ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

So I finally fell...

1st, let me just say that I was not wearing my jacket (I know, dumb on my part, but the heat was crazy), yet managed to walk away w/o any scars.

Was on my way home and we just got a tad bit of rain. Well...enough to get the dirt and oil to pose a threat. Trying my best to keep a safe distance from the cars and leave room open for an exit. The pick-up truck in front of me slammed on it's brakes. He did so because he noticed some construction being done in our lane. With that being said, to my left were a bunch of cars still moving @ about 35mph. To my right were parked cars and a huge hole in the street. Well, I squeezed the front brake, and locked up the rear brake. I tried my best to keep it locked until I stopped...but trying not to rear end the truck, i steered to the right a bit, and I started fish tailing like crazy. With my left foot on the ground trying to keep some balance, eventually I high-sided to the right. Felt like I was in the air for a second or two, but when i hit the ground, i didn't resist, just slid a bit and rolled along. I heard my bike hit the ground, and that was the worst sound I've EVER heard!

The guy in the truck stopped and made sure I was alright. Front right blinker is busted, and now when I try to signal a right turn, the rear light stays solid yellow instead of blinking. Few scratches on the fairing and mirror. Gonna need new handlebars, as the right side is bent

Here's a vid of the damage (minus the blinker issue). Sorry for the language, It's not too bad, but if you don't want to hear it, I'd advise pressing mute.

Link to original page on YouTube.

All in all, I've no one to blame but myself.
1. For not wearing proper gear
2. I should've been more alert of what was ahead.
3. Should've been going slower and let others go around.

ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Same thing happened to me last year on my 250r. I swear I was ready to go down when the bike slid but somehow I managed to pull the bike straight up.
So now, I always keep a safe distance and try to avoid the domino effect and look 1 or 2 cars ahead of the one in front of me. That way I brake before the car in front of me starts to brake.
The most important thing is that you were ok.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Good story! Your rear turn signal will be OK once you fix the front one.

I hope you learned your lesson. Now no more crashing!

Old August 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

Lesson learned indeed guys.
I was doing about 40mph

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Good video, body damage not super bad but I can't imagine how sick you must feel. You should be able to pick up some bars on ebay as well as a turn signal.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Ross, I'm glad you're okay, even without your jacket. Road rash HURTS!

I've been very lucky, so far, and haven't ever had to do even a real quick stop. I'm a very conservative rider, though. Okay, I'm like old-lady-on-a-moped-conservative. Every time I think I might want to try and get a little more "fancy", I worry more about messing up and damaging my bike, more than myself! 'Course, I'm straight-up ATGATT, every ride.

Lucky you. Boo-hoo for your bike, though.

Old August 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Good you are okay, and the bike doesnt seem much hurt either. I know it sucks to drop a new bike, but all one can do is to try learning from it so it wont happen again.

I had my first drop a week ago or so, a big crack in the road my front tire got stuck in, and led me right out in the ditch. I was standing screaming and swearing by the road, not because i was hurt, but because i had dropped my precious bike

You probably have done this already, but if you havent, go over the bike with some polish to get the dirt out of the stripes/scratches. I was lucky and i couldnt even see the stripes when i got the dirt out of them, was only in the clearcoating.

You might get abit shaken up in the next few weeks, but the only thing you can do is to get back on the road and practice again, and the fun will come back
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #8
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Yea...good that you are ok! No gear....you's a silly man! Bike is not too seriously damaged and that's great. Looks like not too much more than a rough drop. Quick and easy fixes on ebay. Hope you get what you need and next time...have your damn gear on!
meeshee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
Ross, I'm glad you're okay, even without your jacket. Road rash HURTS!

I've been very lucky, so far, and haven't ever had to do even a real quick stop. I'm a very conservative rider, though. Okay, I'm like old-lady-on-a-moped-conservative. Every time I think I might want to try and get a little more "fancy", I worry more about messing up and damaging my bike, more than myself! 'Course, I'm straight-up ATGATT, every ride.

Lucky you. Boo-hoo for your bike, though.
You know, I was like "how in the world does she know my name?" then I remembered that it's under my avatar :P Glad to hear you haven't had to make such a stop yet. And i'm going to be ATGATT more than likely now ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
I had my first drop a week ago or so, a big crack in the road my front tire got stuck in, and led me right out in the ditch. I was standing screaming and swearing by the road, not because i was hurt, but because i had dropped my precious bike

You probably have done this already, but if you havent, go over the bike with some polish to get the dirt out of the stripes/scratches. I was lucky and i couldnt even see the stripes when i got the dirt out of them, was only in the clearcoating.
Real talk, my front tire hit a pretty big crack on the highway when I first got the bike, luckily it didn't get caught, but I got super paranoid Couldn't find the polish for the love of me anywhere in the garage, then it pops up this morning.

Oh...and i burnt one of my pancakes writing u guys back, still taste good though

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #10
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You lucked out... The damage is not too bad at all. Levers are cheap and once you fix the blinker the rear will work fine. Blinkers cost about 40 bucks. The scratches are near unnoticable from 10 feet away. Lucky! Very Lucky!

I'm glad you're not too bashed up. Get that blinker fixed and get back on that horse.

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #11
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

My high side resulted in much more damage to all the same parts - you lucked out on both fronts - self and bike.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

considering your title is "finally fell" i'm guessing its your first time. it happens so don't beat yourself up too much over it. the good thing is that you're not hurt too much and you actually got up and walked away from it all. it could have been soooooo much worse. Above all, you have learned a lesson you probably wouldn't have learned if you didn't go through this. I'm glad you're ok.

ATGATT
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #13
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Seeing all these posts lately about accidents has me worried.

Glad you're alright.

Guess these posts serve as a reminder to all to always be careful.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote