ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 24th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #41
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikRox View Post
lol exactly ramjet! corn alcohol is for drinking, water is for bathing. all this ethenol trip is about is selling unused crap farmers have laying around to boost profits for fuel manufacturers. it doesnt *do* anything good for non-flex fuel vehicles. its basically just 10% cut. its like going to mc donnalds and getting 10% snouts and entrails in your nuggets because they couldn't get rid of it elsewhere and it allows mc squirts to sell more nuggets. we're getting 10% ****ed at the pump. or 1 dollar out of 10 goes to nothing. or 10% of my tank is filled with CRAP. which is my real issue.
Amen. How did this alcohol get into our gasoline in the first place? The EPA, tree huggers, USDA? If we are now exporters of fossil fuel it's hard to justify trying to stretch a gallon of gasoline by adding alcohol. We can't go back because of the industry we've built around alcohol production. "There's a monster on the loose, it's got our heads into a noose, and it just sits there watching"

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #42
arnvc
ninjette.org member

Name: ar

Motorcycle(s): ex250

when my 250 had fuel? problems I'd add some "Ethanol Shield" , haven't had the run on 1 cylinder, refuse to run over an idle problem ever again. you might have to drain the float bowels to clean oot marginal fuel so it will come to life. I get my"e s" at local m/c shop, home depot ,lowes, have it. Am sure auto parts have it also
arnvc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #43
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnvc View Post
you might have to drain the float bowels to clean oot marginal fuel so it will come to life.
I'm detecting a Canadian accent there.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #44
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm detecting a Canadian accent there.
Hoser.

Old July 24th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #45
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I wish we had E85 more readily available, it is brilliant in boosted applications.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #46
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
I wish we had E85 more readily available, it is brilliant in boosted applications.
E85 is now known as ethanol flex fuel here in the U.S and contains 51% to 83% ethanol. You might as well convert all of your carburetor and petcock "O" rings for use with alcohol, run pure methanol and punch your compression ratio up to 12.5:1 and rejet your carburetor. Your engine will run a-lot cooler. And the price per gallon of pure methanol is only $1.13 (USD)/gallon here.

When you say "boosted" applications are you referring to supercharging? Heck, throw in 5% nitro-methane and let the good time roll.

Bill

Old July 25th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #47
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
E85 is now known as ethanol flex fuel here in the U.S and contains 51% to 83% ethanol. You might as well convert all of your carburetor and petcock "O" rings for use with alcohol, run pure methanol and punch your compression ratio up to 12.5:1 and rejet your carburetor. Your engine will run a-lot cooler. And the price per gallon of pure methanol is only $1.13 (USD)/gallon here.

When you say "boosted" applications are you referring to supercharging? Heck, throw in 5% nitro-methane and let the good time roll.

Bill
By boosted I mean turbo, if E85 was readily available I would drop some coin and get supporting mods and get a flex fuel conversion done on my car where I could run anything from 98 to E70/E85, I could get more power with less boost on E85 and as you stated run cooler.

The lowest I've seen E85 here is 70%.

I believe it's not worth the trouble in running E85 or methanol in my bike as I use it as daily transport, it would be more cost effective to sell the 250 and buy a bigger bike.

Sadly E85 or methanol is not cheap here, but in saying that I care not for the extra cost as the benifits of E85 outweigh the cost.

Old July 25th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #48
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
By boosted I mean turbo, if E85 was readily available I would drop some coin and get supporting mods and get a flex fuel conversion done on my car where I could run anything from 98 to E70/E85, I could get more power with less boost on E85 and as you stated run cooler.

The lowest I've seen E85 here is 70%.

I believe it's not worth the trouble in running E85 or methanol in my bike as I use it as daily transport, it would be more cost effective to sell the 250 and buy a bigger bike.

Sadly E85 or methanol is not cheap here, but in saying that I care not for the extra cost as the benifits of E85 outweigh the cost.
Are you saying you run a mix of 70%/30% ethanol/gasoline in your Ninja? I really don't know squat about gasoline - I only what I've read. All I know is that my bike doesn't run well without it.

Cheers,

Bill

Old July 25th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #49
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Are you saying you run a mix of 70%/30% ethanol/gasoline in your Ninja? I really don't know squat about gasoline - I only what I've read. All I know is that my bike doesn't run well without it.

Cheers,

Bill
Na mate, ninja is straight 98.

The 70% to 85% is from mates who run E85 in their cars, they run ethanol content sensors which allow the ECU to map for ethanol content and adjust the tune to suit.

Even when the ethanol is on the low side, 70%, they still make a good deal of more power over straight 98.

Only down side is needing to change you oil more frequently.

But again the benifits are worth the slight cost of the shorter maintanance intervals.

My only problem is the lack of suppliers, and carrying jerries and storing drums is not a option for me at this stage.