly how does it feel when you put it on?

again... try lots of different brands. noone is the best at everything so don't get TOO brand loyal. just find the best you can find for the money you can spend.

my

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:59 PM   #48
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I find when I wear an Icon womens jacket the back of it rides up and reveals my ninjette.org lower back tatoo.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #49
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have been riding with Icon ARC riding pants for two years. They are comfortable, not unbearable in the 90 degree heat we have had recently, and above all, they are really waterproof. For touring, that is very important. The Tourmaster Raven jacket is also waterproof---no need for a rainsuit.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #50
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I used to buy cheaper chinese brands (scorpion etc) and was happy with them because they suited their purpose. they were cheap and provided adequate protection, but they didn't age well. bits would slowly break or fall off because instead of being properly secured, the manufacturer simply glued it on or took some other shortcut.
then I found out really how much nicer a set of quality gear is. there's a reason it's more expensive... it's because it doesn't suck.
First time I've heard Scorpion called a cheaper Chinese brand... aren't they Korean. Anyways, they certainly aren't cheap to buy and construction looks solid. I've seen their race suits survive multiple crashes and the suit still looks great.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand. The other great thing I found was looking for closeouts. Many times vendors online will put gear on closeout while stores will still have the jacket at full price. It gives a great opportunity to try on the jacket first to find out if you like it because the retail store most likely will still have it in stock. This is much easier to do with Women's gear because frankly there aren't that many female riders.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #51
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
I'm damn impressed with Scorpion helmets and also have a pair of the Deuce pants. Which helmet do you have? I lusted over the EXO-1000 with the internal tinted visor for a while.
The matte black EXO-1000 is the one I picked up and couldn't be happier with it. The drop down tinted visor works flawlessly and the lid itself is very comfy and flows a fair amount of air. I most recently picked up a KBC modular not as impressed with it but it does fit well and is comfy.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #52
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Worthless, and will remain that way!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM   #53
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
First time I've heard Scorpion called a cheaper Chinese brand... aren't they Korean. Anyways, they certainly aren't cheap to buy and construction looks solid. I've seen their race suits survive multiple crashes and the suit still looks great.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand. The other great thing I found was looking for closeouts. Many times vendors online will put gear on closeout while stores will still have the jacket at full price. It gives a great opportunity to try on the jacket first to find out if you like it because the retail store most likely will still have it in stock. This is much easier to do with Women's gear because frankly there aren't that many female riders.
I thought they were American when I first tried them out lol. Then I found out they are originally a Chinese brand that works with korean engineers to make their helmets. I like the construction of my jacket though, its holding up great and I'll be keeping it for a while. I had an exo-400 a while back and its construction was good too, but my new shoei rf-1100 just kills everything else I've looked at with its quality and design.

Check out NewEnough they have some really good sales on good gear sometimes, sometimes you can about 200 off of normal retail on their closeouts.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM   #54
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninjette(sold), 2011 ZX-10r

I have an Icon accelerant perf

Works and fits just like the alpinestar version. I like the shoulder/back plates on it, I've also ridin it in 100+ degree weather and it does fine.

And Icon leg field armor:

Which IMO are the best knee pads you can get and they fit great with my A* full boots. The best part is you can wear them under normal jeans, but I dont wear skin tigh jeans like some people do.

All my other gear is A*. The best advice is just go to the store and try it on, I wouldn't recommend buying it online without trying it on first, all the sizes seem to be different(atleast for men).
Werehusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #55
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

thats so mean, i hate that! I haven't even physically gotten my bike yet and people are throwing comments at me like that. they ask if its an upgrade for a scooter or if it will be able to get on the freeway. Makes me want to ride and practice so I can show those guys one day what the ninjette is all about!
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #56
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I own a leather merc hero icon jacket, very comfy and thick leather, it wasn't free but neither were the other jackets. I also have a icon lid, the price was very good and it's a solid peice too.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM   #57
Blackwidow

this is what i'm getting....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 473c4637ab3b4816b6b599da358c3192_refined.jpg (13.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_Icon_Airframe_Crossbone_Racer_Helmet.jpg (16.8 KB, 126 views)

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #58
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Cool looks good blackwidow I was going to get one of those icon airframes awhile back but the store didn't have my size... It seemed like a great helmet though

And the Icon field armor knee and shin is great. I can't use the bottom strip of Velcro cause my leg is skinny there lol, but it still fits and stays put very well. If someone gives you grief about your choice in bike just tell them to GTFO. But I just give people a look like I'm someone you really don't want to say something stupid to and they leave me be.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #59
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
LOL that is the jacket I have been dying for since I started riding. It was too pricey for me and opted to go for closeouts instead... maybe one day I'll get it.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #60
Blackwidow

we have good taste

i got the bf to buy it for me, i can't afford it. lol now i'm saving for the helmet.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #61
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
I think that's sweet

dont forget the license plate frame
i likey, where did you find that?

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM   #62
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Quote:

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #63
Blackwidow

Kit...i did post pics...but not with me in it

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #64
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 07 Z-1000, 07 Ninja 250, 04 Honda Aero

Quote:
my old lady wants that in white but i think they quit making it. cost too much for us poor folks anyway.
b_eastep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #65
Blackwidow

nope, its still on the shelves. i saw the white, it looks cute, but it will get dirty fast...so i rather stick with the black.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:16 AM   #66
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckholloway View Post
I have an Icon jacket (hate it) quality is poor and fit is worse. I have a pair of Icon gloves (hate them) fit is fine, they fell apart with in a month. I have an Icon domain helmet (crap) padding started breaking down with in a couple months and the structure started to break down shortly after. I have several helmets from Icon to HJC and 8 or in between. I would have to say "FOR ME" scorpion is the best.
I've had my pair of Icon leather gloves for a long time now (30k on the bike since i bought them) and I've yet to have them "fall apart". I've got an Alliance SSR (speedfreak) helmet from icon, but I prefer my HJC. My gf has a scorpion helmet, and it's by far the heaviest helmet we've got, and it's also the smallest size.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #67
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

I have the Merc Short gloves and they have held up splendidly so far. They're a good fit for my small hands, too.

Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #68
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Personally, I'm a fan of Icon's more subtle items, the ones that aren't plastered with graphics. They look good and function well. I have their TiMax gauntlets, and I absolutely love them and I know they'll protect me if the need arises.

Old August 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #69
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Just ordered myself one of the Icon field armor vests. Gonna use it instead of the back-plate i was using, so i get a bit of chest-protection as well. Looks like a good product, it's been getting good reviews online and havent seen anyone else selling a similar product. That leg and knee protector someone posted a pic of, looks interesting too.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #70
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdog View Post
I'm going to get smoked for this but... I don't do the all the gear all the time thing, it's just not particle around here, I graduate my gear according to what I'm doing. the bulk of my riding when I wear this will be in the city at speeds ranging from 25-50 mph. If I do the freeway (rare I lost 2 friends on the freeway) I will wear my coat because heat is less of an issue I can unzip it a little and get air flow going through it. I have crashed my BMX bike coming down from Sandia Crest which is a huge down the mountain road, I know I did it at at least 40 because the speed limit is 35 and I was blowing past cars, and when I would use my breaks to slow down they would smoke. would wear out my break pads in one run!!! that was when I was 16 and I wore no gear at all. Its a sacrifice between the safety of the riding situation and pure suffering. But I will probably get arm protection next they just didn't have any.
If you need to unzip your jacket to get airflow, then you don't have a good summer jacket. I have three different mesh jackets where the airflow is great. I also have a perf leather jacket, but the airflow is not so good on this.

I pretty much ride with gear all the time. At a minimum, a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. The only place I occasionally take my chances is on my pants where I wear jeans. If I am going on a long ride though and not just commuting, I will wear either mesh over pants when it's hot, or my Kevlar lined jeans. Temps here, like today, are frequently over 100 degrees. With the right gear, it really isn't an issue.

By the way, riding with your jacket partially unzipped is a good way to get an "uninvited guest" into your jacket. The kind that sting.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #71
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post

By the way, riding with your jacket partially unzipped is a good way to get an "uninvited guest" into your jacket. The kind that sting.
i'm glad you mentioned this, I was planning on zipping my jacket halfway when it got too hot. I didn't think of the bugs flying in.

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #72
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
I looked at a lot of that icon gear, while I think it's sweet I also think it's over priced.
like everything else, i think you need to shop around. some places may have a helmet for 330 and other may have the same helmet for a fraction of that. i don't think its the brand that drive the price, its the store.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #73
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Never been a fan of Icon. I've tried on their helmets and just didn't like the fit. My Arai and Shoei helmets seem to fit better. Also, their product styling seems to be a little "out there" for me, so there is no appeal there either. The idiot stunters around here (the one's who do it on public roads) seem to like the Icon brand which is just another reason for me not to wear it. Lastly, those vests seem to be a big waste of time to me. It leaves the parts of your body most prone to injury, your arms, totally exposed and unprotected.

Blackwidow, before you pull the trigger on buying that helmet and jacket, make sure the helmet fits properly. Please don't put the pretty design as a priority over the fit of the helmet.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #74
Blackwidow

Scott- thanks, but I have tried on both the jacket and helmet. I have a shoei helmet now, and it sort of wabbles on my head...its a bit too big, but for now will do as i'm sticking to parking lots and empty residential streets. but when i tried on the icon helmet and jacket they were a perfect fit. i sat on a bike with the gear on at the store and made sure the back doesn't ride up exposing the small of my back and i was able to turn my head easily with the helmet on.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #75
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
i'm glad you mentioned this, I was planning on zipping my jacket halfway when it got too hot. I didn't think of the bugs flying in.
LOL. Yes, new riders are always amazed at the amount of bugs on their helmets, visors, jacket, etc. after a ride. Of course, I imagine different places have different degrees of this issue. Around here, in the summer, there are hornets everywhere. I see them bounce off my visor all the time. I wouldn't want one of those buggers getting into my jacket when I'm going 70 mph down the highway.

Another bug around here are those gigantic grass hopper things. Those things feel like a rock when you hit one. Last year I had one hit me between my jacket and my helmet, right at my throat. It actually cut me a little.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #76
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Scott- thanks, but I have tried on both the jacket and helmet. I have a shoei helmet now, and it sort of wabbles on my head...its a bit too big, but for now will do as i'm sticking to parking lots and empty residential streets. but when i tried on the icon helmet and jacket they were a perfect fit. i sat on a bike with the gear on at the store and made sure the back doesn't ride up exposing the small of my back and i was able to turn my head easily with the helmet on.
Very good. A wobbly helmet is not good. Also remember, you want the helmet to fit kind of snug when it is new. It will loosen up. But not so tight that it creates "hot spots".

Old August 6th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #77
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
. The idiot stunters around here (the one's who do it on public roads) seem to like the Icon brand which is just another reason for me not to wear it.
While I'm not a big fan of Icon gear either, its good that they are at least getting the idiots to where some type of gear. I think when they first came out they geared their lineup towards people who thought gear was stupid.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #78
Blackwidow

so i got the icon hella crossbone jacket, and i love it. the leather is soft so i don't feel like i'm in a straight jacket while riding. also, the air flow is wonderful, in the hot weather, i feel an awesome breeze in my jacket. So any of you ladies considering getting the jacket, i recommend it!

Old August 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #79
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
so i got the icon hella crossbone jacket, and i love it. the leather is soft so i don't feel like i'm in a straight jacket while riding. also, the air flow is wonderful, in the hot weather, i feel an awesome breeze in my jacket. So any of you ladies considering getting the jacket, i recommend it!
Pics! (bigger than the avatar )

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #80
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

When I shop for gears the 1st thing I look for is the kind of protection they offer. 2nd is the comfort. 3rd is the style.
I had the Icon motohead leather jacket but too bad it was too big on me. Very nice leather (better leather than some A*). I also use the Icon leg armors. Great protection for the knees and lower legs. I also have the Icon primer tank bag. It's small enough to carry around yet big enough to fit my wallet, phone, keys and lunch box. Yes, I do bring lunch to work. As far as their helmets and gloves go, I was never attracted to them.

I think brand loyalty play a big factor in my decision too.
Helmet: 1) Shark 2) HJC
Leather Jacket: 1) Dainese 2)A*
Textile: 1)A* 2) Fieldsheer
Gloves: A*
Boots/Shoes: Sidi
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote