Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM   #81
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
I got my Snell Approved HJC CL-16 slayer for $130 and it even came with a clip-on anti-fog insert which is the greatest thing ever. Funny enough, I didn't buy it because I was looking for a value, I bought it because I was looking for a decent looking green helmet

How does the anti-fog insert work? Why is it the greatest thing ever? Just wondering....also, what bluetooth do you have? How is it?
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:27 PM   #82
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
@kstorm, if this helps, my dirt goggles, are anti-fog. Several times, they should have fogged. But they didn't. So, do you want to see, or not lol?

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM   #83
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
so I am wearing my Icon Variant right now. It is quite comfortable. I noticed the shield is really clear. did some tests flipping it up/down while watching TV and its barely noticeable when down. There is not the common distortion from a curved bit of plastic in front of you.

The chin strap is a bit short, it touches my neck and I do not like anything touching my neck. It is not tight but my other helmet is a bit longer so I do not feel it.

The helmet is really quiet. when the face shield is down I noticed a substantial drop in the audio from the TV. It seems to mute low frequencies much more than high so you can hear voices reasonably well.

It is well balanced. It does not seem to want to pull in any direction even if I lean my head to give it an opportunity.

It is fairly light compared to my other modular helmet. I can lean back and it does not want to take my head with it.

I have yet to wear it while riding but I am pleased enough that I am likely to keep it. Pending another hour of wearing it tonight if nothing uncomfortable happens I will wear it for the hour commute tomorrow morning. Given that I have little work right now I will probably write something on how it performs while riding. I need to get some additional curved gopro mounting stickums to get the cam on, which does add drag so tomorrow will be a clean helmet vs one with a camera on top which is not quite fair but all I can do right now.
As long as everything works out, I would love to hear how it performs while riding.

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM   #84
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
How does the anti-fog insert work? Why is it the greatest thing ever? Just wondering....
So the anti-fog thing creates a vacuum seal between the visor and the insert, and it works perfectly. I used to wake up in the morning for school, throw on my helmet, jump on the bike, breathe out and say because I couldn't see anything because my breath just fogged up the visor, so I would have to open it and freeze my face. Now that is no longer an issue at all. That is why this is the greatest thing ever. Same at night, I used to have evening classes and even if I left my helmet outside and it was cold and covered in condensation, still no fog and I could see perfect.

Quote:
also, what bluetooth do you have? How is it?
As for the bluetooth, I actually have 2 variants. I have the Oneal helmet with the bluetooth built in, and on this helmet I have the chatterbox xbi ($120). As for looks, the Oneal looks sleeker because it is actually built into the helmet whereas the xbi is an addon (you can put it on any helmet). As for performance, the blinc (the brand on the Oneal) is complete crap. You can barely hear out of the left speaker (a common problem, not just on mine, I looked it up), and the quality is horrendous. The XBI on the otherhand is awesome. Much higher quality sound for music and phone calls, and the volume is the same in both ears. The only downside I have with the XBI system is that whenever I sync the helmet with my phone, it will sync automatically but it will also dial the last number dialed, which can be annoying for others

Note: You can see the insert if you look, it is designed for these helmets and you can get them in different colors and such.

http://www.pinlockusa.net/
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM   #85
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
So the anti-fog thing creates a vacuum seal between the visor and the insert, and it works perfectly. I used to wake up in the morning for school, throw on my helmet, jump on the bike, breathe out and say because I couldn't see anything because my breath just fogged up the visor, so I would have to open it and freeze my face. Now that is no longer an issue at all. That is why this is the greatest thing ever. Same at night, I used to have evening classes and even if I left my helmet outside and it was cold and covered in condensation, still no fog and I could see perfect.

As for the bluetooth, I actually have 2 variants. I have the Oneal helmet with the bluetooth built in, and on this helmet I have the chatterbox xbi ($120). As for looks, the Oneal looks sleeker because it is actually built into the helmet whereas the xbi is an addon (you can put it on any helmet). As for performance, the blinc (the brand on the Oneal) is complete crap. You can barely hear out of the left speaker (a common problem, not just on mine, I looked it up), and the quality is horrendous. The XBI on the otherhand is awesome. Much higher quality sound for music and phone calls, and the volume is the same in both ears. The only downside I have with the XBI system is that whenever I sync the helmet with my phone, it will sync automatically but it will also dial the last number dialed, which can be annoying for others

Note: You can see the insert if you look, it is designed for these helmets and you can get them in different colors and such.

http://www.pinlockusa.net/
I see. I've seen them like that but wasn't sure how it worked, or if it actually did. I just bought the Scorpion Oil Neon helmet and it has EverClear® no-fog visor. Whatever that means. I guess the no-fog stuff is on both sides of the shield.

I almost bought that same O'Neal helmet for the bluetooth. That's the one with the FM radio, right? I was thinking about getting Sena SMH5 that comes out in April.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM   #86
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I see. I've seen them like that but wasn't sure how it worked, or if it actually did. I just bought the Scorpion Oil Neon helmet and it has EverClear® no-fog visor. Whatever that means. I guess the no-fog stuff is on both sides of the shield.

I almost bought that same O'Neal helmet for the bluetooth. That's the one with the FM radio, right? I was thinking about getting Sena SMH5 that comes out in April.
Yeah, it works amazingly well. I almost forget sometimes, but you can see around the very outer edges where it still fogs up. Also, once I made the mistake of grabbing my other helmet at night when I was running to the store, it fogged up so bad I haven't used it since.

The Oneal is just...terrible, even charging it is a PITA, I like the helmet, but I just can't recommend the bluetooth solution to anyone. I've never tried the Sena, but apparently they make good stuff, so I'm sure it would be fine for your needs. I love the XBI, but I haven't tried the Sena, so who knows.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:09 AM   #87
Disturbed
Two wheeled samurai

Name: Abhishek

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Yamaha RXZ

I loved the Iicon design and graphics and couldn't resist piking one up. This my IIcon Airframe Predator. I loved the Alliance Krazy Klown but my wife hated it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Icon-Airframe-Predator-Helmet-Black_LG.jpg (85.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg AllianceKrazyKlownFront_w-horns.jpg (143.4 KB, 1 views)
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:11 AM   #88
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I've never tried the Sena, but apparently they make good stuff, so I'm sure it would be fine for your needs. I love the XBI, but I haven't tried the Sena, so who knows.
I just like the Sena cause it has a big round one main button/toggle thing. Is it had to use the XBI with all the little buttons?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:25 AM   #89
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Sorry for all the pictures, but I love looking for new helmets so I have quite a few favorite schemes I've run across:

Troy Lee "Pascal Picotte" Shoei

Oneal Fastrack Element Helmet

Scorpion Exo-750 "Live Fast"

Shoei X-11 Vermeulen 3
vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:42 AM   #90
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I just like the Sena cause it has a big round one main button/toggle thing. Is it had to use the XBI with all the little buttons?
I can see that, the Blinc setup on the Oneal is like that, where there is a round toggle and a central button inside of it. I guess its a little easier to use than the XBi, but I've never had a problem with using it. I actually prefer the individual buttons, I use thick leather gloves and I can feel each individual button, so its not really that much harder, both are easy to use while riding. In fact I had less problems with the buttons because I would always forget which way to turn the stupid thing to turn the volume up, on the XBi its always the top button, easy to remember.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM   #91
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
I have that on my Oil helmet too and it *says* that the no-fog stuff is on the visor and the drop down sun shade, but the sun shade still seems to fog up from time to time... A lot quicker than the visor itself... It does a great job compared to my older helmet, which fogged up just looking at it, but there are still times with the EXO500 that I have to crack the visor to let the fog dissipate... But it usually clears up pretty quickly, which is also nice!

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #92
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
My tigger ears and tail are suction mounted. They do not appear to want to adhere to the rubberized surface on the helmet. Rather than risk losing them (they do not appear to be made anymore) I left them at home. I will try to see if I can do something to make this work better on this surface.
What about some kind of silicon? My husband uses it for everything lately. It seems to stick okay but can easily be pulled off. Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
I have that on my Oil helmet too and it *says* that the no-fog stuff is on the visor and the drop down sun shade, but the sun shade still seems to fog up from time to time... A lot quicker than the visor itself... It does a great job compared to my older helmet, which fogged up just looking at it, but there are still times with the EXO500 that I have to crack the visor to let the fog dissipate... But it usually clears up pretty quickly, which is also nice!
That's good to know. Thanks man. I can't wait to get my helmet!!! I was looking for a hi-viz one that was just boring but also needed the drop down visor. I someone came across the Oil Neon and I've been hooked! Do you know if any of the shields from the 700, 750, etc, will work on the 500? It looks like the 750 is pretty close to it. Or do you know when to get shields at a decent price? I've found them from $35-$55.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #93
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
That's good to know. Thanks man. I can't wait to get my helmet!!! I was looking for a hi-viz one that was just boring but also needed the drop down visor. I someone came across the Oil Neon and I've been hooked! Do you know if any of the shields from the 700, 750, etc, will work on the 500? It looks like the 750 is pretty close to it. Or do you know when to get shields at a decent price? I've found them from $35-$55.
Yeah, the drop down visor was a must for me since I use the bike a lot for commuting and am driving into the sun both ways, but during the months where the sun goes down as I am driving home, I didn't want just a tinted shield... As soon as I saw that some helmets had this feature, I had to have it! And as soon as I saw the Oil, it was perfect for what I was looking for!

I would assume the shields all swap, but am not 100%... I know they all have that 'quick release' system, which actually works really well! It's a snap to pop off the visor! I haven't needed to switch or replace my visor, so I haven't looked at any other shields yet though...

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #94
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I do not know what that will do to the finish. Silicon has to cure, why it has that vinegar type smell when you first apply it. That process may ruin the finish on the helmet. This finish is more of a rubberized coating.

I will try to clean the suction cups first and see if that works. I literally pulled em off my old helmet, licked em and applied em to the new one last night. Then I let it sit all night and this morning they did not seem to be stuck that well and I had to leave for work so I did not haev time to mess with it. Fearful I might lose one I just removed them all.

The ears do work though, I get a lot of attention from people about it which means I am seen AND remembered. The tail wags in the wind too
That's awesome! You could always buy new suction cup parts and switch'em. Not sure how they work.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #95
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Holy **** post pictures of helmets
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM   #96
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I am more concerned with the $400 helmet finish than the $2 suction cups. I will email Icon now that I am thinking about it and see what they suggest. The Rubatone finish has caused others problems with some suction mounts it seems.
I was just suggesting new suction cups cause you said they wouldn't stick to your helmet. Are they just bad or is it the finish on the helmet?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #97
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It is the helmet. Icon has this rubber type finish on some helmets called Rubatone. It is on the plain Rubatone (matte) finish as well as the battlescar and possibly others. This is not the shiny slick glass like surface but more like a racket ball.
I see...I think the back of my phone is like that. You got some pics of your tiger helmet?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #98
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

AGV Grid Sun & Moon Helmet

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #99
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
AGV Grid Sun & Moon Helmet

Love this...so I bought it
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #100
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
You serious!!!! I am jealous. I wish I had the money to buy it. But I can't justify spending that much on a helmet right now. Ahhh.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #101
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
Like, just now when that was posted or you have one already?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM   #102
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Like, just now when that was posted or you have one already?
Haha no. I've had it for a couple weeks now.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #103
Jono

Quote:
Here is a video for you then.

Link to original page on YouTube.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yes that is how I felt.

American Dad is pretty funny most of the time.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #104
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

X30.V (my helmet )

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmilchling View Post
I have to say, you have good taste, sir.

(for the record, this is a totally unbiased opinion from another Flying Tiger Vortex owner )

The RSD flash is probably my favorite graphic that I've ever seen on a helmet.
I agree, that's definitively the coolest graphic ever.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM   #105
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
@massacremasses suck it I have the variant and you dont :P
Cause I got this instead. Im happy with my decision.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM   #106
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Springfield XD subcompact .40

For my CCW I have a thread about it d00d

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #107
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Are you a power ranger?
I admit nothing...

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #108
saxnbass

So I'm in the market for a new helmet. Between an RF1100 (couple of different designs), Icon Variant, and the AGV Grid. I know the RF1100 fits me as that's what I had before; I need to go try on the other 2 and see how they fit and feel.

The Sun and Moon AGV posted above

The Hadron 2

Or in white:

Merciless (not a big fan of skulls, but I love that it's matte):

And the Divinity:

I find the coolness in this one on the back:

I can see this Variant being sick looking with a silver chrome (mirrored) visor:

The Arai Vector 2 Marker looks pretty cool too:

Honestly though, I wish there were more matte finished helmets, I love matte finishes.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #109
saxnbass

Yeah, know the Variant comes in matte as well. I had an RF1100 that fit quite well (not sure if it fit perfect, but it was comfortable and fit well), not sure what shape that is and how it compares to the Grid or Variant.

Old March 24th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #110
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@saxnbass the AGV and RF1100 helmet fit very similar. The difference though is that the AGV is a 3 shell helmet where as the RF1100 is a 5 shell. You will find a better fit in the RF1100 for sure.

I almost bought that Sun and Moon helmet when it was released.

I keep going back to the Shoya Tomizawa helmet. It is most likely my next helmet if I can find one at a good price. Im not paying that 899$ premium. lol

I was just looking at some AGV helmets and the Five Continents helmet is now offered in the K3 model (LAME). Time for me to upgrade. LOL
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #111
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Whats wrong with the K3?
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #112
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
Whats wrong with the K3?
Its not the GP-Tech. LOL
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #113
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

I just found this one...

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #114
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
is it light reflective or glow in the dark?
ummm...i think glow in the dark.
Vemar Eclipse Night Vision Helmet

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #115
saxnbass

I searched YouTube and some other parts of the interwebz. Anybody know of any videos that show the new Diabolic Divinity graphic? Also, looking to see if anybody has pics of the Diabolic Divinity and the new Hadron 2 with the dark smoke and the silver chrome (mirror) visors.

Old March 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #116
saxnbass

That top one is not it, but the other is the Hadron 2. I was wanting to see it with a smoke visor and a chrome visor.

Old March 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #117
saxnbass

Ah, well that still leaves a pic of it with the chrome visor.

Old March 25th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #118
saxnbass

I think I'm going to try and hunt down someplace that still has an original Hadron in stock, on sale; I think I'm liking it better than the Hadron 2.

^ Original Hadron; just like the 2, it comes in white on black or black on white.

Edit: Original one in white:

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #119
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #120
saxnbass

Picked up my new helmet today:

Another RF-1100, but this time with a graphics instead of boring plain white. Show from that side cause the other side is where the visor is rashed from the crash, the visor is still totally useable though. I plan to get a chrome visor for it too. There are red metal flakes throughout the paint strategically placed that look AWESOME, I can't get them to show up in any pics though, so you guys will have to go to a place and check it out in person.