ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 30th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 race prepped, 2009 Zx6R

What are these airbox hoses for?

I have my track bike and i was doing some house keeping today while im awaiting parts.. was removing wires from harness that are no longer needed and i started thinking about this hose that comes from the top of the airbox and runs under the frame to the front.. i looked up the part and apparently it is part of the CA spec emissions control system. Well interesting thing is, my tank only has the one nipple coming off it from the side making me thing either the people before shaved and welded off the other two or that mine was originally a CA spec bike or something I dont know.. biggest question is should i be ok to take these hoses off? I assume I can, if anything i need to check my local club rule book but im more wondering from a workability aspect of the bike... let me know if you have more in depth understanding of this and what i should do..

Braden07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
That's the blinker fluid supply line. Don't mess with it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
That's the blinker fluid supply line. Don't mess with it.

lol blinker fluid supply?? good thing i dont have any blinkers

so does that mean you think its ok to take it off and just cap the port coming off the airbox or mesh it over to allow flow through?

Old January 30th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its a vacuum valve that opens the crank case breather to the intake, the other part of the system vents the gas tank through the charcoal filter.

Old January 30th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
its a vacuum valve that opens the crank case breather to the intake, the other part of the system vents the gas tank through the charcoal filter.

gotcha.. since i have the PAIR delete and nothing else hooked up to that then i assume its useless.. ill just cap the part at the airbox and be done with it

Old February 1st, 2015, 06:40 PM   #6
BrianATX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Clean Air System

I thought the crank case breather also attached to the Air Box?
I know the top line you have open in your first picture leads to the silver colored exhaust plate you have capped off in that same picture. This dumps clean air from the line you are holding in your second picture from the clean (filtered) side of the air box into it. This "reduces" emissions by putting more clean air into the exhaust. The third line at the bottom of the clean air system connected to the carburetor in a three way junction.

When I removed my clean air system I capped that silver plate (like you did already), put in a two way junction at the carburetor connection eliminating that connection, and removed the air box for pods. Leaving the crank case hose unconnected. I put a crank case breather on that remaining hose since it once connected to the now removed air box.

EDIT: I doubt it needs to be said but once you do this that clean air system is not connected to anything and can be unbolted from the frame. I personally threw mine into a box of useless stuff (like the air box) that I should throw away but will likely hold onto for the rest of my life.

Last futzed with by BrianATX; February 1st, 2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Horder
BrianATX is offline   Reply With Quote