ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Oil Filter Aggravation

So since my local small engine shop (where I get K&N) is closed after work and the dealer is closed today. I go to NAPA and get a PS4941. I then go to walmart to get Rotella Syn. They don't have it at my walmart. While in the car I open the oil filter. The filter is stamped with part number PS4941 but the o-rings (which aren't in a package) are are both large and almost the same size as each other. At least one of them must be wrong.

On the way back to work I stop by pep boys and get the Rotella T6 syn for $19.99. I believe that is their latest version. I will search other threads to be sure.

I decide to grab a purolator ML16812 while there. Like an idiot I don't think to open the box. When I get to work I open it. The filter and oring package say MF012. And the filter is larger than the PS4941. MF012 is 2 1/4" tall by 3" wide, while PF4941 is 2 1/8" tall and 2 1/8" wide

Now I am like what the heck do I have here and is any of it usable. If I have to go buy a 3rd filter tomorrow I will scream. Guess I won't know until I get home and try to match things up to whats in the bike now.

And of course neither NAPA nor Pep Boys had a close fit on the crush washer.

Last futzed with by backinthesaddleagain; March 23rd, 2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: more info
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #2
backinthesaddleagain

Went back to pep boys. Looks like all of the filter are stamped with a different part nbr. Does anyone have an unused filter they can measure? Though I will probably drain the oil and pull the filter tonight. If filters and orings are wrong then hit dealer tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
backinthesaddleagain

Went back to pep boys. Looks like all of the filter are stamped with a different part nbr. Does anyone have an unused filter they can measure? Though I will probably drain the oil and pull the filter tonight. If filters and orings are wrong then hit dealer tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

That's a lot of hassle just to buy an oil filter. Do you have a local Cycle Gear? They carry the K&N for our bikes.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Well I was impatient and monday local store and dealer are closed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I make it a habit now to open the box to make sure the filter matches what is says on the box and that the o-rings are there.

Good luck in your search.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I have a Fram CH6012, which has the proper O rings and is known to fit. It measures 3 inches in diameter and 2 1/4 tall.

The filter and the oring package are stamped MF012, just like your Purolator

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:25 PM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
I have a Fram CH6012, which has the proper O rings and is known to fit. It measures 3 inches in diameter and 2 1/4 tall.

Thanks Thomas (Banzai). The MF012 aka Purolator ML16812 was a perfect match (filter and o-rings) to the K&N I pulled out of the bike. Guessing Purolator and Fram are made by same manufacturer???

The NAPA PS4941 was the wrong size (filter and o-rings). I believe Sam (G21-30) also pointed this out in a previous post.

Reused the crush washer for the first time as it didnt look that bad. Not a financial decision, but rather 3 auto parts stores had nothing the same size or material. Now how many OCD times will I be looking under the bike for an oil leak.

Last futzed with by backinthesaddleagain; March 22nd, 2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: more info

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Interesting that some other bike forums have threads where the NAPA PS4941 is the wrong size and has the wrong o-rings. Went to their website clicked on the 4941 and it has the proper measurements and o-rings look right (one big, one small). Maybe some other filters got stamped 4941 and put in a 4941 box. BTW the box was much too big for the filter.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #10
kkim

lol... somebody asleep at the oil filter factory?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM   #11
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

I've used the NAPA PS4941 my last two oil changes, it's been fine. Both times it's had the correct O-rings for the baseplate and the bolt.
I did not measure them, but the 1/8" tall difference you are measuring would be no big deal the spring will take up the slack. As long as the inner diameter of the rubber grommets are the right size for the bolt it will work.
I know when I last changed mine the spring must have collapsed 1/4" or more.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken08Ninja View Post
I've used the NAPA PS4941 my last two oil changes, it's been fine. Both times it's had the correct O-rings for the baseplate and the bolt.
I did not measure them, but the 1/8" tall difference you are measuring would be no big deal the spring will take up the slack. As long as the inner diameter of the rubber grommets are the right size for the bolt it will work.
I know when I last changed mine the spring must have collapsed 1/4" or more.
The width of the filter I got was more concerning before I got the filter home, but most concerning is the narrow hole in the middle of the filter, too narrow for the filter bolt - and then again the wrong o-rings. Perhaps the filter I have is a bit smaller in order to fit some other models as well, but the NAPA website lists it as being pretty close if not the same size as K&N, Puro, etc, but defnitely not the one I got. I guess as long as you open the box before leaving the store that is the best thing as the problem has been reported in other bike forums.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM   #13
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I've used both the napa PS4941 and the Fram CH6012 and they both are the right size.

Did you take the PS4941 back to Napa? Tell them to look into it. If they find more mispackaged filters, they can charge them back to their supplier, and get replacements.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
I've used both the napa PS4941 and the Fram CH6012 and they both are the right size.

Did you take the PS4941 back to Napa? Tell them to look into it. If they find more mispackaged filters, they can charge them back to their supplier, and get replacements.
no, not yet. I should be able to get my money back as i have the receipt and the box. The filter is stamped PS4941 and if they pull it up on their computer they will see the measurements are different than what I have and the o-rings don't look like the picture.

Probably something that happens all the time. If hospitals can operate on the wrong side of someone, then someone can mark a filter with the wrong part number and put it in the wrong box.

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

I just picked up a K&N from cycle gear today, it cost me almost $11. Thats more than I spent on two qts of rotella.

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

My local small engine shop was 6.95, now 7.95 for the K&N.

Old March 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #17
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post

My local Wal-Marts have stopped carrying the CH6012.

Fortunately, Discount Auto Parts had one. And I mean just one.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #18
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
My local small engine shop was 6.95, now 7.95 for the K&N.
Thats still a good price, even 11 is a good price compared to what the dealer charged me for the oil filter on my first oil change. They charged me 10 for the filter and 7 for the gaskets that come with every other oil filter. Did I mention they charged me 217 dollars for the oil change. Yeah I was going through some old paperwork last night, and I got mad all over again.

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #19
riiken
Late Bloomer

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Bikes-less :(

I bought a pack of WIX 24941 filters on RockAuto.com. With shipping, it came out to $5.86 a filter.
riiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #20
Jankee
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 Ninja 250R

just put a "Wixer" 24941 in my 2010 250, it worked like a charm, 7.49 at the local auto shop...highly recommended.