ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
kkim

DIY- Woodcraft Clipon Install

The UPS guy finally made it to my house yesterday afternoon, but as luck would have it, I was at work and didn't get to play with the parts until well after midnight.

Get home and this is what I find. Yay!!

Unpack the parts-

instructions if you're interested.

unwrap the goodies and you'll find a 2 piece clamp for the forks, a bracket to raise the bars, the bars themselves and mounting hardware.

I immediately start to test fit the pieces to figure out how everything goes together so tomorrow will be easier for the install.

One side assembled, I start on the other. I must comment on how high quality and precise these pieces are. Here you can see the riser connected to the clamp. The tolerance is so accurate, the pieces snap together like pieces of Leggo. The riser is simply stuck onto the clamp in this picture. If you look closely, you'll see there are no screws holding the parts together.

Both sides completed.

Bar end on the handlebar.

So far, I'm impressed with the quality of the parts and the instructions. I just hope the install tomorrow goes as smoothly as the kit is designed.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
kkim

Okay, install time. First thing I do is loosely fit the clip on to the fork to get some idea of the difference of the bar position from stock. This is what the difference will be. Keep in mind I already have 1" blocks under the stock handlebars so the difference seems much more dramatic than it would be on a stock bike.

Okay... down to business. The instructions say to "remove the stock grips, controls and clipon assembly". Easier said than done.

I like it when I get to play with fire.

adjust the flame as small as you can, then apply to the bar end.

after it heats, use an impact hammer and a #3 Phillips head bit and whack it a couple of times. If it doesn't move, heat it again and try again. Eventually it will start to give and the screw in the bar end will come out. They use red loctite in there and heat helps to break it down for easier removal. Without using heat, there is no way that screw is coming out, so be forewarned.

loosen the 2 screws on the left hand switch assembly and the 10mm nut on the clutch perch. The idea is to slide these pieces off the bar once the bar is removed from the bike, then slide them back onto the new Woodcraft clipon bar.

next is to remove the stock handgrip. I was planning to reuse it, so I was careful not to tear it. If you're changing yours out, you might consider cutting it off.

I stuck an awl under the grip to break the glue loose, then used a longer screwdriver to work my way all the way through to the other side of the grip.

I injected some water under the grip to act as a lubricant and twisted the grip off the stock bar.

Remove the stock bar and the 1" blocks I has installed about 8 months ago.

Now that the bar is loose, I can slide the controls off the end of the stock bar.

... and slide them onto the new bar.

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
kkim

At this point I mount the fork clamp with the 4 screws below the triple clamp.

I go back and loctite the 3 screws that hold the riser to the clamp (as per the instructions) using a tube of blue loctite that is most likely older than some forum members here.

Also, you need to drill a hole in the handle bar after you've figured out where the switch assembly will end up. There is a "nub" on the inside of the switch assembly that keeps it from rotating on the bar. I used the hole in the stock bar as a guide to figure out what size hole needed to be drilled. It was a 7/32" drill bit I used. Mark it, punch it and drill it.

Slide the clutch and switch assembly onto the handlebar then the handlebar into the riser.

I used an old dirt bike trick to mount grips and sprayed the handlebar and the inside of the grip with clear paint. The paint acts as a lubricant to slide the rubber grip on and when it dries, it glues the grip to the bar. Use a lot so it will slide on easily. Also, protect the bike as it will drip. You can see the rag covering the bodywork.

Here are some shots comparing the stock vs clip on position.

some shots of clearance with the bars at full lock. Yeah, it's tight, but it does clear and does not touch anything if you adjust everything just right.

so that's the left side... right side essentially the same. Remove controls, stock handlebar, install new clip ons.

My camera battery died at this point and had to work w/o pictures. Here is the finished product.

Okay... so what is the result. Ummm... have not ridden the bike yet, so I can't give you riding feedback. It was raining when I was working on this today. However, I will say the reach to the bars is a lot farther than stock. To be truthful, I don't know if I like the change or not. I will reserve my final judgment until I get to ride it.

If you do this mod, take your time and get it right. These are controls we are talking about here and any shortcuts or lazy fixes will have a way to come back to haunt you later. There is much adjusting and tweaking I need to do before the final placement of all the controls are set. In all, the Woodcraft kit is a high quality, precision made setup that will do the job it was designed to do. I have no reservations recommending this to anyone wanting to install clipons on their 250R.

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Thats looks great! Thanks for posting up the DIY.
maxedpenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

as always, excellent documentation and narration throughout. and WOW!..that is a HUGE difference from what you had previously! after having the woodcraft clips on my bike...that day we swapped...felt like i was riding a bike with ape hanger

good job bruddah

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #6
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

You are the DIY Master !!!
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #7
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

How much did they run you? shipped to hawaii if you don't mind me asking..... Looks great btw and thanks for the DIY
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #8
kkim

180 plus 25 for shipping.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...dProduct=18129

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #9
Matty E
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Here are some comparison pics between the standard height bars (without the 1" blocks) and the Woodcraft items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04022009109.jpg (61.0 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg 04022009110.jpg (61.4 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 04022009111.jpg (57.2 KB, 413 views)
Matty E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #10
kkim

Thank you, sir.

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #11
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Great set of pictures Kelly! Very curious to hear what you think after you've had a chance to ride with them.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #12
kkim

Thanks, Ken. Believe me, I'm curious as well.

Funny thing is, I rode Komohana's first gen bike with the clip ons and really liked the improved riding position. With my bike, I'm not too sure from just sitting on it in my garage. Maybe if I had made some "vroom, vroom" noises it might have helped. We'll see.

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think you'll like 'em just fine. Clip-ons always feel a bit too aggressive when the bike is moving 0 mph. Once up to speed, everything feels much more natural, primarily due to all of that wind helping support your head and torso, no matter how much we try and tuck behind that small screen.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #14
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Yes. Post ride report is required.

I'm on the fence about the clipons. Not if I want them but if I want them enough to buy them instead of a trackday instead. lol.. I would rather be on the track with stock bars than on the street with clipons. But hopefully I can fit the clipons in somewhere without eating into tracktime.

My budget is very small at the moment. x_x
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #15
kkim

Yeah, that's what I am hoping. Dunno... but the reach for me is sorta long. I'm pretty short and liked the cbr600s cause the reach over the tank was short compared to the other 600s. The 250 with the clipons just feels "large" now, with a long reach over the tank to the bars. I guess for taller riders, this would be an excellent mod to make the bike feel "bigger".

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #16
kkim

Kuro,

I agree. If having to choose, I'd pick the track, too.

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #17
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Have you considering getting longer-arm transplants?

But yeah as Alex pointed out the difference is when you're riding. I find that it sits a LITTLE more forward then the newer CBR600's (I felt it out on my friends ). Now if you threw on some rearsets then it would be awesome for the track, but probably too much for the streets.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #18
kkim

dammit... you guys are forcing me to go riding tomorrow just to find out. it's all your fault.

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Ninja007
忍者

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): None Now - Used to have an '08 Ninja 250R Candy Blue

thanks for the write-up Kelly! you always do such a nice job. I liked the pics a lot too!
Ninja007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #20
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

very nice DIY, thank you Kelly. I too am looking forward to hearing your opinion on them once you've ridden around for a little. btw, you said you are "short"...how short is short? I'm merely 5'6" and was considering these in the future to put me in a slightly more aggressive stance (I'm young, I can handle the position change for long rides) but I wouldn't want to be stretched across the bike.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #21
kkim

I'm 5'6"-5'7". Wear size medium clothes, so I think we're about the same size, but not age.

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #22
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

lol, yes, that makes us exactly the same size...and perhaps the same age at heart...
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #23
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

You go from raising your bars to dropping them down. What's up with that?

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #24
kkim

Raising the bars was done to lower the front forks with the stock handlebars for better cornering. Until now, there was no viable clipon kit for our bikes.

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #25
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
dammit... you guys are forcing me to go riding tomorrow just to find out. it's all your fault.
We do what we can. Right guys?!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #26
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

kkim,

Referencing the attached picture. If you moved the triple tree top bracket (blue arrow) to the top (yellow arrow) and moved the clip-on up the same distance (white arrow) wouldn't you reduce the distance your arms have to reach, along with bringing the front height of the bike back to the original specs? Gain comfort, lever adjustability, retain the clip-ons and possibly lose quicker steering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip-on.JPG (140.3 KB, 181 views)
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #27
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Or if you put the clip-on's up on the top of the fork tubes that are sticking up........ Oh wait that would be like stock again....

Hey, you do all that work and re-use the stock grips? Shame on you
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #28
kkim

Sam, I'll keep that in mind as I try different things to see what I like and to make this work. I presently have the bike apart working on an earlier issue.

Kerry, I have no problem with the stock position of the bars. I was after lowering the front end for better turning. If I can put them above w/o clearance issues, I'll try that, too.

I kinda like the stock grips.

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #29
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Did you get any riding in today ? How does it feel compared to your risers ?
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #30
kkim

Steve,

sorry... didn't ride today. Had the bike apart to fix a previous issue... parts just came in.

Next chance to ride won't be until this weekend. I'll be sure to update.

Old February 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #31
Matty E
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

I rode to work today with mine. I found it actually made the slower turns easier, thought that it would be the other way around.

The wind buffeting was much better. About 100kph I noticed the wind really helping me hold the body up which I didn't find so much before the change.

It was much quicker to flick from side to side though it was a ride to work so not a good ride for the bendy stuff..
Matty E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #32
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Name: Alvin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R, previous bike owned 08 Ninja 250R Blue

Thanks for the write-up Kelly! Mine is arriving today and will certainly be using your write-up as a guide.
minizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #33
kkim

That's why I do these... to help people when they get theirs. Will be very curious to hear your feedback once you get them on, if you don't mind sharing.

Old February 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #34
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
That's why I do these... to help people when they get theirs. Will be very curious to hear your feedback once you get them on, if you don't mind sharing.
I'll let you know how it handles. It's raining this weekend though. Hopefully I can have it installed by Sunday.

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #35
minizoom
ninjette.org member

I just finished installing the bars on the bike. Took the bike for a short run on the side streets. It totally feels like a new bike, more sporty. Almost like sitting on my friend’s gixxer 750. I don’t know about long rides though, it’s not as comfy as the original bars. If you’re more into comfort then just leave the bike alone. As far as handling goes it seems like it would be better, by bringing body position lower. I’ll know more by this week if it stops raining here in socal.

Old February 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #36
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Very nice DIY KK (as usual). Wish I would have gotten ahold of you before you bought them... I have them for $159 on my site

http://store.racebikerentals.com/mer...tore_Code=0001

(Alex, please forgive me. The store is new and I thought your constituency would appreciate the killer deal)

Old February 7th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
(Alex, please forgive me. The store is new and I thought your constituency would appreciate the killer deal)
No issues here, thx for posting it up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #38
kkim

Quote:
Very nice DIY KK (as usual). Wish I would have gotten ahold of you before you bought them... I have them for $159 on my site

Aloha, Richard!

I wish you had, too, as I always want to support the "good guys" in the industry and you are certainly one of them. I wish you well on your (another) new venture! You can be sure I'll be looking at what your store has to offer in the future.

Nice hearing from you, stranger.

Old February 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #39
minizoom
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Do you charge for CA sales tax?

Old February 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #40
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Might be placing an order from Richard myself...
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote