Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old June 20th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

New in Tacoma

The beginning of a new female lone wolf. 1st bike, still in my learning phase of riding on 2 wheels. Looking forward to learning the in's and out's out bike ownership, advice on not killing myself in the process and hopefully will learn how to work on it as well. Kristy
Riding_Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #2
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Riding_Disaster! Glad to have you aboard...
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Hello Kristy, it's good to meet you. Welcome to the board and to motorcycling, and always assume that you are completely invisible when riding, because you might as well be.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Hello fellow Washingtonian Biker Babe

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Kristy!

Being new to riding is one of the best time, good luck and have fun!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riding_Disaster View Post
The beginning of a new female lone wolf. 1st bike, still in my learning phase of riding on 2 wheels. Looking forward to learning the in's and out's out bike ownership, advice on not killing myself in the process and hopefully will learn how to work on it as well. Kristy
You came to the right place Kristie. I've been riding for over 50 years and just bought my 2007 250 Ninja this past March. I learned from this site what it would have taken me 2 or 3 years of ownership to figure out about the bike. Find a large corporate parking lot somewhere and put-put around on that to build confidence. I assume you'll have to obtain a motorcycle license and the parking lot will give you lots of opportunity to practice figure eights and curb to curb circles without having to worry about traffic. Don't drag your feet, loose your bicycle habits. When that bike starts moving - feet on pegs immediately. Resist the temptation to put your feet on the ground the minute you feel insecure. Feet down at a full stop only. Get in the habit of using your front and rear brakes in unison. Your front brake does over 70% of your brakeing in a panic stop. I've purchase used motorcycles where the rear brake was nearly worn out and the front brake was like new. Conversely use, but go easy, on the front brake on gravel and wet road surfaces. Do not ride on the shoulder of the road. Ride as close to the center line as you can which makes cars treat you like another car. I've been passed in my lane by a car because they can get by me. Make them use the oncoming traffic lane to pass. Assume that the guy in the oncoming traffic lane is going to turn in front of you. Assume that the guy at a stop sign is going to pull out in front of you. The car driver's usual response in an auto/motorcycle accident - "I didn't see him." They don't. If you learn to drive defensively it will even make you a better automobile driver. DO NOT GO SIGHT SEEING on a bike. Focus on the road and traffic. Spend much of your learning time on lightly trafficked rural roads and avoid heavy congested roads. If you're walking along and trip and begin to fall forward are you going to place your arms out to break your fall? Of course you will. Did you have to think about extending your arms? No, it was instinctive. The use of the controls on a motorcycle will become instinctive given a-little time. I have a girlfriend who I dated in the 70s who to this day insists I taught her to ride a motorcycle. I did not. No one can teach you to ride like they can to fly an airplane. You start the bike, engage 1st gear, let out the clutch - and your on your own. All anybody can do is watch you. She told me a story that took place about 20 years after she sold her bike. A friend offered he his Harley Sportster to take for a ride. She hopped on and did just that.

Take it easy and have fun. In spite of all that I just said, it is a blast and you'll never feel more independent that when you're riding.

Cheers,

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 20th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #7
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

Thanks everyone for the welcome words! Jim, I have already found the invisible part out. A black bike on the interstate at night has already shown me the thrills and terror of lane sharing at it's best. Throw in some road construction and I would say I am learning quick.

Old June 20th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Welcome Kristy!

Ride careful out there!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 08:02 AM   #9
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Welcome, I lived near Tacoma for 2 yrs. at the sub base..
Still remember the papermill smell.. hills were brutal while cycling..
Good times..
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 09:55 AM   #10
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome! I'm a year and a half into my first bike and it's been awesome!

I agree with a lot of the advice here. Always have a route out of any particular situation. Does that car pull out? Where do you go to stay out of trouble? Patience is very often your friend; give things a moment and something strange will often settle down and behave itself in traffic.

And yes, act as if you're invisible because all too often drivers *don't* see you. Even if they look directly at you.

But dang, bikes are fun.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #11
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old June 30th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

Thanks yall. I appreciate the welcome greetings. Currently the bike is down to 2 nails being in my back tire, 1/8" apart with no heads on them??? It sucks that in a city as big as Tacoma, I can't find a simple rear 130/70-17 tire at ANY of the tire places and have to order one. and installation appointments are required everywhere I have checked. Looks like it will be around the 9th or 10th before I can get one on.

Hopefully I will meet some local riders this summer and get to know some folks in the bike community.

Old July 4th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Hi and welcome!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #15
marbus76
ninjette.org member

Name: DK

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

welcome!
marbus76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #16
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Thanks yall. I appreciate the welcome greetings. Currently the bike is down to 2 nails being in my back tire, 1/8" apart with no heads on them??? It sucks that in a city as big as Tacoma, I can't find a simple rear 130/70-17 tire at ANY of the tire places and have to order one. and installation appointments are required everywhere I have checked. Looks like it will be around the 9th or 10th before I can get one on.

Hopefully I will meet some local riders this summer and get to know some folks in the bike community.
Gawd Kristy, stay away from bikers, they're sleazy people. Haven't you heard?

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

You are probably right, might be best avoiding that. LMAO I'd hate to end up in jail for knocking out some sleazy punk.

I can't run away ... it's only a 24 horsepower.

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #18
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

If you're in Tacoma, I'm in Steilacoom... The three of us should all get together and do some putts sometime. It's better as a group when you are learning. Nothing zany, we just do little fun things when on the 250's

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #19
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Quote:
Try Cycle Gear up next to the Tacoma Mall. They can have you installed quick. Also try South Sound Honda. They'll do it on the spot. If you need a stand while your rear is off, we have one you can borrow.

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #20
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

The Honda place gave me like a 2 week lead time for tire installation when I called them. They said they were booked due to riding season being busy, plus they wanted just under $150 for tire installation. Cycle gear only had a cruiser tire in that size. I ended up ordering a back tire from Summit Racing and it should be here Monday I think and I will find someone to put it on. A guy at work has a nephew who races and is going to try to work me in one weekend for the adjustment. It runs fine but at 14k, I dont think it's ever had one, the previous owner didn't take good care of it.

I'll be on vacation for a couple weeks starting Monday so hopefully I can get the tire on and the valves adjusted and have some free time to get out and practice and learn a bit more. (The turns still scare me ... LOL) It's funny though, cause I know here soon the stuff that I'm scared of the most will be the most fun stuff later on, so I gotta put my big girl panties on and do it, but safely and fully geared, cause I kinda like to have skin.

Old July 14th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #21
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Fully geared- good choice!

Take the turns slowly. Develop good form- where you watch, where you turn in, how much you lean, etc. The speed will come later. Just do it!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #22
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
You came to the right place Kristie. I've been riding for over 50 years and just bought my 2007 250 Ninja this past March. I learned from this site what it would have taken me 2 or 3 years of ownership to figure out about the bike. Find a large corporate parking lot somewhere and put-put around on that to build confidence. I assume you'll have to obtain a motorcycle license and the parking lot will give you lots of opportunity to practice figure eights and curb to curb circles without having to worry about traffic. Don't drag your feet, loose your bicycle habits. When that bike starts moving - feet on pegs immediately. Resist the temptation to put your feet on the ground the minute you feel insecure. Feet down at a full stop only. Get in the habit of using your front and rear brakes in unison. Your front brake does over 70% of your brakeing in a panic stop. I've purchase used motorcycles where the rear brake was nearly worn out and the front brake was like new. Conversely use, but go easy, on the front brake on gravel and wet road surfaces. Do not ride on the shoulder of the road. Ride as close to the center line as you can which makes cars treat you like another car. I've been passed in my lane by a car because they can get by me. Make them use the oncoming traffic lane to pass. Assume that the guy in the oncoming traffic lane is going to turn in front of you. Assume that the guy at a stop sign is going to pull out in front of you. The car driver's usual response in an auto/motorcycle accident - "I didn't see him." They don't. If you learn to drive defensively it will even make you a better automobile driver. DO NOT GO SIGHT SEEING on a bike. Focus on the road and traffic. Spend much of your learning time on lightly trafficked rural roads and avoid heavy congested roads. If you're walking along and trip and begin to fall forward are you going to place your arms out to break your fall? Of course you will. Did you have to think about extending your arms? No, it was instinctive. The use of the controls on a motorcycle will become instinctive given a-little time. I have a girlfriend who I dated in the 70s who to this day insists I taught her to ride a motorcycle. I did not. No one can teach you to ride like they can to fly an airplane. You start the bike, engage 1st gear, let out the clutch - and your on your own. All anybody can do is watch you. She told me a story that took place about 20 years after she sold her bike. A friend offered he his Harley Sportster to take for a ride. She hopped on and did just that.

Take it easy and have fun. In spite of all that I just said, it is a blast and you'll never feel more independent that when you're riding.

Cheers,

Bill
headlight modulator/rear brake flasher helps too. welcome kristy

Old July 19th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #23
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

I got the tire replaced and I'm rolling again yall. Glad to be back on the road!