ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Arrow Water lovely water

So i have been drinking water from bottles which to my understanding 6-8 water bottles a day isnt that healthy. So i started drinking water from the tap with a filter at the end so im trying to fix my way of hydration.

How do you ninjetters stay hydrated hopefully not from a bowl.

Old September 28th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #2
rusninja

Woops alittle to much of the crack cocane tonight jk jk lol had a mistake alex can you please move to off topic. Since i know you will thanks in advance. :]

Old September 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #3
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

If I'm going anywhere besides work or gym (which have filtered water coolers) I fill a bottle at home and take it with me.

What's unhealthy about bottled water? Certainly no good for the environment if you're going through 8 bottles a day...

Old September 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
If I'm going anywhere besides work or gym (which have filtered water coolers) I fill a bottle at home and take it with me.

What's unhealthy about bottled water? Certainly no good for the environment if you're going through 8 bottles a day...
Well it could be the amount and not the content. It is possible to over-hydrate to the point of death. The US Army found this out the hard way a few years back when a soldier who had all the typical signs of dehydration was made to drink more and more water. He later died because of having thinned out his blood too much with the excessive amounts of water he drank. So it's best to figure out the balance and not go excessive or too light.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

8 bottles of water is not nearly enough to be considered over consumption. Unless it was 8 of those liter bottles and he drank them all within 5 minutes. If anything, most people don't drink enough water throughout the day. That's not to argue against the fact that over-hydration does happen, because obviously that's possible.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
8 bottles of water is not nearly enough to be considered over consumption. Unless it was 8 of those liter bottles and he drank them all within 5 minutes. If anything, most people don't drink enough water throughout the day. That's not to argue against the fact that over-hydration does happen, because obviously that's possible.
Hey, it was just a guess cause I also don't see what the health issue with bottle water is lol.

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I have one of these. I put milk, banana, oats, peanut butter and whey powder in it. That's like 600 calories (tastes orgasmic) so it fills me up and somewhat hydrated. One of the best $9 purchases I've ever made because it's so easy to clean.

I figure on taking it with me in a backpack when I go to work or the gym.

Otherwise I drink a lot of water from the tap after it's been through a Brita filter. I guess a few bottles of water won't hurt. You could buy 32 oz Gatorade in bulk maybe

Old September 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #8
rusninja

I was thinking bpa or something. :P

Old September 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #9
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
I was thinking bpa or something. :P
Yeah. Best to drink out of a bpa free bottle. I've been through about a dozen bottles so far and this is the best one I've found.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan...7258068&sr=8-2

That shaker bottle is good too, but it's not really for water.

Old September 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #10
rusninja

I was just thinking of geting some random stainless steel bottle. :S

Old September 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #11
CynicalC

Steel and aluminum bottles can also have plastic coatings on the inside, so you'll want to make sure those are bpa free as well.

Old September 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #12
CynicalC

This is the stainless version of the excellent bottle I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-18-Oun.../ref=pd_sim_k4

Old September 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Just drink Mountain freakin Dew.

Old September 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #14
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Remember the good ole days when men drank bourbon and beer? Heck I love my wine now. I am just a big pussy.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #15
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

The myth about having to drink 6 or 8 bottles of water a day is just that - a myth, from the water companies trying to sell you those bottles of water, and they have done a really good job at spreading the propaganda. Your body will tell you what you need - it's called thirst. Any extra you take in is peed out, and that's what you are doing to your wallet every time you buy another bottle of water. Now, if you are excersizing heavily or working outside in the hot weather and sweating, then you should drink more. But walking around carrying a water bottle and drinking all day is nuts and accomplishes nothing. How did humans and animals exist before this became a popular fad? And how far away is a water fountain or a faucet? Most of that bottled water actually comes out of a faucet from the public water supply where they bottle it. You want to carry around your own supply, go right ahead, but it's pretty ridiculous. Going for a long bike ride in the wind can get you a little dehydrated so it's not a bad idea to stop and drink every once in a while, but for average everyday activity it's totally unnecessary.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #16
CynicalC

So staying hydrated is a fad now? And I don't think a single person in this thread has made the argument that bottled water is better for you than tap...

Of all the things to preach about, drinking water makes your list?

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #17
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

It's NOT about drinking water, it's about the hype that you MUST have 6-8-whatever bottles a day to stay hydrated. That's wrong, (and is not supported anywhere in any medical literature, and can actually be dangerous to some people, causing hyponatremia, cerebral edema, arrythmias - look it up) but who am I (other than an MD) to argue with you?
And yes, walking around with a water bottle is a fad, and you are sooo much better hydrated too than someone without that bottle. And you never get thirsty, a symptom of mild dehydration, you can just drink whenever you want to avoid that sensation. Pee on.

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #18
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Mom told us kids that you need to drink more water if your pee is yellow

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #19
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
It's NOT about drinking water, it's about the hype that you MUST have 6-8-whatever bottles a day to stay hydrated. That's wrong, (and is not supported anywhere in any medical literature, and can actually be dangerous to some people, causing hyponatremia, cerebral edema, arrythmias - look it up) but who am I (other than an MD) to argue with you?
And yes, walking around with a water bottle is a fad, and you are sooo much better hydrated too than someone without that bottle. And you never get thirsty, a symptom of mild dehydration, you can just drink whenever you want to avoid that sensation. Pee on.
So angry... Over water

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #20
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Sorry for coming on so strong. I went back to delete that last part, but too late. You get my point though.
And urine is normally yellow. Clear is your body getting rid of extra unneeded water out of your vascular system, it's diluting the normal urine. Light yellow is normal, darker, more like orangey, means you need to drink a little more, it's a little too concentrated.
FYI, peeing after drinking beer makes your urine clear because you are getting rid of the extra water from your body and the alcohol interferes with ADH hormone that makes your kidneys hold on to what you need. Alcohol itself is a diuretic and makes you pee and can actually get you a little dehydrated.
Enough, drink to your heart's content, like with everything else, just don't go overboard.

Old September 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #21
sombo

Here, to end the debate here is what the institute of medicine actually says:

Quote:
Dietary Reference Intakes: Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate

Released:
February 11, 2004
Type:
Consensus Report
Topics:
Food and Nutrition, Public Health
Activity:
Dietary Reference Intakes for Electrolytes And Water
Board:
Food and Nutrition Board

The Food and Nutrition Board released the sixth in a series of reports presenting dietary reference values for the intake of nutrients by Americans and Canadians. This new report establishes nutrient recommendations on water, salt and potassium to maintain health and reduce chronic disease risk. Highlights of the report include:

The vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide. The report did not specify exact requirements for water, but set general recommendations for women at approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water -- from all beverages and foods -- each day, and men an average of approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces daily) of total water. The panel did not set an upper level for water.

About 80 percent of people's total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages -- including caffeinated beverages -- and the other 20 percent is derived from food.

Prolonged physical activity and heat exposure will increase water losses and therefore may raise daily fluid needs, although it is important to note that excessive amounts can be life-threatening.

Healthy 19- to 50-year-old adults should consume 1.5 grams of sodium and 2.3 grams of chloride each day -- or 3.8 grams of salt -- to replace the amount lost daily on average through sweat and to achieve a diet that provides sufficient amounts of other essential nutrients.

The tolerable upper intake level (UL) for salt is set at 5.8 grams per day. More than 95 percent of American men and 90 percent of Canadian men ages 31 to 50, and 75 percent of American women and 50 percent of Canadian women in this age range regularly consume salt in excess of the UL.

Older individuals, African Americans, and people with chronic diseases including hypertension, diabetes, and kidney disease are especially sensitive to the blood pressure-raising effects of salt and should consume less than the UL.

Adults should consume at least 4.7 grams of potassium per day to lower blood pressure, blunt the effects of salt, and reduce the risk of kidney stones and bone loss. However, most American women 31 to 50 years old consume no more than half of the recommended amount of potassium, and men's intake is only moderately higher.

There was no evidence of chronic excess intakes of potassium in apparently health individuals and thus no UL was established.

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2004/Diet...d-Sulfate.aspx

Old September 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #22
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

That's also written in Feb. 2004, 7 1/2 years ago, but it stated that thirst should be your guide.
Here's something else I just read, that at least 20% of your daily fluid intake comes from the food you eat, and that if you're urinating at least once every 8 hours, you're hydrated enough. So, if you enjoy urinating, drink more water. Or beer.

Old September 29th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #23
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
That's also written in Feb. 2004, 7 1/2 years ago, but it stated that thirst should be your guide.
Here's something else I just read, that at least 20% of your daily fluid intake comes from the food you eat, and that if you're urinating at least once every 8 hours, you're hydrated enough. So, if you enjoy urinating, drink more water. Or beer.

Yah, I wasn't trying to argue, just putting out the facts as stated by them. If there isn't a newer posting from them it's because they haven't changed their stance on the subject. They won't post a newer article if they are only going to say the same thing.

Old September 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #24
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I have a few containers that I fill up. I have a two-stage filtration system at home that provides awesome drinking water. I have a 40-oz Kleen Kanteen, a nice Brita bottle with built in filter, and a plastic Contigo bottle with trigger. I drink all of those in one day typically.

40 + 24 + 20 = 84-oz a day. Not bad. When I go riding or running, you can tag on another 20-60-oz of water on top of that.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@sombo Your article is wrong. 2.7 litres is way to much for me.

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #26
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I missed the point. Is this thread about water or peeing?

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #27
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Is drinking too much water bad for kidneys as it works harder to get it out as pee?
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
water toxicity has been known for ... a very long time. not "a few years ago". in the more recent years it seems to be common for idiots at raves on drugs to over hydrate and **** themselves up. its not that it "works your kidnees too hard" its that it screws up your electrolyte ballance which causes a bunch of horrible things to happen

i almost lost my kidnees due to extreme dehydration one time... they cut off part of the right one and took samples from the left one.

8 bottles of water per day is a healthy amount of water. and if you are worried about BPA, try taking a sample test of that tap water. those filters don't do a very good job filtering out nuclear byproducts, not to mention the chemicals like chlorine that they intentionally put in the tap water to kill bacteria. did you know that your body is made up of 10 times more bacteria cells vs human cells? and that you are mostly dependant on them? and that drinking chlorinated water, antibiotics, things like that kill that bacteria? chlorine and other antibacterial agents are present and mandated by government. if you want that **** in you, by all means.

i'll stick to my enriched distilled water, thank you very much.

Old November 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #29
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Water sustains life. So drink it. lol

FYI: Too much water can kill by water intoxication / overhydration. Known fact.
But don't freak out.. A LARGE amount of water in a very SHORT period of time can kill you. But there have been documented deaths due to this. There was a lawsuit about a death caused by a contest in which you had to drink too much water in a short time and not pee. A woman died and her family was awarded many million $$$ in that lawsuit.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote