ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #41
Trixxr
ninjette.org member

Name: Anders

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
Let me just follow up on what John noticed about the very special CA models. Notice the 3 hoses on the side of the tank. Left one is for air, middle one is for orange juice (with pulp), and right one is for introducing gasoline to the OJ mixture. That big black box with the thick rubber straps around it is where you insert whole oranges.

This made my day!
Trixxr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:12 AM   #42
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

A few pics seem to be disabled or missing.. anyone know whats up with that or where I could find them?

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM   #43
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

yeah fix dem photos- i think i got hoses wonky- Pwease
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #44
amodea1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Ninja ZX-2.5R

I jsut did this myself due to some bad gas lol..the vacuum line is the smaller one that is farthest back on the silver dangly thing which is the pet cock and should be removed first..the second one that is the forward of the two lines is the fuel which will prolly leak a little bit cause there is gas in it..
amodea1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #45
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

I don't know about you all, but the gray vent hose was a PITA to pull off!
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #46
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

really? the vent hose came off pretty easily. just gotta take the clip off then it pulls right off.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #47
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Yea, clip off and I had to tug on that thing. Bike is brand new though, only have 1.5 miles on it when I pulled the tank to shim the carbs.

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #48
kkim

As with any hose, if you are having problems with it, a little lube helps a lot.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #49
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

ahh, I see what you did there!

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #50
deezyellownutz
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Zx10R 2009 250R

Okay, I've done all kinds of repairs and fixes and I'm not afraid of anything. I've never swapped a gas tank before. Can anyone give me some tips for swapping from one tank to another? The current tank still has gas in it. Should I just drain the entire tank into a container and are there any tips for swapping the petcock over (makes me laugh every time... lol) to the new tank. I was thinking about replacing the seal as well.

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #51
peter330
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Blue

planning on doing the shim mod just got my washers in. However some pictures are missing fomr this DIY. Is it just me or are you seeing the same thing?
peter330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #52
kkim

DIY has finally been updated with some new pictures.

Thanks for the edit, Alex.

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM   #53
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

Fuel Tap (Petcock) torque specs

FYI, the 1st and 2nd edition service manual have incorrect torque specs (2.5 Nm) for the Fuel Tap Mounting Bolts (the bolts that hold the petcock to the tank). The 3rd edition manual lists the correct value of 5 Nm in the exploded view diagram, but still has the incorrect value in the Fuel Tank Installation section.

Just got off the phone with Kawasaki Customer Service confirming this.

TL;DR: Fuel Tap (Petcock) mounting bolts should be torque'd to 5 Nm (44 in-lbs), not 2.5 Nm (22 in-lbs).
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM   #54
kkim

just be sure you use inch/pounds and not foot/pounds on the torque wrench.

you do know that we're talking 3.5 ft/lbs vs 2 ft/lbs? that's barely hand tight, if that.

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM   #55
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
just be sure you use inch/pounds and not foot/pounds on the torque wrench.

you do know that we're talking 3.5 ft/lbs vs 2 ft/lbs? that's barely hand tight, if that.
Haha, yup, and good point. That's exactly why I made a big deal confirming it -- if they went to the trouble to specify it, it must matter if it's over-tightened.
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM   #56
kkim

well, they upped the spec to almost double of what it was. wonder if they had problems with fuel leaking past the petcock base seal.

Old August 21st, 2010, 04:48 PM   #57
kkim

Hey, Lux... you figure out how to get that hose off the tank?

Old August 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM   #58
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Yeahp, I saw your other replies! I must have missed them when I first read the thread. Haven't tried it yet but will soon. Thank you!
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM   #59
kkim

Old August 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #60
lux
ninjette.org guru

I still can't get the gray hose off. I sprayed it with WD-40, waited about 5 minutes. Same thing. Sprayed more, sprayed more. Sprayed more and waited about an hour. It's not coming off. lol I thought I would thread it from the bottom, so I tried removing the vacuum hose. It won't come off either.

Is there enough slack that I can cut the vacuum hose? Then I guess I can thread the gray hose from the bottom then remove the petcock hose.

Any harm in riding with a slip-on without doing the carb shimming?

BTW, LeoVince slip-on (without silencer) sounds awesome.

Thank you for any assistance.

Old August 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #61
kkim

Lux,

use the red tube nozzle they give you w/ the wd-40 and put it where the hose and nipple meet. Spray some under the hose and twist it to work it in. it will come out.

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #62
lux
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Lux,

use the red tube nozzle they give you w/ the wd-40 and put it where the hose and nipple meet. Spray some under the hose and twist it to work it in. it will come out.
I did that. I'm trying to find something with a u-shaped curve so I can try to get the hose off. Went for a ride and the bike feels about the same. But would definitely like to do the carb shimming. lol

Old August 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #63
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I did that. I'm trying to find something with a u-shaped curve so I can try to get the hose off. Went for a ride and the bike feels about the same. But would definitely like to do the carb shimming. lol
sounds silly, but have you moved the metal retaining clip back down the hose a bit? if you have and you've been able to get some lubricant under the hose end, the hose should slide right off. picture if you're still having problems?

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #64
lux
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
sounds silly, but have you moved the metal retaining clip back down the hose a bit? ...
Yeahp. I'll try again when I have some more time. Thanks for the reply.

Old August 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #65
MattRichling
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black

Quote:
drawing to go with your pic. from a pregen, but essentially explains what those hoses are for.
anychance someone has this for the newgen? non Cali models?
MattRichling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #66
indnracn2
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mani

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

or anyone have the one for the newgen cali version need to know where the hoses go by chance since the bike i have has all the hoses disconnected trying to trace back to the tank to figure out how they go back. I did notice that the tank has some color dots on them but unsure how the hoses connect back up since the cali version has 3 hoses there and 2 under tank to petcock and one to a black valve also under tank
indnracn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #67
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I'll dig into my pics for you when I get a chance, but from left to right:

-first hole is your overflow and the longest hose. It'll go to underneath your bike by the shock area
-second hole (blue dot) is a black hose that connects to your CA emissions box near the front of the bike
-third hole (red dot) is a red hose also connected to your CA emissions

Are the other ends connected or do you need those as well?

For your petcock, the smaller hose is your vacuum and the larger hose is your fuel. You can't really mixed them up since they won't fit the other connection. Not sure what the black valve thing is you're talking about. pic? I think you're talking about the CA emissions.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #68
Cuongism

I removed my CA emissions, but you can see how the overflow goes to the bottom of the bike. The other two hose connect to the CA emissions which look like:

And for the petcock, the hoses come from the carbs and there should be two free:

The hose on the right in the pic is for the fuel and it'll be on your clutch side of the carb. The vacuum hose is smaller and it'll be around the center.

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #69
indnracn2
ninjette.org newbie

dude thanks alot that looks great thanks for the info. Ok the thing i have is my hoses are all black but there is a red dot blue dot and no dot on the tank so i can decipher which one is which the problem is my hoses all connect to something and i cant figure how from what to connect the stuff on the tank meaning the vacuum hose i can figure out now based on your diagram but the evap system i had 2 hoses one on top of this round cylinder evap system and then i have another hose that connects to the side of that cylinder and it says to CARB there so not sure where those 2 hoses conncect. Now under the tank thats easy you said the two hoses to the pet cock but hten i have just one loose black hose hanging there comes from under the seat to the tank there just hanging out not connected but then theres also a black plastic nipple there also not connected .. does that hose connect to that?

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #70
indnracn2
ninjette.org newbie

Just curious also does remove the evap system help any... whats the purpose? any advantage or disadvantage?

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #71
Cuongism

CA emissions is only required in CA because of the strict emissions they have here. It recycles part of your emissions back into the system making air cleaner. I don't think it helps or hurts performance, but it's just extra weight and unnecessary in my opinion so I removed it (also removed it from my other bikes with no issues).

So there should be 3 connections near your petcock:

Fuel hose is easy since it's thickest:

I don't have the best pictures of my carbs (and I also modified a bunch), so you're gonna have to bear with me. There are two hoses at the front of the carbs on opposite ends of your choke cable:

The hose on the clutch side (bottom one in pic above) is your vacuum hose that connects to your petcock. The other hose is the coasting enrichener that connects to the other side of the carb. Since you have a CA bike, there should a T there that has a third hose coming out of it. That's the hose that connects to the CA emissions. In the pic below, my finger is on the T, but my hose is capped off since I removed the CA emissions.

If you look at the pic of the carb that was removed in my prior post, I have an arrow of where the hose that goes to the petcock connects to. Also, there is an arrow at the very top showing where a T should be that connects to your emissions.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #72
Cuongism

According to the diagram above showing the pregen, the blue dot hose connects to the top of the cylinder with two ports (other port connects to the large canister). Red dot hose connects to the side of the cylinder and the hose at the bottom of the cylninder (with one port) connects to the carb. Can't imagine they changed cylinders, so hopefully that works. I removed it looong ago so don't remember.

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:03 PM   #73
Cuongism

Sorry Mani, can't read what you wrote in the pics. Any chance you can put a higher res pic in?

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:22 PM   #74
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Click the pictures, and they pop up full-size (and should be readable)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:25 PM   #75
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

In order left to right within the pictures and across the attachments.

pic 1.jpg:
- carbs [sic]
- This hose doesn't connect to anything is that the fuel overflow however it sits under the seat just hanging there nothing connected to it [sic]

pic 2.jpg
- hose connects to under gas tank [sic]
- connected to the carb on the left side but has a T that is not connected to t he other side as the pic from theweb shows. However the other side of the hose connects to the bottom of the gas tank is that correct or did prev owner just fudge this all up. I ask because the bike is not currently running properly dies with any throttle. [Sic]

jus tryin to hep
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:49 PM   #76
indnracn2
ninjette.org newbie

maybe you can check out my pics i tried to show you some ill take some more but lighting was bad but according to the pic i took offline hose should cnnect from each side of carb and have a t mine is 1 side from carb to t to gas tank and other one goes to petcock its wierd how the hoses areset up any chance in getting a thoriough diagram for newgens similar to thecolored diagram so it might help me figure out where all these hoses go?

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:53 PM   #77
indnracn2
ninjette.org newbie

ducducgooseit thanks for your help. I just redid the post. Hope that helps?

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM   #78
Cuongism

For your first pic, that is the fuel overflow, so one side connects to a nipple on top of the middle of the carb and then routes underneath your bike to nothingness.

In your second pic, it's hard to see which hose is what, but it looks like that hose is the vacuum hose since it's right next to your choke cable piece. If it's a T, one side conects to your petcock (the one with the small clamp on the end) and you should cap the other end. The other end can be used to sync your carbs in the future.

You should have another hose that connects your other carb from the left and right. You might not necessarily have a T in that hose since I've seen some CA bikes here without it. See if you can take a broader pic that shows all your hoses somehow.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM   #79
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Don't forget my gas tank holder. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70006

It isn't necessary, but super convienient to have if you remove your tank often.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #80
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

What's the beSt way to move the little clip on the vacuum tube under the gas tank? The one connecting the hose to the petcock. I can't seem to get the clip slide back up to hold the hose there.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote