ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Gurr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gurr

Motorcycle(s): 88 250r, 02 klr650

Gurr's 1988 250 Rust Rocket

I just joined and thought I would post a build thread here as I move along in this project. I was glad to find a forum with consistent activity. I have other project vehicles in the Toyota realm and for those I typically post in Ih8mud. For this bike I thought I would create an account here.

Got this from a friend that parked it awhile ago, sounded like she got it, had some work done and it ran funny, so she parked it. Wasn't sure how long it had been until I pulled the battery and saw a 2013 date of install.

We opened the gas tank and it looked pretty rusty, but she needed it out of the spot it was in so I took it home.

It's just been sitting in the back of the truck, and I finally started to look at it and doing things here and there.

Pulled off the gas tank and pulled off the cap and petcock. Ordered some concentrated acetic acid, all I need is some distilled water to dilute it and let it sit in the tank for a bit.

Obligatory pics included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200414_171516.jpg (206.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200416_173813.jpg (57.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200503_121230.jpg (73.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200503_121304.jpg (162.1 KB, 8 views)
Gurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2020, 03:39 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, tank doesn't look too bad. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2020, 12:33 AM   #3
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Here's good comparison review.

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:16 PM   #4
Gurr
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for that Danny, it's cool to see the difference in products.

I've always been a fan of what vinegar can do and I was excited to give it a shot. I ended up getting some glacial acetic acid to dilute for the tank cleaning. Worked pretty well. I just cleaned it out earlier today.

An important step in this whole thing is to flush it out and pour some baking soda/powder in the tank to neutralize the acid and prevent any flash rusting. Then just dry it out (I have a heat gun at home) and it should be ready to go.

Nice clean innards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200510_171359.jpg (117.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200510_170127.jpg (229.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200510_171404.jpg (217.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200510_171613.jpg (73.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200510_171618.jpg (41.5 KB, 2 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:26 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Awesome job!!! How long did you soak it?

Another method I wanted to try is electrolysis. Tank on a pre-gen I got was severely rusted. Ended up going with different tank that popped up on Craigslist. Rust-free but needed fairing bolt-hole repair.

Old May 25th, 2020, 10:51 AM   #6
Gurr
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Awesome job!!! How long did you soak it?

Another method I wanted to try is electrolysis. Tank on a pre-gen I got was severely rusted. Ended up going with different tank that popped up on Craigslist. Rust-free but needed fairing bolt-hole repair.
I soaked it for 3 or 4 days. With a stronger acid, it could be shorter, but I was in no rush. I had to wait for a battery to show up and charge it. I've always wanted to try electrolysis as well. Someday!

Currently, the bike is out of the truck. I was able to start it up after that tank clean and petcock rebuilt. Unfortunately, it won't stay running. Starts and will stay running with the choke on, but once the choke is off, it just cuts out. Even after warming up. I might try just starting and running for several minutes every day to see if it blasts out whatever's going on, but something more involved may be needed.

Anyone know what the next step would be if that doesn't work? I'm worried it's double carb rebuild time. I tried to do a less involved cleaning by spraying carb cleaner into the fuel line, opening up the bowl drain plugs and blasting with some compressed air. Definitely got some crap out of there and I was just kind of hoping that would work. Any further thoughts? Does this sound like something that could be handled with a tuning or does this sound more like a bad diaphragm in the carb that has to get replaced?

Edit: I did just find this thread with a quick search. It does sound like I have to pull them off. Also, where are some common vacuum leak areas?

Last futzed with by Gurr; May 25th, 2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Did a search on the issue

Old May 25th, 2020, 02:49 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurr View Post
Currently, the bike is out of the truck. I was able to start it up after that tank clean and petcock rebuilt. Unfortunately, it won't stay running. Starts and will stay running with the choke on, but once the choke is off, it just cuts out. Even after warming up. I might try just starting and running for several minutes every day to see if it blasts out whatever's going on, but something more involved may be needed.

Anyone know what the next step would be if that doesn't work? I'm worried it's double carb rebuild time. I tried to do a less involved cleaning by spraying carb cleaner into the fuel line, opening up the bowl drain plugs and blasting with some compressed air. Definitely got some crap out of there and I was just kind of hoping that would work. Any further thoughts? Does this sound like something that could be handled with a tuning or does this sound more like a bad diaphragm in the carb that has to get replaced?

Edit: I did just find this thread with a quick search. It does sound like I have to pull them off. Also, where are some common vacuum leak areas?
There's two possibilities:

1. petcock flow - remove fuel-hose from carb-inlet and aim into measuring cup. Apply at least 10-in.Hg vacuum to petcock and measure petrol flow into cup for 30-seconds. You can suck on vacuum-hose and hold with tongue, use syringe or vacuum-tester with gauge (my preference). How much did petcock flow in that time? If we can rule-out petcock...

2. carbs - unfortunately, carb-cleaner spray nowadays has no strong cutting agents. It's just weak carrier solvents. So any dried petrol varnish won't be removed. You'll need mechanical scrubbing, ultrasonic soak and micro soda-blasting to clean out not just jets, but entire fuel-circuits inside carbs. Basically you want to scrub everywhere petrol flows from beginning to end. There's A LOT of stuff before and after jets that needs attention.

Vacuum leaks may occur in rubber manifolds between carb & head. Intake runners between carb & airbox. Every single vacuum-hose should be pressure-tested and re-installed with some kind of clamping mechanism; zip-ties or hose-clamps. Also should replace all rubber components, float-bowl seals, fuel-distribution pipe O-rings, pilot-jet adjustment-screw O-rings.

Check out this thread for pictures of areas that needs cleaning. Also do search for "ducatiman clean carbs" for similar issues and really, really simple fix for your issue (takes no more than 10-minutes really).

Old June 19th, 2020, 04:33 AM   #8
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I would definitely do a thorough cleaning of the carbs...