ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Jimboslice32
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Textile vs. Mesh Jackets

First off, which is a better fabric: textile, or mesh? I will be purchasing a jacket soon and have not decided which to go with. From what I have researched, Textile jackets offer great protection compared to mesh jackets; however, they do not have stellar ventilation (from what I have read). I have no clue either way. So, anyone who has worn or is experienced with these types of jackets please comment and let me know your opinion!

Thank you!
Jimboslice32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Textile should have better abrasion resistance. I'd suggest Leather though. Once you're moving heat isn't much of an issue.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Textile should have better abrasion resistance. I'd suggest Leather though. Once you're moving heat isn't much of an issue.
+1 leather is the way to go, I use a leather/textile hybrid jacket which I use even on the hottest summer days here in Vegas which easily get over 110 and textile pants which I have yet to try in the summer. Breathing is all in how they design the product really, sometimes textiles can breath just fine, other times they don't at all. Often times zippers are included to increase air flow over key areas, just check out reviews and talk to people to see how well they really work.

Old March 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, James

For humid-hot / rainy-windy Florida, I would recommend textile (Cordura) with ballistic nylon reinforcements and CE approved protectors for elbows, shoulders, spine-kidneys, hips and knees.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Dude in florida save yourself the grief and get a mesh. Mesh with ce rated armor will be fine for normal day in day out riding. The mesh is a one crash deal as it shreads itself as it slides.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I used a Tourmaster Flex jacket. It's both. You can ride around with mesh or add the textile. Each layer has it's own reflective piping, pockets, and TourMaster logo, etc, so it's almost literally like having two jackets. It also has a third insulation layer that you can add/remove.

My collar is getting a little ratty so I'm considering ordering another when it comes time to replace it. Yes, I liked it THAT much!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Leather is always the best bet (although I don't own any), textile is pretty good at protection, wearing mesh is better than no gear but not as good as the others. I personally don't wear leather, 'cause I get super hot REAL fast, I usually wear a textile but if its REALLY hot (which is never in W.A) then I wear my mesh which feels like I have nothing on 'cause air flows through soo nice
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6420

This is a good compromise jacket as well. Its the one i use to commute in it has a windbreaker liner and a quilted vest liner for when its cool out. The sleeves can be zipped off and its mesh under it. With the textile sleves on there are two big intake vents on the front and a large exhaust vent across the back. The textile is strong i have hit the ground twice in mine and it has held up fine. The sippers are not the best on this one but not the worst. I have been using mine as a daily jacket/comuter jacket for close to two years now.

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Havok
Internet Slut

Here is a solid mesh jacket

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=14371

I am a big fan of the Speed and Strength gear. There prices are reasonable, the gear is solidly made and every year they upgrade and improve the gear (the new stuff comes with knox armor ect.) and yet keep the prices down. Good gear for all riding needs. Best value brand around that is for sure.

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
I am a big fan of the Speed and Strength gear. There prices are reasonable, the gear is solidly made and every year they upgrade and improve the gear (the new stuff comes with knox armor ect.) and yet keep the prices down. Good gear for all riding needs. Best value brand around that is for sure.
I have the Twist of Fate, and after 2 seasons, it's still really sturdy. I want the new Twist of Fate 2.0 in white. It has a knox spine protector even! same price as mine was 2 years ago when I bought it
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I have the Twist of Fate, and after 2 seasons, it's still really sturdy. I want the new Twist of Fate 2.0 in white. It has a knox spine protector even! same price as mine was 2 years ago when I bought it
I want the run with the bulls textile for my next commuter jacket.

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I have all three types (Leather AGV, Mesh Cortech GX-Air and Textile Icon Ti-Max) and I tend to lean towards the mesh more because it provides superior ventilation, which I'm grateful for in the hot, sticky humidity of Mobile (which I'm sure you can relate to ). As far as protection goes, leather is undoubtedly the best but you can make compromises like I do...for instance, my mesh has leather components complemented with CE armor on the vulnerable areas of your body (shoulders, arms, back). Choose wisely and happy riding
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #13
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I live in Barbados and ride almost exclusively in mesh gear. Generally speaking mesh gear is not as good in a getoff as textile, which is not as good as leather. Leather here just isn't an option, as I have to work after getting off the bike and don't want to be a sweaty mess.

But leather isn't the only good protective option. Buy good quality mesh gear and you can have leather-strength abrasion resistance and top of the line impact protection. I ride in a Teiz one piece (1200D cordura) and in REV'IT Turbine gear. Both I'm totally comfortable with, despite being a bit of a safety nut. The REV'IT stuff uses high impact dynex mesh, SAS-TEC pads and superfabric that makes it absolutely bombproof. And it is cool as a summer's breeze.

But that level of protection is not usual.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Just like perforated leather is still leather, mesh is still textile, just with a lot of tiny holes in it.

Plenty of people (myself included) went down in mesh/textile had came out unscathed. The higher the "D", the stronger the material. 680D will offer better protection than 500D.

In general, textile won't be as good as leather, however it depends on your situation. If you primarily do city riding (sub 45mph) you'll see little, if any, difference between textile and leather in a get off.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

There's no way I could ride in leather in the middle of the summer time here. Our summers are way too humid for my tastes. You don't want to risk overheating and having a heat stroke on your bike. I go with a mesh jacket that has armour and leather padding for the shoulders and elbows. That zips together with my textile overpants which have zip-out mesh panels.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Jimboslice32
ninjette.org member

I agree with all of you! I live in Florida and it can get nasty. I will be riding my bike primarily for commuting so I will need a jacket that can protect me; however, provide excellent ventilation. If not, I'll be sweaty for work,school, etc.. Thank you all for your input I appreciate it very much!

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM   #17
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Jimboslice,

I have perforated leather and last year I was full of sweat every time I arrived home. I would leave work at 4:30pm and be home by 5pm in a 12 mile ride that is full of traffic lights. I live in Georgia so my climate is not too far from yours. I think the leather would be OK if and only if you don't have to stop often. The hardest part is that I can't exactly wash my leather jacket every week so that sweat accumulates and eventually it will stink. I rode one day without any gear and it was 99 degrees outside. By the time I was home I was full of sweat also. The leather wasn't what was making me sweat, it was the temperature. I would definitely recommend you go with mesh for this summer. Keep in mind when it gets cooler you will need a warmer jacket, especially if you ride during the so called winter we have.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Jimboslice32
ninjette.org member

Yes, the heat is unbearable in the summer! From what I have read, my best bet is to buy a mesh jacket for the summer heat and a leather/textile jacket for the winter months. I don't live very far from work or school, so I will have a short commute. I should be fine if I get a mesh jacket. I'm just hoping the ventilation is as great as everyone has made it out to be. Thanks for your input!

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I think you should get a couple jackets for weather variations

Get a leather or nice textile for cool/ wet or normal windy days and grab a nice mesh

I also have a icon timax (extremely breathable )
Mesh is great for those hot steamy sweat inducing days . I don't like to sweat in my leather jacket ....
As far as breath ability goes . My timax breaths better than the t shirt I wear under it .

Just make sure it has all the right protection stuff

Pads and abrasion resistant areas
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Don't forget that some mesh jackets may also include multiple liners which can help cover variable weather conditions. My Cortech mesh jacket includes a separate wind/water resistant liner and a separate thermal liner. You're basically covered for three seasons, although I do still have a leather jacket that I bought before I got my mesh jacket. It's great being able to throw the water resistant liner into your backpack just in case when you see that the forecast calls for a chance of rain. In early spring or late fall, we get chilly mornings followed by warm afternoons so I wear the jacket with the thermal liner for the morning commute and zip it out for the afternoon commute home.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM   #21
nealt
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Also there's a difference in strength between polyester and nylon, with nylon being stronger. ie 500d poly is not as strong as 500d nylon that's why you frequently see 600 - 650d poly jackets as they probably equal 500d nylon.
That being said, in either mesh or textile get the highest denier count you can afford.
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM   #22
j4zb4
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Husain

Motorcycle(s): Pulsar 220, Ninjette

The ICON Compound is a good option too...

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=14603
j4zb4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM   #23
Gaige
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
The ICON Compound is a good option too...

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=14603
Sorry about the bump but didn't want to make a new topic =x

I just ordered the Icon Compound Mesh (Paid $100 on Amazon) and I'm hoping it'll suit my needs. It almost always triple digits here (from May to October I'd say) but we don't get much humidity. I hope I made a wise decision ;o
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #24
BLUEONION
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): ninja250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaige View Post
Sorry about the bump but didn't want to make a new topic =x

I just ordered the Icon Compound Mesh (Paid $100 on Amazon) and I'm hoping it'll suit my needs. It almost always triple digits here (from May to October I'd say) but we don't get much humidity. I hope I made a wise decision ;o
For me, it came down to the Compound and Joe Rocket Reactor for the hot California heat which can reach up to 108 degrees +.

Let us know how your jacket look and feel.
BLUEONION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i would never wear mesh gear. it doesn't protect you from anything. perfed leather for me.

Old January 4th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #26
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i would never wear mesh gear. it doesn't protect you from anything. perfed leather for me.
Not even a mesh thong?

How long till your back is fixed?

Old January 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
8 cycles at least.

Old January 4th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #28
Gaige
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
It routinely gets into the 110s and 120s here during the summer though and stays triple digits even after dark. I'd probably die of heat stroke in a full leather jacket!

I just figured the one I ordered was better than wearing no jacket at all ><
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #29
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
8 cycles at least.
Hopefully that don't take long, being down with a thrown back ain't no good from what I've heard an seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaige View Post
It routinely gets into the 110s and 120s here during the summer though and stays triple digits even after dark. I'd probably die of heat stroke in a full leather jacket!

I just figured the one I ordered was better than wearing no jacket at all ><
I wear a super light mesh jacket when it's super hot out... Anyone that gears up says it maybe a bit better than a Tshirt

Old January 4th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #30
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
If you find yourself riding in anything above 93*F, I highly recommend reading this article. At those really high temps, air flow is actually heating your body, not cooling it.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

(Personal experience when I rode through Death Valley last August. It was seriously cooler to put on my solid jacket vs leaving the mesh open.)
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i dump a water bottle down my shirt. takes half an hour to fully evaporate in 100+ temps and does a great job cooling. the leather keeps it in nicely and keeps it from evaporating too quickly. state change vests are also great. but seriously the difference between no gear and mesh gear is not much.

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #32
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I have 3 pairs of riding pants, 1 perf leather, 1textile, and 1 mesh. The only one I hope I NEVER crash in is the mesh one.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #33
Treosfnb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): None atm :(

I have a tourmaster draft, its textile with large mesh spots throughout. I found it comfortable to walk around in even in 90 degree weather. I dropped a bike at low speed while wearing one and honestly didn't feel a thing, jacket wasn't damaged either.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
heres a link to the jacket btw
Treosfnb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #34
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
I was wearing my mesh Icon when I high sided my ninjette.... my crash was mild but the jacket certainly did protect me.

I certainly agree that Leather is the best option and really the buck stops there for real protection .....But real world I am not going to wear leathers every day.

so Mesh is better than nothing just not as good as the best!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #35
JonR
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboslice32 View Post
I agree with all of you! I live in Florida and it can get nasty. I will be riding my bike primarily for commuting so I will need a jacket that can protect me; however, provide excellent ventilation. If not, I'll be sweaty for work,school, etc.. Thank you all for your input I appreciate it very much!
I live in south Florida. My first jacket was a Dainese Aspide. It's textile and I wore it throughout last summer. It's well ventilated but I do get hot and sweat a lot. I may pick up a mesh for the upcoming summer. I can kind of justify the decrease in protection with the absence of New York, New Jersey, and Quebec drivers.

I also have a leather I wear now that it's cooler out.

At the end of the day though, it's still Florida. You can sweat your ass off walking down the street in shorts and a t-shirt in the middle of summer. You're not going to avoid getting sweaty riding around on a hot engine.

Wearing moisture wicking stuff under your gear helps a lot too. I wear Under Armour socks, boxer briefs, and t-shirts when I ride. It's much more comfortable and cooler than cotton.
JonR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #36
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Base layers are your best friend.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S.../41713_59409_2

Put it on right under your (textile) leather jacket, and it really does make a difference. Your sweat will help cool you down. And on days when it's realllllllly hot, pour some water over it like alex.s suggested. Magic.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #37
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
wow 2 years old here!

by the way, leather is the best option.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #38
waynethomas
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Wayne Thomas

Motorcycle(s): none yet

I wear a motorcycle mesh jacket when it's super hot out... Anyone that gears up says it maybe a bit better than Textile jacket. So Mesh is better than nothing just not as good as the best!

Motorcycle Mesh Jackets

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #40
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Surprised no one has mentioned Kevlar mesh gear. Highly abrasion resistant, yet allows a decent amount of air flow. IMO, a much better option than leather in hot, humid, environments.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote